ADVERTISEMENT

What was the best hit you remember in Purdue Football?

I sat next to Jim Garcia in a class in 1964 or 1965. My favorite defensive play hit was when he took out all of the three across blockers and the kick off returner on a kickoff return, perhaps against Minnesota. He had to be carried from the field but soon returned. I wish that he had a better NFL career.

Mike Alstott’s blind side block on IU’s safety Aaron Warnecke in 1994 in Ross Ade. He broke Aaron’s jaw during the hit. As I remember it, Alstott had been lined up as a wideout and Purdue ran a reverse. It was one of those where the crowd had about 3 seconds warning to see it coming but the poor IU player never knew what or who hit him. A quick search of youtube did not provide any video from that game. I was sitting in the horseshoe end of Ross Ade right where the crime occurred. I remember like it was yesterday and will never forget it. Unfortunately we still lost.

About anything from Kevin Motts! (Although I remember Jimmy Smith getting clobbered early in his freshman year. I heard someone say from a ways off: "He's gonna be hurtin' for certain.")

Reactions: ExRegionRat
When was the last big hit you saw? Seems like they’ve taken the hitting out of football. Most of these would draw penalty flags today.

Jon Goldsberry on special teams destroyed guys many times. I’ve not seen one player hit others that hard so often.

When was the last big hit you saw? Seems like they’ve taken the hitting out of football. Most of these would draw penalty flags today.
There aren’t as many for sure. Some of it is the rules. Some of it is the new offenses. Players are so spread out that it is hard to tag someone

They haven't taken the hitting out of football. They've tried to take the dangerous hitting out of football. If they don't, football won't survive in this day and age. I'm not saying I agree with all of the current perceptions about football, but reality is what it is.

Anyone who has seen the cheap-@ss shot on Darryl Stingley can understand why it's important to protect players.

There are certain positions that are dangerously exposed (QB and WR are two of the most common).

The "targeting" penalty has been a disaster, IMHO. It's too arbitrary, and too randomly enforced. But, to a large degree, also needed (in some form or another).

I loved playing on the defensive side and hitting people. Too many idiots think it's heroic to put someone on a stretcher. Make a big hit, for sure. But, there should be a certain level of sportsmanship to the game, as well. When the competitors abandon that part of the game, the rule-makers will step in.

It seemed like the entire 1984 tOSU game was Keith Byars up the middle, into the secondary, and Woodson making the tackle. Those two just beat on each other the whole day.

It seemed like the entire 1984 tOSU game was Keith Byars up the middle, into the secondary, and Woodson making the tackle. Those two just beat on each other the whole day.
I was at that game. Remember Strickland, hitting Byars in the chest, behind the line of scrimmage, Strickland went down and Byars kept running, Byars was a beast that day

Reactions: Mr_Scott
I was 12 with my dad at the '77 ND game. To this day, Fred Arrington on Forystek, still most violent I have been at in person. There is YouTube of that game. Even in poor quality video, it's devastating!! Forystek had replaced starter Rusty Lisch. Montana would lead their comeback.

The UM DB on Penn State TE in their '97 game probably biggest hit I recall since. I believe neither guy ever played again. There was a segment about the 2 guys a few years ago on ESPN or BTN.

Reactions: tjreese and SKYDOG
I was 12 with my dad at the '77 ND game. To this day, Fred Arrington on Forystek, still most violent I have been at in person. There is YouTube of that game. Even in poor quality video, it's devastating!! Forystek had replaced starter Rusty Lisch. Montana would lead their comeback.

The UM DB on Penn State TE in their '97 game probably biggest hit I recall since. I believe neither guy ever played again. There was a segment about the 2 guys a few years ago on ESPN or BTN.

I remember that hit.

Here's the video segment on these two gentlemen...

I think Byars put Purdue LB Jason Houston out of the game a few times,but Houston kept coming back for more.

Reactions: Mr_Scott
If we're talking Purdue game only hits, here's an obscure on:
It was on a Sutherland TD punt return at iu, probably around 98-99?
Vinny was in the clear headed for the end zone and about 15 yards behind the play, a PU player completely blindsides an iu guy. Totally decleated him. Definitely would get flagged today.
I also suspect the PU player took that shot simply because it was the Bucket game.

Reactions: Purdue85
If we're talking Purdue game only hits, here's an obscure on:
It was on a Sutherland TD punt return at iu, probably around 98-99?
Vinny was in the clear headed for the end zone and about 15 yards behind the play, a PU player completely blindsides an iu guy. Totally decleated him. Definitely would get flagged today.
I also suspect the PU player took that shot simply because it was the Bucket game.

I remember one about 10(?) years ago, Bucket game at Ross-Ade.

Purdue returning a kickoff, an IU player gets leveled so bad, he got up and started following the Purdue players to the bench after the play was whistled dead.

in the 1977 nd game at RA, Fred Arrington hit QB Gary Forystek so hard it was a season ending injury paving the way for backup guy named Montana.
That is the one I remember and we were ahead at the time.Yes we lost

I am going with the Mike Rose leap and tackle against Penn State
I have a good friend who walked on as a tight end back in ‘86 or ‘87. He limped into the room after a practice with a deep thigh bruise on one side and a huge nasty bruise on the ribs under his arm on the other side. All he remembered was leaping for a high throw over the middle, pain, and laying on the ground with coach Spoo screaming in his face “IF YOU TOUCH THE BALL CATCH THE BALL!!!”
The hit men were Chris Dishman and Rod Woodson.

That had to be a hell of a hit!

I have a good friend who walked on as a tight end back in ‘86 or ‘87. He limped into the room after a practice with a deep thigh bruise on one side and a huge nasty bruise on the ribs under his arm on the other side. All he remembered was leaping for a high throw over the middle, pain, and laying on the ground with coach Spoo screaming in his face “IF YOU TOUCH THE BALL CATCH THE BALL!!!”
The hit men were Chris Dishman and Rod Woodson.

That had to be a hell of a hit!

Those two were incredible.

Did your friend stick it out?

No particular play. But as a kid, I remember Keena Turner coming around the end to say hello to the QB, many times. Thanks Dad, for taking me to hundreds of Purdue FB & BB games over the years. Lots of great memories.
Couple hitters I remember from the Colletto years were Pat Johnson and Joe Hagins (sp?)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT