ADVERTISEMENT

We are going to have to hit the Transfer Portal hard

Did the Milton Wright ship sail a long time ago or is there a chance he can get eligible and play for the Boilers next year? He could really help this team if they don’t end up finding a portal WR.

Has anyone heard if Tracey or King Doerue is coming back? I know King got hurt and might of stepped away from the team but not totally sure. And for Tracey I know he has a extra year to use but haven’t heard. I think Tracey can help this team if used the right way.

Doerue is done. I don't think he's coming back.

Last I heard about Wright was that he was aiming for the NFL. I doubt he's coming back. And if he did choose to play college ball, I doubt it would be at Purdue.

I think Tracy has already stated he's coming back...could be wrong about that.

Reactions: *Shockerrr*
There are many players still in the portal. This is the first test and hurdle for our new coach. Do we fill our vacancies with all the 4 stars looking for a new home? Or do we bring in a bunch of walk-ons and hope we get lucky. At the moment I’m kind of disappointed with who we have signed vs what is available in the portal.

There are many players still in the portal. This is the first test and hurdle for our new coach. Do we fill our vacancies with all the 4 stars looking for a new home? Or do we bring in a bunch of walk-ons and hope we get lucky. At the moment I’m kind of disappointed with who we have signed vs what is available in the portal.
There is still Spring as well.

I suspect they need to assess the team before just plugging holes with very little data.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
The data is there. Other teams have new coaches. They don’t wait until Spring or Summer before assessing data. That’s what Hazell did! And you will not believe the amount of posters that kept saying, give the guy a break, we haven’t played a down yet! And then the posters said the cupboard was left bare. And then they said we need 4 recruiting classes to evaluate.

As a head coach, you can’t wait until spring or summer to get the ball rolling and evaluate what you have and what you need. You must lay the foundation in. dece and January. You must get the players enrolled in school if they are going to participate in spring.

With Brohm you could see it from day 1. He spent countless hours his first week finding jucos, transfers, and high school recruits to fill holes. He got rid of the dead weight. He set the foundation and added to it. He knew what he wanted and he went for it. And you can see him doing the exact same thing at Louisville. He signed all their good commitments, he brought players he recruited with him and he added transfers all before the semester started! Like Walters, he didn’t have much time. But he didn’t wait until Spring to evaluate what he’s got.

Brohm and Walters are in different situations. Brohm was hired immediately, Louisville didn’t conduct a coaching search. Brohm was the head coach at Purdue so of course a few kids are going to switch to his new school. Brohm didn’t have to go out and hire an entire staff.
Walters has hired an entire staff that looks like a good one on paper. He confirmed commitments and signed kids that didn’t commit to play for him as well as added a solid DT. He then went out and got one of the top transfer qb, a redshirt freshman who had offers from teams like Alabama, a DT that was a starter in the SEC, and an OL with two years of starting experience at a position we needed filled. I’d say he’s off to a pretty solid start.

Brohm and Walters are in different situations. Brohm was hired immediately, Louisville didn’t conduct a coaching search. Brohm was the head coach at Purdue so of course a few kids are going to switch to his new school. Brohm didn’t have to go out and hire an entire staff.
Walters has hired an entire staff that looks like a good one on paper. He confirmed commitments and signed kids that didn’t commit to play for him as well as added a solid DT. He then went out and got one of the top transfer qb, a redshirt freshman who had offers from teams like Alabama, a DT that was a starter in the SEC, and an OL with two years of starting experience at a position we needed filled. I’d say he’s off to a pretty solid start.
A solid start but so are Nebraska and UW who also just hired new coaches. Who would you say has done a better job?

A solid start but so are Nebraska and UW who also just hired new coaches. Who would you say has done a better job?
Nebraska: 26th rated recruiting class. One 4* transfer and five 3*

Wisconsin: 60th ranked recruiting class. One 4* transfer and four 3*

Purdue: 66th ranked recruiting class. One 4* transfer and three 3* plus retained one 4* Two of those 3* were borderline 4*.

Nebraska had 23 recruits including their two highest who are from Lincoln, NE while Purdue and Wisconsin had 15 and 14 respectively.

Looking at that info I’d say that they’ve all performed similarly so far this offseason aside from Nebraska having a much larger recruiting class. You could say they’ve done slightly better than us however take into account that Wisconsin and Nebraska had head coaches no later than November 28 while Walters was hired December 13, days before signing day. He did a comparable job to those two coaches, with much less time, while assembling a very good looking staff.

I don’t think anyone could’ve done a much better job than what Walters did. And I’m sure there will be plenty of good players who graduate in the spring and/or decide to transfer for other reasons that our staff can target.

the data and ratings from this site tell a different story. it gives Nebraska an overall rating of 30 and a transfer rating of 25. it gives UW an overall rating of 46 and a transfer rating of 26. it gives purdue an overall rating of 71 and a transfer rating of 59.

I'll ask bluntly, who is a person supposed to believe? a purdue fan? or a national recruiting service web site? it also ranked Purdue's class as 13th in the BIG 10 just ahead of IU. the way too early 2023 ratings had Purdue finishing in 6th in the West ahead of Northwestern

Reactions: JohnsyRick
the data and ratings from this site tell a different story. it gives Nebraska an overall rating of 30 and a transfer rating of 25. it gives UW an overall rating of 46 and a transfer rating of 26. it gives purdue an overall rating of 71 and a transfer rating of 59.

I'll ask bluntly, who is a person supposed to believe? a purdue fan? or a national recruiting service web site? it also ranked Purdue's class as 13th in the BIG 10 just ahead of IU. the way too early 2023 ratings had Purdue finishing in 6th in the West ahead of Northwestern

I pulled my recruiting numbers from rivals. You know, the site were on? A national recruiting service. And I got the transfer numbers from 247. We got one less 3* than Wisconsin in the portal and are 33 spots behind in the “rankings”. All that tells me is that the rankings are all but meaningless when it comes to the portal.

Reactions: pboiler18

Walters has had a much shorter timeline. He kept a large percentage of Brohm's recruits and added four solid transfers in positions of need. He brought Brady Allen back after he entered the portal.

I know you're being contrarian on purpose to stir the pot, but Walters has worked MUCH more quickly than Hazell to assemble a good staff and held together a significant number of pieces.

Hazell was admittedly a terrible recruiter. One of his biggest problems was he waited until the Summer to add to his recruiting base. And by that time all the good recruits were gone. He started with a bad year which hurt his recruiting in his second year as elite recruits were not swayed by that myth that immediate playing time is an awesome recruiting incentive. Great recruits want to play for winners rather than immediate playing time.

The portal offers an opportunity for a quick fix, much like the Juco talent used to do. I bring this up now because the main transfer portal is about to close.

Yes, Walters hasn’t been in the job very long. But now is time where he has to take swift action. In my opinion, Recruiting should take a priority over completing his coaching staff.

And yes, I blame BoBO for the timing of the hire. We all knew Brohm was going to leave. BoBO should have had a successor already picked for an immediate hire much like for Keady and Tiller. He should not have needed to form a committee and conduct a search. This would have provided more time for the new coach to form a staff and additional time for recruiting. The new staff should have been in place and coaching the bowl game.

And yes, we got off to a slow start. But I also didn’t see us signing 10 portal transfers last week.

• Love
Reactions: lucky 53
Hazell was admittedly a terrible recruiter. One of his biggest problems was he waited until the Summer to add to his recruiting base. And by that time all the good recruits were gone. He started with a bad year which hurt his recruiting in his second year as elite recruits were not swayed by that myth that immediate playing time is an awesome recruiting incentive. Great recruits want to play for winners rather than immediate playing time.

The portal offers an opportunity for a quick fix, much like the Juco talent used to do. I bring this up now because the main transfer portal is about to close.

Yes, Walters hasn’t been in the job very long. But now is time where he has to take swift action. In my opinion, Recruiting should take a priority over completing his coaching staff.

And yes, I blame BoBO for the timing of the hire. We all knew Brohm was going to leave. BoBO should have had a successor already picked for an immediate hire much like for Keady and Tiller. He should not have needed to form a committee and conduct a search. This would have provided more time for the new coach to form a staff and additional time for recruiting. The new staff should have been in place and coaching the bowl game.

And yes, we got off to a slow start. But I also didn’t see us signing 10 portal transfers last week.
How exactly do you get kids to commit with no coaching staff in place? Should Bobinski have just hired someone sight unseen without doing due diligence to make sure the next coach would be a good fit? Should Walters have posted flyers seeking transfers and taken the first six to satisfy your desire for ten transfers? Maybe Alabama should fire Saban and hire you because it seems like you have all the answers.

Maybe BoBo had a few successors in mind, but when the rubber hit the road they weren’t interested at this time. I kind of think that was the case.

Maybe BoBo had a few successors in mind, but when the rubber hit the road they weren’t interested at this time. I kind of think that was the case.

now looking at a Juco OT that looks on the thin side, isn't there anyone in the portal at OT that's a seasoned player? sheesh

You say Walters wasn’t give much time. My point is BoBO knew Brohm was about to leave. And any good AD would have made preparations for the inevitable. Even Morgan had a successor for Hope before the season was over. Unfortunately that coach turned Morgan down for nc st. That’s how we ended up with Hazell.

And now we have Walters going after a thin juco rather than one of those 4 star ol in the transfer portal. I can see Purdue not signing all of the players in the portal. But I’m not even seeing Purdue making offers and being turned down. Or being a part of a player’s top 5 either.

From the early returns, call me unimpressed.

Alabama doesn’t need to hire me! Auburn already did. Alabama is already doing it right! But maybe Purdue does need me. I’m just trying to point out how a successful team recruits! Even with Brohm, Purdue still didn’t have a top 25 team. And that’s something almost every Big ten team can claim in the past decade. I said almost. To be successful, you need to first recruit and set a foundation.

Next idea is STOP recruiting undersized linemen and wasting a year of their life feeding them supplements trying to build them up to be acceptable! And STOP recruiting the same players MAC teams are recruiting.

It’s pretty simple!

Alabama doesn’t need to hire me! Auburn already did. Alabama is already doing it right! But maybe Purdue does need me. I’m just trying to point out how a successful team recruits! Even with Brohm, Purdue still didn’t have a top 25 team. And that’s something almost every Big ten team can claim in the past decade. I said almost. To be successful, you need to first recruit and set a foundation.

Next idea is STOP recruiting undersized linemen and wasting a year of their life feeding them supplements trying to build them up to be acceptable! And STOP recruiting the same players MAC teams are recruiting.

It’s pretty simple!
Auburn’s football program hired you?

You say Walters wasn’t give much time. My point is BoBO knew Brohm was about to leave. And any good AD would have made preparations for the inevitable. Even Morgan had a successor for Hope before the season was over. Unfortunately that coach turned Morgan down for nc st. That’s how we ended up with Hazell.

And now we have Walters going after a thin juco rather than one of those 4 star ol in the transfer portal. I can see Purdue not signing all of the players in the portal. But I’m not even seeing Purdue making offers and being turned down. Or being a part of a player’s top 5 either.

From the early returns, call me unimpressed.
I am glad that Bobinski and Walters know way more than you about this whole process. You have no idea how long Bobinski has been preparing for this. By the results, I would say for longer than you think. Also, from your comments about NIL, I can see that you have no idea what is going on at Purdue behind the scenes.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Auburn’s football program hired you?
academic center to tutor their players to ensure they maintained their eligibility. I learned a lot about how Auburn's players retained their eligibility. You might say that's where I became so synical about athletes and athletic departments.

I am glad that Bobinski and Walters know way more than you about this whole process. You have no idea how long Bobinski has been preparing for this. By the results, I would say for longer than you think. Also, from your comments about NIL, I can see that you have no idea what is going on at Purdue behind the scenes.
I don't have to know. that's not my job. I know no Purdue alumni is going to fork out $13 million to a football player. I can flip burgers, but i don't work at McDonalds either. the portal closes on Wednesday. I also know about project management and deadlines.

now looking at a Juco OT that looks on the thin side, isn't there anyone in the portal at OT that's a seasoned player? sheesh
300lbs+ is thin?? He was a 4* in high school and was highly recruited before going to Juco.
Yeah everyone thought Walters would of signed more guys already but portal season is farrrr from over! Stop b*tching about recruiting the portal right now when you don’t even know what the final roster will look like once the season comes around. If you’re still unhappy with the roster when that time comes b*tch away buddy but until then don’t turn this thread into a b*tching fest. Btw Charlie Jones says Hi, he was a late add and worked out pretty nice!

He's listed at 6'4/309 on 247. Was a 4* coming out of HS went to Florida for a year, transferred to Miami, and than moved to the JUCO route. He's pretty 'seasoned'.
thanx, just made the statement from looking at the picture on the homepage, just looked like his arms were on the under developed side.

Yeah 6’4” 309 sounds like a hs TE to me! I don’t understand why Walters hasn’t signed ten 6’8” 400lb linemen that run 4.3 40s! Unacceptable!
Tic
well there's Logan Taylor from UVA 6'7' 342 4 star, last 2 yrs Mich did well w/ that center they had from UVA

And you people say I over analyze things? At least I’m not the guy who suggested Les Miles. I forgot who that guy was.
I saw some team picked up a walkon today. The player was 6’8 and. Slim, trim mean 380 pounds!

Yahoo says today (Wednesday) is the last day of portal transfer. Yet I see players still entering it. Was that the day for spring enrollment?

Yahoo says today (Wednesday) is the last day of portal transfer. Yet I see players still entering it. Was that the day for spring enrollment?
The portal reopens in the spring. Not everyone who transfers does so mid school year. I think that’s why most people aren’t freaking out because we haven’t signed 26 guys. Even if we don’t sign any additional players today there will be plenty of good players to go after in the spring.

The portal reopens in the spring. Not everyone who transfers does so mid school year. I think that’s why most people aren’t freaking out because we haven’t signed 26 guys. Even if we don’t sign any additional players today there will be plenty of good players to go after in the spring.
Ok. Good answer

that's a definite possibility.

it's rather sad the big names don't want to coach Purdue. We always seem to be a stepping stone and proving grounds rather than a destination and stopping point. What does Minnesota and iowa have that purdue doesn't?
I don't remember Kirk Ferentz being a big name after a head coaching gig at Maine and then as an assistant coach in the NFL before replacing Hayden Frye...

I also don't remember the boat rower being a bigger name than Brohm when he was hired at Minny...

Wow! I thought the early window closed for portal guys?? Why do I see guys still transferring to new schools or can you still commit but just not sign and go to the new school until summer classes?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT