ADVERTISEMENT

Time for Heide to start

It's going to be interesting next season and beyond as these recruits come in and perhaps force a large change in our collective mindset about how things work with Purdue hoops.
In the past if a guy played as a freshman he was probably going to be 4 year starter and probably have a long full career. If he started his first two years it would likely be a safe assumption he'll be a starter as long as he's here.
I think many of us have looked at Braden/Fletch as 2 4 year starters but Fletch is going to have an awful lot of competition for pt next season if the rookies pan out. He's got to get stronger while losing no quickness I think.
Not like he's going to the bench but he might not get the minutes to be the all timer that some of us thought a year ago.
Or he might go for 25
Not putting that past him either. :)

It's going to be interesting next season and beyond as these recruits come in and perhaps force a large change in our collective mindset about how things work with Purdue hoops.
In the past if a guy played as a freshman he was probably going to be 4 year starter and probably have a long full career. If he started his first two years it would likely be a safe assumption he'll be a starter as long as he's here.
I think many of us have looked at Braden/Fletch as 2 4 year starters but Fletch is going to have an awful lot of competition for pt next season if the rookies pan out. He's got to get stronger while losing no quickness I think.
Not like he's going to the bench but he might not get the minutes to be the all timer that some of us thought a year ago.
Or he might go for 25
Not putting that past him either. :)
Yep, good “problem “ to have.

I'm fine as long as coaches recognize during the game not afterwards that we aren't getting scorers (Colvin &/or Heide) in the game and finding them. Colvin got a few minutes at OSU and both Smith and Loyer ignored him. As another poster mentioned, we have "microwaves" on the bench. They need to be used when called upon. This Team is to good and too deep not to accomplish their goals.

So a successful season is NOT losing to a double digit seed in the NCAA?

Have you looked into rooting for IU ?
When/if you’re a top notch program that’s trying to compete for titles? Absolutely.

When you’re a top 3 seed? Absolutely.

When you have the back to back NPOY? Absolutely.

When you have a lottery pick in Ivey and get gifted a path to the E8 and still come up short? Absolutely.

Purdue fans can use every excuse in the book. At some point, you gotta get the job done and make a Final Four.

Last edited:
Loyer was one of the few players that showed up vs fdu....
Great! Still doesn’t change that he’s physically and athletically limited and that he’s been struggling quite a bit.

Not saying he shouldn’t play. Purdue will need Loyer, but Heide has earned more mins.

Will be interesting to see what CMP does.

Last edited:
Heide should play more and we will see if he can do well again. If it is a blowout I’d like to see Colvin in sooner than the last five minutes. As for incoming frosh let’s see how they do against D-1 teams before we say they will be taking over for this years starters. That was said of Colvin.

Heide should play more and we will see if he can do well again. If it is a blowout I’d like to see Colvin in sooner than the last five minutes. As for incoming frosh let’s see how they do against D-1 teams before we say they will be taking over for this years starters. That was said of Colvin.
good post

Nah, you’re purposely being difficult. Purdue and CMP have a narrative of coming up short in March for a reason.

You can deny that all you want.
Making a sweet sixteen is a successful result - PERIOD - no matter who you play on the way there… and anyone who says otherwise is “purposely being difficult”.

Making a sweet sixteen is a successful result - PERIOD - no matter who you play on the way there… and anyone who says otherwise is “purposely being difficult”.
Gotta disagree.

When you’ve been top 3 all year it’s final 4 or bust IMo. I understand stuff happens and I’m not the shit on Painter guy like everybody is when we get knocked out but this year not making the Final 4 would be a bad coaching job IMo.

When/if you’re a top notch program that’s trying to compete for titles? Absolutely.

When you’re a top 3 seed? Absolutely.

When you have the back to back NPOY? Absolutely.

When you have a lottery pick in Ivey and get gifted a path to the E8 and still come up short? Absolutely.

Purdue fans can use every excuse in the book. At some point, you gotta get the job done and make a Final Four.
So, making an Elite 8 isn’t a good result if you don’t beat a top 15 team on your way there?

Gotta disagree.

When you’ve been top 3 all year it’s final 4 or bust IMo. I understand stuff happens and I’m not the shit on Painter guy like everybody is when we get knocked out but this year not making the Final 4 would be a bad coaching job IMo.
I personally don’t see us as a top 5 team, talent wise. I could easily see us losing to a team like UK in the sweet sixteen, or to a Duke in the elite 8, and I would be disappointed but not mad or surprised.

Those brand new teams take longer to gel, whereas our team was pretty close to its ceiling in November, because the whole squad came back intact.

Also - how many coaches would have made 5 out of the last 7 sweet sixteens, if we make it this year ?

What if Purdue is not really a top 10 team, and we have been overrated and a media darling for the past 10 years. And we get our high ratings because the people doing the voting know we’re a clean program and they just like to vote for us?

Maybe our players are over achievers playing for Painter. And all of our wins are basically upsets?

Over the past decade, Purdue really hasn’t produced many NBA stars. I look at the North Carolina team that Jordon was on and those UCLA teams. Those teams had a lot of talent besides just one player.

Our recruiting ranking has always been somewhere between 15-30. Maybe that should be our true ranking over what you see in the weekly poles.

If Purdue was ranked somewhere between 15-20, would people still be upset if they didn’t make the final 4?

I’ve said Many times. Painter. Has maximized the potential of his players. If you are a fan of McDonalds, you will notice none of Purdue’s players are deemed good enough to play in that game.

Maybe, just maybe, rather than getting your hopes and expectations up too high, you should accept the fact that this team plays a lot better than their talent level would ever predict. There must be a reason for that.

Loyer vs Heide vs Myles.

Since Myles didn’t play today, there must be something or a lot of things he’s not doing in practice. He is definitely not receiving much playing time. Painter is not showing any confidence in him.

After having an awesome game, Heide played very little today and didn’t do much in the time he had. It sure doesn’t look as if Painter has much confidence in him either in close games.

As for Loyer. I’m unsure what he did today to keep his starting job.

It sure looks like Painter is going to go with Loyer down the stretch. I’m not going to say if that’s a good or bad decision. But that’s the way it sure looks. Maybe next year will be different.

I personally don’t see us as a top 5 team, talent wise. I could easily see us losing to a team like UK in the sweet sixteen, or to a Duke in the elite 8, and I would be disappointed but not mad or surprised.

Those brand new teams take longer to gel, whereas our team was pretty close to its ceiling in November, because the whole squad came back intact.

Also - how many coaches would have made 5 out of the last 7 sweet sixteens, if we make it this year ?

WAS When Loyer plays well we are a top 5 team.

NOW Luckily for Purdue it's... if Loyer OR Heide plays well we are a top 5 team

The rest of the starters seem relatively consistent good to great play as long as TOs are in check.

Hopefully Painter’s team doesn’t lose to a double digit seed again. We shall see. I’m sure you’ll have another defense of Painter as he can do no wrong in your eyes.
If they do lose, I'm sure you'll be here telling everyone how he lost because he was stubborn and didn't do what you thought he should have done.

If they do lose, I'm sure you'll be here telling everyone how he lost because he was stubborn and didn't do what you thought he should have done.
Hopefully not! And if they do lose, I'm sure you'll be defending CMP in every which way! Hopefully CMP proves me wrong and I can eat a big helping of crow :)

Hopefully not! And if they do lose, I'm sure you'll be defending CMP in every which way! Hopefully CMP proves me wrong and I can eat a big helping of crow :)
Not defending him. Just trying to understand your credentials that justifies you knowing the formula for NCAA success, and you know Painter is doing it all wrong.

Not defending him. Just trying to understand your credentials that justifies you knowing the formula for NCAA success, and you know Painter is doing it all wrong.
I'm just a fan, man. Just a human, like Painter.

I never said "Painter is doing it all wrong." I just disagree with some of his tactics.

Just like Gonzaga fans probably disagree with Mark Few for not playing Hunter Sallis, who is now starring at Wake Forest. It happens. Coaches are fallible, even really good coaches like Few and Painter.

With the logjam we will have for the 2 and 3 spots next year I will be pleasantly surprise if Colvin returns . After another DNP coaches decision he gone

Reactions: pboiler18
If you really think Loyer played well enough to log 25 minutes today you are wearing your Loyer goggles.
His best shot in February came towards under the ten min mark (I think?) where he dribbled inside the 3 and go to almost the left elbow and got into his shooting motion and it was smooth and pure. Need more of that in the next 3 games to get ready for March. If not, he should play closer to 20 and Cam should get bumped to 20 for sure (I see he was at 19 today). So I’d give Colvin run of 3-8 mins in the next 3 games…especially if we wrap up the B1G.

Although Heide didn't score well today, if you watched him, came in and moved well without the ball. Made himself harder to guard than some. Nice to see he understands movement is important in the CMP offense. Hope he continues his good play as it gives us great & sometimes needed options.
Loved that he was the first off the bench (I believe) in second half and closed out the game (Loyer came in at the end on offense for FTs—at least I assume that’s why he came in)

Loyer vs Heide vs Myles.

Since Myles didn’t play today, there must be something or a lot of things he’s not doing in practice. He is definitely not receiving much playing time. Painter is not showing any confidence in him.

After having an awesome game, Heide played very little today and didn’t do much in the time he had. It sure doesn’t look as if Painter has much confidence in him either in close games.

As for Loyer. I’m unsure what he did today to keep his starting job.

It sure looks like Painter is going to go with Loyer down the stretch. I’m not going to say if that’s a good or bad decision. But that’s the way it sure looks. Maybe next year will be different.
Where would we give Myles mins? Loyers? I guess you give Myles 5-8 and sketch gets 17-20?

With the logjam we will have for the 2 and 3 spots next year I will be pleasantly surprise if Colvin returns . After another DNP coaches decision he gone
Hopefully he is smart enough to work thru his issues between him getting playing time and gets better and is ready to contribute next year.

Had a friend watch the game with me today and who doesn't really follow , Purdue, asked him to watch Loyer and Heide specifically , he said why does that guy get so much playing time , his defense is terrible and his offense isn't much better.. 🤔 were moving into the valley of the shadow of death ....we were solders, this tournament is this team chance , Edeys team to make a run , we need to be raising our game at all positions right now and Loyers not even at the hotel or game IMO .

Had a friend watch the game with me today and who doesn't really follow , Purdue, asked him to watch Loyer and Heide specifically , he said why does that guy get so much playing time , his defense is terrible and his offense isn't much better.. 🤔
wonder what Loyer's plus/minus was today

Had a friend watch the game with me today and who doesn't really follow , Purdue, asked him to watch Loyer and Heide specifically , he said why does that guy get so much playing time , his defense is terrible and his offense isn't much better.. 🤔 were moving into the valley of the shadow of death ....we were solders, this tournament is this team , Edeys team to make a run , we need to be raising our game at all positions right now and Loyers not even at the hotel or game IMO .
I bet that guy is a basketball savant.

Today Heide got 19 mins and Loyer got 24. Loyer started slow , but scored 9 points. Listening to some here, it sounded like Heide hardly played. not sure Cam performed any better than Loyer to earn more minutes. In 19 mins Cam got a layup on a nice pass from Braden and only found one other shot , a 3 pointer, that he missed badly.

Had a friend watch the game with me today and who doesn't really follow , Purdue, asked him to watch Loyer and Heide specifically , he said why does that guy get so much playing time , his defense is terrible and his offense isn't much better.. 🤔 were moving into the valley of the shadow of death ....we were solders, this tournament is this team chance , Edeys team to make a run , we need to be raising our game at all positions right now and Loyers not even at the hotel or game IMO .
Big if true!

+ vs - just means you were in the game when your TEAM out scores your opponent. Doesn’t necessarily mean he was the difference. Look we all know Loyer is gonna play 25 minutes a game cause that’s what Painter wants, and we as Purdue fans want him to play and shoot better but he just doesn’t deserve all those minutes. I’m saying 15 per game

I think that a big thing that Painter likes about Loyer is his decision making. I think that Painter will be patient with this one. I felt like Loyer appeared to be more confident in the second half against Michigan, so hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

From yesterday, it appears that Heide is getting more minutes, but that they are coming from Morton rather than Loyer.

Actually stay with his man on defense and on offense moved better and attacked boards after a shot ....
Stay with his man on defense, does that mean he was in proper help position? Attacked boards? He got 2 rebounds. Moving better on offense, the 1 shot he made, he did move well but that was in transition. On offense he was open for 1 shot in his 19 minutes.

Reactions: boilerzz
Today Heide got 19 mins and Loyer got 24. Loyer started slow , but scored 9 points. Listening to some here, it sounded like Heide hardly played. not sure Cam performed any better than Loyer to earn more minutes. In 19 mins Cam got a layup on a nice pass from Braden and only found one other shot , a 3 pointer, that he missed badly.
I’d always have Heide in when Zach is out. Need all rebounders on deck for those minutes.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT