ADVERTISEMENT

What is Romeo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
I apologize to those who believe this is a stupid question and post.

I'm just curious as to what type of a guard Romeo was in high school, what type of a guard he is at IU and what type of a guard he will be in the NBA.

I know he likes to score a lot. He likes to shoot a lot. But I also thought at least in high school he also liked to run the offense as if he were a point guard.

I noticed IU brought in Phinisee to basically play point guard. How has this impacted the way Romeo has played? Is he developing into a Ray Allen or Reggie Miller and just concentrating on scoring? Or is he like LeBron, CP3, and Curry where he runs the offense and also scores?

Purdue has Edwards who scores a lot and some say also tries to be a point guard and his future in the NBA would be point.

I'm just curious as positions are no longer cut and dried or black and white, what type of player do you see Romeo being at IU and what type of player you see him becoming.

I'm not really interested in creating an IU verses Purdue thread. Rather, I'd just like to discuss Romeo as a player without regard to his college team. Perhaps if you could discuss what you perceive his role to be in the NBA. I'm kind of interested in the evolution of the point guard position into a player that is also your lead scorer rather than being the guy who sets up other people.

I'm just curious as to what type of a guard Romeo was in high school, what type of a guard he is at IU and what type of a guard he will be in the NBA.

I know he likes to score a lot. He likes to shoot a lot. But I also thought at least in high school he also liked to run the offense as if he were a point guard.

I noticed IU brought in Phinisee to basically play point guard. How has this impacted the way Romeo has played? Is he developing into a Ray Allen or Reggie Miller and just concentrating on scoring? Or is he like LeBron, CP3, and Curry where he runs the offense and also scores?

Purdue has Edwards who scores a lot and some say also tries to be a point guard and his future in the NBA would be point.

I'm just curious as positions are no longer cut and dried or black and white, what type of player do you see Romeo being at IU and what type of player you see him becoming.

I'm not really interested in creating an IU verses Purdue thread. Rather, I'd just like to discuss Romeo as a player without regard to his college team. Perhaps if you could discuss what you perceive his role to be in the NBA. I'm kind of interested in the evolution of the point guard position into a player that is also your lead scorer rather than being the guy who sets up other people.

He’s your prototypical slashing 2 guard. In terms of style of play, think Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, etc. very good mid range jumper who can finish through contact at the rim and gets to the line a lot. Not a very good 3 point shooter, but if there’s one thing that is correctable, it’s perimeter shooting. You can’t teach 6’6 with a 6’10 wingspan on top of Romeo’s athleticism. It’s what makes Romeo such an intriguing and one of the top prospects in next years draft. NBA is all about spacing and isolation which really plays in to Romeo’s style of play.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
He’s your prototypical slashing 2 guard. In terms of style of play, think Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, etc. very good mid range jumper who can finish through contact at the rim and gets to the line a lot. Not a very good 3 point shooter, but if there’s one thing that is correctable, it’s perimeter shooting. You can’t teach 6’6 with a 6’10 wingspan on top of Romeo’s athleticism. It’s what makes Romeo such an intriguing and one of the top prospects in next years draft. NBA is all about spacing and isolation which really plays in to Romeo’s style of play.
Finally, one of you that speak the truth.

He didn't run the point in high school. New Albany had a good point guard all four years

He’s your daddy!

Also, so you don’t want to make IU and Purdue fans argue but you post the main thing that will make us fight! I think you need punched in the face!!

The best caddy Roy McAvoy ever had.

giphy.gif

First name that pops up in O.J Mayo.... Could score at ease in HS.... Good scorer in college but not much of a shooter for the NBA.

First name that pops up in O.J Mayo.... Could score at ease in HS.... Good scorer in college but not much of a shooter for the NBA.
He’s going to be at the very least a good nba player as long as he doesn’t have injury problems. He’s not the next Michael Jordan but he’ll be good to very good. I’d be surprised if he became great but I’ve been wrong before. He has gotten better at playing defense so far this year but he’ll need to continue and I’d like to see more fire but that doesn’t seem to be his personality. But, the dude can score with ease and his outside shooting will only get better. He’ll be taken 3-7 in the draft. He could make a great Pippen to someone’s Jordan as long as his D continues to improve.

Romeo is a slashing 2-guard who scores on drives and at the FT line who is a poor outside shooter, presently hitting approximately 20% from 3.

Reactions: Schnelk
He’s going to be at the very least a good nba player as long as he doesn’t have injury problems. He’s not the next Michael Jordan but he’ll be good to very good. I’d be surprised if he became great but I’ve been wrong before. He has gotten better at playing defense so far this year but he’ll need to continue and I’d like to see more fire but that doesn’t seem to be his personality. But, the dude can score with ease and his outside shooting will only get better. He’ll be taken 3-7 in the draft. He could make a great Pippen to someone’s Jordan as long as his D continues to improve.

There is a reason the Knicks are the Knicks, the Nets are the Nets, the Suns are the Suns and the Hornets are the Hornets. They have been consistent in being near the top of the draft and then making high draft choices that do not pan out. Poor GM decision-making has allowed them to remain outside of serious contention for many years.

Romeo is a slashing 2-guard who scores on drives and at the FT line who is a poor outside shooter, presently hitting approximately 20% from 3.

Yes. Hitting on 21.3% of his 3PA precisely. Of course that’s on only 47 attempts through 13 collegiate games. Trying to explorate that data in such a small sample size is irresponsible at best. If Romeo simply makes .5 more 3P/game he’d be shooting a very modest 36%. That is something that is not only very correctable, but very plausible given how talented he is. To break that down even further, that’s the difference between making 16 out of 47 3’s to his current stats of 10/47. That’s how much you’re overreacting to his 3 point %. It’s not anywhere near a large enough sample size to conclude he’s a terrible three point shooter. If Romeo Langford were to somehow make his next 6 three point shots consecutively, he’d be shooting 32%. That’s how small of a sample size you’re basing his outside shooting on. It’s ridiculous.

He is also a 69% FT shooter, which is not good; I consider it fair for a 2-guard. The 3 pt % is 21. That suggests strongly to me that as he moves away from the basket his shooting drops dramatically.

If he were to miss his next 13 3 pt shots, he would be shooting 16.7% from 3. Anyone can play that game of hypothetical numbers. The point is presently he is at 21.3. The season is more than 1/3 over. Could things change? Of course, but drafting is supposed be about projection and not the present. At this point there appears to be no reason to extrapolate the curve in an upward manner. The IU schedule gets much harder and shooting % is more likely to decline or stay current than improve as the opposition is better.

You object to small sample size, but have you considered that maybe the sample size is small because he does not take as many because of lack of success? NE doesn't take many either, likely because he is poor at it so far. However, we are now through a good number of games. You have to start making certain decisions at some point. A third of a season's results are a reasonable point to do so.

Last edited:
Yes. Hitting on 21.3% of his 3PA precisely. Of course that’s on only 47 attempts through 13 collegiate games. Trying to explorate that data in such a small sample size is irresponsible at best. If Romeo simply makes .5 more 3P/game he’d be shooting a very modest 36%. That is something that is not only very correctable, but very plausible given how talented he is. To break that down even further, that’s the difference between making 16 out of 47 3’s to his current stats of 10/47. That’s how much you’re overreacting to his 3 point %. It’s not anywhere near a large enough sample size to conclude he’s a terrible three point shooter. If Romeo Langford were to somehow make his next 6 three point shots consecutively, he’d be shooting 32%. That’s how small of a sample size you’re basing his outside shooting on. It’s ridiculous.

Well, we will all just wait and hold our breath till he hits 6 in a row LOL...…...otherwise for now 21% sucks.

Romeo Langford chucks up a lot of shots inefficiently. Hes the poster child for bad player, but scores a lot of PPG so causals overvalue him.

Hes about the 90th most valuable player in the conference.

Reactions: Schnelk
I remember OJ Mayo !! His AAU team practiced at our junior high school gym when we lived in Ohio. I remember hearing all the praise that he would be a future hall of famer. I even passed him a ball. he proceeded to miss a hot dog dunk shot, and several long range air balls. I wondered what all the hype was about. but somehow he continued to have hype, and college and NBA scouts loved him. he had so much athleticism and talent, that he was just winging it and never really practiced or took the game seriously. that was almost 20 years ago. I've seen so many more players follow in his footsteps. the talent is there. But the fundamental skills are not.

I'm not looking for a fight or an argument. All I want is some friendly and civil discussion about the new era of guards. Those of you who want to fight and argue with other, will use any excuse or thread to do so.

The probability of a 21.3% shooter hitting 6 in a row is 0.009%. That strikes me as a low proability event.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Romeo Langford chucks up a lot of shots inefficiently. Hes the poster child for bad player, but scores a lot of PPG so causals overvalue him.

And yet that inefficient chucker takes 12 shots a game and shoots a better FG% than Carsen, who shoots 19 a game. So....Romeo is more efficient than Carsen? And he “chucks” less shots? Oh, and he turns it over less too? You’re right, Romeo is the 90th most valuable player in the BIG, I guess Carsen must be 91st if following your criteria.

Romeo is not a good set shooter, and so his 3pt% is not good. Even with his horrid 3pt% he still has a better overall FG% than Carsen.

It’s ironic that your definition of Romeo fits Carsen even better than Romeo, and yet Carsen is the best player in the conference and Romeo is 90th. No bias there.

Reactions: herrli
And yet that inefficient chucker takes 12 shots a game and shoots a better FG% than Carsen, who shoots 19 a game. So....Romeo is more efficient than Carsen? And he “chucks” less shots? Oh, and he turns it over less too? You’re right, Romeo is the 90th most valuable player in the BIG, I guess Carsen must be 91st if following your criteria.

Romeo is not a good set shooter, and so his 3pt% is not good. Even with his horrid 3pt% he still has a better overall FG% than Carsen.

It’s ironic that your definition of Romeo fits Carsen even better than Romeo, and yet Carsen is the best player in the conference and Romeo is 90th. No bias there.
Probably because he shoots 7 more three pointers a game than does Romeo. Have you heard of points per shot, usage rating? Also 10 points per game more, offenses are keyed in on Carsen. Usually you have good posts but this is just lacking any type of reality here.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Offensive Rating

Carsen Edwards 118.6
Romeo LOLford 112.9

One is a bad chucker, one is an All American.

Probably because he shoots 7 more three pointers a game than does Romeo. Have you heard of points per shot, usage rating? Also 10 points per game more, offenses are keyed in on Carsen. Usually you have good posts but this is just lacking any type of reality here.

Of course he shoots more 3s, he’s better at them. Romeo isn’t a 3pt shooter. He’s a lot of other things, but not that. That’s why he only takes about 3 three pointers per game, he’s smart enough to not rely on something he’s not great at.

To be clear, I’m not saying that Romeo is better than Carsen. I think Carsen is the best player in the conference. I’m just pointing out that calling Romeo the “90th most valuable
player in the conference” based upon him supposedly being an inefficient chucker, is laughable. Because even the best player in the conference shoots a lower percentage and is more of a chucker than Romeo.

If you stop staring at stats and watch Romeo play, I think you would come away with the thought that he should probably be more selfish than he is. He really defers to others quite a bit, and doesn’t hog the ball. But when he does take it aggressively to the hoop, he’s very good. He’s the opposite of a selfish, shot chucking player. One only has to watch him once to see that.

Of course he shoots more 3s, he’s better at them. Romeo isn’t a 3pt shooter. He’s a lot of other things, but not that. That’s why he only takes about 3 three pointers per game, he’s smart enough to not rely on something he’s not great at.

To be clear, I’m not saying that Romeo is better than Carsen. I think Carsen is the best player in the conference. I’m just pointing out that calling Romeo the “90th most valuable
player in the conference” based upon him supposedly being an inefficient chucker, is laughable. Because even the best player in the conference shoots a lower percentage and is more of a chucker than Romeo.

If you stop staring at stats and watch Romeo play, I think you would come away with the thought that he should probably be more selfish than he is. He really defers to others quite a bit, and doesn’t hog the ball. But when he does take it aggressively to the hoop, he’s very good. He’s the opposite of a selfish, shot chucking player. One only has to watch him once to see that.

Romeo chucks up 12 and a half shots per game and averages 2 assists per game, he is one of the most selfish players in the nation.

Hes taken 45 3s despite not having a jumpshot and only making 9 of them. Hes terrible.

Offensive Rating

Carsen Edwards 118.6
Romeo LOLford 112.9

One is a bad chucker, one is an All American.

Wow.....so the difference between an All American and a chucker is only 6 points per 100 possessions? So like...2 more made 3s....out of every 100 possessions? Sounds more like the difference between a Junior who’s an All American and a Freshman who’s second team All BIG. There’s a difference, it’s just not nearly as large as you’re making it out to be.

Romeo chucks up 12 and a half shots per game and averages 2 assists per game, he is one of the most selfish players in the nation.

Hes taken 45 3s despite not having a jumpshot and only making 9 of them. Hes terrible.

And Carsen shoots 19 and has 3.8 assists. That’s not that large of a difference, especially since Carsen basically plays PG for Purdue and Romeo plays off the ball a majority of the time. Again, any person with an open mind who watches him would see that he is far from selfish.

And Carsen shoots 19 and has 3.8 assists. That’s not that large of a difference, especially since Carsen basically plays PG for Purdue and Romeo plays off the ball a majority of the time. Again, any person with an open mind who watches him would see that he is far from selfish.

Its so funny to watch you try and spin an inefficient chucker into an unselfish player. The kid shoots too much even though his jumpshot is completely broken.

Since we've already established that he's only shot 47 3pt attempts and despite shooting 21% from 3 is shooting over 50% overall,I'm curious what your definition of a "lot" is? Also as cheese points out he is not a set shooter,but his mid range game (where he shoots off of movement) is pretty deadly. He isn't shooting 50% because he only shoots layups-it's not like he camps in the lane like a 7 footer...

In both of IU's B1G wins he has exceeded those numbers,shooting 40% from 3 at PSU,where his step back was deadly in the first half.He scored 17 vs PSU on 13 fg attempts and 20 vs NW on the same amount. His highest scoring numbers have come from games vs Power 5 schools including 22 vs both Marquette and @ Arkansas as well as 21 vs UL. Sort of dispels your often made comment that he would "pad his stats" against lower level competition...

No offense,but you have to be pretty stupid to label Romeo a "bad player". Sounds like something someone who spent the entire summer telling all of us that UI was a much better squad than MSU might cling to...

Btw Romeo has scored 37 pts on 26 shots in 2 B1G games. CE has scored 39 (2 more points) on 36 (10 more) fg attempts. Who's the "chucker"? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT