ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler fouled......

Cheese, we both know that call is made 99% of the time. In the Hall of Calls it is 100%. To pretend that Purdue did not get robbed on that call is crazy.

Having said that, if Purdue shot at only 25% from 3 pt land they win that game. They missed a lot of open shots. That is on them. Cline is there as a shooter and missing 11 in a row doesn't work. He is headed toward Langford numbers. Eastern is also a great disappointment. His shooting has been awful, especially at the line. He plays excellent D but is a non-factor at the other end. Can you keep him in the rnd of a close game up by 1? He is the guy the otherteam picks to foul.

Disagree that it would be called a majority of the time. I agree that sometimes it would be. But especially in the final seconds of a game, the refs generally don't call much, they make the players earn it. I've seen plenty of games, even in AH, where there is a WHOLE lot more contact than that on a last second drive, and it's actually initiated by the defense, and it still doesn't get called. Now in yesterday's game, if Wheeler had started to drive, and THEN the defender slipped and fell into him, that's a foul. But it happened the other way around. The guy slipped and fell, then Wheeler dribbled right into his foot, he initiated the contact, not the defender. I wish they would have shown more camera angles to see it better though, I'm just saying what I could see from that one angle. If I saw better angles, maybe I would see it differently.

The refs were bad yesterday and really favored TX. I remember CE being bumped into very hard with about 3 mins to go holding the ball and no call. After the call on Sasha, that was wildly inconsistent.

You have identified a real problem. If something is a foul in the first half then it is a foul in the last 30 seconds of the game. I was not aware that the rulebook for refs had foul regs thst were time dependent.

Reactions: Schnelk
I thought the same thing. The fact is that Wheeler lost the handle. And if we're going to partially blame the loss on a no call, we certainly didn't pay much attention to the crappy game this team played other than Carsen.
Yes, but a defensive player cannot prevent an offensive player that has a clear path to the basket that isn't in a good or proper defensive stance. Yes, it is a foul but not they only reason they lost as well.

The problem is.....the defender didn't create the contact. He slipped, then Wheeler SHOULD have either taken that opportunity to shoot it or drive the other direction, but he dribbled into right into his foot and created the contact himself.
I tend to agree. If AW was more experienced/confident/whatever, I feel like he would have just blown right through the falling down defender on a direct line to the basket and forced the ref to make the call, and I believe he would have. It happens in a split second, but that would’ve been the right play given the circumstance. He was nervous/surprised/inexperienced and tried to avoid the contact and lost the ball. It’s probably a 50/50 call, sometimes you get ‘em sometimes you don’t. Just think the timidness (or whatever you call it) is what allowed that call, not necessarily the ref blowing something obvious.

Reactions: mathboy
The refs were bad yesterday and really favored TX. I remember CE being bumped into very hard with about 3 mins to go holding the ball and no call. After the call on Sasha, that was wildly inconsistent.

You have identified a real problem. If something is a foul in the first half then it is a foul in the last 30 seconds of the game. I was not aware that the rulebook for refs had foul regs thst were time dependent.

Of course it's not in their rulebook to officiate differently based on time. But I do think it happens. As I said though, I don't think that foul would have been called very often, no matter the time, but especially not in the final seconds. My best guess at why officials swallow their whistles at the end....because they get so criticized with any calls they DO make that effect the outcome, that they figure they are best to just not call anything and let it play out.

I will say though, that call on Sasha was terrible. There was hardly any contact at all, it was more like putting your arm out to shield and box out the shooter. That was a clearly bad call.

He was fouled, but can’t let a game against a mediocre team like Texas come down to one missed call costing you the game. 28 points total for the guys not named Carsen is a problem. And all the wide open 3s that Texas shot.
I get the whole "good teams don't put themselves in that position" speech, I really do, but I feel that you got to make that call. PU has had a grueling stretch of games, and has been away from home...…..it would be nice to not have to worry about a blown call on top of it. It is what it is. I still can't get the VT game out of my head.....now that was a hose job.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT