ADVERTISEMENT

Where not to go for a new coach (if that will happen)...

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
It is depressing that Stephanie White's Vanderbilt team (and she is one of Purdue's all time greats in any sport) as head coach, along with Purdue's Shereka Wright and Kelly Komara as assistants, are presently 3-9 in the SEC with four games left - three against teams in the upper half of the conference. Their overall record is 13-12 due to a less than challenging non-conference schedule. Their RPI is ranked 101 and SOS is 41.

This is her 4th year with a losing record in both overall (unless this year she can pull off an upset going forward) and conference records. She really has not had a competitive team there. One wonders how long it will be before the trigger is pulled.

Last edited:
It is depressing that Stephanie White's Vanderbilt team (and she is one of Purdue's all time greats in any sport) as head coach, along with Purdue's Shereka Wright and Kelly Komara as assistants, are presently 3-9 in the SEC with four games left - three against teams in the upper half of the conference. Their overall record is 13-12 due to a less than challenging non-conference schedule. Their RPI is ranked 101 and SOS is 41.

This is her 4th year with a losing record in both overall (unless this year she can pull off an upset going forward) and conference records. She really has not had a competitive team there. One wonders how long it will be before the trigger is pulled.
Have to wonder what the problem is? Steph was successful as coach of the Fever and have to wonder if it was coaching or just the talent of Tamika Catchings? I also thought Steph got some prime time recruits to Nashville but without good results.

It could certainly be worse. There were some here that thought we really missed the boat when she went to Vanderbilt. They have really done nothing down there.

Speaking of former Boilermakers coaching women's basketball in the SEC, Curry's Alabama squad is only 1 game better right now than Vanderbilt. Looks like it will be 7-for-7 seasons of her missing the NCAA tournament there. She has still not won a NCAA tournament game since leaving Purdue. Have to wonder if her coaching career is essentially over whenever Alabama pulls the plug on her. Should it be after this season, it would produce a little symmetry to her coaching career as she will have spent exactly 7 seasons at each Purdue, Texas Tech, and Alabama.

Reactions: pufan73 and DocRon
It could certainly be worse. There were some here that thought we really missed the boat when she went to Vanderbilt. They have really done nothing down there.

Speaking of former Boilermakers coaching women's basketball in the SEC, Curry's Alabama squad is only 1 game better right now than Vanderbilt. Looks like it will be 7-for-7 seasons of her missing the NCAA tournament there. She has still not won a NCAA tournament game since leaving Purdue. Have to wonder if her coaching career is essentially over whenever Alabama pulls the plug on her. Should it be after this season, it would produce a little symmetry to her coaching career as she will have spent exactly 7 seasons at each Purdue, Texas Tech, and Alabama.

You bring up Curry in virtually every post!
Curry wasn’t a former Boilermaker, she coached here like 5 years. Steph was a Purdue grad and star.

Curry wasn’t a former Boilermaker, she coached here like 5 years. Steph was a Purdue grad and star.
About everybody in Mackey Arena should be eligible as they all knew who was going to take the last shot for MSU and we played D like an 8th grade team. What a travesty.

Reactions: doubleyous

Very true, but neither of them should be mentioned in a discussion of FUTURE Purdue coaches. No one would want Curry to return and I, among many others wouldn't want White to get the job.

Reactions: DocRon
Very true, but neither of them should be mentioned in a discussion of FUTURE Purdue coaches. No one would want Curry to return and I, among many others wouldn't want White to get the job.

I agree! I just don’t understand continuing to talk about a coach that’s been gone for 14 years

Coached seven years. Won 25 or more games four times. Won 20 or more six times. Won a school record 78% of all games. Was 14-6 in NCAA tourney games. Record in home games was 90 wins and 10 defeats. Was 7-2 vs Notre Dame and Versyp never beat the Irish and finally stopped scheduling them. How soon we forget the excellence we enjoyed through four previous coaches.

I agree! I just don’t understand continuing to talk about a coach that’s been gone for 14 years

Not one coach or 14 years. From 1987 through 2006, a span of 19 years we had four coaches and we made three trips to the Final Four, wining one, finishing second once and consistently competed for the finest national talent and were 33-15 in NCAA competition. Won 7 Big Ten titles and five Big Ten Tournament championships.

Coached seven years. Won 25 or more games four times. Won 20 or more six times. Won a school record 78% of all games. Was 14-6 in NCAA tourney games. Record in home games was 90 wins and 10 defeats. Was 7-2 vs Notre Dame and Versyp never beat the Irish and finally stopped scheduling them. How soon we forget the excellence we enjoyed through four previous coaches.
Amen DES!!

My mistake, 7 years. But I still don’t care what she’s done after Purdue.
If TC4THREE wants to bring up what Curry is doing right now, and her experience since she dumped us, that is fine with me. I, for one, appreciated the info as I did not know her current status.

This is, after all, a woman's basketball internet board and people are free to post what they want. If you "don't care" then don't read it.

If TC4THREE wants to bring up what Curry is doing right now, and her experience since she dumped us, that is fine with me. I, for one, appreciated the info as I did not know her current status.

This is, after all, a woman's basketball internet board and people are free to post what they want. If you "don't care" then don't read it.

That’s not the point. The discussion was about Not hiring Steph and he brought up
Curry, again.

That’s not the point. The discussion was about Not hiring Steph and he brought up
Curry, again.
Gosh, BoilerRam, read his post. There is no way that TC4THREE was lobbying to consider Curry.

And, BTW, MY post was about how White would never be a HC candidate here and how unfortunate it is that her record at Vanderbilt has been so terrible. His response, in my opinion, was completely on topic.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Gosh, BoilerRam, read his post. There is no way that TC4THREE was lobbying to consider Curry.

And, BTW, MY post was about how White would never be a HC candidate here and how unfortunate it is that her record at Vanderbilt has been so terrible. His response, in my opinion, was completely on topic.

I know he doesn’t want Curry back. I get it!
But he constantly brings her up when it doesn’t relate to the conversation.
I know what your post was about, that was the point. It wasn’t about Curry

And excellently left us on probation!!

Reactions: WaltV
I know he doesn’t want Curry back. I get it!
But he constantly brings her up when it doesn’t relate to the conversation.
I know what your post was about, that was the point. It wasn’t about Curry

Why do you care so much if I bring her up?

The thread started talking about a former Boilermaker who is now a failed coach elsewhere. I just extended it to include a 2nd.

I suspect that the real reason for Curry's success was Katrina Merriweather---recruiting especially, but also coaching guards. She has been very successful as the head coach of Wright State and should be considered for the Purdue job, in my opinion.

"Katrina Merriweather was named as the seventh head coach in Wright State women's basketball coach on April 19, 2016 and she hasn't stopped running.

The 2016-17 was historic for the WSU women's basketball program as she led the Raiders to 25 wins and a berth in the WNIT, hosting the first round game before taking Michigan to the brink in the round two. Another first came as the Raiders received votes in the national Top 25 for the first-time ever. Named the Horizon League Coach of the Year, Merriweather set the bar higher than ever, and expects to achieve new heights.

Her second season at the helm was much of the same success as the team advanced to the WNIT again. The Raiders finished the season at 23-11, 12-6 as Chelsea Welch was named the Player of the Year and to the league's first team. Emily Vogelpohl also was honored as she was placed on the All-Defensive Team. Welch later signed a professional contract to play in Portugal.

The 2018-19 season saw Merriweather take the program to new heights with a record of 27-7, 16-2 and the school's first-ever regular-season title. WSU cruised through the Horizon League Tournament and advanced to just its second NCAA Tournament, playing at Texas A&M. Four Wright State women's basketball players and head coach Katrina Merriweather were honored by the Horizon League. Merriweather was named the Coach of the Year as Mackenzie Taylor was selected to the first team, Symone Simmons to the second team, Angel Baker to the Freshman Team and Emily Vogelpohl to the All-Defensive Team.

A former assistant at Purdue, UIC and Cincinnati, Merriweather joined the Wright State women's basketball coaching staff as an assistant in September, 2010.

Teaming with then-head coach Mike Bradbury, the Raiders reached new heights in 2010-11 as WSU played in its first Division I post-season tournament with two games in the Women's Basketball Invitational and secured the program's first 20-win in Division I.

An assistant with the Boilermakers from 2003-06, Merriweather served as the program's recruiting coordinator and assisted with scouting along with coaching the guards."

She is currently in second place in the Horizon, tied with perennial power Green Bay.

Reactions: Bigohh
I suspect that the real reason for Curry's success was Katrina Merriweather---recruiting especially, but also coaching guards. She has been very successful as the head coach of Wright State and should be considered for the Purdue job, in my opinion.

"Katrina Merriweather was named as the seventh head coach in Wright State women's basketball coach on April 19, 2016 and she hasn't stopped running.

The 2016-17 was historic for the WSU women's basketball program as she led the Raiders to 25 wins and a berth in the WNIT, hosting the first round game before taking Michigan to the brink in the round two. Another first came as the Raiders received votes in the national Top 25 for the first-time ever. Named the Horizon League Coach of the Year, Merriweather set the bar higher than ever, and expects to achieve new heights.

Her second season at the helm was much of the same success as the team advanced to the WNIT again. The Raiders finished the season at 23-11, 12-6 as Chelsea Welch was named the Player of the Year and to the league's first

team. Emily Vogelpohl also was honored as she was placed on the All-Defensive Team. Welch later signed a professional contract to play in Portugal.

The 2018-19 season saw Merriweather take the program to new heights with a record of 27-7, 16-2 and the school's first-ever regular-season title. WSU cruised through the Horizon League Tournament and advanced to just its second NCAA Tournament, playing at Texas A&M. Four Wright State women's basketball players and head coach Katrina Merriweather were honored by the Horizon League. Merriweather was named the Coach of the Year as Mackenzie Taylor was selected to the first team, Symone Simmons to the second team, Angel Baker to the Freshman Team and Emily Vogelpohl to the All-Defensive Team.

A former assistant at Purdue, UIC and Cincinnati, Merriweather joined the Wright State women's basketball coaching staff as an assistant in September, 2010.

Teaming with then-head coach Mike Bradbury, the Raiders reached new heights in 2010-11 as WSU played in its first Division I post-season tournament with two games in the Women's Basketball Invitational and secured the program's first 20-win in Division I.

An assistant with the Boilermakers from 2003-06, Merriweather served as the program's recruiting coordinator and assisted with scouting along with coaching the guards."

She is currently in second place in the Horizon, tied with perennial power Green Bay.

Most longtime observers remember that Katrina, who I do think is an outstanding coach, did not even arrive in WL until Curry’s 5th year. According to the Purdue media guide she only was on staff for two years and had nothing to do with the recruiting of McDonald AA’s Shereka Wright, Erika Valek, Erin Lawless, Katie Geralds or all time top ten scorer Lindsay Wisdom-Hilton. While no reflection on Katrina, Curry’s worst season came after she was on staff.

Most longtime observers remember that Katrina, who I do think is an outstanding coach, did not even arrive in WL until Curry’s 5th year. According to the Purdue media guide she only was on staff for two years and had nothing to do with the recruiting of McDonald AA’s Shereka Wright, Erika Valek, Erin Lawless, Katie Geralds or all time top ten scorer Lindsay Wisdom-Hilton. While no reflection on Katrina, Curry’s worst season came after she was on staff.

I am also a longtime observer/fan; but I appreciate being corrected. I guess my memory failed me---but I do think her recent success has proved her coaching ability. I also remember that she was responsible for the great class that never showed up.

No thanks on Merriweather. Wouldn’t happen anyway. Katie Gearlds took her NAIA Marian team to Dayton in December for an exhibition game and lost by just four. Marian recently won their 5th consecutive Crossroads League championship and will likely garner a number one seed in the NAIA national tournament. Just saying.

O.P. (new coach)….." if that will happen " (??)
WHEN that will happen.

She was a terrible game coach and let'snot forget we were in trouble with the NCAA due to her staff's actions.

Reactions: TC4THREE
She was a terrible game coach and let'snot forget we were in trouble with the NCAA due to her staff's actions.

Well, I am happy for you that you have enjoyed the last fourteen years more than the previous seven. Hip hop hooray!

Reactions: BoilerRam
Bring Stephanie back home, she's lost at Vandy, doesn't mean she'll lose at Purdue. Curry has lost often since she left Purdue, just because one isn't winning at one place doesn't mean they can't win at another.

Bring Stephanie back home, she's lost at Vandy, doesn't mean she'll lose at Purdue. Curry has lost often since she left Purdue, just because one isn't winning at one place doesn't mean they can't win at another.

I doubt we will pay any wbb coach $1 million and especially one who has never had a winning season. I also think SW had made it clear she feels more comfortable culturally in a larger metro community.

What does she have to do with it? How good a game coach she is or isn't has nothing to do with how bad Curry is.

Curry isn’t relevant to this thread. It was about Former Boilermakers like Steph.
Curry neither attended Purdue or played for Purdue, she’s not a Boilermaker.

Really??? She has not just "lost" - her teams have been horrible. After her 4th season at Vandy her teams have finished 13th, 11th, 15th and 12th in the SEC, never making it to either the NCAA or even the WNIT.

Reactions: DAG10 and Carolsh
If looking for and ex Boiler as the next coach. What about Austin Parkinson. Look at what he’s done at IUPUI. That’s almost an impossible place to recruit. Horrible facilities (have u seen where they play home games) and really no campus. He’s about to win the Horizon Championship game right now. I’d say no on Steph. Vandy is a former power and she has been very bad there. Austin or Geralds would be great gets. Both would infuse some excitement in program.

Let me edit this. He just led IUPUI to the Championship and into the NCAA tourney for the 1st time in program history.

Last edited:
Reactions: pu1985 and DAG10
I disagree. Gene Keady is a Boilermaker.

Of course he is, I agree. He’s also the second longest tenured coach at Purdue. He became a Purdue icon and was never a head coach again. Not a great comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT