ADVERTISEMENT

There will be lots of theories and reasons. But it only this…

Gman544

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 20, 2018
Purdue felt pressure before the game. They were number one in the nation. They were playing a team that plays like FDU, that beat them before when they were number one , playing at home. They collapsed under pressure again. That caused the bad turnovers, missed threes, wide open shots for NW. The coach had no answer for Bouie and just tried the same thing over and over again. Handling pressure poorly is a fatal flaw of this team and I’m afraid it emanates from the coach and may not be fixable.

Purdue felt pressure before the game. They were number one in the nation. They were playing a team that plays like FDU, that beat them before when they were number one , playing at home. They collapsed under pressure again. That caused the bad turnovers, missed threes, wide open shots for NW. The coach had no answer for Bouie and just tried the same thing over and over again. Handling pressure poorly is a fatal flaw of this team and I’m afraid it emanates from the coach and may not be fixable.
Some players and their habits don't seem fixable.

And NW isn't even a pressing team on defense. The Purdue defense was horrific tonight. It is what it is with Edey in his drop coverage. If dudes are going to make their shut mid-range sh*t nothing you can do until you have a more mobile 5 in the game.

Pick and roll is the best play in basketball. Booie was insane all night and played a perfect game just like that dude for IU did at Mackey last year. And when you couple a horrible defender like Loyer in there UH-OH. Purdue is in big trouble.

Or our fans acceptable with a losing persona? And stay with a proven loser….Rinse and repeat
Have another drink my friend. Purdue is nowhere near an elite job. If you're going to change coaches I'm all for it so long as you change the BOT, President and AD first and then tee up some big time donors. If not you're just playing the same game IU has been losing at for 30 years with worse resources.

Painter said after the FDU debacle that he was going to do some soul searching and figure out what / how to change (paraphrasing here). While this isn’t March, I have not seen anything different from him. If I have overlooked something, please let me know. Carry on.

Painter said after the FDU debacle that he was going to do some soul searching and figure out what / how to change (paraphrasing here). While this isn’t March, I have not seen anything different from him. If I have overlooked something, please let me know. Carry on.
I don't think that he plans to change, just hopes that we have short memories

Reactions: Murv 3
Well until tonight Purdue pushed the ball more on misses. NW didn’t have enough misses 😁

Uh let's see I didn't see Painter out there playing? I believe Painter tried several different defender's on Bouie. Purdue has weaknesses and strengths. There weakness is ball handler's in the back court. Now Painter knows this I am sure. He has tried to fix the issue but great players don't just fall off trees. He has the most dominant big man in College basketball and Einstein bonefish is criticizing Painter for running his offense through the low post. In 2018 Carsen Edwards last year Purdue did not run it's offense through the low post. They lose ONE game in December and the fan base just freaks out like lil kids. THE WORST FAN BASE IN AMERICA is in West Lafayette.

Uh let's see I didn't see Painter out there playing? I believe Painter tried several different defender's on Bouie. Purdue has weaknesses and strengths. There weakness is ball handler's in the back court. Now Painter knows this I am sure. He has tried to fix the issue but great players don't just fall off trees. He has the most dominant big man in College basketball and Einstein bonefish is criticizing Painter for running his offense through the low post. In 2018 Carsen Edwards last year Purdue did not run its offense through the low post. They lose ONE game in December and the fan base just freaks out like lil kids. THE WORST FAN BASE IN AMERICA is in West Lafayette.
I think the freak out is more due to the same issues that have caused us to lose games, came out again. It’s not like we shot 45% from 3 to match them and we had only 3 turnovers. We shot poor from 3, relied on edey too much, turned it over waaay too much and didn’t have a guard who could guard their really good guard.

I’m not worried yet. I’d wait until mid Jan and if it’s the same then consistently, then I’ll be worried. Kinda glad we lost cuz now we have the undefeated thing gone and won’t have as much pressure (well maybe just a tad less) on the team.

I think the freak out is more due to the same issues that have caused us to lose games, came out again. It’s not like we shot 45% from 3 to match them and we had only 3 turnovers. We shot poor from 3, relied on edey too much, turned it over waaay too much and didn’t have a guard who could guard their really good guard.

I’m not worried yet. I’d wait until mid Jan and if it’s the same then consistently, then I’ll be worried. Kinda glad we lost cuz now we have the undefeated thing gone and won’t have as much pressure (well maybe just a tad less) on the team.
Uh let's see I didn't see Painter out there playing? I believe Painter tried several different defender's on Bouie. Purdue has weaknesses and strengths. There weakness is ball handler's in the back court. Now Painter knows this I am sure. He has tried to fix the issue but great players don't just fall off trees. He has the most dominant big man in College basketball and Einstein bonefish is criticizing Painter for running his offense through the low post. In 2018 Carsen Edwards last year Purdue did not run it's offense through the low post. They lose ONE game in December and the fan base just freaks out like lil kids. THE WORST FAN BASE IN AMERICA is in West Lafayette.
It’s a great fan base. They complain when they have failures including one of the most epic failures in the history of college basketball and then follow up with this debacle tonight. Yet, they will stick with the team. You don’t see the coach playing excuse really? He recruits the players,if they are not the right fit to beat Northwestern and low seeded tournament teams it’s on him. It’s not about one game, it’s about repeated losses to average teams when they feel pressure. This year was supposed to be different, but here we are kings of November and starting off with a choke dud in December. We’ll see if they are different by March.

It’s a great fan base. They complain when they have failures including one of the most epic failures in the history of college basketball and then follow up with this debacle tonight. Yet, they will stick with the team. You don’t see the coach playing excuse really? He recruits the players,if they are not the right fit to beat Northwestern and low seeded tournament teams it’s on him. It’s not about one game, it’s about repeated losses to average teams when they feel pressure. This year was supposed to be different, but here we are kings of November and starting off with a choke dud in December. We’ll see if they are different by March.
I think it was more of a combo of a true road game and NW played a hell of a game…50% from 3 with one guy hitting his first all year, another who was 3/18 hit 4/5 and had 3 TOs vs a top 10 defense. And boo buie was great all night. I do agree we will have to see how this team is come March. Usually, we don’t have a loss like this early in the season so let’s see how they respond.

I think it was more of a combo of a true road game and NW played a hell of a game…50% from 3 with one guy hitting his first all year, another who was 3/18 hit 4/5 and had 3 TOs vs a top 10 defense. And boo buie was great all night. I do agree we will have to see how this team is come March. Usually, we don’t have a loss like this early in the season so let’s see how they respond.
Well, NW has only beaten a #1 ranked team twice in it's history. It's the same team. So, it's no longer "they just played a hell of a game" anymore. We have a track record of being over rated. We had no business being ranked this high at the start. We elevated solely on teams losing and us moving up. I hope Monday we drop to around 15th. That would stop us from having to stomach teams storming the court on us.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
Well, NW has only beaten a #1 ranked team twice in it's history. It's the same team. So, it's no longer "they just played a hell of a game" anymore. We have a track record of being over rated. We had no business being ranked this high at the start. We elevated solely on teams losing and us moving up. I hope Monday we drop to around 15th. That would stop us from having to stomach teams storming the court on us.
Well, we won’t drop that far. No business being ranked that high? What would you rank a team that returns everyone from a top 5 ranked team and that beats the 11,7 and 4 in 3 consecutive games? Maybe they aren’t the 1, but certainly deserved it at the time.

NW did play a hell of a game, shooting 50% from 3 and having a guy as good as Buie at guard that we had no answer for—maybe we should try and see what miss state did to slow him down. Purdue had their first bad game this year, it happens. Let’s see if things happening in mid Jan and then panic then.

We weren't going to go undefeated. My concern is us returning to the team and the coach we had last Feb and March. We were that coach and team AFTER the first 10 minutes of the game. When you commit 14 more turnovers than your opponent, you lose. That's on the players, guards in particular. When you can't get your team back in to the flow and change things up to do that, you are going to lose. That's the coach. Look at the minutes played last night. We can't sustain that over the next 4 months. Our bench has to be productive and Painter has to play players he may not always feel he can trust rather than guys he trusts but can't execute.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
Well, we won’t drop that far. No business being ranked that high? What would you rank a team that returns everyone from a top 5 ranked team and that beats the 11,7 and 4 in 3 consecutive games? Maybe they aren’t the 1, but certainly deserved it at the time.

NW did play a hell of a game, shooting 50% from 3 and having a guy as good as Buie at guard that we had no answer for—maybe we should try and see what miss state did to slow him down. Purdue had their first bad game this year, it happens. Let’s see if things happening in mid Jan and then panic then.
Yes NW played a hell of a game. Maryland played a hell of a game last year and stormed the court. IU played a hell of a game last year and stormed the court. NW played a hell of a game last year and stormed the court. All leading to the historic NCAA meltdown. The story looks just like last year. It's always the other team just had a hell of a game. It's just a dice roll. No, it's not.

Last edited:
Yes NW played a hell of a game. Nebraska played a hell of a game last year and stormed the court. IU played a hell of a game last year and stormed the court. NW played a hell of a game last year and stormed the court. The story looks just like last year. It's always the other team just had a hell of a game. It's just a dice roll.
Nebraska didn’t beat Purdue last year . IU didn’t play a hell of a game, they had a kid who had a career night and then disappeared rest of the year. Didn’t see the IU game at IU so can’t speak to that.

Anyways, it’s one game this year. Hopefully this isn’t happening in mid to late Jan.

Nebraska didn’t beat Purdue last year . IU didn’t play a hell of a game, they had a kid who had a career night and then disappeared rest of the year. Didn’t see the IU game at IU so can’t speak to that.

Anyways, it’s one game this year. Hopefully this isn’t happening in mid to late Jan.
True, it was Maryland that thumped us. Fixed it.

True, it was Maryland that thumped us. Fixed it.
Maryland also didn’t play a hell of a game. They dared the refs to call a foul and the refs didn’t. Maryland had something like 2 fouls up until the 5 min mark in the first half and Purdue shot poor.

Maryland also didn’t play a hell of a game. They dared the refs to call a foul and the refs didn’t. Maryland had something like 2 fouls up until the 5 min mark in the first half and Purdue shot poor.
Yes, it wasn't our fault. We were victimized. By 14. PF were 17 to 12. No team could overcome being called for 5 more fouls. We were robbed.

Purdue was outplayed on the road in the Big Ten. It happens. I was frustrated with Purdue’s execution, but games like this were always inevitable. We all know that Purdue has some weaknesses to go along with its strengths. I could point to 10 reasons why Purdue lost, but at some point all that matters is that Purdue learns from it and improves. This loss doesn’t really hurt Purdue in isolation. The key is what happens going forward.

Good summary.I doubt if Northwestern plays a game this good the rest of the year.There are many games left to play.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Yes, it wasn't our fault. We were victimized. By 14. PF were 17 to 12. No team could overcome being called for 5 more fouls. We were robbed.
We shot poor, it was our fault. I was responding to telling you Maryland didn’t play a hell of a game and told you how they decided to play it.

Omg this is pure trash. Did you even listen to Painters press conference? He said he’d change the game plan if he could it over defensively. You really are slow if you think Painter can’t handle pressure. Dickinson was a good team last year that played a fantastic game. It’s basketball. Sometimes shots fall.

Have another drink my friend. Purdue is nowhere near an elite job. If you're going to change coaches I'm all for it so long as you change the BOT, President and AD first and then tee up some big time donors. If not you're just playing the same game IU has been losing at for 30 years with worse resources.
Best home court in the country. Great facilities, solid recruiting territory. An AD willing to spend (ask Brohm).
Remind why it’s not an attractive job?

Reactions: typeviic
Purdue was outplayed on the road in the Big Ten. It happens. I was frustrated with Purdue’s execution, but games like this were always inevitable. We all know that Purdue has some weaknesses to go along with its strengths. I could point to 10 reasons why Purdue lost, but at some point all that matters is that Purdue learns from it and improves. This loss doesn’t really hurt Purdue in isolation. The key is what happens going forward.
They must be slow learners as the same thing happened last year. Getting tired of losing to NW in football and basketball.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
They really are just the November champions. Purdue needs a better sports shrink I guess. They seem to let these games get into their head. FDU coach knew it too. That’s why he gave them the locker room bulletin board material last year. It was a risk that paid off. Either Purdue would respond by dominating them or they would let the pressure of trying to dominate be their undoing. You could see the whole teams a-holes collectively pucker up. It happened last night, it’ll probably happen with Rutgers, and then some smaller, scrappy high seed in the tournament. Have to find somebody who can figure out how to bottle up how they play loose and confident like they do in November so they can play like that in every month.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT