ADVERTISEMENT

Katie Gearlds Show for Monday 11/15/2021 Notes

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Since WBB gets so little coverage, I will, at least for a little while, transcribe KG's show for those who don't want to listen to it. I think we are all curious what this next year will bring. It is more or less a complete transcription except for omitting a few extraneous comments and shortening some of the run-ons.. I occasionally add extras (Like positions, height, years played or the speaker's facial emotions etc.) and have tried to remember to put them in italics. I am sure there are errors as I am not a great typist. Take it for what it is worth.

Katie Gearlds Show. Nov. 15, 2021
Tim Newton (TN) and Katie Gearlds (KG) with guest Ra Shaya Kyle (RK)

TN: Now you have played two games & are undefeated. You’ve never trailed. You can retire. (Laughs)

KG: Yes, let’s have the banquet right now. (Smiles)

TN: You started both games on an 11-0 run. At Western Kentucky University (WKU), did that take some of the nerves away (starting your first real game.)?

KG: Yeah, what WKU showed us - we weren’t prepared for it. So for us to go up by 11 is a a good thing considering we only won by 10. For us to handle that was a good thing. Same with Western Michigan University (WMU), for us to go up by 11 and we only won by 8 so good things for the hot start.

TN: You talk of WKU doing the unexpected, basically they trapped you as soon as you got the ball throwing a couple of players at whoever had the BB. It threw you out of rhythm offensively.

KG: Yeah, they did a really good job of that actually. We weren’t’t comfortable and Madison picking up 3 fouls in the 1st half that was a big loss for us. In the 2nd half we let her inbound the ball - she just brings a calmness about her. If you look at our roster, we’re pretty young and inexperienced out there and I thought that showed. But for us to win and be greedy (?) and find a way to win on the road and in that environment I thought it showed a lot of character about who we can be.

TN: Speaking of fouls, it was a game that had zero flow to it, there was no rhythm because there were so many fouls and TOs and a lot of stoppages of play. With 5 mins left in the 3rdQ you had 5 players with 3 fouls each. And those were players you needed on the floor. You must have been thinking “How can I make these next few mins go quickly?”

KG: Yeah, we did a lot of game management there especially during the 2nd half. I was wondering if I had to get my shoes and go out there (smile). But we found a way. Everyone stepped up - like Jayla. She showed her potential. She has STAR written all over her. She still has some growing up to do as do all of us - just look at our team.

We talk about it all the time - the inexperience. I mean, Shaya played 7 mins a game last year and she played 26 mins Sunday. Madison - yes, she’’s a sophomore but her role has completely changed. The dynamic of our team and everyone’s role has been magnified to the Nth degree. Being on top of that experience - it’s been a whole coaching change and it’s brand new.

TN: I thought the most impressive thing in the WKU game was that you had a big lead early and then they had a real run at the end of the half and they had the ball to start the second half. They had a chance to tie or take the lead and get the crowd going. But they never got the lead and you got the momentum back & built the lead up to as many as 17 pts,

KG: Yeah, we talked about it at half time that we needed to make sure we got a stop to start the 2nd half. And we did that. I think Madison hits two 3PTs in a row and Brooke hits one. We were up 15 with 3 mins to go and then there were some careless TOs that allows them to get it down to a 10 pt margin. But we’ll take it - any win you can get on the road. We talked about it yesterday that we understand where we are. We’re never going to be the favorite. We are going to be the underdog most nights. And we have to play with that kind of mentality every day.

TN: One of the things that has to give you some calm is that your point guard, Abbey Ellis, is one of the top FT shooters in the country so far. She is in the Top 10 nationally at 86% and Wed. She hits 9/10 from the stripe (at WKU)

KG: Yeah and she missed one Sunday and I told her that’s all (the misses) she gets all year - just two. (Smile)

TN: And she wasn’t alone (at WKU), she had double figures at 17 pts and Madison at 13 pts and Jayla had 11 pts. I think she brings a different dimension to this team. She flashed her athleticism at times.

KG:Yes, she got her hands on some balls on the defensive end and was able to get out in the open court and get some buckets when we needed them - when we were struggling. She’s different than pretty much anyone else on our team with her length and athleticism. She has the best vertical on our team. Like I said, she has STAR written all over her and if she wants it she can get it.

TN: She had 4 of your 12 steals against WKU but she averaged 12.5 steals/game in her HS senior season so I am sure she is got a lot of pts in transition in HS.

KG: She did. And Jayla is a great shooter too. She is fine with the deeper (3PT) line. Once she gets it all figured out, the sky is the limit for that kid.

TN: On-line question about Skye WIlliams. We talked on an earlier show about her having ankle surgery and she is still trying to recover from that.

KG: Yeah, she had a little bit of a “hick-up” and had to go back in and get “tightened up” again. She’s working every day to get better and, obviously, working on her academics. She’s working every day to get better and get back on the court and then we’ll see what happens.

TN: The home opener on Sunday, 70-62 against WMU. You got off to the same head start, 11-0, as at WKU and I thought moved the ball tremendously well in the first half.

KG: Yeah, I think our pacing and controlling the tempo for the first 20 mins was really good. We had 15 assists and 5 TOs in the 1st half. We had 15 assists on 17 made shots. The two other made shots were Madison and Abbey both in transition. That is really the way we want to play.

TN: It’s great to get open shots. It’s even better to hit open shots. When you get those early the basket starts to get better, doesn’t it?

KG: Yeah, we had a little action early. Madison had one right off the first set play and she knocks it down. And then Cass knocks her first two down and you could feel the energy in Mackey and everybody relaxed and just played basketball.

TN: We talked last week that Madison needs to do a lot of things for you - certainly scoring is one - but what we have seen is that she can rebound the ball and she has been a big factor on the boards for you the first two games.

KG: We challenge her every day to not just rebound on D but to get us some second chances on the offensive end. There’s not anything we don’t need from Madison - we need everything from her. Scoring, facilitating, her presence, sometimes guarding the other team’s best player with her length, And she’s stepped up to the challenge. Two games in she’s probably playing some of her best BB. She’s just going to continue to grow and grow.

TN: You like to see your team get tested - well maybe i should say it is good for your team. WMU had a player on Sunday get red hot in the 2nd half — Lauren Ross (11/18 FG, 2/6 3PT and 2/3 FT for 26 pts). You are going to see that in the Big Ten. Did you get a lesson learned on how to slow down a player like that with a hot hand?

KG: Yeah, we talked about it after the game. It was never going to be something that we were going to jeopardize the “win” for but we wanted to see our team grow without calling a timeout. Allow us the opportunity to mature and grow because there will be times where we don’t have a timeouts or we can’t stop the flow of the game and they will have to figure things out on their own. They got a little sluggish there. We often talk about “We’re going to go through spells where we’ve just go to make shots and need to be grittier on the defensive end. Ross got it going on us but hey, we started 11-0 and found a way to win the game.

TN: Yeah, Ross is the kind of kid that if she’s on your team you love her but she’s tough to play against and if you’re in the opponents crowd you can instantly “not like” her. But she played hard and she willed them back in the game.

KG: Yes she did. She made a lot of good plays for them. It’s kind of fun to be on the road and it’s fun to be on the road as a player and start to get the crowd on you but she loves her team. Luckily we got off to a really good start in the first half and at the start of the 2nd half Shaya gets 8 pts. I told her she was probably just cherry picking out there because I’ve never seen her sprint down to court so much. I’m excited for our team. As I said, we’ll get better.

TN: We’ve said that when Shaya is on the floor she can be a real impact player. The key is to keep her on the floor. She was able to play Sunday her career best in minutes (25:41 mins).

KG: Yeah, she is 6’6” - basketball is really simple - let’s throw it to her and let her score. But she’s gotta keep her positioning the entire year and shes’s gotta stay out of foul trouble. She did a really good job guarding without fouling Sunday. And had 19 and 8 (points/rebounds). Those are numbers we really like from her. 26 mins is really good for her and she did a good job - hopefully that will continue.

TN: In BB we are always looking forward to the next game but you also have to have your eyes on the future. Last week you signed 3 players coming into the fold. First Lilly Stoddard (F 6’ 3” Crown Point, In) a big post player from instate. What are you getting from her?

KG: Length, athleticism, 6’4” - she’s actually put some muscle on and is getting stronger. But you’re getting but she is a gazelle - she’s gonna run. She’s gonna be able to be on the top of our press when we get that in. She’s going to run and she will be a rim protector. She’s a great volleyball player and knows how to use both hands to block shots. She’s going to transition very well to our level.

TN: The latest player to commit to you is Addison Potts (G 6’0” Fort Meyers, Fla.). She originally committed to Missouri who had a coaching change so you were able to get her. What will she bring to the floor for you?

KG: Scoring. Addison could really do it all. She has good size and good length. You’ll look at her and think she is not really that athletic but she she really is a good athlete. She’s got deep range, can hit a pull-up jump shot and get to the paint. She has great court vision and that gives us another offensive weapon but I think she’s also going to be good on D because of her strength and length.

TN: And then you go across the pond. You’ve got a player on the other side of the world in Australia and players from different countries and now you add Switzerland to the mix - Ainhoa (Ah-no-ah) Hoelzer (G 5’9” Martigny, Switzerland).

KG: Yeah, she is a point guard You look at our roster and it’s nice to have Abbey on our roster and Jeanne, but it’s nice to have someone else on our roster to play the point. She’s actually on a pretty good Swiss team with a pretty good point guard from Michigan State right now so she is learning quite a bit. Her BB knowledge - when you play the European style BB you’ve got to be able to think the game. She’s going to fit right in to how I want to play.

TN: You’re already looking at ‘23. ‘24 and ‘25 players, but are you out of space for this year or could you take another?

KG: I think we’re done. Every day, obviously, we’re building towards the future. But I like the make up of our team right now. I like how hard they’re playing. I hope the fans enjoy how hard they’re playing. They’re playing for our staff and for each other. You look on the court and you see a lot of smiles out there. I told Beth (Associate Head Coach Couture) yesterday the other day “Man, I just love coaching - being on the sidelines.” I love watching out team play and compete as hard as they are right now.

TN: I ran down the list of the upcoming games and this is kind of the schedule you will have the rest of the way where you play two or three games a week. It is a “one-game- at-a-time” and a “one-game-season” but no matter what happens on any given night you’ve got to be able to erase that.

KG: Yeah, like in anything. You can never get too high or too low. Obviously you learn from your losses but at the end of the day you need to turn the page and get better. And the next game is the only game that matters. And right now that’s Illinois State.

TN: It is time for the Pro Boiler’s Segment where we talk about a few of our former Boilers playing professionally. I want to add a little more data. We talked about Aya Traore (2003-2006). She is playing in Spain and her team right now is 5-2 through 6 games. She is averaging 13.5 PPG and 6 RBG.

TN: I also want to mention a number of graduates from our volleyball team who are playing professionally. By the way, congratulations to our team who had a very good weekend playing against two Top Ten teams. Danielle Cuttino is playing for Team USA playing on the MTC Circuit and Ashley Evans is also on Team USA and is playing in France where she is setting well for that squad. Annie Drews, as you know, won an Olympic Gold Medal for the USA this summer and is playing very successfully for a club team in Japan and has been for quite awhile. Sherridan Atkinson is playing for a team in France and also plays for Athletes Unlimited which is a pro team where players don’t have a specific team but just move around every week. Val Nicol is also in Athletes Unlimited and, BTW, she is also doing color this year for our Purdue team along with play-by-play announcer Kyle Shondell (Yes, Coach Shondell's son).

TN: We welcome Ra Shaya Kyle (19 pts, 8 rebs in win over WMU and last year had 5.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg and shot 57.3% FGs) who is a sophomore from Marion. How has your first year and a half been at Purdue”

RK: It has been an amazing experience especially with Katie as my coach (Big smile as she looks off-stage). She is an amazing coach.

TN: You know you look off and smile and I think that is probably the one thing we have seen more this year than we’ve seen in awhile. You look like you are all having fun playing BB.

RK: Yeah we are all having fun playing BB. Our chemistry on and off the court is really amazing. Katie is really involved with us and so are our assistant coaches. So far it has been really amazing.

TN: In Marion you played both BB andVB in high school. When did you decide that BB was the sport you were going to play in college?

RK: I decided that as a junior. My coach was my uncle and I always worked out with my brother. He told me I was really good at BB and while I played VB I just had more love for BB.

TN: You mentioned your brother who played at both Western Michigan and Tulsa. He had to know how the recruiting process worked. Was that a help to you that you saw your brother go through that?

RK: Yeah, I used to watch him all the time in high school and his first year in college

TN: So when you were looking at colleges and Purdue was one of the one’s recruiting you, what were you looking for and what did Purdue have that you really liked?

RK: It was the family atmosphere and also it was really close to home. I liked that my family could come to watch my games. But the biggest part was being close to home. It’s about an hour and a half drive.

TN: That’s just about right so you’ve got a little autonomy but they can still see you. Your high school career was fantastic - you were one of only 47 HS players to score 50 or more points in one game and you were one of the top 100 scorers in Indiana history with more than 1800 in your career. What was it like to make the adjustment from HS where you were always the tallest player to coming to Purdue where you still are mostly the tallest but there are other players closer to your height?

RK: The biggest adjustment for me was probably the court size - like conditioning - and the physicality.

TN: You mention that but Sunday you got 26 mins on Sunday. That’s the most your’ e played for Purdue. How tired were you at the end of the game?

RK: I can’t lie - at the end of the game I was tired and I didn’t even realize it that much till after the game. I told KG “Man, I’m really tired.”

TN: What are you planning in doing for your major and once BB is done?

RK: My major is early child education and when I’m done here I’f like to go the the WNBA or maybe overseas but maybe one day be a teacher or a coach.

TN: You’ve got to be a patient person to be a teacher. Are you a patient person?

RK: A little bit. (Big smile)

TN: Last year you played in every game coming off the bench. So you got your first start here against WKU. Any jitters coming back into the starting lineup which I’m sure you were in high school?

RK: A little, but I was ready. Once the game got going I was fine.

TN: Tell us about this team. You want to be a more up-tempo team and get shots up. For a post player, what does that mean for you?

RK: I need to be able to run the floor for my teammates. We have point guards who can push the ball and run the transition really good.

TN: When players come into college there is a lot more scouting. In HS you’re probably going to be the best player on the floor but now your playing against pretty good competition. What is it like to get used to following a detailed scouting report and making sure you stick with that through the game?

RK: It’s hard at times. Sometimes if the game is fast it’s hard to remember which way to keep a post player but I think I’ve done a pretty good job so far but I know I can do better. But I think I’m adjusting well.

TN: My broadcast partner was a post player at Purdue and she says big players always get picked on by the officials. Anytime there is any contact they’ll call the foul on the big player. You’ve had to experience some of that. How have you been able to play thru that?

RK: Well at WKU I was in foul trouble. But this last game I feel I did a better job of keeping my hands up. But you do get called a lot being a post player.

TN: Which is more exciting for you - scoring a basket or blocking a shot?

RK: I would say blocking. But i really like getting and-ones for my teammates.

TN: When you do have some spare time how do you like to spend your nights or weekends?

RK: Watching Netflix with my teammates.

TN: Favorite show?

RK: I like Wentworth a lot on Netflix.

TN: Are you a binge watcher?

RK: I’m a binge watcher because with college I don’t have time with schoolwork and so on.

TN: Well we’re going to try to get the officials to be fair to you. Have a great season.

RK: Thank you. I appreciate it.

TN: Back with Coach. We didn’t mention that in two games your team has hit 18 3PT shots. We believe that’s a record. Yeah, you’re gaining to take some shots from the outside but if you’re making them, they are good shots.

KG: Yeah, they are great shots. And the ones taking them right now - I want them to keep taking them. I shot a lot and that’s kind of how i coach.

TN: I noticed a couple of times Sunday when your team was in transition and then all of a sudden instead of attacking the basket they scooted off to the side and i saw your shoulders slump and you turned to your assistants and (it looked like you were saying) “Why don’t they attack the basket?” or “Why are they passing the ball sideways?”

KG: Yeah we were going a little bit east-west in transition when we should be going north-south. But the more we get comfortable playing in this style and with each other, I think you will see the pace pick up even more.

TN: We’ve talked about a lot of player so far but one player we haven’t talked about was someone who gave you great mins on Wed at WKU and that was Rickie Woltman. When Shaya got into foul trouble and you needed mins in the post, she played the most mins she has played since she’s been at Purdue.

KG: Yeah, Rickie had a great game Wed and she wasn’t bad Sunday either. But Shaya was so dominant that we just kept riding with Shaya. Rickie did come in Sunday and got caught for a couple of moving screens but at least she was trying to hit somebody - a lot of times we wiff on screens. But Rickie was GREAT on Wednesday at WKU. She had 7 rebs, 3 on the offensive end and scored a big bucket. The best thing about Rickie was in the first half she dropped a couple of passes that could have been layups. She was really hard on herself at halftime and I told her “Hey, you’ve got to keep attacking and score.” We’re going to need that from her because Shaya is going to get into foul trouble (laughs) - its inevitable. But we feel comfortable with Rickie there.
TN: You cut your TOs almost in half Sunday. You went from 26 to 14 and you had 24 assists on 29 field goals. I thought especially in the first half and early in the 3rdQ you moved the BB exceptionally well.

KG: Yes, that’s the idea. Play both sides of the floor - get the D to move and work until you find an open shot. Obviously we want Madison to score a lot and we’re going to need Shaya’s points inside. But i think it’s going to be a “pick your poison”. I think you’ve got to make the ball move and pop. On any given night someone is going to get it going.

TN: Playing for real Sunday with the crowd and the band playing - walking thru that tunnel - were the chills going down your spine as you were walking thru?

KG: I think there was a moment when I left the locker room before I got to the tunnel but honestly once I got to the tunnel - obviously the gym in Marian is different than the gym in Mackey - but once I got on the floor I just felt good that our team was ready to play and compete hard.

TN: (On-line question) How hard was it to leave Marian?

KG: It was tough. Purdue was going to be the only place that pulled me away from Marian. I loved what we built there but I know that’s going to continue. But Purdue is home and I’m blessed to be wearing these colors again.

TN: Your next game is at Illinois State in Redbird Arena. The last time I was in that arena was 1999 and Purdue had won the regional championship there to advance to the Final Four. Hopefully we get those vibs when we go in there. It will be a team hard to beat on their home court because once again they are coming from a non-Power 5 conference and they want a chance to beat the big people.

KG: Absolutely. Hopefully we get those same good vibes that you had. That was a special year. It’s their first home game. We experienced a little of that at WKU so we understand what it’s going to be. But they are a good ball club and well-coached. They’ve got some kids that can really score the ball from the outside and good posts inside so we’re going to have our hands full.

TN: Dayton has traditionally been one of the best mid-majors year in and year out. They’re here on Saturday. I would guess they are going to be pretty solid.

KG: Yes, I have not looked at them at all. It’s always the next game and then on Wed night we will dig into Dayton on the bus ride home.

TN: I want to mention your trip to Florida. Traditionally Purdue has been in a holiday tournament and it is not only important from a BB standpoint but a great team-bonding time. You’re away from home and your basketball family is your family.

KG: Yes, it will be a fun trip. I think Shaya said, we genuinely care about each other. We get along very well with each other right now off the court and I think you can see that really translate well on the court. Whether it’s me or the staff or the players - we kind of like being around each other.

TN: I’m guessing the weather in St. Petersburg Florida will not be hard to handle.

KG: I looked today and it’s going to be in the 70s. We’ll take that.

TN: What do you like the most about your BB team after the first two games?

KG: I love how hard they play. And most importantly, I love to see them smiling and having fun. Look at the opportunity they have. They get to wear PURDUE across their chest. How many kids would dream of that opportunity to play college BB, the opportunity to wear the gold and black and represent Purdue. But they are having fun playing BB and it definitely shows.

TN: Coach, good luck this next week.

TN: There will be no show next Monday night 11/22 because we’re playing a game next Monday night. The next show is in two weeks 11/29. In between we will have 5 basketball games - Illinois State on Wed 11/14 at Normal, Illinois at 7PM; Dayton on Sat 11/20 at home at 6PM; Marshall on Mon 11/22 at home at 7PM; the down to St. Petersburg, Florida for West Virginia on Thanksgiving Day at 5PM and either Florida State or BYU at either 11AM or 1PM on Sat 11/27. Those will all be on BOB-FM (or streamed) with either myself of Brian Jennings calling the games. Radio for all games starts 15 mins before tipoff.

Thanks coach.

Last edited:
Since WBB gets so little coverage, I will, at least for a little while, transcribe KG's show for those who don't want to listen to it. I think we are all curious what this next year will bring. It is more or less a complete transcription except for omitting a few extraneous comments and shortening some of the run-ons.. I occasionally add extras (Like positions, height, years played or the speaker's facial emotions etc.) and have tried to remember to put them in italics. I am sure there are errors as I am not a great typist. Take it for what it is worth.

TN: Now you have played two games & are undefeated. You’ve never trailed. You can retire. (Laughs)

TN: You started both games on an 11-0 run. At Western Kentucky University (WKU), did that take some of the nerves away (starting your first real game.)?

KG: Yeah, what WKU showed us - we weren’t prepared for it. So for us to go up by 11 is a a good thing considering we only won by 10. For us to handle that was a good thing. Same with Western Michigan University (WMU), for us to go up by 11 and we only won by 8 so good things for the hot start.

TN: You talk of WKU doing the unexpected, basically they trapped you as soon as you got the ball throwing a couple of players at whoever had the BB. It threw you out of rhythm offensively.

KG: Yeah, they did a really good job of that actually. We weren’t’t comfortable and Madison picking up 3 fouls in the 1st half that was a big loss for us. In the 2nd half we let her inbound the ball - she just brings a calmness about her. If you look at our roster, we’re pretty young and inexperienced out there and I thought that showed. But for us to win and be greedy (?) and find a way to win on the road and in that environment I thought it showed a lot of character about who we can be.

TN: Speaking of fouls, it was a game that had zero flow to it, there was no rhythm because there were so many fouls and TOs and a lot of stoppages of play. With 5 mins left in the 3rdQ you had 5 players with 3 fouls each. And those were players you needed on the floor. You must have been thinking “How can I make these next few mins go quickly?”

KG: Yeah, we did a lot of game management there especially during the 2nd half. I was wondering if I had to get my shoes and go out there (smile). But we found a way. Everyone stepped up - like Jayla. She showed her potential. She has STAR written all over her. She still has some growing up to do as do all of us - just look at our team.

We talk about it all the time - the inexperience. I mean, Shaya played 7 mins a game last year and she played 26 mins Sunday. Madison - yes, she’’s a sophomore but her role has completely changed. The dynamic of our team and everyone’s role has been magnified to the Nth degree. Being on top of that experience - it’s been a whole coaching change and it’s brand new.

TN: I thought the most impressive thing in the WKU game was that you had a big lead early and then they had a real run at the end of the half and they had the ball to start the second half. They had a chance to tie or take the lead and get the crowd going. But they never got the lead and you got the momentum back & built the lead up to as many as 17 pts,

KG: Yeah, we talked about it at half time that we needed to make sure we got a stop to start the 2nd half. And we did that. I think Madison hits two 3PTs in a row and Brooke hits one. We were up 15 with 3 mins to go and then there were some careless TOs that allows them to get it down to a 10 pt margin. But we’ll take it - any win you can get on the road. We talked about it yesterday that we understand where we are. We’re never going to be the favorite. We are going to be the underdog most nights. And we have to play with that kind of mentality every day.

TN: One of the things that has to give you some calm is that your point guard, Abbey Ellis, is one of the top FT shooters in the country so far. She is in the Top 10 nationally at 86% and Wed. She hits 9/10 from the stripe (at WKU)

KG: Yeah and she missed one Sunday and I told her that’s all (the misses) she gets all year - just two. (Smile)

TN: And she wasn’t alone (at WKU), she had double figures at 17 pts and Madison at 13 pts and Jayla had 11 pts. I think she brings a different dimension to this team. She flashed her athleticism at times.

KG:Yes, she got her hands on some balls on the defensive end and was able to get out in the open court and get some buckets when we needed them - when we were struggling. She’s different than pretty much anyone else on our team with her length and athleticism. She has the best vertical on our team. Like I said, she has STAR written all over her and if she wants it she can get it.

TN: She had 4 of your 12 steals against WKU but she averaged 12.5 steals/game in her HS senior season so I am sure she is got a lot of pts in transition in HS.

KG: She did. And Jayla is a great shooter too. She is fine with the deeper (3PT) line. Once she gets it all figured out, the sky is the limit for that kid.

TN: On-line question about Skye WIlliams. We talked on an earlier show about her having ankle surgery and she is still trying to recover from that.

KG: Yeah, she had a little bit of a “hick-up” and had to go back in and get “tightened up” again. She’s working every day to get better and, obviously, working on her academics. She’s working every day to get better and get back on the court and then we’ll see what happens.

TN: The home opener on Sunday, 70-62 against WMU. You got off to the same head start, 11-0, as at WKU and I thought moved the ball tremendously well in the first half.

KG: Yeah, I think our pacing and controlling the tempo for the first 20 mins was really good. We had 15 assists and 5 TOs in the 1st half. We had 15 assists on 17 made shots. The two other made shots were Madison and Abbey both in transition. That is really the way we want to play.

TN: It’s great to get open shots. It’s even better to hit open shots. When you get those early the basket starts to get better, doesn’t it?

KG: Yeah, we had a little action early. Madison had one right off the first set play and she knocks it down. And then Cass knocks her first two down and you could feel the energy in Mackey and everybody relaxed and just played basketball.

TN: We talked last week that Madison needs to do a lot of things for you - certainly scoring is one - but what we have seen is that she can rebound the ball and she has been a big factor on the boards for you the first two games.

KG: We challenge her every day to not just rebound on D but to get us some second chances on the offensive end. There’s not anything we don’t need from Madison - we need everything from her. Scoring, facilitating, her presence, sometimes guarding the other team’s best player with her length, And she’s stepped up to the challenge. Two games in she’s probably playing some of her best BB. She’s just going to continue to grow and grow.

TN: You like to see your team get tested - well maybe i should say it is good for your team. WMU had a player on Sunday get red hot in the 2nd half — Lauren Ross (11/18 FG, 2/6 3PT and 2/3 FT for 26 pts). You are going to see that in the Big Ten. Did you get a lesson learned on how to slow down a player like that with a hot hand?

KG: Yeah, we talked about it after the game. It was never going to be something that we were going to jeopardize the “win” for but we wanted to see our team grow without calling a timeout. Allow us the opportunity to mature and grow because there will be times where we don’t have a timeouts or we can’t stop the flow of the game and they will have to figure things out on their own. They got a little sluggish there. We often talk about “We’re going to go through spells where we’ve just go to make shots and need to be grittier on the defensive end. Ross got it going on us but hey, we started 11-0 and found a way to win the game.

TN: Yeah, Ross is the kind of kid that if she’s on your team you love her but she’s tough to play against and if you’re in the opponents crowd you can instantly “not like” her. But she played hard and she willed them back in the game.

KG: Yes she did. She made a lot of good plays for them. It’s kind of fun to be on the road and it’s fun to be on the road as a player and start to get the crowd on you but she loves her team. Luckily we got off to a really good start in the first half and at the start of the 2nd half Shaya gets 8 pts. I told her she was probably just cherry picking out there because I’ve never seen her sprint down to court so much. I’m excited for our team. As I said, we’ll get better.

TN: We’ve said that when Shaya is on the floor she can be a real impact player. The key is to keep her on the floor. She was able to play Sunday her career best in minutes (25:41 mins).

KG: Yeah, she is 6’6” - basketball is really simple - let’s throw it to her and let her score. But she’s gotta keep her positioning the entire year and shes’s gotta stay out of foul trouble. She did a really good job guarding without fouling Sunday. And had 19 and 8 (points/rebounds). Those are numbers we really like from her. 26 mins is really good for her and she did a good job - hopefully that will continue.

TN: In BB we are always looking forward to the next game but you also have to have your eyes on the future. Last week you signed 3 players coming into the fold. First Lilly Stoddard (F 6’ 3” Crown Point, In) a big post player from instate. What are you getting from her?

KG: Length, athleticism, 6’4” - she’s actually put some muscle on and is getting stronger. But you’re getting but she is a gazelle - she’s gonna run. She’s gonna be able to be on the top of our press when we get that in. She’s going to run and she will be a rim protector. She’s a great volleyball player and knows how to use both hands to block shots. She’s going to transition very well to our level.

TN: The latest player to commit to you is Addison Potts (G 6’0” Fort Meyers, Fla.). She originally committed to Missouri who had a coaching change so you were able to get her. What will she bring to the floor for you?

KG: Scoring. Addison could really do it all. She has good size and good length. You’ll look at her and think she is not really that athletic but she she really is a good athlete. She’s got deep range, can hit a pull-up jump shot and get to the paint. She has great court vision and that gives us another offensive weapon but I think she’s also going to be good on D because of her strength and length.

TN: And then you go across the pond. You’ve got a player on the other side of the world in Australia and players from different countries and now you add Switzerland to the mix - Ainhoa (Ah-no-ah) Hoelzer (G 5’9” Martigny, Switzerland).

KG: Yeah, she is a point guard You look at our roster and it’s nice to have Abbey on our roster and Jeanne, but it’s nice to have someone else on our roster to play the point. She’s actually on a pretty good Swiss team with a pretty good point guard from Michigan State right now so she is learning quite a bit. Her BB knowledge - when you play the European style BB you’ve got to be able to think the game. She’s going to fit right in to how I want to play.

TN: You’re already looking at ‘23. ‘24 and ‘25 players, but are you out of space for this year or could you take another?

KG: I think we’re done. Every day, obviously, we’re building towards the future. But I like the make up of our team right now. I like how hard they’re playing. I hope the fans enjoy how hard they’re playing. They’re playing for our staff and for each other. You look on the court and you see a lot of smiles out there. I told Beth (Associate Head Coach Couture) yesterday the other day “Man, I just love coaching - being on the sidelines.” I love watching out team play and compete as hard as they are right now.

TN: I ran down the list of the upcoming games and this is kind of the schedule you will have the rest of the way where you play two or three games a week. It is a “one-game- at-a-time” and a “one-game-season” but no matter what happens on any given night you’ve got to be able to erase that.

KG: Yeah, like in anything. You can never get too high or too low. Obviously you learn from your losses but at the end of the day you need to turn the page and get better. And the next game is the only game that matters. And right now that’s Illinois State.

TN: It is time for the Pro Boiler’s Segment where we talk about a few of our former Boilers playing professionally. I want to add a little more data. We talked about Aya Traore (2003-2006). She is playing in Spain and her team right now is 5-2 through 6 games. She is averaging 13.5 PPG and 6 RBG.

TN: I also want to mention a number of graduates from our volleyball team who are playing professionally. By the way, congratulations to our team who had a very good weekend playing against two Top Ten teams. Danielle Cuttino is playing for Team USA playing on the MTC Circuit and Ashley Evans is also on Team USA and is playing in France where she is setting well for that squad. Annie Drews, as you know, won an Olympic Gold Medal for the USA this summer and is playing very successfully for a club team in Japan and has been for quite awhile. Sherridan Atkinson is playing for a team in France and also plays for Athletes Unlimited which is a pro team where players don’t have a specific team but just move around every week. Val Nicol is also in Athletes Unlimited and, BTW, she is also doing color this year for our Purdue team along with play-by-play announcer Kyle Shondell (Yes, Coach Shondell's son).

TN: We welcome Ra Shaya Kyle (19 pts, 8 rebs in win over WMU and last year had 5.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg and shot 57.3% FGs) who is a sophomore from Marion. How has your first year and a half been at Purdue”

RK: It has been an amazing experience especially with Katie as my coach (Big smile as she looks off-stage). She is an amazing coach.

TN: You know you look off and smile and I think that is probably the one thing we have seen more this year than we’ve seen in awhile. You look like you are all having fun playing BB.

RK: Yeah we are all having fun playing BB. Our chemistry on and off the court is really amazing. Katie is really involved with us and so are our assistant coaches. So far it has been really amazing.

TN: In Marion you played both BB andVB in high school. When did you decide that BB was the sport you were going to play in college?

RK: I decided that as a junior. My coach was my uncle and I always worked out with my brother. He told me I was really good at BB and while I played VB I just had more love for BB.

TN: You mentioned your brother who played at both Western Michigan and Tulsa. He had to know how the recruiting process worked. Was that a help to you that you saw your brother go through that?

RK: Yeah, I used to watch him all the time in high school and his first year in college

TN: So when you were looking at colleges and Purdue was one of the one’s recruiting you, what were you looking for and what did Purdue have that you really liked?

RK: It was the family atmosphere and also it was really close to home. I liked that my family could come to watch my games. But the biggest part was being close to home. It’s about an hour and a half drive.

TN: That’s just about right so you’ve got a little autonomy but they can still see you. Your high school career was fantastic - you were one of only 47 HS players to score 50 or more points in one game and you were one of the top 100 scorers in Indiana history with more than 1800 in your career. What was it like to make the adjustment from HS where you were always the tallest player to coming to Purdue where you still are mostly the tallest but there are other players closer to your height?

RK: The biggest adjustment for me was probably the court size - like conditioning - and the physicality.

TN: You mention that but Sunday you got 26 mins on Sunday. That’s the most your’ e played for Purdue. How tired were you at the end of the game?

RK: I can’t lie - at the end of the game I was tired and I didn’t even realize it that much till after the game. I told KG “Man, I’m really tired.”

RK: My major is early child education and when I’m done here I’f like to go the the WNBA or maybe overseas but maybe one day be a teacher or a coach.

TN: You’ve got to be a patient person to be a teacher. Are you a patient person?

TN: Last year you played in every game coming off the bench. So you got your first start here against WKU. Any jitters coming back into the starting lineup which I’m sure you were in high school?

TN: Tell us about this team. You want to be a more up-tempo team and get shots up. For a post player, what does that mean for you?

RK: I need to be able to run the floor for my teammates. We have point guards who can push the ball and run the transition really good.

TN: When players come into college there is a lot more scouting. In HS you’re probably going to be the best player on the floor but now your playing against pretty good competition. What is it like to get used to following a detailed scouting report and making sure you stick with that through the game?

RK: It’s hard at times. Sometimes if the game is fast it’s hard to remember which way to keep a post player but I think I’ve done a pretty good job so far but I know I can do better. But I think I’m adjusting well.

TN: My broadcast partner was a post player at Purdue and she says big players always get picked on by the officials. Anytime there is any contact they’ll call the foul on the big player. You’ve had to experience some of that. How have you been able to play thru that?

RK: Well at WKU I was in foul trouble. But this last game I feel I did a better job of keeping my hands up. But you do get called a lot being a post player.

TN: When you do have some spare time how do you like to spend your nights or weekends?

RK: I’m a binge watcher because with college I don’t have time with schoolwork and so on.

TN: Well we’re going to try to get the officials to be fair to you. Have a great season.

TN: Back with Coach. We didn’t mention that in two games your team has hit 18 3PT shots. We believe that’s a record. Yeah, you’re gaining to take some shots from the outside but if you’re making them, they are good shots.

KG: Yeah, they are great shots. And the ones taking them right now - I want them to keep taking them. I shot a lot and that’s kind of how i coach.

TN: I noticed a couple of times Sunday when your team was in transition and then all of a sudden instead of attacking the basket they scooted off to the side and i saw your shoulders slump and you turned to your assistants and (it looked like you were saying) “Why don’t they attack the basket?” or “Why are they passing the ball sideways?”

KG: Yeah we were going a little bit east-west in transition when we should be going north-south. But the more we get comfortable playing in this style and with each other, I think you will see the pace pick up even more.

TN: We’ve talked about a lot of player so far but one player we haven’t talked about was someone who gave you great mins on Wed at WKU and that was Rickie Woltman. When Shaya got into foul trouble and you needed mins in the post, she played the most mins she has played since she’s been at Purdue.

KG: Yeah, Rickie had a great game Wed and she wasn’t bad Sunday either. But Shaya was so dominant that we just kept riding with Shaya. Rickie did come in Sunday and got caught for a couple of moving screens but at least she was trying to hit somebody - a lot of times we wiff on screens. But Rickie was GREAT on Wednesday at WKU. She had 7 rebs, 3 on the offensive end and scored a big bucket. The best thing about Rickie was in the first half she dropped a couple of passes that could have been layups. She was really hard on herself at halftime and I told her “Hey, you’ve got to keep attacking and score.” We’re going to need that from her because Shaya is going to get into foul trouble (laughs) - its inevitable. But we feel comfortable with Rickie there.
TN: You cut your TOs almost in half Sunday. You went from 26 to 14 and you had 24 assists on 29 field goals. I thought especially in the first half and early in the 3rdQ you moved the BB exceptionally well.

KG: Yes, that’s the idea. Play both sides of the floor - get the D to move and work until you find an open shot. Obviously we want Madison to score a lot and we’re going to need Shaya’s points inside. But i think it’s going to be a “pick your poison”. I think you’ve got to make the ball move and pop. On any given night someone is going to get it going.

TN: Playing for real Sunday with the crowd and the band playing - walking thru that tunnel - were the chills going down your spine as you were walking thru?

KG: I think there was a moment when I left the locker room before I got to the tunnel but honestly once I got to the tunnel - obviously the gym in Marian is different than the gym in Mackey - but once I got on the floor I just felt good that our team was ready to play and compete hard.

KG: It was tough. Purdue was going to be the only place that pulled me away from Marian. I loved what we built there but I know that’s going to continue. But Purdue is home and I’m blessed to be wearing these colors again.

TN: Your next game is at Illinois State in Redbird Arena. The last time I was in that arena was 1999 and Purdue had won the regional championship there to advance to the Final Four. Hopefully we get those vibs when we go in there. It will be a team hard to beat on their home court because once again they are coming from a non-Power 5 conference and they want a chance to beat the big people.

KG: Absolutely. Hopefully we get those same good vibes that you had. That was a special year. It’s their first home game. We experienced a little of that at WKU so we understand what it’s going to be. But they are a good ball club and well-coached. They’ve got some kids that can really score the ball from the outside and good posts inside so we’re going to have our hands full.

TN: Dayton has traditionally been one of the best mid-majors year in and year out. They’re here on Saturday. I would guess they are going to be pretty solid.

KG: Yes, I have not looked at them at all. It’s always the next game and then on Wed night we will dig into Dayton on the bus ride home.

TN: I want to mention your trip to Florida. Traditionally Purdue has been in a holiday tournament and it is not only important from a BB standpoint but a great team-bonding time. You’re away from home and your basketball family is your family.

KG: Yes, it will be a fun trip. I think Shaya said, we genuinely care about each other. We get along very well with each other right now off the court and I think you can see that really translate well on the court. Whether it’s me or the staff or the players - we kind of like being around each other.

TN: I’m guessing the weather in St. Petersburg Florida will not be hard to handle.

KG: I love how hard they play. And most importantly, I love to see them smiling and having fun. Look at the opportunity they have. They get to wear PURDUE across their chest. How many kids would dream of that opportunity to play college BB, the opportunity to wear the gold and black and represent Purdue. But they are having fun playing BB and it definitely shows.

TN: There will be no show next Monday night 11/22 because we’re playing a game next Monday night. The next show is in two weeks 11/29. In between we will have 5 basketball games - Illinois State on Wed 11/14 at Normal, Illinois at 7PM; Dayton on Sat 11/20 at home at 6PM; Marshall on Mon 11/22 at home at 7PM; the down to St. Petersburg, Florida for West Virginia on Thanksgiving Day at 5PM and either Florida State or BYU at either 11AM or 1PM on Sat 11/27. Those will all be on BOB-FM (or streamed) with either myself of Brian Jennings calling the games. Radio for all games starts 15 mins before tipoff.

Thanks coach.
During Matt Painter's first year, the crowd increased as folks recognized how hard they were playing and they seemed to be having fun playing basketball, even though the record was not that great. Sunday's game in Mackey was reminiscent of the Nell Fortner/Caroline Peck/Kristy Curry period. Lots of smiles on court from the players, and winning the game was a bonus! We will have the radio on tonight!!! :)

During Matt Painter's first year, the crowd increased as folks recognized how hard they were playing and they seemed to be having fun playing basketball, even though the record was not that great. Sunday's game in Mackey was reminiscent of the Nell Fortner/Caroline Peck/Kristy Curry period. Lots of smiles on court from the players, and winning the game was a bonus! We will have the radio on tonight!!! :)
There does appear to be a change of attitude. It seems the players are smiling and laughing more and they really relate to the coaching staff, especially Katie. If you listen to Shaya’s interview (Cass and Madison were much more guarded) it is clear that she feels relieved by the coaching change.

And the players never talk about how “difficult” the changes are from how they were expected to play under Coach Versyp. Even Tim Newton, who seemed to me to be a Versyp loyalist (oKay, it was his job) seems to enjoy Katie a lot.

They still have a real deficit of talent and I suspect this will become more apparent in the next 5 games.

But I could be wrong. :)

Reactions: JeffBoiler

Thanks coach.
Thank you for all that work. So appreciated!!!

There does appear to be a change of attitude. It seems the players are smiling and laughing more and they really relate to the coaching staff, especially Katie. If you listen to Shaya’s interview (Cass and Madison were much more guarded) it is clear that she feels relieved by the coaching change.

And the players never talk about how “difficult” the changes are from how they were expected to play under Coach Versyp. Even Tim Newton, who seemed to me to be a Versyp loyalist (oKay, it was his job) seems to enjoy Katie a lot.

They still have a real deficit of talent and I suspect this will become more apparent in the next 5 games.

But I could be wrong. :)

ADVERTISEMENT