ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday is Signing Day

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We currently stand at 12 commitments that we know about. Wednesday is the start of the early signing period.

Do we get Yanni and Mbow? Any other surprises, positive or negative, on Wednesday?

I seem to think we are going to go JC and transfer portal with key spots that still need to be filled.

Reactions: ChuckJr and Fugs
It has been said by Coaches and media to expect a smaller class. However, with this season and the transfer portal, hope they have a few targets for over sign potentials or JC / Grad Transfer market for mature young men that can perform. I can think of two JC transfers that worked out (Akin Ayodele and Rob Ninkovich). I’m sure there are more that haven’t panned out as well. My whole point is mature young men that are hungry and want a chance.

Reactions: DAG10 and ChuckJr
I’ve heard that same phrase about it’s going to be a small class for the last two years and Brohm keeps maxing it out. With those 7 players leaving, Brohm will have plenty of room to add at least 20+ players once again!

I’d like to see Brohm add some actual quality players rather than adding more mediocre low 3 star players and 2 star players just to fill out the class!

but as I’ve said many times before great recruiting is dependent on winning. Winning creates success!

as for other prime recruits there is that RB who had offers from Florida and FSU! And both of those schools found a different RB as their first choice leaving him on the outside looking for other alternatives!

We currently stand at 12 commitments that we know about. Wednesday is the start of the early signing period.

Do we get Yanni and Mbow? Any other surprises, positive or negative, on Wednesday?

I seem to think we are going to go JC and transfer portal with key spots that still need to be filled.

I think that's still the most likely scenario that Purdue gets Yanni and Mbow. I feel a little less confident about it than I did a couple of weeks ago though. I think it was good to see Hartwig play this year to back up their pitch that if players show enough in practice, then they will play... regardless of position.

Kansas is pushing pretty hard for Mbow, but I have to think Purdue is making him a top priority too. Kansas is actually recruiting pretty well this year, considering they went 0-9 in a weaker conference. Yikes! They also have less competition on the roster for offensive line. However, Mbow already has a frame that matches or exceeds anything on the roster right now at 6-6 305lbs, so he should feel good about his opportunities at Purdue.

I don't know about Yanni, so I default to consensus. Purdue is the most likely but still not certain.

Reactions: boiler44
All transfers will be immediately eligible so any transfers are fair game now. Don’t have to rely on grad transfers for immediate help

Reactions: DAG10
I’ve heard that same phrase about it’s going to be a small class for the last two years and Brohm keeps maxing it out. With those 7 players leaving, Brohm will have plenty of room to add at least 20+ players once again!

I’d like to see Brohm add some actual quality players rather than adding more mediocre low 3 star players and 2 star players just to fill out the class!

but as I’ve said many times before great recruiting is dependent on winning. Winning creates success!

as for other prime recruits there is that RB who had offers from Florida and FSU! And both of those schools found a different RB as their first choice leaving him on the outside looking for other alternatives!

While I do agree with you, Iowa/Northwestern make a living getting solid 3 star players. Sometimes the high 3 stars are perfect as they're good and sometimes come with less baggage.

Our team wasn't bad before injuries where we had to dig for depth players. We lack depth. That is where recruiting comes into play. Always need to have that next man up mentality.

All transfers will be immediately eligible so any transfers are fair game now. Don’t have to rely on grad transfers for immediate help
Transfers seem to be unhappy for a reason. They were not good enough to crack the starting lineup or were boneheads making mistakes. Either way, pass on them unless they were exceptional with college game film and want to play at Purdue. The Iowa transfer is an example.

Transfers seem to be unhappy for a reason. They were not good enough to crack the starting lineup or were boneheads making mistakes. Either way, pass on them unless they were exceptional with college game film and want to play at Purdue. The Iowa transfer is an example.
Any IllWhini recruits we will try to poach?

Reactions: ChuckJr
I’m tired of Purdue never having depth! Other teams have just as many players and have plenty of depth! We could have depth as well if our older players were not always encouraged to leave so we can recruit more players. At some point in time we need to start keeping those experienced players even if they are only mediocre and don’t start. Good teams build depth through a combination of young and old players! Every year for the past decade all I ever here about is our lack of depth. When I look at our roster I see at least 4-( players at every position! We have plenty of depth. We just never develop those players! If you don’t start, you’re a forgotten player!

Reactions: oraclee#22
I look at IU as a prime example. They lost their starting guard/tackle Cronk last year, and found a replacement so good that Cronk lost his starting job and transferred to another school. It would be awesome if Purdue had that kind of depth!

Reactions: Brya31
While I do agree with you, Iowa/Northwestern make a living getting solid 3 star players. Sometimes the high 3 stars are perfect as they're good and sometimes come with less baggage.

Our team wasn't bad before injuries where we had to dig for depth players. We lack depth. That is where recruiting comes into play. Always need to have that next man up mentality.
you develop depth by recruiting not so much by tranfers.

Reactions: bonefish1 and DAG10

This. I commented with something similar in another thread. Very rarely do transfers (not grad transfers) pan out.

This. I commented with something similar in another thread. Very rarely do transfers (not grad transfers) pan out.
I make two big exceptions to this.
(1) A kid who was under recruited out of HS and then blossomed at a lower level school and wants a chance on a bigger stage.
(2) Coaching changes

I recall that 4/5 star WR that originally signed with ND. and then they dropped him. he played for some other team, maybe a JUCO. we then we signed him. he had tremendous talent. but was a total bust.

We've had a few JUCOs that were good, but very few transfers that panned out. the best one in recent years was that grad transfer from WKU that was a linebacker in brohm's first year - not the one who was the son of our DC, but the other one.

Overall, I agree that Brohm will be active in the transfer portal. He has a solid core of talent that needs to be supplemented in a few positions of need. This offseason will have a surplus of college talent from the Covid exemptions, so theoretically Brohm has an optimal situation in getting impact players and quality depth from those looking for immediate opportunities.

Defensive line needs attention, and a better pass rush would be nice. The secondary and linebackers could also use more talent and depth.

Although it may not feel like it, there are fewer holes to fill than a couple of years ago on offense. Running back needs depth. Interior offensive line could use another senior. It will be interesting what happens with Hermanns and Long, but Purdue has enough talent to replace them on paper. Obviously, tackle could use some depth too, especially if both of these seniors leave. I kinda hope Long stays, but gets jumped by the other tackles in spring. I think that would be a good sign for next year.

QB competition will be interesting. This will be the first year Alaimo will compete for the starting job, since he didn't enroll early last year.

For OL, Craig was out after Iowa. I think Bramel has been out since Illinois. So, my best guess is the two-deep for next year is looking something like:

RT RS-JR Bramel / RS-SR Long / RS-FR Fox
RG RS-SO Holstege / RS-SR Washington
C RS-FR Hartwig / RS-SR Garvin
LG RS-SO Craig /RS-SO Jornigan
LT RS-JR Miller / RS-JR McKenna ? / RS-FR Fox

Other notable players:
RS-SR Stickford: played in 10 games and started 8 in 2019 but didn't seem to play a single snap in 2020. I don't know if he was injured or what, but I think most everyone would have thought he would have at least participated in one game this year.
RS-SR Beach: Not on the roster for 2020. He is still dealing with a back injury and could be done for his career at Purdue.
RS-FR Bycznski: 1 game in 2020
RS-FR Monnot III: 0 games in 2020
RS-FR Kaltenberger: 0 games in 2020

I think success in 2021 looks like Purdue scoring 34+ ppg, better red zone offense, limiting special teams miscues, and hopefully holding opponents to around 29-30 ppg (my expectations are low for the defense haha). Run game was better this year but was inconsistent. I would like to see 150+ rushing ypg and more production from both the slot WR and TE. Purdue's offense is best when defenses can't cheat against its best options.

I think next year will still feel like a work in progress in several areas, but Purdue should be good enough on paper to go to a bowl game to build some momentum for 2022. The home opener against Oregon State will be huge. The Big Ten West is improving along with Purdue, so it's a bit of a moving target. I think next year could be anywhere from 3-9 to 8-4 with a lot of close games. The offensive line needs to be a strength, which will open up the playbook.

Not an easy schedule with few games where Purdue will be favored in preseason. Purdue's home record will determine the 2021 season.

Biggest questions for me:
1. How well does Purdue replace Barnes and Neal?
2. How does Purdue generate a better pass rush with the current roster?
3. Defensive coaching, scheme, development, and transfers... any chance for improvement anywhere?
4. QB competition, and will we see continued improvement from this position?
5. Purdue's RS-JR OL: Miller, Bramel, and McKenna. Can they play like upperclass Big Ten linemen?
6. Who will emerge as a playmaker outside of Bell, Wright, Horvath, and Doerue?

Reactions: krf3632
I make two big exceptions to this.
(1) A kid who was under recruited out of HS and then blossomed at a lower level school and wants a chance on a bigger stage.
(2) Coaching changes

Not saying ur wrong by any stretch, but can you name a few success stories which fit ur #1 and #2? I can't think of any...maybe Etling and Dylan Dawkins.

Not saying ur wrong by any stretch, but can you name a few success stories which fit ur #1 and #2? I can't think of any...maybe Etling and Dylan Dawkins.
McCollum, Steinmetz, Mahoungou, Okonye, Shane Evans some recent Purdue examples. Many other examples across college football.

Reactions: BoilerData
McCollum, Steinmetz, Mahoungou, Okonye, Shane Evans some recent Purdue examples. Many other examples across college football.

As an aside, I did a quick search on players who transferred away from Purdue last year to see how things were going.

DB Major seems to be one of a few players to be a contributor with his new team at 2-6 Middle Tennessee. He participated in 8 games with 24 total tackles and 2 passes defended.
OLB Jack Smith had 9 total tackles and 1 sack for Campbell in 3 games. They only played 4 games this year and were 0-4. He is only a sophomore, so he should continue to get opportunities.

CB Hamilton, Now plays for Eastern Illinois as a WR and is still on the active roster. They are playing their games in the spring.
WR Bonnor, Now plays for Elon and is still on the active roster. They are playing their games in the spring.

LB Cornel Jones was dismissed from Florida State in June, despite being a walk-on.
CB Rucker opted out from North Texas after a couple of games.
TE Pittman has 2 catches for 20yds with a 1-6 Temple team.
DE Reviere, Chattanooga didn't really play this year.
CB Perkins, Hampton didn't play this year due to Covid but Perkins wasn't on the 2020 roster.

As an aside, I did a quick search on players who transferred away from Purdue last year to see how things were going.

DB Major seems to be one of a few players to be a contributor with his new team at 2-6 Middle Tennessee. He participated in 8 games with 24 total tackles and 2 passes defended.
OLB Jack Smith had 9 total tackles and 1 sack for Campbell in 3 games. They only played 4 games this year and were 0-4. He is only a sophomore, so he should continue to get opportunities.

CB Hamilton, Now plays for Eastern Illinois as a WR and is still on the active roster. They are playing their games in the spring.
WR Bonnor, Now plays for Elon and is still on the active roster. They are playing their games in the spring.

LB Cornel Jones was dismissed from Florida State in June, despite being a walk-on.
CB Perkins, Hampton didn't play this year due to Covid but Perkins wasn't on the 2020 roster.
I think Purdue misses Major. He wasn't afraid to make a tough tackle on bigger guys in run support.

Reactions: Dandelion1972
Take a solid Grad Transfer over portal transfer most every time. These are motivated young men 1 or more years older, stronger and more determined what they want to achieve be it school of next level. Can’t say the same for a “Looper” in the portal.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?

Yeah. Im going to stick by that transfers (not grad, not JC) rarely make a splash at the D1 level, even more so in Power 5. Maybe provide depth, but not much more than that.

Reactions: bonefish1

Pretty sure everyone u just listed was either jC transfer or a grad transfer. I and the other poster(s) were talking about transfers ie excluding JC and grad transfers (many good players in those 2 groups no doubt)

Pretty sure everyone u just listed was either jC transfer or a grad transfer. I and the other poster(s) were talking about transfers ie excluding JC and grad transfers (many good players in those 2 groups no doubt)
If they all get immediate eligibility I don’t see much distinction between a grad transfer and an underclassman who is choosing to transfer for the same reasons. I’m more concerned about red flags like a transfer who was down on a depth chart.

Reactions: JRowdy20
Well, tomorrow is early Signing Day. Anyone hearing any possible surprises, positive or negative, like maybe getting RB Jaylin White?

Mbow looking good for Purdue based on a recent CB update from a Kansas analyst.

It looks like Mbow signed this morning. Nice pickup!

I think so too, but ASU dumped him and Kevin Mawae was his primary recruiter there. I know ex-players aren't always very good at talent eval but when a HoFer decides to pass I at least pay attention to that.

I think that's still the most likely scenario that Purdue gets Yanni and Mbow. I feel a little less confident about it than I did a couple of weeks ago though. I think it was good to see Hartwig play this year to back up their pitch that if players show enough in practice, then they will play... regardless of position.

Kansas is pushing pretty hard for Mbow, but I have to think Purdue is making him a top priority too. Kansas is actually recruiting pretty well this year, considering they went 0-9 in a weaker conference. Yikes! They also have less competition on the roster for offensive line. However, Mbow already has a frame that matches or exceeds anything on the roster right now at 6-6 305lbs, so he should feel good about his opportunities at Purdue.

I don't know about Yanni, so I default to consensus. Purdue is the most likely but still not certain.

Kind of a sad state of affairs when your toughest competition for a football recruit is Kansas......

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I think so too, but ASU dumped him and Kevin Mawae was his primary recruiter there. I know ex-players aren't always very good at talent eval but when a HoFer decides to pass I at least pay attention to that.
I agree this causes concerns when other schools decide to say no, but he still looks a lot better than the other linemen we are recruiting. This begs the question why we are not going after the same one men ASU is going after. Wasn’t he also previously committed to another school as well? As I said, he’s still better than our other targets.

Yanni is much the same way. There are many unknowns as part of the process. UW just received a late commitment from a linebacker from Minnesota. He was their 4th linebacker recruit. One could take that as they chose him over Yanni. Or one could take that as Yanni informed him he was no longer interested and they went with the other LB. to fill the void.

unfortunately we as fans don’t see or know the entire story or see the entire process. And Brohm is never very forthcoming! That leads to speculation which is not always a good thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT