ADVERTISEMENT

We are going to have to hit the Transfer Portal hard

I

i was wondering myself. If you are going to transfer via the portal don’t you also want to be enrolled for the Spring Semester? Wouldn’t this be the most likely weekend to add a transfer?
Yes you would think so maybe Purdue gets some good news by the end of the weekend. Haven’t heard much outside of the safety and WR guy though.

I

i was wondering myself. If you are going to transfer via the portal don’t you also want to be enrolled for the Spring Semester? Wouldn’t this be the most likely weekend to add a transfer?
Ideally, yes. There will be a few graduate transfer guys that finish up their undergrad requirements at their current university in the Spring and transfer in for summer strength & conditioning, playbook review, skill work, etc.

I’m wondering how does a player qualify as a grad transfer if they haven’t graduated yet?

I’m wondering how does a player qualify as a grad transfer if they haven’t graduated yet?
They’re not technically grad transfers until they graduate . . . They are just in the portal looking to move on and have a “plan” to graduate in the Spring.
Obviously a guy like Jack Plummer transferred from Purdue to Cal with immediate eligibility and can now transfer again to Louisville with immediate eligibility because he’s secured, or will secure, his degree and still has NCAA eligibility.

So the portal allows them to enter the portal without graduating yet. They can commit but not sign an LOI or participate in team activities until they graduate? Is that right?

So a lot of these athletes who say they are grad transfers will really have to wait until they graduate before joining their new team?

On a related note, Can they transfer academically and finish their degree at their new school?

Originally a player could only qualify as a grad transfer if they actually graduated and their new school offered a degree that their current school didn’t offer. My guess is things have changed.

Reactions: Inspector100
So the portal allows them to enter the portal without graduating yet. They can commit but not sign an LOI or participate in team activities until they graduate? Is that right?

So a lot of these athletes who say they are grad transfers will really have to wait until they graduate before joining their new team?

On a related note, Can they transfer academically and finish their degree at their new school?

Originally a player could only qualify as a grad transfer if they actually graduated and their new school offered a degree that their current school didn’t offer. My guess is things have changed.

You can participate in sports as a graduate. Here are some of the requirements to do that:​

1. You must graduate from your current college/university.
  2. Have at least one year of eligibility on your five-year clock.

Reactions: Wolegib
DT Johnson went to Auburn
Auburn also got Gunnar Britton from W Ken who was on our radar, graded out very highly in pass protection last year, would have been nice for Card. Verdis Brown a big DL from Illini is available for one year

Last edited:
I wonder if any of the coaches bring kids from their previous schools or if some former longhorn offensive player want to come play with Card.

Didn't think Lawrence Johnson was an Auburn caliber recruit. Certainly not someone who I would think starts there. Would be good depth for them though.
I’m kind of biased against Auburn. I worked in their learning disabilities center for a couple of years, met and worked with some athletes, and heard a lot of stories about how their athletic department runs the University!

Reactions: Mobes and lucky 53
Didn't think Lawrence Johnson was an Auburn caliber recruit. Certainly not someone who I would think starts there. Would be good depth for them though.
The extra covid year has helped Purdue more than it has hurt them so it is what it is. Good for Sullivan and Johnson because I’m sure they are getting paid to go where they are but I’m a little surprised they got those high of offers after what Purdues defense showed on the field this year but I guess older experienced guys are like hot cakes in the portal.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard any rumblings with transfer portal guys outside of Brady Allen coming back?? Plenty of time still but I’m a little surprised Purdue hasn’t gotten anyone else from the portal especially when 2nd semester classes start next week.

Alec Banks, Harvard, OL
Jahmal Edrine, FAU, WR
Tyrone Broden, Bowling Green, WR
Xavier Weaver, USF, WR

Those are the ones I think we're after so far. Definitely others out there, but Twitter followers shows those are some we have interest in and they might be interested.

Would be a nice pick up!

I think it’s laughable when talented WRs even consider Iowa and on top of that their fans on twitter saying “come to Iowa and be great” lol

Reactions: purduepat1969
All fans are rather unrealistic about their teams. My family members are UW season ticket holders. You should hear them talk about their team.

DL Rodgers is leaving UK. Some may remember him as a Purdue target and almost signee before UK stole him from us. Ultimately UK wasn’t good enough for a man of his talents. So he entered the portal. His first two stops were LSU and Auburn. His third stop was Alabama. Let the bidding begin. I’m sure a man of his many talents will not remain homeless very long .

• Haha
Reactions: SKYDOG
DL Rodgers is leaving UK. Some may remember him as a Purdue target and almost signee before UK stole him from us. Ultimately UK wasn’t good enough for a man of his talents. So he entered the portal. His first two stops were LSU and Auburn. His third stop was Alabama. Let the bidding begin. I’m sure a man of his many talents will not remain homeless very long .
he'll end up somewhere where they take football seriously

I’m kind of biased against Auburn. I worked in their learning disabilities center for a couple of years, met and worked with some athletes, and heard a lot of stories about how their athletic department runs the University!
There was alot of talk of this during their coaching search and how boosters want to run the program as well.

TCU was below .500 last year...Lotsa portal guys turned them around...I don't understand why we can't get 8-10 guys who wanna start

Reactions: purduepat1969
All fans are rather unrealistic about their teams. My family members are UW season ticket holders. You should hear them talk about their team.
I'm sure they are happy, got CJ Williams a 4 star wr Cali kid from USC. They have been busy since hiring a new coach.

There was alot of talk of this during their coaching search and how boosters want to run the program as well.
There is one booster who is the owner of some regional bank that runs everything at Auburn athletics. If he doesn’t like you, it doesn’t matter what your record is, you’re gone. I was an education tutor. I heard stories from both student athletes and other educators.

Well, the transfer portal is closing soon. We got Anthony Brown from Arkansas yesterday.

Will there be any possible surprises before the closing of the portal? It seems like we have missed out on most of our top transfer targets, except for Card.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Well, the transfer portal is closing soon. We got Anthony Brown from Arkansas yesterday.

Will there be any possible surprises before the closing of the portal? It seems like we have missed out on most of our top transfer targets, except for Card.
Looks to be a nice pickup with lots of offers. For more portal guys…I hope so! Tom Dienhart said something about look for Purdue to add a few more portal guys in the coming days so hopefully we see some more before the deadline.

Where can I find the list of guys we missed out on? I know we did not have many scholarships to offer so I was assuming the coaching staff was being very selective about their offers. I can think of Jalen Catalan, Isaac TeSlaa, and the TE from Memphis as guys that we wanted but went elsewhere. Were there more?

Card was the most important get over all of them though. We desperately needed a portal QB and got a good one it seems.

Where can I find the list of guys we missed out on? I know we did not have many scholarships to offer so I was assuming the coaching staff was being very selective about their offers. I can think of Jalen Catalan, Isaac TeSlaa, and the TE from Memphis as guys that we wanted but went elsewhere. Were there more?

Card was the most important get over all of them though. We desperately needed a portal QB and got a good one it seems.
You could say we missed out on every player we didn’t sign. They chose other schools other than Purdue. Yes we had targeted players and we made offers. But I have to believe we at least contacted the players who ended up at places like Iowa and uw and IU and Illinois and other places. I would have to believe before we targeted any player there was some sort of contact. And I would have to believe if they were not considered a target unless they showed some interest.

I would hate to believe our coaching staff didn’t at least reach out to the many players entering the portal. I would hate to believe that Card was the only QB we contacted!

That was Hazell’s biggest recruiting problem. He never reached out to anybody. He just expected recruits would come.

Someone once said we can’t reach out to everybody. I disagree. We should have at least reached out to every player every other big 10 reached out to . If a player is considering msu or IU or Illinois or uw or Iowa, surely they would consider Purdue too. If you don’t make an effort, they surely won’t come.

I would be very disappointed in our coaching staff if I found out they didn’t even make contact with the players who left lsu, Georgia, usc etc.

TE from Ark St went Fla St, Prather wr chose to play for Locksley ( ugh), RB Guerrendo from Wisky went to LVille, the OL from W. Kent Britton went Auburn, OL from Miami OH went

Did the Milton Wright ship sail a long time ago or is there a chance he can get eligible and play for the Boilers next year? He could really help this team if they don’t end up finding a portal WR.

Has anyone heard if Tracey or King Doerue is coming back? I know King got hurt and might of stepped away from the team but not totally sure. And for Tracey I know he has a extra year to use but haven’t heard. I think Tracey can help this team if used the right way.

Did the Milton Wright ship sail a long time ago or is there a chance he can get eligible and play for the Boilers next year? He could really help this team if they don’t end up finding a portal WR.

Has anyone heard if Tracey or King Doerue is coming back? I know King got hurt and might of stepped away from the team but not totally sure. And for Tracey I know he has a extra year to use but haven’t heard. I think Tracey can help this team if used the right way.
A poster on here (goldandblackhoops?) wrote a few months back that Wright told him he was in Florida training for the NFL draft.

I think we're looking at a net loss of around 5-10 players to the transfer portal.

At some point we need warm bodies just to fill the roster, we're dangerously low at several positions.

I guess we'll be scouring the country for preferred walk-ons?

At one point during the Hazell era, I said I have nothing against the recruits he signed but our big 10 counterparts were all signing better recruits! And as a result every other big 10 team was becoming better than us. As I look at the portal signings I’m seeing the same thing this year. A lot of big 10 teams are signing former 4/5 star players and Purdue is signing former 3 star players. A case could be made that Indiana signed a better QB via the portal than Purdue did.

It’s nice to see Purdue signing players. But I’d sure like to see Purdue sign the caliber of players teams like Nebraska, uw, and Iowa are signing!

And please don’t give me the excuse that Walters is new and to give him another 4 years. The coaches at UW and Nebraska are just as new!

And I could care less about the amount of experience a coach has. Our AD picked a coach to be able to compete and lead our team. If he is in over his head like Hazell was, maybe our AD will learn from his mistakes and hire an experienced coach next time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT