ADVERTISEMENT

What does Purdue do to correct “Lack of Discipline”?

I’m giving a 1 game suspension for sure.., To myself for being the dummy who gave up four hours of a Saturday to watch that display of 💩. Maybe Cory Trice should take time to think about the next play instead of drawing out the other players on the field. Kind of sounds like a good idea when there’s that much at stake and the game is almost over don’t you think?

You said get a staff to hold people accountable. I thought that meant not this staff. My apologies if that is not what you meant.

I was over the top satisfied with 9 wins last year and still think this could be a good year. But even if it isn’t you don’t just replace coaches who have shown the capability to win 9 games at Purdue. Those guys are few and far between. Just my opinion of course.
Get a Special Teams Coordinator like we had in Levine. He was the real deal with attention to detail.
Also, 100% agree in holding players accountable for stupid penalties.

We can all banter how bad the refs sucked, but giving up 30 yards due to unsportsmanlike conduct killed the should have been comeback win.
Appears to be a pattern of lack of discipline and costly mistakes.
Good teams don’t shoot themselves in the foot. Bad teams get emotional about referring. bad calls, and lose.
Purdue is heading to 6-6 very fast and that is if we are lucky late in the season.
Bring George back? A) he would have dismantled Syracuse’s offense. B) guys don’t just go off the reservation when guys like George are gonna be in their face after the fact

When your current disciplinary measures, if there are any, can't keep your players from making dumb decisions at absolute critical times in the game, then maybe it's time to take more harsh measures. I'm not on board with a suspension. But I'd like to see them out of the game for a period of time to understand there are repercussions.
Least penalized team in Big 10 last year. You, uh, know that right?

Reactions: MisterBlack7
Do you even watch the games? We have a long history of making boneheaded mistakes at critical points during games. Least penalized means nothing.
Read the original post old geyser. I can name 2 in the last 5 years. Let’s hear your “ history” of them. Let’s see, in 10 years we played a little over 120 games. Name me 12. That’s 10%. I’ll wait….

Read the original post old geyser. I can name 2 in the last 5 years. Let’s hear your “ history” of them. Let’s see, in 10 years we played a little over 120 games. Name me 12. That’s 10%. I’ll wait….
I can name at least 7 this year. And I could go on and on. But the one that sums it all up is Lorenzo Neal's personal foul penalty in 2018 that sealed the Northwestern loss. At that time, we got the same message from Brohm that it was on him to fix it. And here we are.

1) Penn State - Sheffield holds the ball in the wrong hand and fumbles it against Penn State when they had a chance to take a lead prior to halftime. Then missed tackles by Purdue led to a Penn St touchdown.
2) Penn State - At the start of the fourth quarter, O'Connell completed a seven-yard pass to junior running back Dylan Downing that would have given the team a manageable third down if not for redshirt senior tight end Payne Durham being called for an illegal blind-side block. And that blind side block was not even a factor in the play.
3) Penn State - Later in the quarter, with an opportunity to potentially close out the game starting in Penn State territory, O'Connell completed a pass to Durham for a gain of 10 yards to start the drive with under seven minutes to play. However, a chop block penalty put Purdue back on its own side of the field facing second-and-25. From there, the drive stalled and ended in a punt after just five plays. Doerue clearly tried to block wayyy low while the OL was engaging. Dumb play.
4) Syracuse - Sullivan clearly hits Shrader out of bounds for absolutely no reason on third and long. Would have led to a punt. Instead first down Syracuse and later a touchdown.
5) Syracuse - O'Connell throws a pass right at the Syracuse DL for a pick six.
6) Syracuse - Durham mouths off for a 15 yard penalty on special teams. That's two idiotic penalties so far this year.
7) Syracuse - Jeff Brohm mouths off to the officials for an additional 10 yards after #6

From the past:
8) Nevada 2019 - Rondale Moore muffs two punts in the game setting up touchdowns.
9) Wisconsin 2004 - Kyle Orton fumble - no explanation needed.
10) Iowa 2019 - The Boilermakers cut it to 19-13 on J.D. Dellinger's 36-yard field goal with 2:59 left. Purdue was assessed a personal foul after squibbing the ensuing kickoff to midfield, though, and runs of 21 and 14 yards by Sargent gave the Hawkeyes the cushion they'd been looking for all day.

11) Northwestern 2018 - And this one sums it all up. Same message from Brohm after this game as he said then:
"The lack-of-discipline part is on me and we'll work hard and I will work hard this week to get that fixed and make sure that we're not beating ourselves and doing just dumb things," Brohm said.

Brohm said Monday the Jones penalty and Lorenzo Neal's personal foul guaranteeing Northwestern's victory the week before were an indication of a Purdue team that "still has a lot of growing up to do" and a message to the head coach of poor leadership action by his football team. Through two games this season, Purdue is 120th nationally and 13th in the Big Ten in penalty yardage, obviously a major reason behind Purdue's 0-2 start to the 2018 campaign.

Serious question, did anyone see what the special team coach did to get flagged? If not it’s hard to judge the call when those refs were so one sided towards the end of the game. Yes shut your mouth and Purdue most likely walks away with it but those refs were fighting like hell for Syracuse!
I think it was Jimmy Johnson who said something to the effect of "if you let the refs influence the game, they will."

Meaning, if you put them in the position to make a judgement call, regardless of how bad that call might be, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I can name at least 7 this year. And I could go on and on. But the one that sums it all up is Lorenzo Neal's personal foul penalty in 2018 that sealed the Northwestern loss. At that time, we got the same message from Brohm that it was on him to fix it. And here we are.

1) Penn State - Sheffield holds the ball in the wrong hand and fumbles it against Penn State when they had a chance to take a lead prior to halftime. Then missed tackles by Purdue led to a Penn St touchdown.
2) Penn State - At the start of the fourth quarter, O'Connell completed a seven-yard pass to junior running back Dylan Downing that would have given the team a manageable third down if not for redshirt senior tight end Payne Durham being called for an illegal blind-side block. And that blind side block was not even a factor in the play.
3) Penn State - Later in the quarter, with an opportunity to potentially close out the game starting in Penn State territory, O'Connell completed a pass to Durham for a gain of 10 yards to start the drive with under seven minutes to play. However, a chop block penalty put Purdue back on its own side of the field facing second-and-25. From there, the drive stalled and ended in a punt after just five plays. Doerue clearly tried to block wayyy low while the OL was engaging. Dumb play.
4) Syracuse - Sullivan clearly hits Shrader out of bounds for absolutely no reason on third and long. Would have led to a punt. Instead first down Syracuse and later a touchdown.
6) Syracuse - Durham mouths off for a 15 yard penalty on special teams. That's two idiotic penalties so far this year.
7) Syracuse - Jeff Brohm mouths off to the officials for an additional 10 yards after #6

From the past:
8) Nevada 2019 - Rondale Moore muffs two punts in the game setting up touchdowns.
10) Iowa 2019 - The Boilermakers cut it to 19-13 on J.D. Dellinger's 36-yard field goal with 2:59 left. Purdue was assessed a personal foul after squibbing the ensuing kickoff to midfield, though, and runs of 21 and 14 yards by Sargent gave the Hawkeyes the cushion they'd been looking for all day.

11) Northwestern 2018 - And this one sums it all up. Same message from Brohm after this game as he said then:
"The lack-of-discipline part is on me and we'll work hard and I will work hard this week to get that fixed and make sure that we're not beating ourselves and doing just dumb things," Brohm said.

Brohm said Monday the Jones penalty and Lorenzo Neal's personal foul guaranteeing Northwestern's victory the week before were an indication of a Purdue team that "still has a lot of growing up to do" and a message to the head coach of poor leadership action by his football team. Through two games this season, Purdue is 120th nationally and 13th in the Big Ten in penalty yardage, obviously a major reason behind Purdue's 0-2 start to the 2018 campaign.
You really are an old geyser spouting off all these examples!
Purdue making a dumb play is like Old Faithful. You can set your watch to it.

Durham and Sullivan should not be allowed to dress for the next game. The Special teams coach should be fired, even without the stupid penalty. I don't care if that makes us lose the next game, the message needs to be sent.

Durham and the Syracuse player were jawing for 5 seconds before the flag was thrown. I don't know why Payne was the only one to be called for it but you can't give the officials the chance to do that to you. Just smile and walk away.
Agree, I'm puzzled why it wasn't offsetting penalties. While Purdue legitimately had stupid mistakes, there were some very questionable calls from referee crew that were puzzling. Incomplete Pass / Fumble review was one.
Not targetting for helmet to helmet hit was another determined by head ref and helmet to helmet clearly popped off Payne's helmet.

Purdue DID NOT play well enough to win and lost composure. All that said, there were a lot of in game calls that either missed or determined by head referee to not be an infraction. For instance, I'd see PI on Purdue in the last drive while in the same frame watching Syracuse linemen flat out tackling our DL. Safety Chris Jefferson broke thru on a blitz and was clothes lined on that drive as well (minimum he was held). How that doesn't get called when there are LJ, CJ and BJ refs watching from Tackle to Tackle is beyond head scratching.

I'm not saying the crew was on the take, but seems odd of inconsistent calls. Reminds me of a similar experience that I've seen before. Purdue and Illinois has experienced this before in 2007 with Stephon Pamon. Not paying taxes on income opened up to him up to being susceptible to investigation for game fixing and gambling (Purdue/Penn State & Illinois/Ohio State).

Reactions: DAG10 and NVboiler
You really are an old geyser spouting off all these examples!
Purdue making a dumb play is like Old Faithful. You can set your watch to it.
Funny and an excellent analogy. We see lack of discipline over and over again.
During both the Haze and Hope era, there were too many S.T. gaffes usually where our gunner would hit the player after fair catches or hit before receiving the ball.

Agree, I'm puzzled why it wasn't offsetting penalties. While Purdue legitimately had stupid mistakes, there were some very questionable calls from referee crew that were puzzling. Incomplete Pass / Fumble review was one.
Not targetting for helmet to helmet hit was another determined by head ref and helmet to helmet clearly popped off Payne's helmet.

Purdue DID NOT play well enough to win and lost composure. All that said, there were a lot of in game calls that either missed or determined by head referee to not be an infraction. For instance, I'd see PI on Purdue in the last drive while in the same frame watching Syracuse linemen flat out tackling our DL. Safety Chris Jefferson broke thru on a blitz and was clothes lined on that drive as well (minimum he was held). How that doesn't get called when there are LJ, CJ and BJ refs watching from Tackle to Tackle is beyond head scratching.

I'm not saying the crew was on the take, but seems odd of inconsistent calls. Reminds me of a similar experience that I've seen before. Purdue and Illinois has experienced this before in 2007 with Stephon Pamon. Not paying taxes on income opened up to him up to being susceptible to investigation for game fixing and gambling (Purdue/Penn State & Illinois/Ohio State).

It is undeniable that Purdue got screwed, and, screwed repeatedly at that on Saturday...from the outset...to the end.

It absolutely influenced the outcome...heck, it arguably decided the outcome.

That said, a really stupid penalty by Sullivan, and, a subsequent one by Durham late put Purdue in a position to lose a game that it otherwise should have won, despite having been screwed by the officials.

I would be stunned to learn of another game with 7 penalties called against an opponent in the final 50-seconds of a game that contributed to a team's game-winning drive.

I would be stunned to learn of another game with 7 penalties called against an opponent in the final 50-seconds of a game that contributed to a team's game-winning drive.
I can well remember a Purdue football game in the early 1960s. Near the end of the game the opposing team hadn't been able to move the ball or score. Back on their own 30 or 40. But suddenly almost every play was a phoney call against Purdue, typically non-existent off sides when there was none, letting the opponent march the ball downfield, to be culminated by a "touchdown" throw caught at least 5 yards behind the end zone right in front of me. The ref could not throw up his hands fast enough! This didn't affect the outgame of the game in the least as Purdue was very far ahead, but it made me never trust any game officials again. I don't know why the opponents HAD to score, but the refs on their side did score. And I don't believe the opponents made an inch on that dirve, but the refs sure did. Back in those days with no TV and no instant replay, the refs cou;d do pretty much as they liked.

But it's not just calling fouls, it's deliberately ignoring other ones occuring right in front of them that can't be missed unless you're blind.

Reactions: DAG10
Where did I suggest firing the coach?
He makes nobody accountable for (regular) stupid penalties. They are back in the game on the next play.
He’s in season 6 - and it’s still happening.
If you’re satisfied - so be it. I’m not.
We have had some serious mental breakdowns with stupid penalties. Not just this season. Our NT body slamming a QB after the whistle cost us the game against Eastern Michigan. I believe a CB had a late hit the play before. 30 yards of penalties and they kick the winning FG.

This is coaching.

It is undeniable that Purdue got screwed, and, screwed repeatedly at that on Saturday...from the outset...to the end.

It absolutely influenced the outcome...heck, it arguably decided the outcome.

That said, a really stupid penalty by Sullivan, and, a subsequent one by Durham late put Purdue in a position to lose a game that it otherwise should have won, despite having been screwed by the officials.

In press conference, Brohm eluded to submitting video clips for review. Without saying it influenced the outcome, he didn't have to. Believe coaches get fines for additional comments so he didn't add any further comments. A few of those refs or the entire crew needs to be pulled from further B1G games pending on how they grade out.
Hard part of that video submit complaint from Purdue is that several flags are both "real & stupid" penalties. The complaint only goes to noise if you are the repeating offender.

From here thru the end of season, I'd expect Purdue to have a target on it's back for flags even if marginal.

Last edited:
Reactions: NVboiler

From the past:

Love it! Got the blood pressure up huh old man! Lol. Soooo, every penalty counts as a bone headed play? You’re an idiot . By the way you have #3 wrong. That was Kings man who twisted and he chopped him. Hartwig happened to come off his and pick up the twist. That’s why the chop was called on King. And guessing by #9 you would support benching Rondale too! Again, a blathering idiot.

Love it! Got the blood pressure up huh old man! Lol. Soooo, every penalty counts as a bone headed play? You’re an idiot . By the way you have #3 wrong. That was Kings man who twisted and he chopped him. Hartwig happened to come off his and pick up the twist. That’s why the chop was called on King. And guessing by #9 you would support benching Rondale too! Again, a blathering idiot.
What is your pleasure in name calling an loyal alumni?

I made a mistake on this board calling for S.T. coach Karl Maslowski to be fired (pissed about 15 yard penalty). Brohm admits it was on him and nobody else. He sat for Covid as a B1G rule, Give your brother the headset and watch from the booth for unnecessary penalty directly costing Purdue field position and loss of game. Lead by example.

That said, 2 kick offs out of bounds and blocked extra point this early into the season will lead to further problems if not cleaned up. Maslowski, get S.T. functioning without big errors or Purdue can find somebody who will do it.

I made a mistake on this board calling for S.T. coach Karl Maslowski to be fired (pissed about 15 yard penalty). Brohm admits it was on him and nobody else. He sat for Covid as a B1G rule, Give your brother the headset and watch from the booth for unnecessary penalty directly costing Purdue field position and loss of game. Lead by example.

That said, 2 kick offs out of bounds and blocked extra point this early into the season will lead to further problems if not cleaned up. Maslowski, get S.T. functioning without big errors or Purdue can find somebody who will do it.
The blathering idiot has returned. You’re a POS for calling for a man to get fired and per your post, don’t have the balls to apologize for it.

So there's not a history of boneheaded mistakes costing games from 2018, even though Brohm himself said it? And when you muff two punts in a game, you may want to bench Rondale for a period of time to send a message. Pretty sure you're the idiot here...

BTW, I'm guessing you're an ex player or waterboy at Purdue who couldn't handle discipline...

Last edited:

I said the same thing. The TV guys said it was Maslowski. Brohm clearly said after the game it was him.

However, what I will say is that if the performance of the special teams doesn't get any better, Maslowski needs to go...

In press conference, Brohm eluded to submitting video clips for review. Without saying it influenced the outcome, he didn't have to. Believe coaches get fines for additional comments so he didn't add any further comments. A few of those refs or the entire crew needs to be pulled from further B1G games pending on how they grade out.
Hard part of that video submit complaint from Purdue is that several flags are both "real & stupid" penalties. The complaint only goes to noise if you are the repeating offender.

From here thru the end of season, I'd expect Purdue to have a target on it's back for flags even if marginal.
They already did/have...so, hard to imagine it being any different.

The inconsistency from game-to-game/crew-to-crew is bad...heck, within a game it can be bad...and, there were calls on Saturday that were just brutal, and, all but made up for that matter.

Again...7 penalties in the final 50 seconds...not sure if that has ever even happened, as it so defies any logic...and, one of them (a phantom one at that) occurred on the same play that the most blatant hold maybe ever took place directly in front of two officials who chose to ignore it (nor does it include the call that was missed immediately before the awful PI call by the same official where the guy was clearly out of bounds, but, Simpson came in vehemently signaling a catch).

The reversal of the fumble at the end of the first half was worse...just can't have that happen, and, it never should have...that some clown outside of the game with the benefit of review could not get it right is even more concerning, as, the crew was inept as it was, then, some other clown jumps into to trump them somehow.

There were missed calls in the PSU game that hurt Purdue...there were calls in that game that hurt them.

Reactions: NVboiler
After just watching the game on espnU, this is a game P should have definitely W.
The mistakes (penalties) are correctable. You will be just fine 👍
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

So there's not a history of boneheaded mistakes costing games from 2018, even though Brohm himself said it? And when you muff two punts in a game, you may want to bench Rondale for a period of time to send a message. Pretty sure you're the idiot here...

BTW, I'm guessing you're an ex player or waterboy at Purdue who couldn't handle discipline...
The fact that you say “bench Rondale” tells me all I need to know about your sports knowledge. You’re an old clown who’s past your sell-by date.

This thread made me think of some really dumb personal foul/unsportsmanlike penalties that either completely turned the game or essentially ended it.

1) Mackey had a stupid penalty, I think a personal foul or interference on a 2nd and 21 in 2020 against NE. Purdue also had a 15 yarder after the kickoff to get NE from their 7 to the 22 to start that drive.

2) Sullivan's dumbass on Saturday.

3) Neal against NW in 2018. Roughing the passer I want to say.

4) encore for Neal against Missouri late in the 4th for roughing the passer.

5) LB Jones Against Eastern Michigan

Last edited:
This thread made me think of some really dumb personal foul/unsportsmanlike penalties that either completely turned the game or essentially ended it.

1) Mackey had a stupid penalty, I think a personal foul or interference on a 2nd and 21 in 2020. Purdue also had a 15 yarder after the kickoff on the same defensive series.

2) Sullivan's dumbass on Saturday.

3) Neal against NW

4) LB Jones (?) Against Missouri
Think Cornell Jones was a late hit against Eastern Mich

Saw this gem from 2018 after the Missouri loss. Sound familiar?

PENALTY WOES

After too many costly penalties the first two games of the season, Brohm sent a warning this week that players called for 15-yard penalties would be pulled from the game. It happened twice against Missouri. The first on center Kirk Barron late in the first quarter, but he never left the game. The other, like previous weeks, came on fourth down late in the game. Tackle Lorenzo Neal was called for roughing the passer and sent to the sideline for a play before he returned.

''We played a good football team and had a chance, but we shot ourselves in the foot,'' Brohm said. ''We can't beat a good team by doing silly things and that's what we did.''

Saw this gem from 2018 after the Missouri loss. Sound familiar?

PENALTY WOES

After too many costly penalties the first two games of the season, Brohm sent a warning this week that players called for 15-yard penalties would be pulled from the game. It happened twice against Missouri. The first on center Kirk Barron late in the first quarter, but he never left the game. The other, like previous weeks, came on fourth down late in the game. Tackle Lorenzo Neal was called for roughing the passer and sent to the sideline for a play before he returned.

''We played a good football team and had a chance, but we shot ourselves in the foot,'' Brohm said. ''We can't beat a good team by doing silly things and that's what we did.''
But, but, but according to @BlkGoldHoops , this isn't a recurring issue for Purdue...and he's kind of the smartest guy in the room, in his own mind...

But, but, but according to @BlkGoldHoops , this isn't a recurring issue for Purdue...and he's kind of the smartest guy in the room, in his own mind...
See you’re the idiot that if Brohm did pull a key player and his backup made a horrible game changing play, you would be the first to argue he shouldn’t have pulled him. Sometimes, old geyser, it’s better to remain silent and let people assume you’re a fool, then to speak, and remove all doubt.

See you’re the idiot that if Brohm did pull a key player and his backup made a horrible game changing play, you would be the first to argue he shouldn’t have pulled him. Sometimes, old geyser, it’s better to remain silent and let people assume you’re a fool, then to speak, and remove all doubt.
Now your response is about what you think I'd do? Got it. So are you going to admit you were wrong about this not being a recurring issue? Or are you just going to dig a bigger hole for yourself? Maybe you should look at the part about remaining silent...

No that's what you would do, Captain Projection.
If the coach says he is going to bench people and fails to do so, that's on him when things don't change.
If he follows through, and the backup makes a mistake, that's on the starter. His dumb play of taking a bad penalty was compounded and he cost the team. That's how players learn consequences.

No that's what you would do, Captain Projection.
If the coach says he is going to bench people and fails to do so, that's on him when things don't change.
If he follows through, and the backup makes a mistake, that's on the starter. His dumb play of taking a bad penalty was compounded and he cost the team. That's how players learn consequences.
So pull Rondale because he muffed a punt? Got it, because after all, no one ever muffs a punt. Maybe pull the QB when he gets a delay of game. Lol. You’re an idiot too. “ Delay of game? Aiden get your ass over here on the bench! I’ll teach you about consequences! I know we have to drive down the field via passes, Burton, get in there!!!!”🤡🤡

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT