ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal (?)

Mar 12, 2016
Was a fun ride this season and never thought I’d see this in my lifetime. Today, we had to play a perfect game and we didn’t.

This game was either a call for adding transfers (via the portal) or a big eye opener for the guards on our roster. Not to mention Jones gone next year.

Who are we targeting in the portal?

Was a fun ride this season and never thought I’d see this in my lifetime. Today, we had to play a perfect game and we didn’t.

This game was either a call for adding transfers (via the portal) or a big eye opener for the guards on our roster. Not to mention Jones gone next year.

No one! We already have one more player than we have scholarships for. Someone has to leave to make room or give up a scholarship.

Last edited:

We won't know until we know who is going and who is staying.

Two people would have to leave for the portal to come into play.

Reactions: clankhan

have you not been paying attention? Lol

We need 1 person to leave to make room for the freshmen coming in. Would need 2 to leave for a portal pick up.

Based on Painter’s history and how he runs things, getting 1 to leave will be hard. Getting 2 or more to leave, would be abnormal.

We need 1 person to leave to make room for the freshmen coming in. Would need 2 to leave for a portal pick up.

Based on Painter’s history and how he runs things, getting 1 to leave will be hard. Getting 2 or more to leave, would be abnormal.
Appreciate the info - I was thinking maybe Waddell, Berg (and maybe someone else either decommits or transfers).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Loyer can be really good. I could see him having a really good last two years if he puts the work in. I thought some of the calls against him last night were terrible calls. I for one hope he stays! As far as Waddell goes - I like him but don't see him breaking through against the competition for much playing time. Furst is a good guy, I hope he stays. By putting in the work in the off-season almost anyone can have a break-out year.

As for leaving and transferring etc. I think rather than seeing a person leave, you more likely see Harris be a walkon. With Big Dog and NIL funding paying his way to go to Purdue. In the future I could see Purdue giving students NIL funding rather than a scholarship.

Furst is a premed student. He may finish his undergraduate work within 3 years and become a grad student and leave for med school.

Right before Painter signed Harris, he was asked about over signing and he said not to worry about it. So he obviously knew long ago and has a plan. I have to believe he already had a discussion with a player. And unlike Eastern and Haarms, the player that leaves will not be disgruntled or looking for more playing time. It will more likely be someone like Furst who is moving on to even greater academic things.

There is also the real possibility one of the current players will receive a full ride academic scholarship and not require an athletic scholarship. We have a lot of really smart academic players.

As for leaving and transferring etc. I think rather than seeing a person leave, you more likely see Harris be a walkon. With Big Dog and NIL funding paying his way to go to Purdue. In the future I could see Purdue giving students NIL funding rather than a scholarship.

Furst is a premed student. He may finish his undergraduate work within 3 years and become a grad student and leave for med school.

Right before Painter signed Harris, he was asked about over signing and he said not to worry about it. So he obviously knew long ago and has a plan. I have to believe he already had a discussion with a player. And unlike Eastern and Haarms, the player that leaves will not be disgruntled or looking for more playing time. It will more likely be someone like Furst who is moving on to even greater academic things.

There is also the real possibility one of the current players will receive a full ride academic scholarship and not require an athletic scholarship. We have a lot of really smart academic players.
Redshirt players still coincide in roster/scholarship numbers, so redshirting doesn’t solve the over recruiting problem.

So, last year, Painter went to the portal and found a key piece in Jones, who was a very important player the entire year. Probably don't make the FF run without him.

If (and he should because he proved it works) Painter were to use the portal, what position and type of player fulfills a need?

I think the only 2 guaranteed starters for next year are TKR and Smith. Although, it's going to be very interesting to see Smith's game without Edey.

Waddell is leaving for sure.
I hope Loyer and Furst follow.
you said "for sure" and I'm unaware of that situation. Was it an error in your typing or do you know something others don't?

Last edited:
So, last year, Painter went to the portal and found a key piece in Jones, who was a very important player the entire year. Probably don't make the FF run without him.

If (and he should because he proved it works) Painter were to use the portal, what position and type of player fulfills a need?

I think the only 2 guaranteed starters for next year are TKR and Smith. Although, it's going to be very interesting to see Smith's game without Edey.
So if he’s going to the portal multiple people will need to leave (or give up scholarships) because with the recruiting class we are over by 1 already. Who do you think is leaving or that you think Painter needs to encourage to move on?

I might be wrong, but I think a considerable amount of thought will be given to how effective Berg will be. From the glimpses we have seen, I am not sold yet, and not sure on how effective this Jacobsen kid will be at the next level. To your point on Smith, I have been thinking the same thing, and so I wonder if CMP wants to keep his point guard comfortable with an incredibly solid big for him to work off...and if the portal is considered in that regard...a big to be next year's Jones.

Okay, I’ll play. We need Colvin and Cam to show they can handle the ball to alleviate pressure on Braden.

With that, I would go to the portal to get another wing/guard with proven success. Need a shot creator. Second, proven big man. I think we are risking a lot by relying on Berg. Jacobsen is really young and will get eaten alive unless he puts in 30lbs of muscle before October.

Part of me can see a solid lineup with TKR at the 5 like we did with Biggie but TKR needs to improve his FT and 3pt shooting abilities. That can/will create mismatches like we did with Biggie.

It will be a bit different. I can see assists going down due to the nature of the definition and few are going to shoot as high a percent as Zach. I can see his scoring going up. Had there been 3 of him on the perimeter it may have been enough yesterday? As of now, I'll add Fletch to your list of TKR and Braden...hopeful he gains some mass without losing speed so that when he drives and the refs swallow the whistle he doesn't get knocked around. In the final two games his attempt at drawing charges were ignored where he might have got a call previously. Fletch is more borderline though. Cam will have serious review as well. Just too many things we don't know at this time IMO, but your two are the most ingrained and likely starters as we know

Redshirt players still coincide in roster/scholarship numbers, so redshirting doesn’t solve the over recruiting problem.
If I have missed this...my apologies. However, nobody I can recall as stated with certainty that NIL cannot be awarded to a walk-on. Aren't there two walk-on seniors in Carson and Chase?

Between TKR, Furst, Berg, Burgess, and Jacobson, I think that Painter is confident that a solid center rotation will emerge. Nobody is going to come close to matching Edey, but together they should be able to do enough to keep the position from becoming a liability:

I mean since we are doing pure speculation, I would say either additional athleticism or maybe a stretch 4.

None of this would be an issue if we'd dumped Painter and hired Shaka Smart years ago.

If I have missed this...my apologies. However, nobody I can recall as stated with certainty that NIL cannot be awarded to a walk-on. Aren't there two walk-on seniors in Carson and Chase?
No I don’t believe you missed anything. I personally don’t see why that couldn’t be done but have no actual knowledge about the rules. After a brief google search it appears like it may be possible if someone is willing to offer a walk on a NIL deal

1) Hindsight being 20/20, this is probably the worst year to be oversigned. The momentum of coming off a championship game would most likely resonate with someone who can contribute next year.
2) NIL money can go to non scholarship people, but I think they have to pay taxes unlike a scholarship. So unless you're giving someone millions, I can't see many kids want to spend their own money on tuition. Plus you're now basically admitting pay for play which might eventually have repercussions. You have a limited war chest, why wouldn't you just give the good player the scholarship and deal with the 12th man transferring?
3) And as for the notion that because your dad is rich means he'll pay for you to go to school A when school B has a scholarship for you, well, good luck with that approach.

No I don’t believe you missed anything. I personally don’t see why that couldn’t be done but have no actual knowledge about the rules. After a brief google search it appears like it may be possible if someone is willing to offer a walk on a NIL deal
so since you and I cannot see why it couldn't happen...why do so many skirt around the possibility when Matt does not seem worried? BTW, highly unlikely Brian leaves Purdue. I would love to see Mason if he desires at Butler or Notre Dame.

Last edited:
1) Hindsight being 20/20, this is probably the worst year to be oversigned. The momentum of coming off a championship game would most likely resonate with someone who can contribute next year.
2) NIL money can go to non scholarship people, but I think they have to pay taxes unlike a scholarship. So unless you're giving someone millions, I can't see many kids want to spend their own money on tuition. Plus you're now basically admitting pay for play which might eventually have repercussions. You have a limited war chest, why wouldn't you just give the good player the scholarship and deal with the 12th man transferring?
3) And as for the notion that because your dad is rich means he'll pay for you to go to school A when school B has a scholarship for you, well, good luck with that approach.
I understand 1. 2 is simply a mathematical calculation particularly since promises may have already been made. 3)Brian isn't going anywhere and Matt is not rich

I believe your assessment of Furst is correct. It would be foolish to transfer and risk losing credits towards med school or the influence that a Purdue education would bring to his application process. Basketball is likely a secondary priority at this point for him. I wish him only the best going forward.

Reactions: drewjin
I understand 1. 2 is simply a mathematical calculation particularly since promises may have already been made. 3)Brian isn't going anywhere and Matt is not rich
I suspect 3) is not relayed to Waddell but Big's comments about Harris using Big Dog's $$$ to pay for school to free up a scholly. Don't see it. Lots of other programs would offer him in a minute before Dad paid for Purdue. Mostly, just Big's talking to himself, as usual.

Reactions: BBG
I believe your assessment of Furst is correct. It would be foolish to transfer and risk losing credits towards med school or the influence that a Purdue education would bring to his application process. Basketball is likely a secondary priority at this point for him. I wish him only the best going forward.
How do you know if he doesn’t have the credits to graduate now? I mean these kids are basically on campus all year so if he was doing classes all summer, not out of the realm of possibility.

I have no knowledge if he does, but Luke Goode is the same class as him and Goode did senior night at Illinois because he had the credits to graduate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT