ADVERTISEMENT

Was Colvin ill against ILL as I don't recall him getting into the game at all

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Usually he comes in and gives someone a spell for a minute or two. Irember seeing Gillis, Morton, Heide, and Furst but no Colvin. Was curious if I missed him or if he didn't get in, what was the reason?

Usually he comes in and gives someone a spell for a minute or two. Irember seeing Gillis, Morton, Heide, and Furst but no Colvin. Was curious if I missed him or if he didn't get in, what was the reason?
I dont remember seeing him. Tough spot for Colvin. Jones had a really good game. Heide seems to be pretty well cemented in the rotation. I guess just not enough mins to go around against a tough IL squad.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
With Morton taking the backup minutes for Braden, Jones is getting more run at the third guard spot. That eats into the minutes Colvin was seeing. I would expect to see him play some more Saturday

That is totally a false statement
No…. there are many examples including statements from Painter himself. Anybody that follows Purdue basketball knows that Painter stresses that his players play defense. If you are a freshman looking for playing time, you need to play defense. It doesn't matter who the player is.

Last edited:
My hopes coming into the season were that Colvin would be a quick study and pick up the D and offensive sets quickly. I know he’s very athletic and talented but I think he’s slowly coming along. His individual one on one defense has improved, but he’s still problematic at times in the team D. This causes rotations that too often lead to breakdowns and opportunities for the other team. I anticipate Painter will pick and choose opportunities to get him playing time but he’s currently one of the odd men out in tight games I think.

Reactions: Flot and ChoiceBeef
My hopes coming into the season were that Colvin would be a quick study and pick up the D and offensive sets quickly. I know he’s very athletic and talented but I think he’s slowly coming along. His individual one on one defense has improved, but he’s still problematic at times in the team D. This causes rotations that too often lead to breakdowns and opportunities for the other team. I anticipate Painter will pick and choose opportunities to get him playing time but he’s currently one of the odd men out in tight games I think.
I don't know that I have a meaningful thought behind this, but my gut says he gets some minutes against IU and knocks down 2 or 3 three balls. Just seems like he might be really focused for this interstate game between the good guys and the team down south

He has talent but is not ready for prime time just yet. We have the #1 team in the country and are just one OT road loss from being undefeated. Colvin's time will come when he's ready. He may have become a better person by staying where he did in HS, but the lack of competition left him with much to learn to be B1G ready.

He did not play. He was on the bench in uniform, but he never took off his warmup pants, which one could argue meant that he knew he wasn't going to get minutes. He typically gets in late in the first half for a late spark, but it didn't happen.

He needs to do other things than just launch deep 3’s. He’ll get there, right now he’s the 9th/10th man on a team that goes 9-10 deep.

As much as we like the ten man rotation, very few coaches play 10 late into the season. I think we’re starting to see where the rotation is heading more clearly now with Gillis the clear sixth man (and Furst getting his minutes squeezed a bit up front), Morton as an extra ball handler/defender when needed, and Heide providing depth on the wing (typically playing when Smith is in the game and a strong ball handler isn’t needed).

I'll ask a corollary...did Smith get a break? Looked like he was in the entire game.

In the last 3 meaningful games Colvin's played 4, 3 and 0 minutes. He did play quite a bit in the Jacksonville and Eastern Kentucky blow outs, so I don't think he's hurt. He may just be the odd man out this year. Things could change, but it's a little reminiscent of Newman's sophomore year.

He's kind of in a tough spot. I don't think Painter really trust him as much as some of the older guys but on the other hand, it's hard to earn that trust if you're not playing.

It may take one or two of the rotation guys to slump before he gets another big opportunity and I for one am not cheering for that to happen.

As much as we like the ten man rotation, very few coaches play 10 late into the season. I think we’re starting to see where the rotation is heading more clearly now with Gillis the clear sixth man (and Furst getting his minutes squeezed a bit up front), Morton as an extra ball handler/defender when needed, and Heide providing depth on the wing (typically playing when Smith is in the game and a strong ball handler isn’t needed).
I suspect that 9 will get in a game almost all the time and the 10th will still find a few minutes here and there.

No…. there are many examples including statements from Painter himself. Anybody that follows Purdue basketball knows that Painter stresses that his players play defense. If you are a freshman looking for playing time, you need to play defense. It doesn't matter who the player is.
You are correct. Our defense is only as strong as its weakest link. And Colvin is still learning. The hard part is the best way to learn is through game reps.

He did not play. He was on the bench in uniform, but he never took off his warmup pants, which one could argue meant that he knew he wasn't going to get minutes. He typically gets in late in the first half for a late spark, but it didn't happen.
Saw that too. Could have not been feeling well too. Hell, Furst looked out of it when they were hyping each other up before entering Mackey to start the game. Who knows. But I agree, defense effort is the key with coach to play any meaningful minutes.

Yeah.

As I’ve said, wearing Braden out in the 20 game B1G indoor rugby season is my biggest concern.

He depends totally on skill and quickness, so if he loses a step with dead legs he’s toast.
Definitely saw it last year with both freshman guards. Bigger and stronger now in Braden's case, but still can only put so much load on him and expect him to play at 100% in March.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Damn...should start guessing lottery numbers! ;) Yeah, went out a bit in first half when Illinois started their run and then was brought back in I think. 38 is a lot, but it says all it needs to say about Braden in Matt's eyes

Reactions: Flot
Damn...should start guessing lottery numbers! ;) Yeah, went out a bit in first half when Illinois started their run and then was brought back in I think. 38 is a lot, but it says all it needs to say about Braden in Matt's eyes
both fortunately and unfortunately. I lost a state championship because I ran a tough practice before it. I am convinced that's why we lost. every damned shot hit the front of the rim.

Reactions: tjreese
both fortunately and unfortunately. I lost a state championship because I ran a tough practice before it. I am convinced that's why we lost. every damned shot hit the front of the rim.
No question that is too many minutes, but I doubt and "hope" some of the next games he gets 8 to 10 minutes rest each game. He won't against IU, but may get some rest tonight and Saturday

Reactions: Do Dah Day
With Morton taking the backup minutes for Braden, Jones is getting more run at the third guard spot. That eats into the minutes Colvin was seeing. I would expect to see him play some more Saturday
Hi hope we don't see another situation like last year where you have someone like Colvin sitting on the bench, not getting experience and then all the sudden, you need someone who can deliver some scoring punch (which Morton can't do) and he's only played in 1/2 the games.

Reactions: 02BoilerUp
Hi hope we don't see another situation like last year where you have someone like Colvin sitting on the bench, not getting experience and then all the sudden, you need someone who can deliver some scoring punch (which Morton can't do) and he's only played in 1/2 the games.
That's where it appears that we are headed. Cut him out of the rotation, but I still believe he is going to be needed down the stretch.

He hasn't shown that 6 minutes here and there are going to make him better ... that happens in practice.

Reactions: PurdueDave
He's kind of in a tough spot. I don't think Painter really trust him as much as some of the older guys but on the other hand, it's hard to earn that trust if you're not playing.

It may take one or two of the rotation guys to slump before he gets another big opportunity and I for one am not cheering for that to happen.
As ghostoffatjack wrote in another thread, pt is determined in practice. Trust is earned in practice. That's true on every team for every sport.

As ghostoffatjack wrote in another thread, pt is determined in practice. Trust is earned in practice. That's true on every team for every sport.
Not really. Maybe at the beginning of the year before many games are played but once we're this far along in the season guys earn minutes based on how well they and the team are performing in the games.

I'm sure playing well in practice for a long stretches could create an opportunity at the expense of playing time for Morton or Heide if either of them start playing poorly but as long as they play well and Purdue keeps winning its going to be tough for Colvin to get minutes,

Not really. Maybe at the beginning of the year before many games are played but once we're this far along in the season guys earn minutes based on how well they and the team are performing in the games.

I'm sure playing well in practice for a long stretches could create an opportunity at the expense of playing time for Morton or Heide if either of them start playing poorly but as long as they play well and Purdue keeps winning its going to be tough for Colvin to get minutes,
This I spot on. I think Illinois was entirely matchup based especially to shutdown/slowdown Domask. No knock on Myles, but Domask would have feasted on him. Morton with size and experience, was a difference maker.

Potentially tonight or PSU, he will log some minutes. I want him to still have comfort and confidence come March if/when we might need his shooting and skill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT