ADVERTISEMENT

USA Basketball Beat by France

We have our differences. But differences are only one aspect of respect and friendship...
Well said. I've long owned up that I am an unapologetic prick at times but I am also like that in real life. I found at least for me, it makes sure people know where I am coming from and not worrying about other people's feelings is rather 'freeing' as it were.

I have little doubt you and I will disagree again, but that is what it is all about. Just because people argue on a forum, doesn't mean there isn't some respect given. Well, unless you're an iu fan then that of course changes.

So playing the "people are free to do whatever they want" card?

Can we just agree that some people prefer to talk about sports, and not politics? If you want to talk politics, that's fine, there's a general board for you to talk politics. But if the consensus agree to have the politics kept in the general forum, and leave sports for sports, as community members, shouldn't we respect that?

And I am not saying it's a zero tolerance policy. I understand sometimes politics is a part of sports (e.g. players kneeling, or whether vaccine / mask is required for players). And we might touch on those in a sports thread. But when it is clear that the topic has steered away from sports, maybe we should just stop?

And if you wanna continue talking about Jan 6th, insurrection, or other kind of politics, start a thread in the general forum and many will comment there and everyone's happy.

That's kind of tyrannical. The sad thing about this forum is that comments are very poorly organized. It is strictly chronological. So if someone wants to read about USA-France basketball, there is no way that he knows it will become a political thread until he reads it through. So to say "don't open" or "scroll by" is inconsiderate.

It'll be like if I smoke in a place that has a non-smoking sign, and if someone asks me to "would you mind smoke at the designated smoking room?", and I say, "If you don't want breathe in second-hand smoke, just don't breathe or go elsewhere. Trust me, my life will go on just fine if you GTFU of here. Your presence isn't nearly that valuable." Do you see how dickish it is?
Tyrannical? Talk to Biden/Pelosi

Well said. I've long owned up that I am an unapologetic prick at times but I am also like that in real life. I found at least for me, it makes sure people know where I am coming from and not worrying about other people's feelings is rather 'freeing' as it were.

I have little doubt you and I will disagree again, but that is what it is all about. Just because people argue on a forum, doesn't mean there isn't some respect given. Well, unless you're an iu fan then that of course changes.

“ not worrying about other people's feelings is rather 'freeing' as it were“

Wow? Maybe more fiber in your diet?

If you don't want to talk politics, don't open a thread talking about politics. How are you missing that simple thing?

I open a thread in a BASKETBALL FORUM with the subject

USA Basketball Beat by France​

What kind of logic that I should expect this to be a political thread?

But here let me give you a tip: You see a topic, you open it and find it has content that doesn't interest you, you then know you need to avoid it. If it's at the top of your list, you use your mouse scroll wheel to move to other topics. At that point you know to avoid it, again it's not difficult.

Let me give you a tip: You see a forum, say it's "basketball", and you see a thread, say it's also about basketball, then you don't hijack the thread and talk politics. Again it's not difficult.

Let me give you a tip: You see a forum, say it's "basketball", and you see a thread, say it's also about basketball, then you don't hijack the thread and talk politics. Again it's not difficult.
Not to get in the middle of this but let's be fair here, 42 isn't the one that hijacked this thread. And I get not wanting to talk politics, but no offense within the first few posts this thread was already on to something else.

Again no offense but even I posted very non-basketball related thing in here so singling one person for something many others, including you really, are doing (hijacking a thread) is a bit one-sided. Especially when people complaining about this thread keep posting in it and bumping it to the top.

I often post here on my phone and find it very easy to skip threads/posts I don't want to read. To be perfectly clear I am not trying to get in the middle of this and mean no disrespect, but those in glass houses........

Glad you wised up about Pat. He's a good poster.

And if we all agreed on here then what fun would that be? A little disagreement goes a long way ... just know that I am always right :)

Maybe you should take your own advice. None of your posts in here have been about basketball.

You have to think that teams that actually don’t hate their country probably play with a little more fire. If you’re embarrassed to be an American then how hard are you really going to play for America.
01olympics-live-chang-1417-superJumbo-v2.jpg

Are any of the people who trashed the Olympic team after one loss going to update their opinion? The US team got off to a predictably slow start because the team had been thrown together and some of the players hadn't even practiced with it when the Games began. They improved throughout the Olympics and won the gold medal. So is anyone proud of them now? Seems to me some people enjoy hating on them more than cheering them and can't help but bring political issues into it. Sad.

Reactions: joseole101
Any update now that they've won the gold medal? Curious, what makes the players morons and what makes the coach a douchebag?
If you listen closely, you will hear many, many people telling you what's wrong with professional athletics in today's world.

You can get as angry as you like and try to dunk on them all you want, but in doing so you're seemingly doing everything you can to miss the point.

It wasn't posters on a public internet forum that brought all the divisive, toxic politics into the sporting world. So many people (including all those who have posted things with which you vehemently disagree) simply want a world of sports where they can be entertained, relax, unwind and escape the nonsense in everyday life.

Sad, indeed.

Are any of the people who trashed the Olympic team after one loss going to update their opinion? The US team got off to a predictably slow start because the team had been thrown together and some of the players hadn't even practiced with it when the Games began. They improved throughout the Olympics and won the gold medal. So is anyone proud of them now? Seems to me some people enjoy hating on them more than cheering them and can't help but bring political issues into it. Sad.
It's ironic that the people mocking the men's basketball team for losing a meaningless group stage game and actively rooting against them think they're more patriotic than the players sacrificing their off-season and representing the country without a protest.

What exactly did any of those guys do while representing the US this summer to deserve such derision? Did you see them celebrate with the flags after their gold medal win? Those didn't look like guys that hate the country. Now the women's soccer team on the other hand...

Reactions: vantalge
It's ironic that the people mocking the men's basketball team for losing a meaningless group stage game and actively rooting against them think they're more patriotic than the players sacrificing their off-season and representing the country without a protest.

What exactly did any of those guys do while representing the US this summer to deserve such derision? Did you see them celebrate with the flags after their gold medal win? Those didn't look like guys that hate the country. Now the women's soccer team on the other hand...
In the Olympics they did nothing wrong and everything right. Before the games started, the media, with a few high-profile athletes, portrayed the upcoming Olympics as a place where the athletes would use their "platform" to protest social injustice in our country. Some high-profile NBA players had already been using their "platform" to do this. The media may have thought that they were creating a positive image for these protests, but it did not work for most Americans, including most athletes at the Olympics. As you said, it didn't work for the basketball players.

I'm going to give the USA multiple teams some props down the stretch of the Olympics. Players stayed focused and played. I may have missed it, but didn't see any "protesting". Roughly half of America found it important to focus on what they are there to do, play a sport to their best ability for their country. In my view, mission accomplished. Good job All USA athletes.

The people who trashed the Olympic team after that early loss are awfully quiet now, aren't they? Looks like they've been dunked on. But aren't man enough to admit it.

The people who trashed the Olympic team after that early loss are awfully quiet now, aren't they? Looks like they've been dunked on. But aren't man enough to admit it.
Not one of us has been 'quiet', things are long over so the topic is dead. They won, great, but nothing that was said was wrong and some even still applies. It's called criticism, get thicker skin or get off the internet.

Reactions: IUhaterade
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT