ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Tracker (2023-2024 Cycle)

Outside of maybe Brothers and Kaltenberger, there's not much in the way of loss here. Several of these guys seldom saw the field. Rice couldn't stay healthy for 4 years. I had assumed TJ was done anyway. Moon seemed to have some good pedigree during the recruiting process, but never played.

Outside of maybe Brothers and Kaltenberger, there's not much in the way of loss here. Several of these guys seldom saw the field. Rice couldn't stay healthy for 4 years. I had assumed TJ was done anyway. Moon seemed to have some good pedigree during the recruiting process, but never played.
Sydnor was the biggest loss by far. Kalt was a good backup and in regards to OC, for every good play he made, he made 2 bad ones

Brothers gets horrendous pff grades because he’s a coverage/assignment blowing machine. Indiana was trying the same concepts that had Shrader and mordecai running wide open for days and it was getting sniffed out. Because as much as Yanni doesn’t have brothers talent, he rarely just blows a coverage or a run fit

We are at 10 already and counting.

I think this is going to be a revolving door each year with us with the portal. The good thing no major impact players yet.

We are at 10 already and counting.

I think this is going to be a revolving door each year with us with the portal. The good thing no major impact players yet.
I think most schools will have this kind of revolving door. I'd imagine the players most likely to transfer are ones who are marginally on the two deeps or who see opportunities for playing time somewhere else (such as Card).

Purdue wide receiver Deion Burks to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal after leading the Boilermakers with 629 yard and 7 touchdowns in 2023.

All the other guys who left weren't very surprising. Thought if we lost someone major, especially at WR, it would be Yaseen. This one stings.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
All the other guys who left weren't very surprising. Thought if we lost someone major, especially at WR, it would be Yaseen. This one stings.
He wasn’t even antavian Edison or greg Orton productive. He probably wanted money or didn’t want to be in the slot which is where he was going.

Reactions: krf3632
He wasn’t even antavian Edison or greg Orton productive. He probably wanted money or didn’t want to be in the slot which is where he was going.
Still the best reciever in a WR room with very limited production and separation ability. I'd assume with most surprise attrition guys, it is likely money. But agree the slot was the best place for him.

Still the best reciever in a WR room with very limited production and separation ability. I'd assume with most surprise attrition guys, it is likely money. But agree the slot was the best place for him.
But even in the slot he wasn’t shifty. He was stiff. What you want is a guy with Sheffield’s agility and Burks speed. He was the best guy in a room where new coaches probably had to give it a year to see how bad it was.

They got everyone in the receiver room to play better than they did in 2022, most significantly better, but the group left a lot to be desired. Now, instead of taking the reigns after a January first bowl game when a lot of the musical chairs are filled, they have a chance to fill up first.

Reactions: Schnelk
Did you guys here Walters post game on Burks? Mentioned the long pass late and how he for some reason jumped into the air to catch it and went to the ground. Walters said something along the lines of yeah he could've just caught it and ran into the end zone, but he drops it every time in practice so he just wanted to be sure to secure it lol

• Wow
Reactions: Schnelk
But even in the slot he wasn’t shifty. He was stiff. What you want is a guy with Sheffield’s agility and Burks speed. He was the best guy in a room where new coaches probably had to give it a year to see how bad it was.

They got everyone in the receiver room to play better than they did in 2022, most significantly better, but the group left a lot to be desired. Now, instead of taking the reigns after a January first bowl game when a lot of the musical chairs are filled, they have a chance to fill up first.
I agree, as a guy that was heralded for his freakish athletic ability, even he struggled with separation. Also didn't feel like he tracked deep balls very well which is why he seemed better suited for the slot to me.

My hope is that Edrine comes back healthy and is as good as advertised, Tibbs takes a step forward and shows what he did in the preseason practice videos, and our TE room comes in healthy this fall. Add in a couple quality WR transfers (and I'm also buying the no bowl game being a good thing) and our passing game feels solid...then we can focus on the real issue: the offensive line.

I agree, as a guy that was heralded for his freakish athletic ability, even he struggled with separation. Also didn't feel like he tracked deep balls very well which is why he seemed better suited for the slot to me.

My hope is that Edrine comes back healthy and is as good as advertised, Tibbs takes a step forward and shows what he did in the preseason practice videos, and our TE room comes in healthy this fall. Add in a couple quality WR transfers (and I'm also buying the no bowl game being a good thing) and our passing game feels solid...then we can focus on the real issue: the offensive line.
A couple things here.

1) I hear Harrell likes to go with tall fast receivers all across the front, even in the slot

2) Purdue has multiple receivers rated 5.6 or higher coming in

3) Luke Williams may stay at receiver or play DB. Koy beasley may play receiver if he doesn’t start on defense. He has serious electricity. Like Rondale Moore type burst

A couple things here.

1) I hear Harrell likes to go with tall fast receivers all across the front, even in the slot

3) Luke Williams may stay at receiver or play DB. Koy beasley may play receiver if he doesn’t start on defense. He has serious electricity. Like Rondale Moore type burst
I wouldn't mind seeing what Dixon-Veal could do in the slot instead of the outside, but that may have just been due to the available personnel. Think he needs to improve on some things, but thought there could be some decent talent there. Did someone say tall recievers? Donovan McCulley, come on down...

If our incoming freshman show an ounce of what Thieneman showed, I'm all for playing them. Really excited about Henry and Beasley (no matter which position he plays).

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Looking at our mass exodus of receivers, I have to believe there is more to it than just losing. Maybe they didn’t like our offense. Maybe they didn’t like. card. And an option offense. Maybe they didn’t like the coach.

I highly doubt it’s about the NIL and being paid more to play elsewhere. I doubt any of these players is going to generate much interest from any team like OSU or Mich or usc or Texas A&M that gives out money. I also doubt any of these players are going to end up in a better program than Purdue.

When I see Sheffield, Rice and Burke all leave in the same week, I have to believe its more related to the coach and the system he plans on running!

Purdue wide receiver Deion Burks to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal after leading the Boilermakers with 629 yard and 7 touchdowns in 2023.

Unless he goes to louisville and Brohm uses him as the Moore type I dont see how he's in a better situation next year at least from a productivity stand point.

The other board apparently has a current player alleging Walter's only wants "SEC type" WRs.

Since the SEC sends significantly more players to the NFL than any other league, I think we will be OK if we get "SEC type" players lol

With so many players coming and going using the portal, why even bother redshirting players? They redshirt and they leave! Just sign someone in the portal. Who already has 2 years in and you don’t have to worry about developing them!

A couple things here.

Doesn't everyone want tall fast receivers across the board? Lol

Kidding aside, I'm glad you mentioned it because it seems like Harrell would like bigger targets to throw to downfield.

Reactions: NVboiler
The other board apparently has a current player alleging Walter's only wants "SEC type" WRs.

Since the SEC sends significantly more players to the NFL than any other league, I think we will be OK if we get "SEC type" players lol
Hoping this is what Walters goes after.

Reactions: NVboiler
Did you guys hear Walters post game on Burks? Mentioned the long pass late and how he for some reason jumped into the air to catch it and went to the ground. Walters said something along the lines of yeah he could've just caught it and ran into the end zone, but he drops it every time in practice so he just wanted to be sure to secure it lol
Walters wasn’t wrong, I thought the same thing! Easy walk in touchdown if he stays on his feet.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
He was still a decent player. He wasn't a number one but would have been nice to keep him in there. IF we get better receivers no biggie, if we don't, it's a hit for sure.

He was still a decent player. He wasn't a number one but would have been nice to keep him in there. IF we get better receivers no biggie, if we don't, it's a hit for sure.
Here’s the thing. If I have finite dollars internally and externally.. and I have enough to make Scourton, Thienemann, Mbow, Jenkins and Hartwig (if they don’t declare) happy.. then and only then do I start handing it out to someone else. They probably barely have that if that.

No, he wasn't wrong. That comment could have rubbed him the wrong way though lol
I agree, it looked pretty funny on replay, but I bet Burks was like WTF coach?? I laughed when he said it for sure and wondered if he would be back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT