ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: who do you want for the next HC in Football?

The ideal next coach for Purdue is...

• Mark Hagen

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Chris Klienman

Votes: 25 11.6%
  • Jim Leonard

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Dave Clawson

Votes: 85 39.4%
  • JaMarcus Shepard

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Paul Chryst

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • David Hasselhoff (but only with Kitt as OC)

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • Kevin Sumlin

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • Jeff "Tractor" Traylor

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Lou Anarumo

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters
Leonhard has issues! One of his issues is he loves Wisconsin too much and the Packers want him as their DC as their current DC has done a terrible job. Leonhard is also having second thoughts and may even return as the DC for Fickel . He’d be an outstanding hire, but his ties to Wisconsin are very strong.

Leonhard has issues! One of his issues is he loves Wisconsin too much and the Packers want him as their DC as their current DC has done a terrible job. Leonhard is also having second thoughts and may even return as the DC for Fickel . He’d be an outstanding hire, but his ties to Wisconsin are very strong.
Yeah thats what it seems like to me too.

Is everyone feeling that Brian Brohm is going to Louisville no matter what? If not, wouldn't he be just a good a choice if not better than Leonhard?

If Leonhard is chosen, I have a feeling Brian stays as the OC. I think he wants to separate from Jeff but hasn't had the opportunity yet. Plus he's friends with Leonhard.

Reactions: Tommaker
Especially when you know who Ohio State’s first call is going to be if Ryan Day loses to Meeshigan one more time…

Ryan Day isn't going anywhere anytime soon, especially after making the playoffs. You can bet that there will be some major changes at Columbus in the off season. They need to do something with their defense. It's way too soft.

And quite frankly, I doubt Fickell gets the call...

Gee, $2MM to be a DC for the Packers. Maybe $1MM as DC at Wisconsin. Purdue head coach at $5MM+ and he gets the opportunity to be a HC in the B1G.

He was going to be a HC somewhere soon anyway, and it likely wouldn't have been in Wisconsin...

On top of that, he's only a 4 hour drive or less than an hour charter plane flight away from Madison. Wonder who has an airport on their campus?

Not sure which opportunity I'd pick... :rolleyes:

Helton - yes (Brohm ties and could keep the system going)
Leonard - yes (get Shepard or Brohm as OC, Wisconsin D with Purdue O)
Riley - yes (would bring some excitement and was great at TCU, we might be a stepping stone at some point though with a guy like him)
Shephard - yes (Brohm ties and players love him, good reviews about leadership in Washington, FW guy)
Aranda - yes (young and has done well at Baylor when Rhule abandoned them)
Harsin - yes (Boise St offense, wasn't given a chance at Auburn)

Traylor - maybe (Texas roots are deep, same as Brohm situation when a Texas school opens up)
Huff - maybe (might help in NIL front)
Monken - maybe (has great talent at GA but his name is known now)
Moorhead - maybe (so so at Miss St, maybe 5 years ago)
Klieman - maybe (not pulling him away from Kansas St)
Campbell - maybe (why the big drop off this year? 1 win in conference)
Creighton - maybe (Indiana ties, looks no nonsense)
Elko - maybe (young, defensive guy though)
Hagen - maybe (does he want a HC job, who is going to run the offensive side, need big $$ for coordinators)
B Brohm - maybe (see Hagen notes above, would need big $ for a coordinator on defensive side)
Doeren - maybe (has Midwest ties and kept NC State afloat but not championship level in ACC)
Clawson - maybe (seems like East coast kind of guy), not pulling him from Wake)

Chryst - no (maybe 10 years ago)
Sumlin - no (maybe 10 years ago)
Mullen - no (around the block and I can't see him in WL)
O'Brien - no (may bolt for NFL job)
Calhoun - no (option oriented and west coaster)
Fritz - no (age)

Helton - yes (Brohm ties and could keep the system going)
Riley - yes (would bring some excitement and was great at TCU, we might be a stepping stone at some point though with a guy like him)
Shephard - yes (Brohm ties and players love him, good reviews about leadership in Washington, FW guy)

Traylor - maybe (Texas roots are deep, same as Brohm situation when a Texas school opens up)
Hagen - maybe (does he want a HC job, who is going to run the offensive side, need big $$ for coordinators)
B Brohm - maybe (see Hagen notes above, would need big $ for a coordinator on defensive side)
Doeren - maybe (has Midwest ties and kept NC State afloat but not championship level in ACC)

Fritz - no (age)

Helton - I think he would work. But it doesn't sound like Bobinski has up and comer in mind based on what he said in his press conference

Leonhard - Couple him with Brian Brohm as OC and Hagen as DC and I think you have a winner

Todd Monken - I think you might be underestimating what he brings to the table. Turned Southern Miss around in short order. Went to the NFL. Has essentially made Georgia's offense hard to stop. With his connections in the South as well as his family's coaching connections in Illinois, I think we'd see a very good uptick in recruiting. And likely see some of the less used GA players in the portal.

Shepard - I'd be very comfortable with him as long as we keep Hagen and get a very good OC.

Gee, $2MM to be a DC for the Packers. Maybe $1MM as DC at Wisconsin. Purdue head coach at $5MM+ and he gets the opportunity to be a HC in the B1G.

He was going to be a HC somewhere soon anyway, and it likely wouldn't have been in Wisconsin...

On top of that, he's only a 4 hour drive or less than an hour charter plane flight away from Madison. Wonder who has an airport on their campus?

Not sure which opportunity I'd pick... :rolleyes:
Leonhard would be awesome. however, the facts are he turned down more money from the packers to remain the DC at Wisconsin 2 years ago. and at that tme Chryst looked like he'd be a head coach for a few more years. So it would appear that leonhard is not that interested in the money. the packers are not going to fire joe barry until they are mathematically eliminated, and they have a bye this week. and after some discussions, he's hinted he might just stay at UW as their DC . he doesn't seem to be swayed by the $$$$$$

Fritz - no (age)
Monken, yes. And also get their DC.

Campbell, no. ISU was terrible this yr.

Clawson. No. One season in conf over .500 in 9 yrs.

Klieman. No. Huge buyout. $4M. Would be mid $30M or higher investment over 5-6 yrs.

Look at DC, OC or younger HC that does not have ties to the MW. Need to recruit the SE and TX. Get away from MAC level recruiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: TX4GB
Leonhard would be awesome. however, the facts are he turned down more money from the packers to remain the DC at Wisconsin 2 years ago. and at that tme Chryst looked like he'd be a head coach for a few more years. So it would appear that leonhard is not that interested in the money. the packers are not going to fire joe barry until they are mathematically eliminated, and they have a bye this week. and after some discussions, he's hinted he might just stay at UW as their DC . he doesn't seem to be swayed by the $$$$$$

What does that tell you? It tells me you don't know what you're talking about...

Ryan Day isn't going anywhere anytime soon, especially after making the playoffs. You can bet that there will be some major changes at Columbus in the off season. They need to do something with their defense. It's way too soft.

And quite frankly, I doubt Fickell gets the call...
It all depends on how next season goes. OSU gets manhandled by Harbaugh again, and Fickell turns UW around, then they’ll send the private jet and a blank check to Fickell.

Day is already being compared to John Cooper in Columbus:

FihDDXkVQAApALZ.jpg

PS - they know Vrabel ain’t coming.

I voted for JaMarcus Shepherd. He is from Indiana, knows Purdue and is a great recruiter. He is also a very good offensive mind. Keep Hagan and make him the D-coordinater (if he will stay at that position), make Shepherd the Head coach and then go after another young rising start as the OC.

So is the Leonhard/Wisconsin bridge burned? I'd rather not walk into another Brohm to Louisville situation that seemingly was always looming.
It will never be burned to the ground but UW folks and those with deep roots in that program are not happy with their hire....

I voted for Hagen because he is my number one on the list. But I would’ve gone with either Dan Mullen or Garrett Riley who are my top two on the wish list.
Willing to turn over the program to a guy who's never even been a coordinator?

I voted for JaMarcus Shepherd. He is from Indiana, knows Purdue and is a great recruiter. He is also a very good offensive mind. Keep Hagan and make him the D-coordinater (if he will stay at that position), make Shepherd the Head coach and then go after another young rising start as the OC.
That would be about as inexperienced of a staff as you could get. Maybe it'd work at a lower level, but you don't want that staff jumping into the B1G.

Purdue should try to hire a coach with previous head coach experience at a P5 program, who can bring in his own guys that he's built trust and rapport with to fill out at least most of the positions on the staff.

-DeBoer/Shephard/Hagen
(forgot DeBoer & Hagen together at IU in 2019?)

-Monken

Last edited:
The first call should be to Klieman, even if it's a long shot. Purdue can give him a significant raise. At the very least, make K-State get into a bidding war for him.

The second call should be to Clawson. All the dude does is win, and at a place where that isn't easy. He would be a homerun hire for Purdue.

Unless the players just absolutely want Brian to coach them, I feel the sooner we cut ties with the Brohms, the better. Hagen should be coaching the bowl game...then again he may have deferred that to someone else. Very odd situation.
I think it comes down to offensive play calling and the relationship he has with AOC. It may turn out like the Auburn game a few years ago though.

Unless the players just absolutely want Brian to coach them, I feel the sooner we cut ties with the Brohms, the better. Hagen should be coaching the bowl game...then again he may have deferred that to someone else. Very odd situation.
Agree.

JaMarcus had a commanding lead last night but as we head into the final stretch others have closed the gap! Who will be the fan favorite as we wait for the photo finish with the announcement of the new Head Coach? Addendum: Hasselhoff has slipped into "Program Outreach Coordinator", AKA Fifth place on the rail.

What I wanna know is who are the 9 idiots who voted for Sumlin? And the 3 who voted for Chryst?

What about Gus Malzahn? Would recruit well, attract good coordinators, results probably in a high floor at the very least.

So Dave Clawson has suddenly blown up in this poll. Do some of the voters know something that nobody else does?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT