ADVERTISEMENT

Was Myles Colvin unhappy during Purdue's blowout win over Michigan? The Body Language PhD answers

So I have a question about all the hand-wringing about Colvin. Do other Blue Blood programs worry this deeply about the feelings of the fourth or fifth guy off the bench?

Colvin is obviously spectacularly talented. If he was showing it in practice, he'd be higher in the rotation. Maybe he gets there next year or even later this year. There's so much drama around this that maybe we need to take a deep breath and realize we absolutely stomped Michigan.

So I have a question about all the hand-wringing about Colvin. Do other Blue Blood programs worry this deeply about the feelings of the fourth or fifth guy off the bench?

Colvin is obviously spectacularly talented. If he was showing it in practice, he'd be higher in the rotation. Maybe he gets there next year or even later this year. There's so much drama around this that maybe we need to take a deep breath and realize we absolutely stomped Michigan.
I think this happens because he can really jump and that athletic ability is believed by some as the elixir needed and absent that has led to defeats in the tourney and therefore at the top of the concerns for many. I just think it had nothing to do with wanting the ball and more to do with Myles being shortchanged in breakfast due to timing. Perhaps he was saying pass me the phucking bacon? ;)

It's ok to read other threads before starting a new one to rehash the same things.

Heide redshirted last year, and Myles played on a pretty unstructured team before college, so its no surprise to me that Heide is so far ahead in certain ways.

Heide plays good defense. Myles is still catching up there. I’m confident Painter is talking to them about that.

We all know Painter won’t play guys who can’t defend. He probably told that to Myles when recruiting him because he seems to be very honest/transparent about that stuff.

With Gillis and Morton gone, there will be plenty of minutes for Colvin next year at the 3 if he can beat out the incoming freshmen. Doesn’t Heide play some at the 4 now?

There will be room for both of them next year, if Colvin continues to work hard imo.

Each year at a top 10 program there will be competition for stating positions. Each year when a person is recruited, they expect their talent will lead them to starting. Some succeed and some fail. Many predicted Furst and TKR would start at the 4. Many Heidi fans think he could start at the 3 or 4. Many Myles fans said he could beat out Loyer. And now we have Catchings and Harris fans predicting they should start from day one.

The only real constant is that Painter places a higher priority on a player’s ability to play defense over his shooting ability. But the players coming to Purdue should already know if they want playing time , they need to play defense.

If a player is not receiving a lot of playing time, I would speculate it’s because his defensive performance in practices and games has not measured up to Painter’s standards and expectations.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I watched the game again looking for the play where Colvin wanted the lob. IMHO there was little chance that lob was going to happen. Jones was still not across half court and the play dematerialized rather quickly. If Colvin is upset about that play then he has some growing up to do. I understand wanting to hear the crowd yell for him but there was no way that lob was going to happen.

I watched the game again looking for the play where Colvin wanted the lob. IMHO there was little chance that lob was going to happen. Jones was still not across half court and the play dematerialized rather quickly. If Colvin is upset about that play then he has some growing up to do. I understand wanting to hear the crowd yell for him but there was no way that lob was going to happen.
I haven't got to see that yet, but my memory is what you saw

Reactions: tenwest
there also was one where Smith had a slim chance for a lob to a charging Heide in the 2nd half but decided not to try

Reactions: oldboiler52
there also was one where Smith had a slim chance for a lob to a charging Heide in the 2nd half but decided not to try
Yeah would have all had to be perfect and not worth it to risk an injury there. I wanted to see it from an entertainment stand point but was glad it was not tried.

With Gillis and Morton gone, there will be plenty of minutes for Colvin next year at the 3 if he can beat out the incoming freshmen. Doesn’t Heide play some at the 4 now?
Is it official that those two are leaving next year? It would be great if they could return, in my view.

Is it official that those two are leaving next year? It would be great if they could return, in my view.
Well we already have 14 players for only 13 scholarships and that doesn’t include Morton, Gillis or edey. I wouldn’t mind Gillis back, but ok for Morton to go. Wouldn’t make sense for Zach to come back.

They claim that Colvin was worked up after he didn't get a lob from Jones. I believe this happened at a time out directly after him hitting a 3 and that was basically his follow thru or celebration to hitting the 3 as they went to a break. I think it was just him saying basically "hey I'm feeling it and get me the damn ball" Don't think in any way that it had to do with not getting the lob or necessarily pissed off. Obviously, I do believe he thinks that he should be getting more mins and that offensively he belongs on the court.

The only real constant is that Painter places a higher priority on a player’s ability to play defense over his shooting ability. But the players coming to Purdue should already know if they want playing time , they need to play defense.
If this were true, Morton would start over Loyer.

Painter plays the guys he thinks give Purdue their best chance to win. Period!

Fans disagree at times who that is but the difference is fans see these players play about 70 hours per year while the 4 time B1G COY sees them play 700-800. I’ll trust that the guy with the credentials that sees them every day knows better than me.

Last edited:
They claim that Colvin was worked up after he didn't get a lob from Jones. I believe this happened at a time out directly after him hitting a 3 and that was basically his follow thru or celebration to hitting the 3 as they went to a break. I think it was just him saying basically "hey I'm feeling it and get me the damn ball" Don't think in any way that it had to do with not getting the lob or necessarily pissed off. Obviously, I do believe he thinks that he should be getting more mins and that offensively he belongs on the court.
Totally agree that he was just hyped and feelin it and wanted to keep it going. Love that competitiveness and attitude out of him. He can go get a bucket where he wants and can’t afraid of the moment. We need that kind of mindset for the tourney and just in general. Him and Lance both bring that.

People might not be able to read Myles’ mind, but they can read his lips with and without audio provided!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT