ADVERTISEMENT

We're not good

Too much standing around....guys aren't fighting to get open looks... last year we use to feed the post and kick it back out for open shots. At 7'3 Haarms needs to toughen up and start being a dominate player underneath...Ball movement in general just sux...

Haarms is soft. Being 7’3 doesn’t mean shit if you play like you’re 6’8. He’s never going to dominate.

Wow, Painter's success has really spoiled you babies. Keep crying and maybe Brad Stevens will feel sorry for us and come coach Purdue.
He hasn’t done as well as the coaches that came before him: Keady, Rose and King all went further in the NCAAs. If anyone is “spoiled”, the spoiling came from coaches other than Painter.

Again, I’m not in the Fire Painter camp yet. But if we miss the tourney this year and next, and I think that’s a distinct possibility, then I think we need to try a different tack.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
If cline goes 3/10 we win and this entire conversation is different. It was a historically bad shooting night for Cline and the team in general.

Painter has successfully recruited scorers. Let me ask you, should he have not redshirted SS and AW last year to give them 1-3 minutes playing time per game to gain experience and be more ready to score this year? Of course not. These two are going to be great scorers for us eventually. But they are FRESHMAN!!! Freshman miss shots and make mistakes! This entire convo is ridiculous. I am very excited about the young players on this team and the players coming in next year.
...and a historically hot shooting night for Texas. Let's not drop that part of the equation.

Well... we left guys wide open left and right due to our lack of team quickness...that definitely helped them.
We did that to stop the drives into the paint. We counted on Texas shooting poorly as they normally do. In defense you have to cheat on one aspect and bolster another in the hope of creating mismatches. Texas shot lights out, even with hands in their face. That happens sometimes.

Our lack of scoring is what lost us the game. Too few assists, too few people tying to score. Too many guys passing the ball to the next guy instead of aggressively attacking the basket. It seemed like when we got a couple layups blocked the guys completely backed off except for Carsen. Just my take.

We did that to stop the drives into the paint. We counted on Texas shooting poorly as they normally do. In defense you have to cheat on one aspect and bolster another in the hope of creating mismatches. Texas shot lights out, even with hands in their face. That happens sometimes.

Our lack of scoring is what lost us the game. Too few assists, too few people tying to score. Too many guys passing the ball to the next guy instead of aggressively attacking the basket. It seemed like when we got a couple layups blocked the guys completely backed off except for Carsen. Just my take.
Well, if the plan was to let them shoot open 3s, shouldn’t CMP have made an adjustment when Texas showed they could hit them?

At the same time, doesn’t that present the best chance to win? I mean, it did almost work. It’s not like there are a wealth of other offensive options. When you’re #2 isn’t hitting, you can go to plans C and D or you can double down on plan A. Granted I’m not a coach but I feel like I’d do the same thing and roll the dice on the latter.
best chance to win... not long term, against good teams... Keep in mind, Texas is not that good. Its disappointing how little most of the other players improved.

Well, if the plan was to let them shoot open 3s, shouldn’t CMP have made an adjustment when Texas showed they could hit them?
Now, don't confuse me with being an expert at this stuff. I get most of it, but the subtleties often get past me. I think the strategy was to have the 4 double down in the post when Texas drove the ball, cutting off the driver, which worked most of the time. However, the 4 must race back to his man in the corner and cover him if he is a shooter. Eifert was doing that well, but Wheeler was not getting back as quickly.

IIRC one of the Texas shooters had hit a single three this season, so we tended to leave him open. I think he buried 3 or 4 3-pt shots against us. So the prep work, practice and game strategy all had to be corrected on the fly. In my opinion, not everybody got the message.

Then again, I don't know if I could say with certainty that this game was lost by our defense. I think our offense did not play well. We shot poorly from 3-pt range, and we did not get balanced scoring. I would say the offensive end is where we lost the Texas game.

Thought I saw a stat that we only had 7ast. on 27 fg.Not very good if the stat is right !

We all know the answer, he'll figure it out, in a couple of years, but make no mistake, this will be a multi-year dip. And he WILL be afforded the opportunity to wait a few classes to fix it. And this group will be thrown under the bus for not having the right attitude, "we got away from getting Purdue guys" etc. History repeats itself. 2019 & 2020 are downright scary right now.
Do you think this is what happened with Ronnie Johnson? He was thrown under the bus?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT