ADVERTISEMENT

We are going to have to hit the Transfer Portal hard

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
I don't know if there is a limit on the number of Transfer Portal players you can get. If not, we are going to need a bunch of them.

Brohm really left us in a bind with him leaving, when he left. Now, some will say that he was not sure that this job was going to come available with UL anytime in the near future, especially not this year. However, I have read a lot of articles here locally, and heard a lot of talk, that it seemed like it was not a coincidence that this job opened up. Satterfield saw the writing on the wall. That means that Brohm knew Purdue was going to have a very short amount of time to find someone, and he used it to his advantage, and left us holding the bag.

We will be lucky to have 10-12 commits during the early signing period. We keep having current players leave, which if they don't want to play for Purdue or want a bigger paycheck, then happy to see them go somewhere else anyway. However, unless we want to become the Cradle of Walk Ons or Den of Walk Ons next year, we are going to really have to use the transfer portal to shore up our roster.

I'm really not too worried about it. Brohm wasn't exactly killing it on the recruiting trail. We have this window of portal players and then another one in the spring.
You are exactly right! Not going to sit here and throw Brohm under the bus because he did a lot of good things for Purdue but his recruiting was very hit or miss outside of some great players. He had to depend on some good walk-ons to hold the program together! I believe Walters has some young swagger in him that will help with recruiting.

I don’t see where this is much more of an issue now than it was when Brohm was still here. We lost 6 recruits (who likely weren’t going to be 1st year contributors) and 1 this far has left for a different school. That’s 1 hole to fill. Maybe 2 with Dean leaving but I had him as leaving for the draft anyway. I assume a few more will matriculate out as well but Indont think the attrition has been as bad as it’s being made out to be.

we haven't lost as many players to the portal or to recruiting as some teams have. We had recruited a lot of defensive linemen to beigin with. Take a look at OSU and Michigan. they have lost a lot of players.

and we keep reading how Michigan is signing a lot of players via the portal. They signed IU's QB Tuttle today. Should we be upset with that portal signing? or thank them?

Reactions: z_one and pboiler18
we haven't lost as many players to the portal or to recruiting as some teams have. We had recruited a lot of defensive linemen to beigin with. Take a look at OSU and Michigan. they have lost a lot of players.

and we keep reading how Michigan is signing a lot of players via the portal. They signed IU's QB Tuttle today. Should we be upset with that portal signing? or thank them?
For all we know, Tuttle might be pretty good with good coaching and o-line protection.

Reactions: boilermaker75

may want to put Arkansas in there too, yesterday I read an article on their coach Pitman and how he hates the portal. He lost 19 players so far.

• Wow
Reactions: z_one
I don't know if there is a limit on the number of Transfer Portal players you can get. If not, we are going to need a bunch of them.

Brohm really left us in a bind with him leaving, when he left. Now, some will say that he was not sure that this job was going to come available with UL anytime in the near future, especially not this year. However, I have read a lot of articles here locally, and heard a lot of talk, that it seemed like it was not a coincidence that this job opened up. Satterfield saw the writing on the wall. That means that Brohm knew Purdue was going to have a very short amount of time to find someone, and he used it to his advantage, and left us holding the bag.

We will be lucky to have 10-12 commits during the early signing period. We keep having current players leave, which if they don't want to play for Purdue or want a bigger paycheck, then happy to see them go somewhere else anyway. However, unless we want to become the Cradle of Walk Ons or Den of Walk Ons next year, we are going to really have to use the transfer portal to shore up our roster.
There is a limit. You get 25 new counters plus 7 bonus for transfers. Mockobee and Downing I believe are new counters (although Im not sure Downing counts if you include his time at UNLV). I think Liston counts for this year. I know y’all are Debbie downers on high school signees but I think we end up with at least 15. That limits us to max 14 transfers which would be pretty high (indiana had 13 last year). We may hit 85 before that unless we stop the bleeding on our own outgoing transfers.

There is a limit. You get 25 new counters plus 7 bonus for transfers. Mockobee and Downing I believe are new counters (although Im not sure Downing counts if you include his time at UNLV). I think Liston counts for this year. I know y’all are Debbie downers on high school signees but I think we end up with at least 15. That limits us to max 14 transfers which would be pretty high (indiana had 13 last year). We may hit 85 before that unless we stop the bleeding on our own outgoing transfers.
My impression is that portal players are soft do not want to compete for starting positions. They are not team players and are only concerned about their future. It is a sad state of affairs in college football.

They don’t want to put in the work required to earn a starting position, so they leave. Look at all of Painters players that left. They wanted to improve their own light to showcase their talents rather than take the time to improve their performance.

Look at Carr. He expected to be a big receiver but he didn’t contribute much as a freshman. He then got beat out by a lower ranked player in the spring so he wasn’t going to start as a sophomore. So he left for greener pastures at MSU. Unfortunately he still didn’t want to put in the effort to become a star so he is doing just as poorly at msu as he would have done at Purdue. I doubt he was given the talk to leave. But I have to believe he was given the talk if he wanted to start he would have to put in a greater effort!

They don’t want to put in the work required to earn a starting position, so they leave. Look at all of Painters players that left. They wanted to improve their own light to showcase their talents rather than take the time to improve their performance.

Look at Carr. He expected to be a big receiver but he didn’t contribute much as a freshman. He then got beat out by a lower ranked player in the spring so he wasn’t going to start as a sophomore. So he left for greener pastures at MSU. Unfortunately he still didn’t want to put in the effort to become a star so he is doing just as poorly at msu as he would have done at Purdue. I doubt he was given the talk to leave. But I have to believe he was given the talk if he wanted to start he would have to put in a greater effort!
One example doesn't prove anything. Look at Charlie Jones. He was a solid contributor at Iowa, decided to transfer to Purdue, grabbed a starting job, and became an All-American. But I'm not going to jump to any conclusions that every player on the transfer market will pan out if they change teams.

My impression is that portal players are soft do not want to compete for starting positions. They are not team players and are only concerned about their future. It is a sad state of affairs in college football.
We have not had a great track record with transfers in the past two years except Charlie Jones and that was a bit of the exception not the rule as I expected he came to Purdue because of our offense. Same as Card. Some guys are just trying to move up to a bigger program which we have seen success like Broc Thompson, Tyler Witt, and Chris Jefferson. We also got a ton of really talented transfers the past 3 years from P5 programs and got minimal production. D. Lewis, Brevard, Canion, Denson, Tracy, Taylor was Ok, Finau, S James, Brothers, Joe Anderson, etc.

My point is I am good with finding guys like Card and Jones who just needed to move to get in the right offense. Or guys coming out of small schools who had great success and are looking to showcase themselves on the big stage. But taking P5 players who couldn’t crack the two deeps and gave up to find playing time has been nearly a complete failure.

Reactions: purduepat1969
We have not had a great track record with transfers in the past two years except Charlie Jones and that was a bit of the exception not the rule as I expected he came to Purdue because of our offense. Same as Card. Some guys are just trying to move up to a bigger program which we have seen success like Broc Thompson, Tyler Witt, and Chris Jefferson. We also got a ton of really talented transfers the past 3 years from P5 programs and got minimal production. D. Lewis, Brevard, Canion, Denson, Tracy, Taylor was Ok, Finau, S James, Brothers, Joe Anderson, etc.

My point is I am good with finding guys like Card and Jones who just needed to move to get in the right offense. Or guys coming out of small schools who had great success and are looking to showcase themselves on the big stage. But taking P5 players who couldn’t crack the two deeps and gave up to find playing time has been nearly a complete failure.
They don't have to be superstars like Jones to be of benefit. They just need to provide depth and plug holes.

While Canon, James, Denson and have not contributed, Brothers, Brevard, Tracy, Taylor, Finau have all contributed to the 2 deep. Lewis would have but got a season ending injury.

II don't think we can bank on the transfers becoming all Americans like Jones but I think we can definitely use them to plug holes and shore up depth.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

I agree with your point! Some may not like the Card signing but I do. If the others were ready they wouldn’t be behind Burton on the depth chart. The same can be said about Charlie Jones, people only saw him as a return guy and look what he did here! Transfer guys at Purdue have usually came here to add depth and plug a hole outside of Jones. For Purdue to have success next year I believe they will need to find talented guys in the portal like Jone and Card to give them a chance at a bowl game next year. Hoping to see a talented WR, OL and lots of defensive players.

They don't have to be superstars like Jones to be of benefit. They just need to provide depth and plug holes.

While Canon, James, Denson and have not contributed, Brothers, Brevard, Tracy, Taylor, Finau have all contributed to the 2 deep. Lewis would have but got a season ending injury.

II don't think we can bank on the transfers becoming all Americans like Jones but I think we can definitely use them to plug holes and shore up depth.
I agree 100%. Where my opinion conflicts with others on the board is some people would like to see guys get creaned if they aren’t on the two deep where I see the same if not better value of depth. I don’t like guys feeling like they are getting “recruited over” from the portal if we don’t feel it will be a major improvement. Not good for morale and want to reward guys who commit to Purdue for 4-5 years. Examples of guys on our team I would be disappointed if they got creaned are Wahlberg, Kreul, Bycznski, and Kaltenberger. We do have some guys who just cannot stay healthy and cannot contribute and agree maybe they need to have “the talk.” Same with some of our transfers they just aren’t panning out in particular some elite talent SEc transfers.

Reactions: pboiler18
I agree 100%. Where my opinion conflicts with others on the board is some people would like to see guys get creaned if they aren’t on the two deep where I see the same if not better value of depth. I don’t like guys feeling like they are getting “recruited over” from the portal if we don’t feel it will be a major improvement. Not good for morale and want to reward guys who commit to Purdue for 4-5 years. Examples of guys on our team I would be disappointed if they got creaned are Wahlberg, Kreul, Bycznski, and Kaltenberger. We do have some guys who just cannot stay healthy and cannot contribute and agree maybe they need to have “the talk.” Same with some of our transfers they just aren’t panning out in particular some elite talent SEc transfers.
I get your point and it's valid.

However I think what you see on the board are some reactionary posts about kids entering the portal. Lots of "not a real Boiler anyway" posts. If we got new portal player AND our current players stayed, you wouldn't see any of those posts.

I liked the idea of signing an experienced QB via the portal. It’s kind of obvious he would never really be given a chance to start ahead of arch manning.

I thought the Burton signing was a good signing as well.

I can’t understand Allen leaving just because we signed a qb who had some actual experience. I have to believe Allen’s departure had more to do with tampering than it did with him being afraid of any competition.

Signing jones is sort of the exception to the rule. When originally signed, his role when signed was originally to improve our return game which kind of sucked. However he made the most of a situation and became our #1 option .

Reactions: Boilers1975
I get your point and it's valid.

However I think what you see on the board are some reactionary posts about kids entering the portal. Lots of "not a real Boiler anyway" posts. If we got new portal player AND our current players stayed, you wouldn't see any of those posts.
I agree. Everybody always likes to add portal players. It upsets us when players leave and decommit and all we ever see is the standard departure statement.

We like the addition of Card. But we speculate did his addition have any relation to Allen’s departure

I would have expected Allen to have signed somewhere by now. he missed out on a great opportunity to play in the Citrus Bowl. a lot of other players waited until after their bowl game to enter the portal. this makes me believe his handlers gave him bad information.

I would have expected Allen to have signed somewhere by now. he missed out on a great opportunity to play in the Citrus Bowl. a lot of other players waited until after their bowl game to enter the portal. this makes me believe his handlers gave him bad information.
Semi surprised as well. Maybe gives him more time to think about it and come back. You'd think he'd have to be better than Aliamo.

I might of missed it but when is the cut off date for transfer portal guys to be enrolled at their new school for spring classes?

I
I might of missed it but when is the cut off date for transfer portal guys to be enrolled at their new school for spring classes?
i was wondering myself. If you are going to transfer via the portal don’t you also want to be enrolled for the Spring Semester? Wouldn’t this be the most likely weekend to add a transfer?

ADVERTISEMENT