ADVERTISEMENT

The Trump Curveball: What China Didn't Expect

Here is another story from National Interest magazine by none other than Maria Butina who is being detained like a modern day Mata Hari accused of being a Russian spy-fyi. Maria Butina is the founding chairman, The Right To Bear Arms, a Russian version of the NRA.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-bear-the-elephant-13098

"It may take the election of a Republican to the White House in 2016 to improve relations between the Russian Federation and the United States."

Reactions: mk_peters
Here is another story from National Interest magazine by none other than Maria Butina who is being detained like a modern day Mata Hari accused of being a Russian spy-fyi. Maria Butina is the founding chairman, The Right To Bear Arms, a Russian version of the NRA.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-bear-the-elephant-13098

"It may take the election of a Republican to the White House in 2016 to improve relations between the Russian Federation and the United States."
And this has what to do with China?

tough to distinguish between china and the u.s.

"He has increased state subsidies to favored participants and has placed a new emphasis on industrial policy, like his notorious Made in China 2025 initiative that seeks self-sufficiency in crucial sectors.

He has tightened already strict capital controls, often enforcing unannounced rules. Moreover, Xi has dramatically increased state control over the equity markets, especially since the summer of 2015. Market-supporting purchases by the aptly named “National Team” are, in substance, renationalization. "

tough to distinguish between china and the u.s.

"He has increased state subsidies to favored participants and has placed a new emphasis on industrial policy, like his notorious Made in China 2025 initiative that seeks self-sufficiency in crucial sectors.

He has tightened already strict capital controls, often enforcing unannounced rules. Moreover, Xi has dramatically increased state control over the equity markets, especially since the summer of 2015. Market-supporting purchases by the aptly named “National Team” are, in substance, renationalization. "
Trump is pushing state control of industries and markets? GTFO. America First does not equal government control of industries and markets. Sorry, try again.

Trump is pushing state control of industries and markets? GTFO. America First does not equal government control of industries and markets. Sorry, try again.
I would like to agree with you.
I would like to see less heavy state influence and control rather than increasing subsidies,
tariffs, tariff exemptions, one-off deals like carrier, deals for specific industry whether coal or solar, and other companies having that same government aid replaced instead with public ridicule. just say no.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuilderBob6
I would like to agree with you.
unfortunately we see heavy state influence and control via increasing subsidies,
tariffs, tariff exemptions, one-off deals like carrier, deals for specific industry whether coal or solar, and other companies having that same government aid replaced instead with public ridicule.

why has the answer to america first included selective state influence and control
You know why. Trump is trying to get unfair trade deals fixed. That's why he's using tariffs and tariff exemptions.

It's laughable to compare what the US does to China or Venezuela, for instance. Not even close to the same scale. And I think you already knew that.

You know why. Trump is trying to get unfair trade deals fixed. That's why he's using tariffs and tariff exemptions.

It's laughable to compare what the US does to China or Venezuela, for instance. Not even close to the same scale. And I think you already knew that.
China is coming to the table in a couple of weeks. Their economy is struggling with the current and proposed future tariffs and they need the US market. Xi Jinping appears more than ready to listen to Trump's proposals.

Reactions: SDBoiler1

isn't your argument: the u.s. system is losing, the chinese system is winning?

maybe you're right. keep emulating china even more.

Reactions: Bill4411
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT