ADVERTISEMENT

There’s opt-outs and flunk-offs, and then there’s Broc and Payne

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
Give all credit to those who stuck it out for their teammates and coaches and schoolmates and fans and played in pain and played well and produced a victory amidst extremes in adversity.

They’re the greatest stars, the truest heroes, the best leaders, the perfect role models.

For the others, thanks for everything before looking out only for number one.

Here’s Dabo Swinney on why Clemson had no opt-outs:
"They love to play, first of all. We've got a bunch of competitors, and unfortunately had a bunch of guys hurt. (James) Skalski tore his plantar fascia or whatever and (Keith) Maguire goes in there. They've just got the heart of a champion and eye of the Tiger is all I can tell you. They love Clemson. Clemson is bigger than any coach. It's bigger than any player. And that's what you saw in this team all year long. We just kept finding a way. It has been a special year. It has been a great year, and this team was committed. Just because you got the same name don't mean you're a family. These guys were truly a family all year long. I love these players. I've enjoyed the year, and hopefully we reset a little bit on the appreciation of winning and what it takes to win, the mentality you've got to have to win."

Ditto on Dabo for the Boilers. Almost all of them.

Give all credit to those who stuck it out for their teammates and coaches and schoolmates and fans and played in pain and played well and produced a victory amidst extremes in adversity.

They’re the greatest stars, the truest heroes, the best leaders, the perfect role models.

"They love to play, first of all. We've got a bunch of competitors, and unfortunately had a bunch of guys hurt. (James) Skalski tore his plantar fascia or whatever and (Keith) Maguire goes in there. They've just got the heart of a champion and eye of the Tiger is all I can tell you. They love Clemson. Clemson is bigger than any coach. It's bigger than any player. And that's what you saw in this team all year long. We just kept finding a way. It has been a special year. It has been a great year, and this team was committed. Just because you got the same name don't mean you're a family. These guys were truly a family all year long. I love these players. I've enjoyed the year, and hopefully we reset a little bit on the appreciation of winning and what it takes to win, the mentality you've got to have to win."

Those two showed that No Quit attitude of a Boilermaker!!
Super proud of the entire Team and Coaches!!

Way to throw shade at GK and DB3 with your backhanded praise. Absolutely CONGRATS to Aiden, Broc, Payne, and the rest of the team that went out and fought for the victory today, but if any of those guys were in 1st round draft position they’d have done the same thing.

We wouldn’t have been in this bowl game without 3 and 5.

Way to throw shade at GK and DB3 with your backhanded praise. Absolutely CONGRATS to Aiden, Broc, Payne, and the rest of the team that went out and fought for the victory today, but if any of those guys were in 1st round draft position they’d have done the same thing.

Back-handed praise? Open worship, actually. I stated admiration for those who overcame pain and played. I shaded nothing, including about those who -- the almighty bottom line being the bottom line -- quit the team.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
GK and Bell will do far more for Purdue by going to the NFL, showing out and inspiring future Boilermakers, than they could do in this game. Besides, if Bell was at the game would we have been treated to the Broc show?
And yes, way to battle guys. I have to add Graham to that list. He played out of position much of the game and hung in there. Future is bright.

Back-handed praise? Open worship, actually. I stated admiration for those who overcame pain and played. I shaded nothing, including about those who -- the almighty bottom line being the bottom line -- quit the team.
Bell is coming off a concussion about a month ago, perhaps he’s still not over it, are you certain he is? As for Karlaftis, a top 10 pick has no reason playing in a Music City bowl, OSU has 4 guys skipping the Rose bowl, like it or not that’s going to be the norm from here on out. How about being happy that some underclassmen benefitted from those two not playing, them sitting out helps the team for next year!

The Opt Outs and Portal Transfers at any time of the season are a growing problem for the college game. Sad to see so many Opt Outs on all teams in the bowls. The difference “I” see is that if any of the teams that had opt outs were one of the Final Four teams playing for the mythical BCS championship, most if not all would have played!

Just win baby!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT