ADVERTISEMENT

We dodged a bullet on Catchings

Catchings didn’t need Purdue to get his NIL money. Pack made his NIL money without help from Miami. Arch Manning and Clark made their NIL contracts outside of their university. Even Edey made some NIL. Deals without needing Purdue’s help. Athletes can make their own deals! Catchings can go anywhere and still make the same NIL. Deals. All he needs is a quasi agent/handler.
Pack got his money from a Miami booster and it was given with a 2 year agreement to play at Miami. Up until now schools can’t negotiate for players so it ilea’s all the same. Edeys NIL was negotiated as part of him coming back. Your comment is 100% incorrect the NIL will be based on what school you go to regardless of whether it is through the collective, school, or individual. Exceptions of course are autograph sessions, commercials, etc but those are Pennie’s on what they are getting for committing to schools.

Listening to Brian, it sounded like Catchings would have to beat out Heide, tkr and Miles If he wanted a starting role. Rather than starting from day 1. And Painter would play him at the position he wanted him to play which not have been the position he wanted to play.

Brian also pointed to Jacobson’s recent success. Tkr is going to get his minutes. Although, that could be a lot more at the 4 than the 5.

Brian also mentioned Catchings might start out as a backup and not starter. It just seems like Catchings has a lot of talent but was not a good fit for Purdue.

I still see Catchings as a 3. Can anybody else with knowledge of Painter’s offense see Painter starting a true forward at the three instead of another guard. I just don’t see Painter changing his 3 guard offense no matter how talented Catchings may be. I believe Catchings realized the same thing. If he wanted to start at the three, it wasn’t going to be at Purdue.
Painter made Hummel and Vincent edwards 3’s based on his team, so yes he would and has done it.

It wasn’t the “fit” it was just that he wouldn’t be ready to start.

Reactions: BBG
Wow, that Brian guy sounds a lot like someone we know. tKR at the 4? Catchings at the 3? Hmmm who said that 4 weeks ago? I still believe Jacobson’s showing at the under 19 tournament had a factor in catching leaving. With Jacobson doing so well at center, tkr would be at the 4, leaving catchings either backing up tkr or starting at the three. And painter usually starts a guard at the three rather than a forward.

If you put your eyes in Catchings perspective it sure did not look like he would be given a chance to shine or showcase his talents at Purdue. If he wanted to start at the 3, Purdue had the wrong offense to do so.

It sure appears basketball is his #1 priority and not an education. I’m confident he will find some place that will allow him to start and be a star. Purdue with Painter coaching was not that place.

I don’t think he was selfish or making demands of starting. I just believe he wanted to play the 3 and that wasn’t going to happen at Purdue. And after talking to Painter he realized that and made a decision.

It’s kind of obvious he choose Purdue to play basketball and not to earn a degree. He’ll land on his feet somewhere. He can probably earn more nil money going to a college. However, he will have to find a school willing to make him a star at the position he wants to play. And, he will have a much faster path to the nba playing in one of the developmental leagues. That would be my projection
TKR played mostly at the 4 last year it wasn’t hard to figure out he might be putting TKR at the 4 lol. He also said in the interview Heide could start at 4. It’s all speculation Jacobsen hasn’t even practiced with us yet. All he said in the intevriew is what all of us have speculated could be possicle on this board.

Where have you ever seen catchings say he wanted to play the 3? You keep saying this and it’s just total fabrication. Look at the 4s in the nba finals it’s jayson Tatum and PJ Washington and the timberwolves had a guy that was 6-8 185 starting at the 4, virtually the same as catchings. Your the only guy on this board that is obsessed with the 3 vs 4… and I’m pretty sure it was not a factor in catchings opting out.

Wow, that Brian guy sounds a lot like someone we know. tKR at the 4? Catchings at the 3? Hmmm who said that 4 weeks ago? I still believe Jacobson’s showing at the under 19 tournament had a factor in catching leaving. With Jacobson doing so well at center, tkr would be at the 4, leaving catchings either backing up tkr or starting at the three. And painter usually starts a guard at the three rather than a forward.

If you put your eyes in Catchings perspective it sure did not look like he would be given a chance to shine or showcase his talents at Purdue. If he wanted to start at the 3, Purdue had the wrong offense to do so.

It sure appears basketball is his #1 priority and not an education. I’m confident he will find some place that will allow him to start and be a star. Purdue with Painter coaching was not that place.

I don’t think he was selfish or making demands of starting. I just believe he wanted to play the 3 and that wasn’t going to happen at Purdue. And after talking to Painter he realized that and made a decision.

It’s kind of obvious he choose Purdue to play basketball and not to earn a degree. He’ll land on his feet somewhere. He can probably earn more nil money going to a college. However, he will have to find a school willing to make him a star at the position he wants to play. And, he will have a much faster path to the nba playing in one of the developmental leagues. That would be my projection.
So yours was not an original thought?

What makes Catchings unique and his upside (plus) is his versatility to play multiple positions…the downside (negative) of Catchings is his desire to be a one and done. Whether he can be a one and done is still to be determined…

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck
What makes Catchings unique and his upside (plus) is his versatility to play multiple positions…the downside (negative) of Catchings is his desire to be a one and done. Whether he can be a one and done is still to be determined…
There was more downside than being a one and done, which in and of itself isn't a downside.

Reactions: BBG and pboiler18
I think Colvin has better handles then you’re giving him credit for. I think we see full Myles Colvin on the court this year and he will display what he’s capable of. I think he played a team role last year that didn’t include being a top scorer and him seeking his own shots. Can’t wait to see what these guys bring this year and how they mesh together when it all unfolds.
In the NC game vs UConn, we needed some guys to find some shots other than Edey. No one was able to do that. Granted, UConn is an elite defensive team with great perimeter defenders but we didn't have anyone creating off the dribble to either get into the paint or get separation for open jumpers.

Colvin wasn’t asked to do that last year, but he can get to the hole just fine. Jaden had to do all that he did his Frosh year cuz the team was no where near as good as last year.

But if that’s your opinion, that’s fine. But no offense, your opinion on players doesn’t have the best track record.
Based on what I saw, Colvin never displayed a dribble drive game last year. Maybe he's got it in his bag, but he didn't show it last year. So far, he's very much been a catch n shoot type.

In the NC game vs UConn, we needed some guys to find some shots other than Edey. No one was able to do that. Granted, UConn is an elite defensive team with great perimeter defenders but we didn't have anyone creating off the dribble to either get into the paint or get separation for open jumpers.
That game was the only game where he had less than 13 turnovers and lost. We hit a few more looks that we had and get a few more stops (UConn finished some crazy shots at the rim), it’s a different game.

Pack got his money from a Miami booster and it was given with a 2 year agreement to play at Miami. Up until now schools can’t negotiate for players so it ilea’s all the same. Edeys NIL was negotiated as part of him coming back. Your comment is 100% incorrect the NIL will be based on what school you go to regardless of whether it is through the collective, school, or individual. Exceptions of course are autograph sessions, commercials, etc but those are Pennie’s on what they are getting for committing to schools.
My comment was the players made their own deals! It wasn’t the school that made their deals for them! Pack and Edey and Clark had their handlers make their deals for them , not their respective schools. And the money they received was not from the school or the school’s collective.

If a player like Catchings wants to make his own NIL deal, there is nothing stopping him from doing so. Admittedly some NIL deals are made if a player goes to a certain school. But that is between the player and the entity giving him the money.

I’ll say it again. If Catchings wants NIL money, he doesn’t need to go to Purdue to get it. And he doesn’t have to depend on Purdue to get it for him.

Some of you don’t understand the NIL concept. An athlete with the proper handler/agent can get as much NIL money as they want and they don’t really need any school to get that money for them. They are free to make their own deals!

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
So yours was not an original thought?
My thoughts were posted on this board 1-2 weeks before Brian made his in his podcast! I’d call the person who said it first the one who had the original thought, wouldn’t you?

I’ve seen my exact words about the Milwaukee Bucks copied and pasted by the main reporter in the Milwaukee Journal. I’ve also seen my insight and thoughts about Hazell and his recruits posted 2-3 years after I posted!

Brian is just confirming what I had previously posted. You guys all believe Brian. , but when I said the exact same thoughts, you said I was full of crap for speculating the same ideas.

A simple question. Who made Pack’s NIL? Pack or the University of Miami? My belief is the deal was made between Pack and that financial guy. Yes, the deal stipulated that In order to receive the money, Pack had to play for Miami. But it was Pack and his handlers that made the deal. The univ of Miami didn’t just give Pack a check upon his arrival. That check came directly from the guy he made the deal with.

So much irony coming from you with this single statement. Hell half the time your posts "argue" with your own earlier posts.
Glad I gave you something to read and post about. Clearly you are either bored or have nothing of your own to add.

Glad I gave you something to read and post about. Clearly you are either bored or have nothing of your own to add.
Mostly bored and with how easily it is to rile you up, it's entertaining at least. Besides there is nothing to add to your vaporware posts as you rarely say anything in your text wall postings.

My comment was the players made their own deals! It wasn’t the school that made their deals for them! Pack and Edey and Clark had their handlers make their deals for them , not their respective schools. And the money they received was not from the school or the school’s collective.

If a player like Catchings wants to make his own NIL deal, there is nothing stopping him from doing so. Admittedly some NIL deals are made if a player goes to a certain school. But that is between the player and the entity giving him the money.

I’ll say it again. If Catchings wants NIL money, he doesn’t need to go to Purdue to get it. And he doesn’t have to depend on Purdue to get it for him.

Some of you don’t understand the NIL concept. An athlete with the proper handler/agent can get as much NIL money as they want and they don’t really need any school to get that money for them. They are free to make their own deals!
If you don't think schools are facilitating NIL deals, you are uber naive.

That game was the only game where he had less than 13 turnovers and lost. We hit a few more looks that we had and get a few more stops (UConn finished some crazy shots at the rim), it’s a different game.
Nah, UCONN was head and shoulders above everyone, including us. That we lost by the same win by at least what was 13 pts margin everyone else did speaks to that.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
My thoughts were posted on this board 1-2 weeks before Brian made his in his podcast! I’d call the person who said it first the one who had the original thought, wouldn’t you?

I’ve seen my exact words about the Milwaukee Bucks copied and pasted by the main reporter in the Milwaukee Journal. I’ve also seen my insight and thoughts about Hazell and his recruits posted 2-3 years after I posted!

Brian is just confirming what I had previously posted. You guys all believe Brian. , but when I said the exact same thoughts, you said I was full of crap for speculating the same ideas.
Many, many people here said Catchings could play the 2, 3, or 4 from the moment he appeared as a recruit on this board. You have a pathetically sad life if you think you want credit thinking you were the first and were the only one courageous enough to state it. Pathetically sad.

Nah, UCONN was head and shoulders above everyone, including us. That we lost by the same win by at least what was 13 pts margin everyone else did speaks to that.
Oh they absolutely were. And in a 3,5 or 7 game series they win every time. We just needed to play 1 game and win…which I’m saying that was the only game all year where we had less than 13 turnovers and lost. Shot poorly (kudos to UConn’s strategy) as well.

UConn was the best team in the land and we were second. They had two potential top 5 lotto picks, along with some great pieces and length at every position. Hats off to them to executing a gameplan in less than 2 days against the most dominant player we’ve seen since Shaq.

Packs deal was from a Miami booster. He wasn’t going to give the money to him unless he went to Miami and no one else was going to match it. And he got slapped on wrist for bit. You clearly don’t understand NIL if you think the school is not the factor. Edey could have made a lot more money at other schools. But he chose to stay at Purdue not because it paid the most. Probably the same with Clark.

Colvin wasn’t asked to do that last year, but he can get to the hole just fine. Jaden had to do all that he did his Frosh year cuz the team was no where near as good as last year.

But if that’s your opinion, that’s fine. But no offense, your opinion on players doesn’t have the best track record.
DP....I have a serious question and an honest one. Why is it you believe Colvin will be so special? What have you seen that guarantee's that he starts this year? What does he have that will allow him to advance that much over last season when he was a spot reliever and couldn't oust any of the starters?

I hope I'm wrong and that he's what you think he'll be, but my guess is that a couple of the new kids will beat him out because they'll work harder, be basketball smarter, and play better defense. And he can't beat out Smith or Loyer, nor will he beat out TKR nor Furst, or whomever is the fifth starter, whether that be or Jacobson or Berg.

JMHO based on the sum of the team.

DP....I have a serious question and an honest one. Why is it you believe Colvin will be so special? What have you seen that guarantee's that he starts this year? What does he have that will allow him to advance that much over last season when he was a spot reliever and couldn't oust any of the starters?

I hope I'm wrong and that he's what you think he'll be, but my guess is that a couple of the new kids will beat him out because they'll work harder, be basketball smarter, and play better defense. And he can't beat out Smith or Loyer, nor will he beat out TKR nor Furst, or whomever is the fifth starter, whether that be or Jacobson or Berg.

The only player you mentioned Colvin would have to beat out was Loyer.

Colvin doesn't play TKRs, Furst or Smith's position.

Other than that, I agree with your premise. Still has things to prove. But we don't know he won't. Glad to hear he's putting in the work.

In no particular order of reasons:

1. Myles will see time at the 2 and 3. Not sure if he will start. Never said he’d start, but wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t. I can see him being our sixth man with 20-25 min off the bench.

2. Myles came in to a team that was very experienced. So he wasn’t going to ever start over Loyer or Lance. He came from a high school that wasn’t that great and he didn’t play the best competition in aau. So it was expected he’d be behind with defense, as so many freshman are.

3. He is super young for his class (I believe he re-classed?) and his body is just now starting to fill out. He’s grown an inch and added 10 lbs of muscle already.

4. Prior to his body getting up to D1 level, his athleticism was/is ELITE. Kid can do whatever dunk you can think of and floats in the air. That kind of athleticism he has obviously can’t be taught and is definitely due to his family’s dna. It’s still to be seen how quick he is, not Ivey like—not many are, but I am looking forward to seeing him use that gift after having a whole offseason to train.

5. He has one of the smoothest jumpers around and shot 41% from 3 as a Frosh. He has the mindset of Carsen Edwards as a scorer and a DGAF if the last one went in or not.

6. He has shown he can score from 3 and at the rim, but I’m willing to guess with the sophomore jump that’s expected after being in a system for a year, he will be able to get whatever shot he wants and will be good from mid range, just like he was able to score at all 3 levels in high school.

7. Painter believes in him. He played him earlier in the year in Maui and in Canada vs bama. He then had to trust the process as Myles had to navigate through a long season and also learn the defensive schemes and also, how to play with edey. Once those things clicked, we all saw the progression of Myles on both sides of the ball (I know you don’t believe that). So much so, painter played him as our 8th man through the whole last month and half of the season.

8. He wants to be great and is always putting in work. Example, he was super pissed off they lost and was in the gym the next day after the NC. So not sure why you think the freshman will outwork him, but him and his dad have a plan, and that’s to get to the nba, so Myles for damn sure is making sure he is working his ass off. So, I don’t see how a freshman takes his mins. Harris and cox will see time at the 1. Harris will help fill time at the 2 and 3 too, but his role is different than Myles.

9. If he had come into a situation like Jaden, Carsen, Smith or Loyer where Purdue wasn’t established/guys that weren’t that good at the position he plays, he would have played as much as those guys. He didn’t play that much this last year cuz painter didn’t have to play him.

10. If any of the Frosh get more time than him at the 2 or 3 that means they’re going to be really good.

In no particular order of reasons:

1. Myles will see time at the 2 and 3. Not sure if he will start. Never said he’d start, but wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t. I can see him being our sixth man with 20-25 min off the bench.

2. Myles came in to a team that was very experienced. So he wasn’t going to ever start over Loyer or Lance. He came from a high school that wasn’t that great and he didn’t play the best competition in aau. So it was expected he’d be behind with defense, as so many freshman are.

3. He is super young for his class (I believe he re-classed?) and his body is just now starting to fill out. He’s grown an inch and added 10 lbs of muscle already.

4. Prior to his body getting up to D1 level, his athleticism was/is ELITE. Kid can do whatever dunk you can think of and floats in the air. That kind of athleticism he has obviously can’t be taught and is definitely due to his family’s dna. It’s still to be seen how quick he is, not Ivey like—not many are, but I am looking forward to seeing him use that gift after having a whole offseason to train.

5. He has one of the smoothest jumpers around and shot 41% from 3 as a Frosh. He has the mindset of Carsen Edwards as a scorer and a DGAF if the last one went in or not.

6. He has shown he can score from 3 and at the rim, but I’m willing to guess with the sophomore jump that’s expected after being in a system for a year, he will be able to get whatever shot he wants and will be good from mid range, just like he was able to score at all 3 levels in high school.

7. Painter believes in him. He played him earlier in the year in Maui and in Canada vs bama. He then had to trust the process as Myles had to navigate through a long season and also learn the defensive schemes and also, how to play with edey. Once those things clicked, we all saw the progression of Myles on both sides of the ball (I know you don’t believe that). So much so, painter played him as our 8th man through the whole last month and half of the season.

8. He wants to be great and is always putting in work. Example, he was super pissed off they lost and was in the gym the next day after the NC. So not sure why you think the freshman will outwork him, but him and his dad have a plan, and that’s to get to the nba, so Myles for damn sure is making sure he is working his ass off. So, I don’t see how a freshman takes his mins. Harris and cox will see time at the 1. Harris will help fill time at the 2 and 3 too, but his role is different than Myles.

9. If he had come into a situation like Jaden, Carsen, Smith or Loyer where Purdue wasn’t established/guys that weren’t that good at the position he plays, he would have played as much as those guys. He didn’t play that much this last year cuz painter didn’t have to play him.

10. If any of the Frosh get more time than him at the 2 or 3 that means they’re going to be really good.
Sarcastic Night GIF

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Bigger issue is he's severely undersized and under developed physically for someone that wants to be one and done.
There's a reason that 'most' one and dones look like grown men at 19.
For most, growing takes time.
And many many hours in the weight room and eating right.
Very few qualify on talent AND physicality at 19.
Like KC.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
Based on what I saw, Colvin never displayed a dribble drive game last year. Maybe he's got it in his bag, but he didn't show it last year. So far, he's very much been a catch n shoot type.
Myles interview talking about working more on his ball handling and mid range pull up off the dribble. Acknowledged he didn’t do it much last year cuz…Zach

I know it’s just talk, but he knows he needs to work on it, but Myles talks about improving his defense. Also was down in Miami working out with all the guys that are going to the draft and going through the pre draft workouts with them:

I think he is going to be able to back it up this year.

I know it’s just talk, but he knows he needs to work on it, but Myles talks about improving his defense. Also was down in Miami working out with all the guys that are going to the draft and going through the pre draft workouts with them:

I think he is going to be able to back it up this year.
Agree. A young man with a desire to be better. I don't see any immaturity issues with him as some have stated (mostly IU fans). I hope this kid shuts all of the naysayers up and becomes that typical Colvin we love.

If you meant freshman Colvin vs Catchings then yeah agreed. But if it’s at this point, I would like to see him vs Colvin…especially In the Purdue system at this point. I think it’d be a lot closer than you think.

While I really wish Catchings was playing for us and acknowledge he’s really good, I don’t think he was ever going to play 30 min a game…not with the pieces we had returning. If he were a top 10-15 Frosh, yeah, I’d agree. But we just saw a 5 star mbgako struggle for most of his Frosh season, so I’d pump the brakes on Catchings being that great all year. It’s been very tough on freshman the last few years to have a huge impact for their team. I think having the last year of 24-26 year olds (due to Covid year) would also add to the challenge for him. He would have also needed to actually play defense and that may have taken some time for him to figure it out…I know Ivey never really did figure out the Purdue way and he was still a top 5 pick, but that bit is a bit in the end.

I think if Catchings was to stay his 2nd year, he would have been reeaaallllly good for us and we would have been one of the early faves to win it all.
Agreed, maybe a 20 minute a night guy, on this team I highly doubt 30
Minutes.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT