ADVERTISEMENT

What does Purdue do to correct “Lack of Discipline”?

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
We can all banter how bad the refs sucked, but giving up 30 yards due to unsportsmanlike conduct killed the should have been comeback win.
Appears to be a pattern of lack of discipline and costly mistakes.
Good teams don’t shoot themselves in the foot. Bad teams get emotional about referring. bad calls, and lose.
Purdue is heading to 6-6 very fast and that is if we are lucky late in the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: purduepat1969
We can all banter how bad the refs sucked, but giving up 30 yards due to unsportsmanlike conduct killed the should have been comeback win.
Good teams don’t shoot themselves in the foot. Bad teams get emotional about referring. bad calls, and lose.
Purdue is heading to 6-6 very fast and that is if we are lucky late in the season.
Punishment Battalions. It worked for the Rooskies in dubbya dubbya two! Just ask the Germans.

Hold someone, anyone accountable. Why we let players back on the field after dumb, intentional penalties is part of the problem.

Reactions: DAG10
Durham and Sullivan should not be allowed to dress for the next game. The Special teams coach should be fired, even without the stupid penalty. I don't care if that makes us lose the next game, the message needs to be sent.

Durham and the Syracuse player were jawing for 5 seconds before the flag was thrown. I don't know why Payne was the only one to be called for it but you can't give the officials the chance to do that to you. Just smile and walk away.

Durham and Sullivan should not be allowed to dress for the next game. The Special teams coach should be fired, even without the stupid penalty. I don't care if that makes us lose the next game, the message needs to be sent.

Durham and the Syracuse player were jawing for 5 seconds before the flag was thrown. I don't know why Payne was the only one to be called for it but you can't give the officials the chance to do that to you. Just smile and walk away.

^^^This. I don't care if they hit the portal or not. Instill some discipline...

Not sure at this point about firing, but get a one game suspension like the players as well is good enough to send a message.

Not sure at this point about firing, but get a one game suspension like the players as well is good enough for me and sends a message.

I was just thinking when you add in how special he has made our special teams. I don't know what he did. Maybe it was just asking the ref what happened and they were looking for any excuse to penalize us.

Reactions: NVboiler
In the post game interview, Brohm made it sound like the 15 yard penalty was on him asking for an explanation. The TV guys said it was on the special teams coordinator. So not sure which. I'm guessing Brohm is taking the heat of of his coach. While admirable, it doesn't hold people accountable...

Reactions: FastMJ
They will be lucky to get to 6-6. when you make the same mistakes over and over it is bad habits not luck. 100% on coaches.

Serious question, did anyone see what the special team coach did to get flagged? If not it’s hard to judge the call when those refs were so one sided towards the end of the game. Yes shut your mouth and Purdue most likely walks away with it but those refs were fighting like hell for Syracuse!

Reactions: DAG10 and NVboiler
In the post game interview, Brohm made it sound like the 15 yard penalty was on him asking for an explanation. The TV guys said it was on the special teams coordinator. So not sure which. I'm guessing Brohm is taking the heat of of his coach. While admirable, it doesn't hold people accountable...
On the radio, they said the penalty was on Brohm. And they said he was questioning the call.

Get a coach that makes players (and staff) accountable for stupid penalties?
Just wow. 3 games into the season after a 9 win season and already this stuff.

I watched the same game as all of you and absolutely think Durham did nothing to get flagged. If you throw flags for jawing back and forth then there would be 50+ penalties per game for it. If you believe Brohm he was flagged for asking for clarification as to why Durham was flagged.

We have had two hard fought losses against teams that might be pretty good. And we didn’t play perfect or even really well but if 3 Syracuse TOs aren’t all overturned then we win. If multiple PIs are called on Syracuse cb against Jones then we win. If both PIs aren’t called on us on the last drive, one of which I 100% disagree with and the other certainly could have been called uncatchable then we win. And yes if we play better we of course win.

Those of you always ready to blame the coach and fire them deserve 20 years of Hazell level coaching and if I wasn’t a Purdue football fan myself I would almost wish it on you all.

Give Brohm a lifetime contract!!!!!!!

I watched the same game as all of you and absolutely think Durham did nothing to get flagged. If you throw flags for jawing back and forth then there would be 50+ penalties per game for it. If you believe Brohm he was flagged for asking for clarification as to why Durham was flagged.

We have had two hard fought losses against teams that might be pretty good. And we didn’t play perfect or even really well but if 3 Syracuse TOs aren’t all overturned then we win. If multiple PIs are called on Syracuse cb against Jones then we win. If both PIs aren’t called on us on the last drive, one of which I 100% disagree with and the other certainly could have been called uncatchable then we win. And yes if we play better we of course win.

Those of you always ready to blame the coach and fire them deserve 20 years of Hazell level coaching and if I wasn’t a Purdue football fan myself I would almost wish it on you all.

When you don't perform, you should be held accountable. Right now, at this point in the season, his coaching is a hot mess. He and his team have given away 2 games they should have easily won because of on field lack of discipline. We don't need a lifetime contract (I'm hoping that was sarcasm). We need him to dole out accountability to his players and staff.

BTW, isn't your Indinia team 3-0? You should be happy...

At some point in time a coach has to realize actions have consequences! A coach should s also be very aware of what the refs will allow and what they will call every time! How many times do you have to tell a coach do not taunt after scoring a td late in a game! It will always be called! Brohm should know this! Even I know this! Coaches have a meeting at the beginning of the year! They are informed what ref will call. Did Brohm skip that meeting?

is it time to start talking about track yet?

Where did I suggest firing the coach?
He makes nobody accountable for (regular) stupid penalties. They are back in the game on the next play.
He’s in season 6 - and it’s still happening.
If you’re satisfied - so be it. I’m not.

Where did I suggest firing the coach?
He makes nobody accountable for (regular) stupid penalties. They are back in the game on the next play.
He’s in season 6 - and it’s still happening.
If you’re satisfied - so be it. I’m not.
You said get a staff to hold people accountable. I thought that meant not this staff. My apologies if that is not what you meant.

I was over the top satisfied with 9 wins last year and still think this could be a good year. But even if it isn’t you don’t just replace coaches who have shown the capability to win 9 games at Purdue. Those guys are few and far between. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: Tommaker
You said get a staff to hold people accountable. I thought that meant not this staff. My apologies if that is not what you meant.

I was over the top satisfied with 9 wins last year and still think this could be a good year. But even if it isn’t you don’t just replace coaches who have shown the capability to win 9 games at Purdue. Those guys are few and far between. Just my opinion of course.
Maybe shoulda said “make a coach accountable”… my bad.
We are in much better position with Brohm after Hazell (obviously) - they just don’t seem to be able to correct what’s left to get us over the hump. We shall see - I will be there next Saturday night!

Maybe shoulda said “make a coach accountable”… my bad.
We are in much better position with Brohm after Hazell (obviously) - they just don’t seem to be able to correct what’s left to get us over the hump. We shall see - I will be there next Saturday night!
I certainly agree with you and others that we have to clean up some stuff. I don’t think anyone would disagree. The late hit out of bounds bothered me more than the Durham/coach penalties because it cost us a game last year too I believe.

Special teams still baffles me as well. I think we are better than two years ago but still not anywhere near a strength on the team.

But all in all I personally believe we are 1-2 plays from 3-0 after facing 2 teams I think are pretty good (time will tell).

Hopefully we win next week and I still do not think it’s out of the question to win 6 games in the Big which would have us around 8 wins pre bowl game and I would be ok with that. If we happen to win only 6 total I would be disappointed but certainly not calling for the head of the coach that won us 9 last season.

After a lot of bad years in my lifetime I try to be thankful for what we have knowing how much worse it could be.

Reactions: pu1985
I certainly agree with you and others that we have to clean up some stuff. I don’t think anyone would disagree. The late hit out of bounds bothered me more than the Durham/coach penalties because it cost us a game last year too I believe.

Special teams still baffles me as well. I think we are better than two years ago but still not anywhere near a strength on the team.

But all in all I personally believe we are 1-2 plays from 3-0 after facing 2 teams I think are pretty good (time will tell).

Hopefully we win next week and I still do not think it’s out of the question to win 6 games in the Big which would have us around 8 wins pre bowl game and I would be ok with that. If we happen to win only 6 total I would be disappointed but certainly not calling for the head of the coach that won us 9 last season.

After a lot of bad years in my lifetime I try to be thankful for what we have knowing how much worse it could be.
Yeah, being an IU fan will do that to you...

With all the B1G media money you think the B1G could afford better refs.
It's gonna get scary as the money climbs even higher. I see it getting to a point where a ref makes a "no call" to keep a team in play for the NC and playoff. They won't be told to call it that way, but the suggestion will be there.

Reactions: TX4GB

Brohm has lost as many games with crap jobs by him than he has won by a great job on his part.

Is he better than Hazell...absolutely...so is just about any other average breathing human for that matter.

The guy is paid to win games...to make a difference. He failed miserably in the PSU game, and, again today. To your point...they are a couple of plays away from being 3-0...that is exactly THE point...save a couple of just crap plays and decisions by Brohm, they would be 3-0, and, they absolutely should be 3-0.

His clock management in both was SO bad, and, today, he was just flat bad across the board...

I like him...I really do...and, I appreciate what he has done in general, but, he has flat blown two games this year, and, the third was the equivalent of playing a HS team.

Realize...at some point...that the ability to run the football does actually matter, and, recognize that point...and, then recruit an actual quality legit B1G-level caliber guy (or, heave forbid, a couple) to use back there.

He overthinks things as a play caller...or, tries to get cute, instead of just doing what works or taking advantage of what is there. Jones and Durham were open...wide open for that matter most of the time...for the entire course of the game today, and, he ignored that far, far too often...it was no coincidence that Purdue scored when they went to Durham and Jones.

Not taking the points early, and, calling a completely ridiculous play on top of it was just stupid....good thing those points did not matter at the end.

And, Special Teams has largely sucked since he has been there...yet, it continues to be largely ignored...today, it was the difference in the game...not the first time that has been the case, and, because he does not seem to care, it won't be the last likely either.

Purdue had that game stolen from them today, but, they were in a position for it to happen because of so many other mistakes...by the staff, and, the players.

When Sullivan committed his penalty, that was completely unacceptable, he sat out a play...I am sure that really delivered a message and will prevent that from happening again.

Whatever their ultimate record is this year, it will be 2 wins less than it should have been had Brohm simply done a decent job...not even a good one.

I get punishment…but portal is a little over the top
My guess...nothing...or, barely more than such...there were so many phantom calls at the end of that game it is ridiculous. Those guys in stripes might as well have just been wearing orange, as, they literally did everything that they could to make sure that turned out as it did.

^^^This. I don't care if they hit the portal or not. Instill some discipline...
I think some call it “creating a culture“ and if you don’t wake people up then that’s the culture you created. Looks like “that’s the culture that’s been created“. Reminds me of the Northwestern game several years ago with Lorenzo Neal. We had that game, and then somebody couldn’t handle prosperity and lost their ability to behave. All these years later it’s still happening and the coaching staff is also allowed to do it. #Culture

I think some call it “creating a culture“ and if you don’t wake people up then that’s the culture you created. Looks like “that’s the culture that’s been created“. Reminds me of the Northwestern game several years ago with Lorenzo Neal. We had that game, and then somebody couldn’t handle prosperity and lost their ability to behave. All these years later it’s still happening and the coaching staff is also allowed to do it. #Culture
Never has a team handled prosperity worse than Purdue largely...they go out of their way at times seemingly to screw things up or make things difficult.

Some of the things today were just complete ineptitude...including the final TD for that matter...I don't care what anybody says, Ron English as DC has not been an improvement in any way, and, THAT play at the end...was what you see in Jr. HS...maybe not even that, as I think there are coaches at THAT level that know "deeper than the deepest, wider than the widest"...never more so than at the end of a program when a TD is the only thing that can beat you.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Never has a team handled prosperity worse than Purdue largely...they go out of their way at times seemingly to screw things up or make things difficult.

Some of the things today were just complete ineptitude...including the final TD for that matter...I don't care what anybody says, Ron English as DC has not been an improvement in any way, and, THAT play at the end...was what you see in Jr. HS...maybe not even that, as I think there are coaches at THAT level that know "deeper than the deepest, wider than the widest"...never more so than at the end of a program when a TD is the only thing that can beat you.
Couldn’t agree more. My question is ‘why so much running the mouth?”
On defense you saw it with Cory Trice more than once in that last drive and sure enough he runs his mouth after making some great plays back to back and then gets nailed for the PI… why not just shut your mouth and play the game knowing that you’re gonna have situations where you ‘don’t look so hot?’
just seems like it makes more sense to shut your mouth and focus on the next play like a professional does.

Couldn’t agree more. My question is ‘why so much running the mouth?”
On defense you saw it with Cory Trice more than once in that last drive and sure enough he runs his mouth after making some great plays back to back and then gets nailed for the PI… why not just shut your mouth and play the game knowing that you’re gonna have situations where you ‘don’t look so hot?’
just seems like it makes more sense to shut your mouth and focus on the next play like a professional does.
Again, lack of discipline...no repercussions...and, part of a culture that the staff has either fostered, or, condones.

Trice is a guy that I would have liked to have thought would be a calming force and a leader for that group...but, unfortunately, that is not the case.

To your point...at some point likely, you are going to look "not so hot"...just do your job, and, do it to the best of your ability...quit talking to guys and just do what you are generally supposed to do.

So all personal foul penalties warrant 1 game suspension? Got it.

So all personal foul penalties warrant 1 game suspension? Got it.

When your current disciplinary measures, if there are any, can't keep your players from making dumb decisions at absolute critical times in the game, then maybe it's time to take more harsh measures. I'm not on board with a suspension. But I'd like to see them out of the game for a period of time to understand there are repercussions.

Reactions: Inspector100
I hope this discipline situation has already been dealt with and the door on stupidity has been slammed shut. Just glad the Vol boys aren’t over here posting YouTube video of Bob Dylan strummin “How does it Feel?”

ADVERTISEMENT