ADVERTISEMENT

USA Basketball Beat by France

Yep. I care about as much for this team as I do the women’s soccer team. All they care about is themselves.
So true. I used to look forward to the Olympics. Now that our “teams” have gone political and activist I don’t pay much attention. I have watched some of the individual sports like kayaking, single skull rowing, swimming, etc. The one team I’m watching is softball. Kat Ostermann and Monica Abbott coming back to play are really good pitchers.

...and yet some people still claim it is something other than dislike of the brand of basketball that would drive someone to enjoy college basketball yet loathe the NBA at the same time. The NBA, while supposedly the vanguard of the sport of basketball, is also really a specific type of basketball (one that relies on athleticism).

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I'm still watching the Olympics, but hoping women's soccer and men's bball get slapped into next week. I'm still rooting for the individuals in every sport that have put in the time and effort to excel and want to represent their country. A few bad apples won't spoil the Olympics for me. The "woke" Greg Pop irritates me no end.

Yep. I care about as much for this team as I do the women’s soccer team. All they care about is themselves.
It was great to see the men's and women's swimming team get together and have a "rally" to celebrate their country and the honor of representing it. They sang the National Anthem on 2 different occasions, once underwater. :)

The media wants to give the few anti-America participants their "platform" to get attention. The vast majority of the American athletes are proud of their country. The athletes who think this is their platform for protesting are only embarassing themselves, not their country.

I'm still watching the Olympics, but hoping women's soccer and men's bball get slapped into next week. I'm still rooting for the individuals in every sport that have put in the time and effort to excel and want to represent their country. A few bad apples won't spoil the Olympics for me. The "woke" Greg Pop irritates me no end.
He's likely only woke because he doesn't want to be cancelled by the players...

...and yet some people still claim it is something other than dislike of the brand of basketball that would drive someone to enjoy college basketball yet loathe the NBA at the same time. The NBA, while supposedly the vanguard of the sport of basketball, is also really a specific type of basketball (one that relies on athleticism).
It's a brand of basketball that relies on star power alone...and not much else...

So true. I used to look forward to the Olympics. Now that our “teams” have gone political and activist I don’t pay much attention. I have watched some of the individual sports like kayaking, single skull rowing, swimming, etc. The one team I’m watching is softball. Kat Ostermann and Monica Abbott coming back to play are really good pitchers.

So basically you admit that you will put politics before country? If an athlete representing the country also happens to be an activist to push for a cause she believes in (but you don't), you wouldn't put aside the difference and cheer for your country? OK, I guess that's your choice.

• Haha
Reactions: JohnHoosierr
If they don’t win gold and turn their backs to the flag, make them find their own ride back to the states, damn it.

So basically you admit that you will put politics before country? If an athlete representing the country also happens to be an activist to push for a cause she believes in (but you don't), you wouldn't put aside the difference and cheer for your country? OK, I guess that's your choice.
The teams themselves are the epitome of what your railing about.

It was great to see the men's and women's swimming team get together and have a "rally" to celebrate their country and the honor of representing it. They sang the National Anthem on 2 different occasions, once underwater. :)

The media wants to give the few anti-America participants their "platform" to get attention. The vast majority of the American athletes are proud of their country. The athletes who think this is their platform for protesting are only embarassing themselves, not their country.
I enjoyed that. I saw the circle singing they did. That was great. And then they went and won the first gold medal of the games for the US (and a silver in the same race). That was awesome.

Do you know what her "cause" is?

Basically, I don't want to see any politics in sports. I also don't accept those representing my country in a sport using the platform as a means to promote something the entire country doesn't agree on. When you represent your country, you're supposed to represent all people of that country...

This thread (and unfortunately many here) is getting straight to the point that Hemingway made many years ago. Despite our pride in freedom of speech and opinion, we are still a country of wide lawns and narrow minds. Wouldn’t it be funny to find that (if) our team holds the same feelings and beliefs that are evidently so prevalent in the NBA. Yous want athletes to leave politics off the court? Why not leave your caring about politics off a basketball forum?

The NBA does not = team USA and their opponents do not = not NBA.

The guy who lit up the USA from France plays in the NBA and so did/do most of their starters. Rudy Gobert was an NBA All Star last year.

A quarter of the guys drafted in the NBA each year aren't from the USA. The NBA league MVP and the finals are both not from the USA. Only 5 guys on Team USA were NBA all stars (out of 27 all stars selected) and only Jayson Tatum started for either NBA all star team. The NBA West All Star team started 3 foreign born players. A lot of the guys on team USA aren't even the 2nd best player on their own NBA team.

I agree based on the talent of individual players it seems like team USA should have enough talent to win but its not like we're rolling out the Dream Team anymore and I'm sure the players from the other countries are well aware of that.

Reactions: IndySouthsider
People can make all the excuses they want, but there is no way the US should be losing the way it did. It doesn't matter if other teams are using pro players because the US still supposedly has more than enough to over come it.

It boils down to the whiney millionaires would rather make a crappy movie than play for their country or any of another host of fake reasons they give to not play.

It is no coincidence that 'woke' teams like men's basketball and women's soccer are losing. The best simply are not being sent and when you send weak social justice warriors, you lose.

We are going to get embarrassed and mocked the entire olympics because all the wokeness has made us an inferior country and it is showing.

Last edited:
This thread (and unfortunately many here) is getting straight to the point that Hemingway made many years ago. Despite our pride in freedom of speech and opinion, we are still a country of wide lawns and narrow minds. Wouldn’t it be funny to find that (if) our team holds the same feelings and beliefs that are evidently so prevalent in the NBA. Yous want athletes to leave politics off the court? Why not leave your caring about politics off a basketball forum?
The real narrow minds are the ones who believe police brutality is at the top of the list as to what is killing young black men or holding them back from advancement. But keep believing the narrative the woke culture is spewing...

The NBA does not = team USA and their opponents do not = not NBA.

The guy who lit up the USA from France plays in the NBA and so did/do most of their starters. Rudy Gobert was an NBA All Star last year.

A quarter of the guys drafted in the NBA each year aren't from the USA. The NBA league MVP and the finals are both not from the USA. Only 5 guys on Team USA were NBA all stars (out of 27 all stars selected) and only Jayson Tatum started for either NBA all star team. The NBA West All Star team started 3 foreign born players. A lot of the guys on team USA aren't even the 2nd best player on their own NBA team.

I agree based on the talent of individual players it seems like team USA should have enough talent to win but its not like we're rolling out the Dream Team anymore and I'm sure the players from the other countries are well aware of that.
The guy from France decided to play for his country and was proud to do it, unlike some players from the USA...

Yous want athletes to leave politics off the court? Why not leave your caring about politics off a basketball forum?
We're not representing GBI in international competition. If I hated GBI I certainly wouldn't login and post here. The left wing corporate media has been fanning the flames of racism for decades in an effort to drive profits and win elections.

The real narrow minds are the ones who believe police brutality is at the top of the list as to what is killing young black men or holding them back from advancement. But keep believing the narrative the woke culture is spewing...
What cracks me up is when you look at actual statistics, white people are often killed by police at a far greater pace than black people. And not to derail this thread, but if you want to reduce black deaths, deal with black on black violence and the rate plummets. It always amazes me that people like LeFlop James focus on one event yet he ignores what is going on in Chicago.

MLK is somewhat of a hero of mine and even though his politics were different than what mine are today, he no doubt is rolling in his grave at what is going on today.

It is no coincidence that 'woke' teams like men's basketball and women's soccer are losing. The best simply are not being sent and when you send weak social justice warriors, you lose.

We are going to get embarrassed and mocked the entire olympics because all the wokeness has made us an inferior country and it is showing.
I think your point is still confusing. Is basketball losing because the best are not being sent? Or because they don’t love their country? If both, what percentage would you assign to each? It’s important for me to understand your line of thinking.

When women’s soccer ends up winning gold, how will you change your narrative??

Reactions: charlespig
I wonder if the USOC/USA Basketball/NBA shouldn't consider establishing a true national team.

Essentially make it another franchise with a coaching staff, GM, and a roster comprised of players who do well overseas/in the G League (players like Kramer and JJ as an example). Obviously it would have to be worth their while financially.

They would be based in one town for training and practicing, play in all the international tourneys and have exhibitions against college and pro teams.

The team could be organized on a four-year cycle culminating in the Olympics.

Since the NBA has propped up the WNBA in Weekend at Bernie's style, certainly it could work with its corporate partners and USA Basketball to generate interest in the national team.

Just food for thought...it's the difference between throwing together a roster of apathetic guys going through the motions/trying to avoid injury and an actual team.

Obviously I can only speak for me, but I would watch that team compete, as opposed to paying this Olympic team scant attention at best.

I won't change my narrative because nothing I said changes really.
If you theorize causes for an outcome, but the outcome does not happen as you predicted, then you should examine the alleged causes.

The fact you are unwilling to do this tells me all I need to know about how open minded you are on this matter.

Reactions: T-boneBoiler
If you theorize causes for an outcome, but the outcome does not happen as you predicted, then you should examine the alleged causes.

The fact you are unwilling to do this tells me all I need to know about how open minded you are on this matter.
And there is no measurement on this planet or in the known universe that can show how little I care about what you think of me. That is the great thing about me, in the most sincerest way possible your feelings are irrelevant to me and you can't cancel the way I think.

Plus my statement was pretty clear to begin with, if you can't comprehend it that is your problem. We sent 'woke' people on the teams I mentioned, they lost when they shouldn't have, it's that simple.

If athletes left their political/social causes at home we wouldn't BE discussing them on here.

If athletes left their political/social causes at home we wouldn't BE discussing them on here.
I wish I could 'like' your post more than once because it is so accurate. People want to watch sports and movies and TV shows to escape politics, not get more thrown in their faces. especially when it comes from such an out of touch set of people.

Apparently you are not one of those who takes pride in our freedom of speech and opinion?

Basically, I don't want to see any politics in sports. I also don't accept those representing my country in a sport using the platform as a means to promote something the entire country doesn't agree on. When you represent your country, you're supposed to represent all people of that country...

When a player plays in the NBA, he is not representing the country. He is only representing the country when he plays for Team USA.

So my question is, what have the NBA players on Team USA done in the Olympics that are not "representing all people of our country"?

Just because Ernie said it does not make it so. He was known for shooting his mouth off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT