ADVERTISEMENT

This team is a slap in the face to our fans

Right, so you're just gonna ignore 15 to 5 million huh?

Tell you what bud, if you want to live in the delusion that our NIL isn't near the bottom of the conference you go right ahead and live in that fantasy world.
I never said it wasn't towards the bottom of the conference. It likely is. I'm saying nobody really knows everything. The real difference. How it is spread across the athletic department. If contributions were one-time lump sums to buy out a coach or build a new tennis facility.

Even the source you cited admitted as much if you cared to read the disclosures.

Why present these Estimates?

Unlike public Universities, virtually all NIL Collectives are privately controlled and have no obligation to publicly report information such as their annual fundraising and how those funds are spent.

In most cases, NIL collectives are very protective of their funding, and several states have actually stepped in to shield collectives from public scrutiny. Texas passed a bill that became effective in July 2023 barring state universities from releasing NIL documents in response to freedom of information act (FOIA) requests. With this action, Texas joins other states that have restricted public access to NIL activity including Connecticut, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, and Nebraska.

So these states have basically said ”none of your business”. But the problem with this position is that it does affect the public. State supported Universities rely on athletic booster donations to help fund their athletic programs including women’s and non-revenue sports. However the new landscape is that Schools and collectives are now competing for the same dollars – both are asking the same donors for contributions to the same cause – supporting the school’s athletic programs. So assuming donors are not going to double up, contributions to NIL collectives likely reduce contributions that historically went to the Universities. The difference is the schools used these funds as they saw best and were required to report how contributions are spent. Conversely, NIL Collectives are privately operated and are under no obligation to report either how much in funds are raised or how they are spent.

The state laws restricting public access were also intended to bar access from the NCAA to some extent. NCAA bashing is in vogue right now, but the organization does try to maintain a level fair playing field for schools to compete – for example, every FBS football program is allowed to have a maximum of 85 players under scholarship. NIL collectives are threatening to tilt this field on end – say two schools recruiting the same athlete are both offering full scholarships, but one has a supporting collective that can offer that recruit $ 100,000 per year in guaranteed “NIL” money and the other school can only offer a scholarship and the opportunity for a good education, which school do you believe will likely receive the commitment? See our page on the Quiet Part Out Loud about how the recruiting landscape has changed due to emergence of NIL collectives.

Student-Athletes do deserve legitimate NIL opportunities, but the health of intercollegiate sports is also dependent on schools playing by the same rules on the same level playing field. Sports is an integral part of the college experience. It would be a disaster if scores of schools begin to drop sports due to the funding demands and the intercollegiate athletics landscape ends up being dominated by 30 or 40 super schools essentially funded by enormous football TV contracts. Everyone loses in this scenario, especially the reduced opportunities for student-athlete not looking to get paid, but just to play for the love of the game.

So we compile and present these statistics with the objective of bringing some light to this area.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I never said it wasn't towards the bottom of the conference. It likely is. I'm saying nobody really knows everything. The real difference. How it is spread across the athletic department. If contributions were one-time lump sums to buy out a coach or build a new tennis facility.

Even the source you cited admitted as much if you cared to read the disclosures.

Why present these Estimates?

Unlike public Universities, virtually all NIL Collectives are privately controlled and have no obligation to publicly report information such as their annual fundraising and how those funds are spent.

In most cases, NIL collectives are very protective of their funding, and several states have actually stepped in to shield collectives from public scrutiny. Texas passed a bill that became effective in July 2023 barring state universities from releasing NIL documents in response to freedom of information act (FOIA) requests. With this action, Texas joins other states that have restricted public access to NIL activity including Connecticut, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, and Nebraska.

So these states have basically said ”none of your business”. But the problem with this position is that it does affect the public. State supported Universities rely on athletic booster donations to help fund their athletic programs including women’s and non-revenue sports. However the new landscape is that Schools and collectives are now competing for the same dollars – both are asking the same donors for contributions to the same cause – supporting the school’s athletic programs. So assuming donors are not going to double up, contributions to NIL collectives likely reduce contributions that historically went to the Universities. The difference is the schools used these funds as they saw best and were required to report how contributions are spent. Conversely, NIL Collectives are privately operated and are under no obligation to report either how much in funds are raised or how they are spent.

The state laws restricting public access were also intended to bar access from the NCAA to some extent. NCAA bashing is in vogue right now, but the organization does try to maintain a level fair playing field for schools to compete – for example, every FBS football program is allowed to have a maximum of 85 players under scholarship. NIL collectives are threatening to tilt this field on end – say two schools recruiting the same athlete are both offering full scholarships, but one has a supporting collective that can offer that recruit $ 100,000 per year in guaranteed “NIL” money and the other school can only offer a scholarship and the opportunity for a good education, which school do you believe will likely receive the commitment? See our page on the Quiet Part Out Loud about how the recruiting landscape has changed due to emergence of NIL collectives.

Student-Athletes do deserve legitimate NIL opportunities, but the health of intercollegiate sports is also dependent on schools playing by the same rules on the same level playing field. Sports is an integral part of the college experience. It would be a disaster if scores of schools begin to drop sports due to the funding demands and the intercollegiate athletics landscape ends up being dominated by 30 or 40 super schools essentially funded by enormous football TV contracts. Everyone loses in this scenario, especially the reduced opportunities for student-athlete not looking to get paid, but just to play for the love of the game.

So we compile and present these statistics with the objective of bringing some light to this area.
Sigh. All that to finally admit we are near the bottom of the conference in NIL.

So again you're just arguing to be contrary.

Now, do you really think the split favors football instead of basketball? Of course you don't.

Sigh. All that to finally admit we are near the bottom of the conference in NIL.

So again you're just arguing to be contrary.

Now, do you really think the split favors football instead of basketball? Of course you don't.
No. I'm arguing that you don't know the facts. Which you don't.

Lol the fact is that we are near the bottom of the conference in football NIL which you agree with. The rest is you being you.
I'm sorry I tried to see if you understood what you were saying. Never thought it would embarrass you so much.

I don’t know that amount. I do know Scourton was offered 400 and it’s reasonable to think Jenkins, Thienemann and others got the same. If Purdue was getting 400k transfers from elsewhere, things would look different.

When people say the portal the portal, yeah if you’re getting other schools Kydran Jenkins the portal can flip you in a hurry. Not that it makes Walters good but that’s not close to what Purdue is getting.
More money, better players and the portal can't fix what we are seeing each football Saturday...... With better players last season, we saw glimpses of this year's disaster.....

Reactions: pboiler18
I don’t know that amount. I do know Scourton was offered 400 and it’s reasonable to think Jenkins, Thienemann and others got the same. If Purdue was getting 400k transfers from elsewhere, things would look different.

When people say the portal the portal, yeah if you’re getting other schools Kydran Jenkins the portal can flip you in a hurry. Not that it makes Walters good but that’s not close to what Purdue is getting.
Jenkins closer to 500, Thieneman half that. I'm not seeing anything to show Card is higher than Thieneman. That's about it.

Purdue is going to need to be prepared to either:

A. Stay cheap and try and build a program over years from high school recruiting and quite frankly some luck, regardless of who the coach is (by that I mean even a great coach is going to need several years with that approach).

B. Be prepared to spend several millions of dollars on additions plus the cost of a new coach/staff who will have a much higher price tag than Walters did. With the buyout, I'm guessing we are talking 20 million? I just don't see that happening so what will get is

C. More experienced coaches, hope they bring some players with them, and then do option A for players. Pay big for one or two and cheap for the rest. More like 12-13 million with the buyout.

Paying NIL money for transfers unless they are proven is just gambling. Even paying guys who are somewhat proven is pretty risky (see Card, Jenkins).

I think I'd rather just see us spend money on a great coach and get players who want to be here ala Painter and the bball team.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Jenkins closer to 500, Thieneman half that. I'm not seeing anything to show Card is higher than Thieneman. That's about it.

Purdue is going to need to be prepared to either:

A. Stay cheap and try and build a program over years from high school recruiting and quite frankly some luck, regardless of who the coach is (by that I mean even a great coach is going to need several years with that approach).

B. Be prepared to spend several millions of dollars on additions plus the cost of a new coach/staff who will have a much higher price tag than Walters did. With the buyout, I'm guessing we are talking 20 million? I just don't see that happening so what will get is

C. More experienced coaches, hope they bring some players with them, and then do option A for players. Pay big for one or two and cheap for the rest. More like 12-13 million with the buyout.
And IU is paying their players 80 million more than us right.

Reactions: pboiler18
Paying NIL money for transfers unless they are proven is just gambling. Even paying guys who are somewhat proven is pretty risky (see Card, Jenkins).

I think I'd rather just see us spend money on a great coach and get players who want to be here ala Painter and the bball team.
Paying Jenkins any more than Free.99 to play middle LB is nuts. You paid a guy to play a position that nobody would have let him play for free. Can’t make that one make sense.

Paying a guy and then lining him up in the wrong sport or teaching him bad or no technique is akin tossing in the wind. Until we get a real coach NIL money is wasted

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT