ADVERTISEMENT

Throw some names for coaches next year….

There are only three viable conferences that have the money and a clear paths to the playoffs,and Purdue is a member of one of those three.
Purdue is a better job than it was 7 years ago......
You do realize there are 5 automatic bids for five different conferences in the playoffs, right? And the other seven are based on rankings. Nothing to do with conferences.
That might change slightly, maybe it’s 4 conferences, but I don’t expect it will be much different.

I'd seriously consider either the UF or FSU coach if they get fired.
HC experience at schools with big time expectations, experience coaching in big games, recruiting against the big boys, etc.

I'd seriously consider either the UF or FSU coach if they get fired.
HC experience at schools with big time expectations, experience coaching in big games, recruiting against the big boys, etc.
don't like Napier but would take Norvell , he's improved every team he's been at except for FSU

the last time you posted something like this, a bold poster posted an original thought and said Miles might be a good choice. and you people ragged on him for about 4 years about how bad of a choice Miles would be. So why should anybody want to suggest a name in the this forum again ? all you do is rag on people who you disagree with. you do the same thing in the political or what it is called forum. some of you just love to rag on others.

my choice last time was Jim Tressel. at the time, a school signing him had to show just cause. My just cause was because i Just wanted to win. Sure he violated a few rules. But he was a very good recruiter, and his teams won. that's good enough for me.

and to think we almost hired that guy who likes to row his boat.

the last time you posted something like this, a bold poster posted an original thought and said Miles might be a good choice. and you people ragged on him for about 4 years about how bad of a choice Miles would be. So why should anybody want to suggest a name in the this forum again ? all you do is rag on people who you disagree with. you do the same thing in the political or what it is called forum. some of you just love to rag on others.

my choice last time was Jim Tressel. at the time, a school signing him had to show just cause. My just cause was because i Just wanted to win. Sure he violated a few rules. But he was a very good recruiter, and his teams won. that's good enough for me.

Fleck wasn't coming to Purdue, I don't care for the guy but he has done a pretty good job up there. I like the fact that he always has big linemen similar to the Wisconsin model

W

Word is that Norvell has a toxic locker room due to some knucklehead transfers.......
heard that too, but if he'd ever be available after a yr or two Purdue would be a nice place to reboot ones career. He's an offense oriented coach that improved ASU, Pitt, and Memphis stats

Reactions: bonefish1

Lmfao! Les miles! That was a terrible suggestion! He got blackballed from coaching, he was a cheater, liar, thug! He embezzled money from a children’s hospital! He got hired by his buddy at Kansas and went 0-9 his second season.

Same with tressel he was damaged goods

You probably wanted George OLeary who got fired before his first game at Notre dame for a totally fabricated resume.

Heck you would have advocated for JoePa!

And we got the way better hire in brohm than fleck mcduechebag. You really have a thing for shady guys with no principals…

heard that too, but if he'd ever be available after a yr or two Purdue would be a nice place to reboot ones career. He's an offense oriented coach that improved ASU, Pitt, and Memphis stats
Purdue would be a good place for someone to rebuild a career and reputation. After this debacle at FSU, when he gets fired (and he will), I doubt any contender type programs would take a risk. But, a program like Purdue that can win under the right circumstances but with a much thinner margin for error, might be a great landing spot.

Reactions: Bippus33
Purdue would be a good place for someone to rebuild a career and reputation. After this debacle at FSU, when he gets fired (and he will), I doubt any contender type programs would take a risk. But, a program like Purdue that can win under the right circumstances but with a much thinner margin for error, might be a great landing spot.
As I posted in another thread, I think we should go after Jon Gruden. He needs us as much as we need him. We need to make a splash, and he needs a fresh start.

Lmfao! Les miles! That was a terrible suggestion! He got blackballed from coaching, he was a cheater, liar, thug! He embezzled money from a children’s hospital! He got hired by his buddy at Kansas and went 0-9 his second season.

You probably wanted George OLeary who got fired before his first game at Notre dame for a totally fabricated resume.

And we got the way better hire in brohm than fleck mcduechebag. You really have a thing for shady guys with no principals…
And you were as happy as pig in poop with Hazell. And Brohm....how'd that work out for Louisville.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18

Brohm better than Fleck? At least he's still at Minny and has done quite well. He has a career record of 80-56 and is 50-34 at Minnesota. In seven years, Fleck has established himself as one of the most successful coaches ever to lead the Minnesota program. Fleck is fifth in program history for overall wins (50), Big Ten wins (29) and games coached (84). AND SO FAR, HE'S BEEN A WHOLE LOT MORE LOYAL THAT BROHM

Brohm better than Fleck? At least he's still at Minny and has done quite well. He has a career record of 80-56 and is 50-34 at Minnesota. In seven years, Fleck has established himself as one of the most successful coaches ever to lead the Minnesota program. Fleck is fifth in program history for overall wins (50), Big Ten wins (29) and games coached (84). AND SO FAR, HE'S BEEN A WHOLE LOT MORE LOYAL THAT BROHM
More loyal? He reneged on CMU and rumors are (and from other coaches not internet rumors) all those jobs he was rumored to be going after like UCLA he was legitimately trying to get out of minny. He’s not loyal he’s just hit a ceiling and can’t move on. He also reportedly cheated on his wife, so much for loyal. He had one good year (2019). The deuchebag makes his team clap when he walks into the room…

I’d rather the 6 years of brohm than fleck.

Norvell has proven a lot at Memphis and until this year, FSU. He got them to the brink of the CFP last year at #5. When he took over for Taggert, the Noles were a mess. I believe his current buyout is something ridiculous, so he may live to see another season. If PU got him, a very good hire.

Napier at UF may be gone by the time I finish typing this post. IDK that he’s the answer anywhere just how bad he’s been with the Gators.

How ‘bout Chryst?

Finally, there is another potential candidate out there. A former BT and National COY available. We’ve all heard the slogan “Tippecanoe and Tyler too.” Well, this guy wants it known to Boiler fans that he’s “LEO and Ready to go!” 😉

Who would you like as our next coach?
I want someone that's been a head coach...3 of our last 4 have been Assts!! That being said....unless we are committed to spending money on players, no really good coaches will come here! Unfortunately IU opened the check book with Cignetti to bring in players( proven head coach that's a winner). Land scape has changed....either ya spend or ur a cellar dweller.

Reactions: Bippus33
Norvell has proven a lot at Memphis and until this year, FSU. He got them to the brink of the CFP last year at #5. When he took over for Taggert, the Noles were a mess. I believe his current buyout is something ridiculous, so he may live to see another season. If PU got him, a very good hire.

Napier at UF may be gone by the time I finish typing this post. IDK that he’s the answer anywhere just how bad he’s been with the Gators.

How ‘bout Chryst?

Finally, there is another potential candidate out there. A former BT and National COY available. We’ve all heard the slogan “Tippecanoe and Tyler too.” Well, this guy wants it known to Boiler fans that he’s “LEO and Ready to go!” 😉
You lost me on the hints at the end. Just asking who the guy is?

I don’t think it was a DEI hire. As you acknowledged, I didnt say that.

Just overwhelmingly curious as to why anybody thought bringing him in was a good call. He doesn’t come off as intelligent. His teams certainly dont play that way either.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy. He’s charismatic. He seemingly wants to be here. Those are positive qualities for sure but dont carry the day when you can’t coach football and that’s what you’re here to do.
It's not the DEI comment that people should be upset about. The fact is Purdue hired a guy with no head coaching experience that no other P-5 school would have hired. The head coach had did nothing in year 1 to create any excitement about the program. Yes, ticket sales are up but the intriguing schedule created that excitement with many fans still high off last years Final Four appearance in basketball. Coming into week two following an off week, the team looked completely lost and outmatched in a measuring stick game against ND. Instead of supporting or defending DEI, Purdue fans should be pissed. The guy at the top must change a lot ASAP. Tomorrow night maybe the last winnable game this season, which will determine

Personally, I think Walters is going to be a good to great coach. He has an "it" factor. I'm not certain about Kane as the best DC and I have a declining confidence in Harrell as the OC. They are all young guys which if part of the issue. They will find success it's matter of when and where.

Personally, I think Walters is going to be a good to great coach. He has an "it" factor. I'm not certain about Kane as the best DC and I have a declining confidence in Harrell as the OC. They are all young guys which if part of the issue. They will find success it's matter of when and where.
Walters is a great recruiter.

Walters hasn’t proven he can get a team prepared and ready to play. His scheme hasn’t worked and was made worse last week by a poor effort by his players.

He has good attributes but will not be successful here if he does not adjust. Making Jenkins a MLB was a massive mistake.

Harrell hasn’t had success relative to his talent level yet at any spot he’s been. To his credit his unit isn’t as bad as the defense but it hasn’t been much better at times either.

Not convinced Walters ever has success as an HC or Harrell ever has success as a OC. This isn’t a Purdue problem. This is a Walters and Harrell problem right now.

Walters hasn’t proven he can get a team prepared and ready to play. His scheme hasn’t worked and was made worse last week by a poor effort by his players.

He has good attributes but will not be successful here if he does not adjust. Making Jenkins a MLB was a massive mistake.

Harrell hasn’t had success relative to his talent level yet at any spot he’s been. To his credit his unit isn’t as bad as the defense but it hasn’t been much better at times either.

Not convinced Walters ever has success as an HC or Harrell ever has success as a OC. This isn’t a Purdue problem. This is a Walters and Harrell problem right now.
agree on the point on jenkins - i think that was more about keeping him at Purdue. I"d expect he'll be a LB/DE hybrid in the next couple weeks. The LB group is a big week spot on d - no doubt. Purdue needs a legit DC coordinator / LB recruiter. Harrell could be good - too early to tell from my perspective.

agree on the point on jenkins - i think that was more about keeping him at Purdue. I"d expect he'll be a LB/DE hybrid in the next couple weeks. The LB group is a big week spot on d - no doubt. Purdue needs a legit DC coordinator / LB recruiter. Harrell could be good - too early to tell from my perspective.
Hard to anoint a guy a success like Harrell when he can’t recognize that some counter, draw or screen action would slow down the ND defense…

Last edited:

Pretty good post. I can respect this. Only quibble I have here is that Harrell has a pretty good resume imo. Yes he had baller WRs USC but he got the ball to them with a pretty meh QB and they scored plenty. The USC issues cannot possibly be blamed on him. At WVU, idk, but I think by the numbers they were better on offense. Last year here the offense had many issues, but I hesitate to blame that on the OC. We couldn’t get 1 yard when the defense knew that’s all we wanted, and I think that’s deeper than the OC. Otherwise he was at the least decent for us. But he was also just as deer in headlights dead as the players last week and I’m already on record saying that. But I still think Harrell is an asset for us. Kane, the other hand, I think may be an issue. May be best for Walters to not have a yes man at DC

Pretty good post. I can respect this. Only quibble I have here is that Harrell has a pretty good resume imo. Yes he had baller WRs USC but he got the ball to them with a pretty meh QB and they scored plenty. The USC issues cannot possibly be blamed on him. At WVU, idk, but I think by the numbers they were better on offense. Last year here the offense had many issues, but I hesitate to blame that on the OC. We couldn’t get 1 yard when the defense knew that’s all we wanted, and I think that’s deeper than the OC. Otherwise he was at the least decent for us. But he was also just as deer in headlights dead as the players last week and I’m already on record saying that. But I still think Harrell is an asset for us. Kane, the other hand, I think may be an issue. May be best for Walters to not have a yes man at DC
Harrell isn’t as bad as Kane but I don’t think he’s super flexible…I don’t think he does great at adapting in game.

Most of my posts are pretty fair IMO. Some find me annoying but I feel I’ve called balls and strikes pretty fair on this coach.

I think a decent coach could take this roster and win 6-7 this year. A team takes on the personality of its HC. We were weak, unmotivated and undisciplined last Saturday. It’s not like that was the first time we had seen that from the team while Walters has been here.

I think Harrell is average as best and Kane is running a bad scheme from a bad edict from his boss. While Walters is here we ARE that scheme and we are likely incredibly unsuccessful on D because of it. He can send Kane on his way but he’s just going to make the next guy run the same bad D as well. The D is on Walters.

Hard to anoint a guy a success like Harrell when he can’t recognize that some counter, draw or screen action would slow down the ND defense…
is it a talent issue - that's what I wonder? Does Purdue have play makers to run this offense? there is a pretty good talent gap between ND and Purdue.

is it a talent issue - that's what I wonder? Does Purdue have play makers to run this offense? there is a pretty good talent gap between ND and Purdue.
The bigger question to me is if we have the talent to be successful in this Defense. The scheme is so bad I don’t think Alabama has the talent to run this defense.

On offense…on paper the line is better than Brohms that won the West. Why could we only muster 160 yards of offense. NDs defense is good but it’s not that good.

WRs were overhyped IMo but TE is a strength, Card is a better than average QB and Mock and Love aren’t bad RBs. I think there is a disconnect between what we have and the results we saw on Saturday. That’s 1000% on coaching.

Harrell isn’t as bad as Kane but I don’t think he’s super flexible…I don’t think he does great at adapting in game.

Most of my posts are pretty fair IMO. Some find me annoying but I feel I’ve called balls and strikes pretty fair on this coach.

I think a decent coach could take this roster and win 6-7 this year. A team takes on the personality of its HC. We were weak, unmotivated and undisciplined last Saturday. It’s not like that was the first time we had seen that from the team while Walters has been here.

I think Harrell is average as best and Kane is running a bad scheme from a bad edict from his boss. While Walters is here we ARE that scheme and we are likely incredibly unsuccessful on D because of it. He can send Kane on his way but he’s just going to make the next guy run the same bad D as well. The D is on Walters.
Most of your posts have not been fair IMO. You constantly claimed that last year’s roster was loaded with talent and it just wasn’t. I think you’ve even come around to accepting that. You’ve been calling only balls on this coach until you realized that the roster was overhauled almost completely. Almost like you had an epiphany and suddenly knew it needed to happen.

Tough question here but what coach would we have if pboiler was AD? What “decent” guy would you have in charge that would definitely have this team winning 6-7 this year?

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
The bigger question to me is if we have the talent to be successful in this Defense. The scheme is so bad I don’t think Alabama has the talent to run this defense.

On offense…on paper the line is better than Brohms that won the West. Why could we only muster 160 yards of offense. NDs defense is good but it’s not that good.

WRs were overhyped IMo but TE is a strength, Card is a better than average QB and Mock and Love aren’t bad RBs. I think there is a disconnect between what we have and the results we saw on Saturday. That’s 1000% on coaching.
Oh FFS. Just when I want to think you are serious you say that Alabama doesn’t have the talent to do what our coaches want. Jesus h

Oh FFS. Just when I want to think you are serious you say that Alabama doesn’t have the talent to do what our coaches want. Jesus h
They don’t.

Who else in NCAA runs a 5-1-5 with a single high safety 70-90 feet away from the ball?

Certainly not good teams.

Are you watching Illinois and Nebraska? These are our supposed peers but I’d take these teams +17-21 points over us now. We just aren’t good or disciplined.

Most of your posts have not been fair IMO. You constantly claimed that last year’s roster was loaded with talent and it just wasn’t. I think you’ve even come around to accepting that. You’ve been calling only balls on this coach until you realized that the roster was overhauled almost completely. Almost like you had an epiphany and suddenly knew it needed to happen.

Tough question here but what coach would we have if pboiler was AD? What “decent” guy would you have in charge that would definitely have this team winning 6-7 this year?
We are seemingly worse this year. Overhaul not going like you think it is.

Illinois doing better without Walters there.

Was he holding back the D?

Is Bieliema the guy and not him?

the recruiting was about limiting the drop off and I think they did that. If this team gets to 6 wins, that is a major victory for Walters. It's a matter of how deep is IU, MSU & NW. Purdue will need an upset at home. You have to admit, this was not an ideal schedule for a rebuilding program.

the recruiting was about limiting the drop off and I think they did that. If this team gets to 6 wins, that is a major victory for Walters. It's a matter of how deep is IU, MSU & NW. Purdue will need an upset at home. You have to admit, this was not an ideal schedule for a rebuilding program.
It’s a huge IF. We won’t be favored in a single game the rest of the year.

This didn’t have to be a “rebuild “. We still have 3/5 starting linemen from Brohms teams. We hired a guy with an awful scheme and tried to build a defense that just doesn’t make sense to run at this level.

Coaching has cost us here.

We are seemingly worse this year. Overhaul not going like you think it is.

Illinois doing better without Walters there.

Was he holding back the D?

Is Bieliema the guy and not him?
We are worse because ND kicked our ass in a big way? That’s all you’ve seen. Obviously not a popular observation around here, but we get our asses stomped pretty regularly.

Who knows what Illinois is? They beat Kansas, who then responded by losing to UNLV. They are currently tied with Nebraska, and who the hell knows what they are?

Are you saying we could or should have hired Bert? lol

It’s a huge IF. We won’t be favored in a single game the rest of the year.

This didn’t have to be a “rebuild “. We still have 3/5 starting linemen from Brohms teams. We hired a guy with an awful scheme and tried to build a defense that just doesn’t make sense to run at this level.

Coaching has cost us here.
It was a rebuild. My god you can’t have actually watched that team, then the bowl game, and thought that we were in a good spot going forward. This is maddening reading this type of stupidity. Just unreal

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT