ADVERTISEMENT

We redshirted all but 3 freshmen. That is awesome.

Is it? I rather have had more players actively involved in playing, especially if they had half the talent of Rondale Moore. Then there would be the possibility of less bad surprises at the beginning of next season and possibly a better beginning record.

Is it? I rather have had more players actively involved in playing, especially if they had half the talent of Rondale Moore. Then there would be the possibility of less bad surprises at the beginning of next season and possibly a better beginning record.
I can't remember who it was, maybe Dantonio or someone years back who used the analogy that each true freshman you have to play big minutes will equal a loss. Idea being, the less young guys you have to play, more games you are likely to win. It makes sense in theory. A lot of those top teams when you look at depth charts you see a lit of "RS"

That will pay even more dividends 3-4 years from now. Didn't realize it was that few who played. Now 15 extra practices to evaluate and develop those guys.

I have a question about the alleged magic of "15 bowl practices" that is somehow supposed to appear . How does these practices matter so much more than practices during the season?

I have a question about the alleged magic of "15 bowl practices" that is somehow supposed to appear . How does these practices matter so much more than practices during the season?
Because they’ll spend far more time with the depth/young guys during the bowl practices than they do during the regular season.

During the season, they have to focus solely on the coming game. You don’t need 15 practices to implement a game plan for the bowl game. So they’ll rest and rehab the starters for the first half of the bowl prep. Then only in the last week or so before the bowl game will they ramp up the starters. GREAT time for the coaches to work with all the redshirts and other guys who didn’t get many reps during the season.

It’s huge!

From what I understand, basically the first 9 or 10 of 15 on campus are used largely to give young guys reps. That is like 3 weeks of in-season practice. The last 5-6 are game prep for the Bowl like a normal game week.

From what I understand, basically the first 9 or 10 of 15 on campus are used largely to give young guys reps. That is like 3 weeks of in-season practice. The last 5-6 are game prep for the Bowl like a normal game week.
As important, Bowl teams get the 20 practices and teams like IU (not playing in a bowl . . . Again!) do not . . . The rich get richer!!

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Coaches actively work to give younger players more reps during bowl prep. It's been that way for years.

Not big enough at LB, Def Line and Off Line it sounded like early in the year. Lots of talent/athleticism but they needed to get bigger. The guys we used o the line were still too small except Neal

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
So we redshirted 21 of 24 freshmen? What is more impressive is I think we were able to redshirt a handful of upperclassmen who we may want to keep around for an extra year. I know Dellinger is the obvious one but don’t recall seeing much of Catlett, Criddle, or Larry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT