ADVERTISEMENT

Walters

Nov 21, 2012
I know a lot of people on here compare Walters to Hazell, which is justified given the record and performance to date. With that said, I find Coach Walters infinitely more likable, humble, and someone that I genuinely want to do well here.

I abandoned Hazell about 3 games into his tenure, but if Walters can hold this team and his recruiting class together after the abysmal start to this season, I think he deserves our support. His defense is showing clear improvement and he is now making obvious effort to repair the inept offense that has held him back since he got here. He also appears to be more disappointed than any of us with the results on the field, which tells me he cares about what is happening here vs. just cashing a check.

So far, I think his biggest mistake has been in trusting the wrong person with his Offense whilst having an unforgiving schedule. Although obvious self-preservation, I think pulling the trigger on Harrell is more than just a symbolic act and and actually gives Walters a chance to rebound. Hopefully he course corrected before it's too late.

Boiler up!

I know a lot of people on here compare Walters to Hazell, which is justified given the record and performance to date. With that said, I find Coach Walters infinitely more likable, humble, and someone that I genuinely want to do well here.

I abandoned Hazell about 3 games into his tenure, but if Walters can hold this team and his recruiting class together after the abysmal start to this season, I think he deserves our support. His defense is showing clear improvement and he is now making obvious effort to repair the inept offense that has held him back since he got here. He also appears to be more disappointed than any of us with the results on the field, which tells me he cares about what is happening here vs. just cashing a check.

So far, I think his biggest mistake has been in trusting the wrong person with his Offense whilst having an unforgiving schedule. Although obvious self-preservation, I think pulling the trigger on Harrell is more than just a symbolic act and and actually gives Walters a chance to rebound. Hopefully he course corrected before it's too late.

Boiler up!
No

Reactions: BBG
Hazell always said he needed to watch the tape and then nothing changed.
After the Nebraska game, Walters used the dreaded watch the tape, but then to our surprise he made a huge change after watching the tape. That alone is a huge difference.

The defense was good enough to win Saturday, the offense did nothing, and the D ran out of gas at the end because they were on the field for way too long.

I am not completely out on Walters, people forget that Brohm didn't exactly leave us with a wealth of talent. Probably why Harrel got another chance after he brought in some more players, but clearly not calling a good game and I think that is what Walters saw on the tape, things that would/should work and we weren't doing it, not attacking the weaknesses so time for a change to someone who can adjust play calling to attack defensive weaknesses. Anyone else can't really be worse.

Hazell always said he needed to watch the tape and then nothing changed.
After the Nebraska game, Walters used the dreaded watch the tape, but then to our surprise he made a huge change after watching the tape. That alone is a huge difference.

The defense was good enough to win Saturday, the offense did nothing, and the D ran out of gas at the end because they were on the field for way too long.

I am not completely out on Walters, people forget that Brohm didn't exactly leave us with a wealth of talent. Probably why Harrel got another chance after he brought in some more players, but clearly not calling a good game and I think that is what Walters saw on the tape, things that would/should work and we weren't doing it, not attacking the weaknesses so time for a change to someone who can adjust play calling to attack defensive weaknesses. Anyone else can't really be worse.
I liked your post. I agree Brohm had more talent leftover year 1 compared to the talent Walters had his first year.

Holding Nebraska scoreless in the first half was impressive. Since the offense could not put together any long drives to give the defense a rest, the defense, as we expected, became tired towards the end of game.

Unforgiving?? How hard has our schedule really been? Notre Dame is a big name and ranked but has already lost at home to a MAC team. Indiana State is a pathetic FCS opponent and Oregon State isn't P5 anymore and didn't look that good even when they were beating us.

Unforgiving?? How hard has our schedule really been? Notre Dame is a big name and ranked but has already lost at home to a MAC team. Indiana State is a pathetic FCS opponent and Oregon State isn't P5 anymore and didn't look that good even when they were beating us.
We are 1-3 with only 1 real un-winnable game that was on the schedule. Agree the Oregon State just is not good.

Gets much tougher now.

Reactions: TC4THREE
"Unforgiving" was meant to say that there haven't been a lot of cupcakes for a first time HC to cut his teeth on. He was thrown into the fire between last year and this year. Also, I say unforgiving because of what is to come. If Walters fixes what is broken and does a steller job coaching from here on out, it is highly unlikely he has much to show for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT