ADVERTISEMENT

Ty Berrong

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
6’2 220 OLB out of Florida and just changed his profile pick to a photo from a visit. Has UCF as his background photo on twitter.

Top 500 on 247. He is the kind of player you want on your team as a leader. I am not sure there is room for another linebacker, but we made his final 5. Purdue has had several folks change the profile pick and then pick another school. So it may not mean much. It is just something I noticed and thought I would point out.

At this point, I feel DT is the most important position. I know Purdue is on the GT commit DE, Austin, and Ox for DT.

I can’t see taking more than 3-4 more folks in this class (surprised they are even taking that many to be honest). I don’t know if there is room, but maybe you make room for him. They are keeping the number they are taking this cycle pretty close. It’s more than I expected already.

6’2 220 OLB out of Florida and just changed his profile pick to a photo from a visit. Has UCF as his background photo on twitter.

Top 500 on 247. He is the kind of player you want on your team as a leader. I am not sure there is room for another linebacker, but we made his final 5. Purdue has had several folks change the profile pick and then pick another school. So it may not mean much. It is just something I noticed and thought I would point out.

At this point, I feel DT is the most important position. I know Purdue is on the GT commit DE, Austin, and Ox for DT.

I can’t see taking more than 3-4 more folks in this class (surprised they are even taking that many to be honest). I don’t know if there is room, but maybe you make room for him. They are keeping the number they are taking this cycle pretty close. It’s more than I expected already.
If he wants to come here I think we’d see one of the other LB recruits end up as a blue shirt/greyshirt situation.

Blue shirt would not be an option
I think it would be. The current recruits would meet the requirements.

To be a blue shirt candidate that means there was no official visit taken by the athlete, the coach didn’t visit the athlete at home, there was no National Letter of Intent signed, and no form of athletic aid.

I think it would be. The current recruits would meet the requirements.

To be a blue shirt candidate that means there was no official visit taken by the athlete, the coach didn’t visit the athlete at home, there was no National Letter of Intent signed, and no form of athletic aid.

I’d find it hard to believe an assistant hasn’t been in this kids home yet. Maybe, Washington could fall into that category however I’d be highly surprised if no coach has visited Berrong.

I’d find it hard to believe an assistant hasn’t been in this kids home yet. Maybe, Washington could fall into that category however I’d be highly surprised if no coach has visited Berrong.
I said if Berrong wants to come here you’d probably see one of the other LB recruits do a blue shirt/greyshirt situation. Berrong would be a regular scholarship.

I said if Berrong wants to come here you’d probably see one of the other LB recruits do a blue shirt/greyshirt situation. Berrong would be a regular scholarship.

That’s my poor reading comprehension. I feel like Brown/Holt visited Jenkins already. Not sure on Washington since Poindexter has been living over in Jersey.

That’s my poor reading comprehension. I feel like Brown/Holt visited Jenkins already. Not sure on Washington since Poindexter has been living over in Jersey.
I don’t know who’s been visited but I just can’t see taking another LB without working in a greyshirt/blue shirt situation with one of the current guys.

I don’t know who’s been visited but I just can’t see taking another LB without working in a greyshirt/blue shirt situation with one of the current guys.

Brandt makes sense to grayshirt as he needs additional size

Oh yeah, blue shirt wouldn’t help the 85 scholarship limit. Only greyshirt would. I just read that in another thread and was like, oh yeah that makes sense.

I think you take the best players and let things work out.

FWIW, I think Berrong ends up being a LEO if he comes to Purdue. Haven’t had one of those recruited yet this year and that position needs filled with Barnes having two years left to play.

FWIW, I think Berrong ends up being a LEO if he comes to Purdue. Haven’t had one of those recruited yet this year and that position needs filled with Barnes having two years left to play.

The guy greyshirting is a LEO, I believe. The one from northern Indiana (his name escapes me)

Might have been thinking of Hudgins while typing about Berrong.

Hudgins is going to be a versatile player. It’s possible he even gets moved inside. He was a very important get.

Looking at Washington, he is 6’3 and very well could move to the edge rusher position.

Purdue still needs at least one DT in this class. The appeal for a player like Ox (who already has Big ready size) would be immediate playing time. He looks dominant on the line and when you pair him with what Purdue has, I think next year could be the year they really make some noise.

You know there is a reason that they are still pursuing this kid, if he would verbal to us, so they have a plan if that were to happen.

I keep thinking we will be hearing about Austin soon, but it has not happened yet. Maybe when Training Camp starts?

On Berrong, his top 5 as of 6 weeks ago were Nebraska, Purdue, Pitt, South Florida and West Virginia. But the singular CB has him going to Florida.

On Berrong, his top 5 as of 6 weeks ago were Nebraska, Purdue, Pitt, South Florida and West Virginia. But the singular CB has him going to Florida.
Yeah, 247 has him 100% to Florida, and since he's from Florida, I wouldn't hold your breath.

You know there is a reason that they are still pursuing this kid, if he would verbal to us, so they have a plan if that were to happen.

I keep thinking we will be hearing about Austin soon, but it has not happened yet. Maybe when Training Camp starts?

Austin is surprising. He said he was announcing soon almost a month ago. Purdue got several CBS for him, and then radio silence. I think there was even a DL bat signal around that time too. So who knows.

Austin is surprising. He said he was announcing soon almost a month ago. Purdue got several CBS for him, and then radio silence. I think there was even a DL bat signal around that time too. So who knows.
Might have been the staff squashing the verbal before there was a Sheffield incident while waiting for O2.

That list almost makes a player sound like he's just walking on. What's the advantage to either the school or player?

That list almost makes a player sound like he's just walking on. What's the advantage to either the school or player?

They go on scholarship when the season begins. Wahlberg is paying for his summer school, then goes on scholarship for fall semester. He did not take an official visit to Purdue so he kept his blue shirt eligibility.

Reactions: BoilersRock
Might have been the staff squashing the verbal before there was a Sheffield incident while waiting for O2.

There is zero chance Purdue turned down Austin unless a serious off the field or academic issue presented itself. Purdue has been very high on him for a long time. If Ox and Austin want to commit, you make room for both IMO, but that wiggle room is very quickly disappearing.

I think Ty is making a September announcement. I know Carr and Ox are waiting too.

Take everything else in the class away, and I would have been thrilled if you had told me Purdue was getting Hudgins, Ox, and Austin. I would have said that was exactly what Purdue needed and anything else is jus icing. Especially if they also get the GT DE. That would be 4 DL with huge upside and DL is the biggest need IMO. Purdue addressed the OL, even if some of those guys are projects I like the pieces. I don’t think there is room for the 4 DL I mentioned but if there is a way to make room, you do it and say thank you.

The class shaped up very nicely, just need to finish strong. I also think Ox is criminally underrated and very well could be one of the best players in his class as a true freshman. If Purdue lands him that is a program changing type get, IMO. It makes the loss of Neal hurt a lot less.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
There is zero chance Purdue turned down Austin unless a serious off the field or academic issue presented itself. Purdue has been very high on him for a long time. If Ox and Austin want to commit, you make room for both IMO, but that wiggle room is very quickly disappearing.

I think Ty is making a September announcement. I know Carr and Ox are waiting too.

Take everything else in the class away, and I would have been thrilled if you had told me Purdue was getting Hudgins, Ox, and Austin. I would have said that was exactly what Purdue needed and anything else is jus icing. Especially if they also get the GT DE. That would be 4 DL with huge upside and DL is the biggest need IMO. Purdue addressed the OL, even if some of those guys are projects I like the pieces. I don’t think there is room for the 4 DL I mentioned but if there is a way to make room, you do it and say thank you.

The class shaped up very nicely, just need to finish strong. I also think Ox is criminally underrated and very well could be one of the best players in his class as a true freshman. If Purdue lands him that is a program changing type get, IMO. It makes the loss of Neal hurt a lot less.
I kind of agree with Johnny here, OO is the top dog and if we’re only taking one DT the staff might just wait on him.

Look at it objectively. You don’t turn down option 1a for a possibility at option one in 3 months. Especially if you could use both. Outside of a major red flag nobody knows about, there is no way Purdue turns Austin down. There is far to great of a need on the DL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
Look at it objectively. You don’t turn down option 1a for a a possibility at option one in 3 months. Especially if you could use both. Outside of a major red flag nobody knows about, there is no way Purdue turns Austin down. There is far to great of a need on the DL.
If you watched the camp films that both OO and Austin attended you might want to wait too.

If you watched the camp films that both OO and Austin attended you might want to wait too.

I have gone on and on about how I think Ox is going to be a day one beast. But don’t think Austin cant get there. Austin is an absolute take. Ox is a make room for him guy. Don’t think you pass on an absolute take just because a guy may commit later that you without a doubt find room for. Purdue could use them both. The DL is the most important part of this class.

You are a premium member. You know better than this.
I’m using a credit card that
I have gone on and on about how I think Ox is going to be a day one beast. But don’t think Austin cant get there. Austin is an absolute take. Ox is a make room for him guy. Don’t think you pass on an absolute take just because a guy may commit later that you without a doubt find room for. Purdue could use them both. The DL is the most important part of this class.
i would argue OL is most important but to each his own

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT