ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Tracker (2023-2024 Cycle)

Looking at our mass exodus of receivers, I have to believe there is more to it than just losing. Maybe they didn’t like our offense. Maybe they didn’t like. card. And an option offense. Maybe they didn’t like the coach.

I highly doubt it’s about the NIL and being paid more to play elsewhere. I doubt any of these players is going to generate much interest from any team like OSU or Mich or usc or Texas A&M that gives out money. I also doubt any of these players are going to end up in a better program than Purdue.

When I see Sheffield, Rice and Burke all leave in the same week, I have to believe its more related to the coach and the system he plans on running!
you can add Coupe DeVille to your list

I hoped that someone coming from as far away as Louisiana would have seen the field and done better. But such a player comes here and is never heard of again!
hoping for Pitre to come around, he's from that state and was somewhat of a highly rated recruit

Here’s the thing. If I have finite dollars internally and externally.. and I have enough to make Scourton, Thienemann, Mbow, Jenkins and Hartwig (if they don’t declare) happy.. then and only then do I start handing it out to someone else. They probably barely have that if that.
You're making the assumption it's all about NIL for dollars that haven't been spent yet and certainly not communicated to the players involved.

Yes NIL is part of the problem, but I also don't see another team breaking any banks guaranteed for Burks so unless someone broke rules and told him come to us and we will give you a nice chunk of money, I'm guessing he left for a chance at an offense he thinks will showcase him more. He's a confident dude, he may think he has NFL talent. I don't, but my opinion doesn't matter.

Again, it's a loss but if we replace him and others with better players then no biggie. If we don't, one of our biggest problems is worse.

Reactions: Beorik
You're making the assumption it's all about NIL for dollars that haven't been spent yet and certainly not communicated to the players involved.

Yes NIL is part of the problem, but I also don't see another team breaking any banks guaranteed for Burks so unless someone broke rules and told him come to us and we will give you a nice chunk of money, I'm guessing he left for a chance at an offense he thinks will showcase him more. He's a confident dude, he may think he has NFL talent. I don't, but my opinion doesn't matter.

Again, it's a loss but if we replace him and others with better players then no biggie. If we don't, one of our biggest problems is worse.
He thinks he can get money. Dub said he was hearing nil

The other board apparently has a current player alleging Walter's only wants "SEC type" WRs.

Since the SEC sends significantly more players to the NFL than any other league, I think we will be OK if we get "SEC type" players lol
I don't see a 4-8 big tenteen team with almost zero football NIL money out competing SEC programs with deep NIL wallets for "SEC type" receivers. I just don't see that plan working out well.

Reactions: pboiler18
This talk about tall SEC type receivers. Sure, sign me up to see that. I guess we are going to have 2 to 3 Justin Jeffersons next year. Still a problem though, besides we won’t get Justin Jefferson WR types, we cannot throw deep downfield if our QB doesn’t have time to let the play develop. Put me down for some SEC type OL too.

Reactions: pboiler18
This talk about tall SEC type receivers. Sure, sign me up to see that. I guess we are going to have 2 to 3 Justin Jeffersons next year. Still a problem though, besides we won’t get Justin Jefferson WR types, we cannot throw deep downfield if our QB doesn’t have time to let the play develop. Put me down for some SEC type OL too.

That was just passed along - and no we won't get 3 Justin Jeffersons (are there even 3 receivers in the NFL as good as JJ?), but we will get more guys with the physical profile of Elijah Canion, hopefully just better players.

Would love some better OL, for sure and don't need to go to SEC country for that. I believe OSU, Notre Dame, and Iowa have the most OL in the NFL right now (stat could be a few years old).

One (hopefully) good thing is Purdue is cranking out larger and larger graduating classes. Might take a little time but hopefully that helps the NIL pot.

Very true. These kids get influence from family and friends that the grass will be greener on the other side instead of putting in the work to better the situation where they are at. They find out too late that it is not what they thought.
Bingo!

Last edited:
Reactions: Murv 3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT