ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday is Signing Day

As an aside, I did a quick search on players who transferred away from Purdue last year to see how things were going.

DB Major seems to be one of a few players to be a contributor with his new team at 2-6 Middle Tennessee. He participated in 8 games with 24 total tackles and 2 passes defended.
OLB Jack Smith had 9 total tackles and 1 sack for Campbell in 3 games. They only played 4 games this year and were 0-4. He is only a sophomore, so he should continue to get opportunities.

CB Hamilton, Now plays for Eastern Illinois as a WR and is still on the active roster. They are playing their games in the spring.
WR Bonnor, Now plays for Elon and is still on the active roster. They are playing their games in the spring.

LB Cornel Jones was dismissed from Florida State in June, despite being a walk-on.
CB Rucker opted out from North Texas after a couple of games.
TE Pittman has 2 catches for 20yds with a 1-6 Temple team.
DE Reviere, Chattanooga didn't really play this year.
CB Perkins, Hampton didn't play this year due to Covid but Perkins wasn't on the 2020 roster.

Other than Jones, none of these guys went to a P5 school and most end up washing out.
What's the deal? Do they have expectations of being a big fish in a little pond, putting up big stats, getting notice by scouts and hope to perform well at the combine? That's a low % bet.

They'd be much better off sticking it out at Purdue and getting a Purdue degree since the liklihood of making the NFL is very slim.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Other than Jones, none of these guys went to a P5 school and most end up washing out.
What's the deal? Do they have expectations of being a big fish in a little pond, putting up big stats, getting notice by scouts and hope to perform well at the combine? That's a low % bet.

They'd be much better off sticking it out at Purdue and getting a Purdue degree since the liklihood of making the NFL is very slim.

Well, I expect every situation is different. Purdue recruits a good number of kids from out of state and some are simply homesick. Sometimes an injury or other setback will make people rethink things. Many have been recruited over, and JaMarcus always talks about how much he values competition. You have to be dedicated, insanely competitive, and tough minded to get playing time at wide receiver.

Defense has been in flux. Diaco probably prefers a certain kind of linebacker that is likely different than what Holt recruited for. Cornerback is one of the positions that Purdue seems to have trouble recruiting for and where transfers have hit depth the most. Looking back, the transition Trice made to CB looks huge now.

Some college kids just want an opportunity to play, but yeah, a Purdue degree should be a strong incentive to stick it out for those lower on the depth chart.

The players that transferred out (with the exception of Jones) were recruited over. It happens.

Better to go down a level and play than to transfer to another

Well, I expect every situation is different. Purdue recruits a good number of kids from out of state and some are simply homesick. Sometimes an injury or other setback will make people rethink things. Many have been recruited over, and JaMarcus always talks about how much he values competition. You have to be dedicated, insanely competitive, and tough minded to get playing time at wide receiver.

Defense has been in flux. Diaco probably prefers a certain kind of linebacker that is likely different than what Holt recruited for. Cornerback is one of the positions that Purdue seems to have trouble recruiting for and where transfers have hit depth the most. Looking back, the transition Trice made to CB looks huge now.

Some college kids just want an opportunity to play, but yeah, a Purdue degree should be a strong incentive to stick it out for those lower on the depth chart.

But, much of my point was that most of these guys end up going to no-name schools, which makes you question why they were recruited and given a scholie to Purdue in the first place.
If they're not talented enough to play at Purdue and no other P5 schools want them either (of the kid doesn't want to have to compete against other P5 talent), what's that say about the talent level we recruited?

But, much of my point was that most of these guys end up going to no-name schools, which makes you question why they were recruited and given a scholie to Purdue in the first place.
If they're not talented enough to play at Purdue and no other P5 schools want them either (of the kid doesn't want to have to compete against other P5 talent), what's that say about the talent level we recruited?
You see a high school player that excels, but look who he usually excels against, not very good players. Our coaches may like what they see, but that player is a work in progress. If he doesn't put in the effort, can't learn, or doesn't develop, or better players at the position arrive, it's not entirely on the coaches, and if the player wants to actually play, transferring may be really their only option.

This seems like a weird signing day. After the excitement of last 2 years this year seems like a major let down with no excitement and no impact guys outside of Yanni. Hopefully there is a surprise pick up or two

It happens all the time. Maybe a kid just isn't as good in college as he was in high school. Maybe he didn't work hard enough and got passed by, and then passed on by other Div 1 schools. There could be many factors at play. Problems at home, mental issues, etc. Every school, even the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world, miss on kids and they go further down the line to a lesser school. With schools recruiting effectively close to a whole new projected starting roster ever year, it's bound to happen.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and krf3632
This seems like a weird signing day. After the excitement of last 2 years this year seems like a major let down with no excitement and no impact guys outside of Yanni. Hopefully there is a surprise pick up or two
Purdue isnt at the point where it can stack talent like it is starting to do in basketball. Brohm needs to win for several years to do that.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Purdue isnt at the point where it can stack talent like it is starting to do in basketball. Brohm needs to win for several years to do that.
Yeah it’s kind of a conundrum. You need depth of talent to be a consistent winner but you have to win to get the talent. A chicken and egg thing almost

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I just went to the 247 site where it shows the players signed with Purdue and he’s not on there for some reason
It says he signed at 8:08 am with us, but he is officially announcing it at 12:30 EST publicly, so we probably did jump the gun by putting it on our Twitter page. You can see it below that he signed.

Yeah it’s kind of a conundrum. You need depth of talent to be a consistent winner but you have to win to get the talent. A chicken and egg thing almost
We had the momentum the first two years under Brohm. Then the last two years tended to end that. So it may be hard to gain it back again.

It says he signed at 8:08 am with us, but he is officially announcing it at 12:30 EST publicly, so we probably did jump the gun by putting it on our Twitter page. You can see it below that he signed.

Purdue mistakenly tweeted it out.

Lol at the 247 site guys who put their picks in at 10Am for him to purdue.

in order to have depth, you have to keep your players even if they are recruited over. if a team is winning and going to bowl games, players are more likely to stick around if they are not starters. But if the team is losing, and you're not starting, players tend to want to quit or look elsewhere. as for depth, you will never be able to create it if you have an environment where your non-starters are encouraged to leave and be replaced by more freshmen. While not starting, you need to keep these mediocre, experienced players.

the fact they didn't transfer to other power 5 schools places a huge ? at our original recruiting of them. In some cases, nobody else was interested in them in the first place and makes you wonder why we were.

We had the momentum the first two years under Brohm. Then the last two years tended to end that. So it may be hard to gain it back again.
You can look back at single incidents that changed Purdue fortunes. The Fumble is a big one. I see the play that cost us Sindelar and Moore for the season as that kind of moment. From a high flying offense to a mess. Without that we likely have a winning season and recruiting would have continued. Not getting recruits on campus for camps and visits certainly didn't help either.

as i look at this year's recruiting class, I am led to wonder "WHAT HAPPENED" ? It's not the ranking I'm concerned about. But rather it was the targets. if you look at the targets and offers Brohm made this year, it sure seemed like he set his sites a lot lower than in previous years. There were very few 4/5 star players that were even targeted. You're not going to sign very many 4/5 star players if you don't make them recruiting priorities/targets.

and please don't use COVID as an excuse. Other BIG 10 teams targeted 4/5 star players and signed them.

this year's class is as good/bad as it is because we set our sights a lot lower. We basically were able to sign the players we targeted, or players of the caliber we targeted.

another trend to look at iff you don't believe the stars are accurate. look at the offers our recruits received. We started recruiting against MAC and lower level teams again. We're not recruiting the same type of players UW, Mich, OSU etc are recruiting. and then we wonder why they constantly beat us. it's kind of disapointing when i see the names of liberty, Concordia, bethune Cookman, Northern Illinois, Central michigan, Albany as some of the schools we were competing against for some of our recruits.

We are only as good as the players we recruit. We can't compete with the BIG Boys in our conference if we don't recruit some big boys too. people talk about our average player rating being higher than in the past. that stat is rather meaningless because 12 other BIG 10 teams had higher average ratings than Purdue. If you really want to look at player averages, the only team we were higher than was Illinois. looking at player averages, purdue was higher than only Vanderbilt in the SEC.; Colorado, Arizona and Washington St in pac12; kansas in the BIG 12; and Syracuse and Wake forest in the ACC. When you recruit players of that level, you can expect results at that level as well.

brohm received his extension partly because of his recruiting ability. he even gets a bonus for it. I'm at a loss as to why this year, he set his sights so low. Even the receivers he recruited were a lot lower than his previous standards. When this is what you start with, you can't really expect the results to much better. We've become the Vanderbilt and Kansas of the BIG 10. at least, we still have a band.

Reactions: SKYDOG
in order to have depth, you have to keep your players even if they are recruited over. if a team is winning and going to bowl games, players are more likely to stick around if they are not starters. But if the team is losing, and you're not starting, players tend to want to quit or look elsewhere. as for depth, you will never be able to create it if you have an environment where your non-starters are encouraged to leave and be replaced by more freshmen. While not starting, you need to keep these mediocre, experienced players.
Where is your evidence that any non-starters are getting encouraged to leave?

• Wow
Reactions: Purdue85
Where is your evidence that any non-starters are getting encouraged to leave?
with the creation of the power 5, all football scholarships are 4 year scholarships and cannot be taken away. I've provided the link many times.

the only way a coach can recoup a scholarship and use it to have a big recruiting class is if the person voluntarily leaves the program or violates a school policy and is expelled by the school.

in the past 3 years, i have watched as many Purdue players were recruited over and became reserves, and then left the program.

Since they could not be kicked off the team just for mediocre performance, they had to voluntarily leave. They either quit or were encouraged to quit. and most times when a player quits, he's encouraged by a coach to do so.

admittedly there are some players who just leave of their own free will. You could say haarms and eastern left without painter encouraging either player to leave. Eastern could probably see the writing on the wall with the recruitment of Morton and ivey. but when you see an experienced player not starting, and replaced by a freshman, that's usually considered as encouragement to leave.

with the creation of the power 5, all football scholarships are 4 year scholarships and cannot be taken away. I've provided the link many times.
Thats only partially true. There are stipulations in there that, if violated, can cut the scholarship to a year to year. deal.

They either quit or were encouraged to quit. and most times when a player quits, he's encouraged by a coach to do so.

All you're doing is typing words, with no clue how things are really happening. Suspicions, at best. I asked you to provide evidence that you know that the coaches are encouraging depth-type players to leave. You haven't given any.

Let me guess, some idiot that doesnt know what theyre talking about thought tressel recruited all 4 stars.
Not exactly.
Your fave poster who incessantly wonders where all the four star OLs are, also thought we should have hired Tressel instead of Brohm.

I did have a question on White I don't see anything on him signing a LOI yet. Is there still a chance with him?

You see a high school player that excels, but look who he usually excels against, not very good players. Our coaches may like what they see, but that player is a work in progress. If he doesn't put in the effort, can't learn, or doesn't develop, or better players at the position arrive, it's not entirely on the coaches, and if the player wants to actually play, transferring may be really their only option.

that's why I like a lot of my skill position players ( I know, Bell is from IN) to come from FL or TX. A lot of those guys are just more talented than what you find at the high school level in the midwest.

Flipped. Signing to play for Azusa Pacific.

Ok, forgive me....is this for real? Is there such a school? If we were recruiting a kid that was also considering that school, then we have more issues in recruiting than I thought.

• Haha
Ok, forgive me....is this for real? Is there such a school? If we were recruiting a kid that was also considering that school, then we have more issues in recruiting than I thought.

I thought he was making up the school, but as I dont see where's he's signed i thought the flipped part was true.

Hopeful for Yanni signature in a few minutes. I also hope the splash comes from motivated Grad Transfers or mature JC stronger guys. I not buying what is being sold on the Transfer Portal at this point. From my outside view only...unhappy immature young men that couldn't get much if any playing time and don't want to face adversity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT