ADVERTISEMENT

The opponent

I like Hunters scoring but for this game, I like what he did to Carr, Walker, Trice and Watts on the defensive end a lot more. His defense on the other teams main guard threat has been one of the areas where we exceeded expectations this year, especially after losing Jel.

100% agree. Whether by design, or otherwise, what Hunter has transformed into defensively.........for the team........is commendable. Asking #7 in Indiana HS basketball scoring to be your D-man, and him accepting that role, is special. These are the type of kids CMP recruits, and why the PU program is excelling. If Hunter scores zero points I'm fine with it, as long as his matchup doesn't score much either. Hunter, himself, being OK with that too is pretty cool and the sign of a leader.

Definitely agree this team is better defensively than expected, and a big part of that is EH Jr's play. Also throw in that Zach Edey is further along and Jaden Ivey/Aaron Wheeler's abilities to make impact/transition plays and Mason Gillis' help in the paint. Certainly, there are still some deficiencies, but the potential is there. If they can play defense like the second half of the BTT game....you could hear some noise, perhaps. We shall see.

I like Hunters scoring but for this game, I like what he did to Carr, Walker, Trice and Watts on the defensive end a lot more. His defense on the other teams main guard threat has been one of the areas where we exceeded expectations this year, especially after losing Jel.

Spot on...

North Texas = Classy fanbase. I cannot say I've seen a bad post over on their forums or here.
Just not much basketball specifics on the team. I would love to hear them discuss the players individually and team particulars, but yes welcoming group.

I wasn't aware they posted over here? I'd like to read the comments

Weren't they convinced they invented defense? And we would have never seen a defense like theirs?
Well in their defense (haha), the 61 we scored was the lowest output of the tournament and probably around the 3rd lowest all year.

usatcollege-CollegeUSAT-560535-odu-signs.jpeg

yeah...don't miss OD

These keys you list here are appropriate for the rest of the season no matter how many games or who we play.
Yep. I have been saying 2) and 3) for the entire season. Rebounding has been consistently good. Turnovers have mostly been too high. More recently the team has come out cold. Time to pull it all together.

Reactions: tjreese and punaj
Hamlet's release point reminds me of Ivey. Neither one seems to have a problem getting shots off.
I honestly can't tell you about Hamlets release point..because the little I watched it was kinda a whole team thing. That said, if defending a guy that wants to drive and is better doing that, you are going to give them room to prevent the drive as you know. I remember a kid that shot from the hip almost and played for a school (late 70s)just outside Frankfort to the west that may have been that schools leading (all time?) scorer that had no problem shooting at the hash mark close to the score table and make them. He just went farther out. ;)

Hamlet wants to get in the lane or going to the basket. He finds familiar ground at the FT line. I mentioned elsewhere that it seemed NT was a dribble drive team and containing the dribble well starts Purdue success on D. He can shoot behind the arc, but that is not his primary desire.

Reactions: PU pit bull
I honestly can't tell you about Hamlets release point..because the little I watched it was kinda a whole team thing. That said, if defending a guy that wants to drive and is better doing that, you are going to give them room to prevent the drive as you know. I remember a kid that shot from the hip almost and played for a school (late 70s)just outside Frankfort to the west that may have been that schools leading (all time?) scorer that had no problem shooting at the hash mark close to the score table and make them. He just went farther out. ;)

Hamlet wants to get in the lane or going to the basket. He finds familiar ground at the FT line. I mentioned elsewhere that it seemed NT was a dribble drive team and containing the dribble well starts Purdue success on D. He can shoot behind the arc, but that is not his primary desire.

Painter will have 2-3 players in rotation to tire him out. I doubt they have experienced this before.

Painter will have 2-3 players in rotation to tire him out. I doubt they have experienced this before.
yeah, why Purdue just needs to do what it does. Purdue should always use their depth with hard D play and pushing the ball off every missed shot or turnover to see what is there at the other end. Contain teh dribble not just for this game, but success in future games... NT will see many more things to them than Purdue will...like Zach for one.

yeah, why Purdue just needs to do what it does. Purdue should always use their depth with hard D play and pushing the ball off every missed shot or turnover to see what is there at the other end. Contain teh dribble not just for this game, but success in future games... NT will see many more things to them than Purdue will...like Zach for one.

Can you imagine (if we don’t lose any player to attrition), we’ll be 14 deep next year? I love every player we have and I hope a few will accept and play as role players.

Here is a highlight reel of Hamlet scoring from last season. Interested in your thoughts on this. I was intrigued as it seems they rarely use a ball screen in their dribble drive but prefer to get him isolated. I assume this is to avoid the hedge and double team. So basically the goal is for him to beat his man one-on-one, or as a last resort dish to an open man. I also wonder about the defense in some of these clips. It doesn't appear the opponents are doing much to counter this strategy or stop him from getting down hill..

Last edited:
Can you imagine (if we don’t lose any player to attrition), we’ll be 14 deep next year? I love every player we have and I hope a few will accept and play as role players.
keeping everyone happy will be a challenge...unless the priorities and waiting time for each player is in check. Matt will be dealing with humans...good people, but humans, and it is hard to predict what desires lie in each. I just know Matt is not going to play 14 players. In my eyes, every player is a role player or should be. It is just that each player's role will be a bit different than the player beside him.

Here is a highlight reel of Hamlet scoring from last season. Interested in your thoughts on this. I was intrigued as it seems they rarely use a ball screen in their dribble drive but prefer to get him isolated. I assume this is to avoid the hedge and double team. So basically the goal is for him to beat his man one-on-one, or as a last resort dish to an open man. I also wonder about the defense in some of these clips. It doesn't appear the opponents are doing much to counter this strategy or stop him from getting down hill..
I know everyone looks good in their highlight reel, but he looks legit. Going to be a fun game to watch.

Reactions: Purdue85
I've posted so many things in so many places... ;) Watched maybe a third of his highlights. Yes, in previous posts I said almost all test the ball for air immediately upong receiving the ball and that containing the dribble will be key. In a previous post I mentioned that many times they just clear out a bit and start the offense on the two player side of the lane to start to see if they can break down and start rotations...and other times it will be on the triangle side. No question he is very important to them and shoots on average 2.5 times behind the arc, but will take more against Purdue if it is there. I don't expect Eric to give him as much room as he normally has, but in ERic's mind I expect stopping penetration is the most important thing. I have no idea how NT will shoot in the dome, but Hamlet leads them as Tre leads Purdue. If Hamlet is contained, I have no idea who would fill for them. If Tre is contained, Purdue has an answer. Going off memory, but think I wrote previously that he gets to the line twice that as the next player and also shoots 30% more than the next player and so this ball dominant player dictates the success of NT. I'm reminded a bit of Tony Carr (penn state a couple of years ago), but perhaps a bit shorter and quicker as far as desiring getting into the lane, but can also shoot from the outside.

I only watched the WKU game and FULLY aware that seeing a team once can fool you. However, the stats do tell a story of tendencies moreso than effectiveness since competition can effect results. With that in mind....Hamlet shoots a lot and gets to the line a lot, but is fourth on 3pt shots attempted? If you get to the line a lot...you are driving the lane generally and since he shoots a lot...protecting the lane will be a priority...and why dribble containment will be key IMO. Actually dribble containment for all players. Dribble containment starts with the primary defender doing a good job, but also rests with players close enough to help...fake help, but recover as necessary as you know. Hamlet has never seen a Zach in the lane before...just hope Zach does NOT slap down and another concern is Mason/Aaron preparing to help the helper and the secondary rotation down to help Mason/Aaron.

How the game is called will no doubt force some adjustments and we don't know if the crew has worked together or not, but you hope the three refs rotate their areas of assignment (sorry bo, you should only call in your area), that each ref shares a consistent view so that rotation of refs into different areas are consistent in how it is called.

Purdue has played good guards before and did a good job, but this may be the first lefty for a while. As far as individual D on Hamlet, I'm guessing Purdue does the following:1)Eric will have him most the time, but whoever the Purdue player is I expect them to pick him up the length of the court with sufficient pressure that Hamlet knows he is there, but cannot blow by. 2)This would be my preference and not all that common for Purdue, but once the ball is out of his hands I think effort on D to make it hard to get the ball back would leave less time for him when he gets the ball back or possibly force others to try to break down the D. 3) When he gets the ball on the wing to baseline, try to force more baseline to keep him out of the lane where he wants to go and cut the court in half reducing the space to cover. These ar all guesses, but we know Lutz will see a LOT of tape and if all of us can see that Hamlet makes them go...Lutz does as well. Well, there you have it...what I do not know! ;)

Reactions: buffboiler and Flot
How the game is called will no doubt force some adjustments and we don't know if the crew has worked together or not, but you hope the three refs rotate their areas of assignment (sorry bo, you should only call in your area), that each ref shares a consistent view so that rotation of refs into different areas are consistent in how it is called.
Speaking of this, I heard that a group of officials went out and got COVID, anyone know if it was Bo and his crew? Sounds like something he would do.

Speaking of this, I heard that a group of officials went out and got COVID, anyone know if it was Bo and his crew? Sounds like something he would do.
Nothing different...Bo doesn't have to be in the gym to make a call. It is just a slight extension from where he normally makes calls and then doesn't see anything in front of him...

• Haha
Reactions: punaj and Level 42
I've posted so many things in so many places... ;) Watched maybe a third of his highlights. Yes, in previous posts I said almost all test the ball for air immediately upong receiving the ball and that containing the dribble will be key. In a previous post I mentioned that many times they just clear out a bit and start the offense on the two player side of the lane to start to see if they can break down and start rotations...and other times it will be on the triangle side. No question he is very important to them and shoots on average 2.5 times behind the arc, but will take more against Purdue if it is there. I don't expect Eric to give him as much room as he normally has, but in ERic's mind I expect stopping penetration is the most important thing. I have no idea how NT will shoot in the dome, but Hamlet leads them as Tre leads Purdue. If Hamlet is contained, I have no idea who would fill for them. If Tre is contained, Purdue has an answer. Going off memory, but think I wrote previously that he gets to the line twice that as the next player and also shoots 30% more than the next player and so this ball dominant player dictates the success of NT. I'm reminded a bit of Tony Carr (penn state a couple of years ago), but perhaps a bit shorter and quicker as far as desiring getting into the lane, but can also shoot from the outside.

I only watched the WKU game and FULLY aware that seeing a team once can fool you. However, the stats do tell a story of tendencies moreso than effectiveness since competition can effect results. With that in mind....Hamlet shoots a lot and gets to the line a lot, but is fourth on 3pt shots attempted? If you get to the line a lot...you are driving the lane generally and since he shoots a lot...protecting the lane will be a priority...and why dribble containment will be key IMO. Actually dribble containment for all players. Dribble containment starts with the primary defender doing a good job, but also rests with players close enough to help...fake help, but recover as necessary as you know. Hamlet has never seen a Zach in the lane before...just hope Zach does NOT slap down and another concern is Mason/Aaron preparing to help the helper and the secondary rotation down to help Mason/Aaron.

Purdue has played good guards before and did a good job, but this may be the first lefty for a while. As far as individual D on Hamlet, I'm guessing Purdue does the following:1)Eric will have him most the time, but whoever the Purdue player is I expect them to pick him up the length of the court with sufficient pressure that Hamlet knows he is there, but cannot blow by. 2)This would be my preference and not all that common for Purdue, but once the ball is out of his hands I think effort on D to make it hard to get the ball back would leave less time for him when he gets the ball back or possibly force others to try to break down the D. 3) When he gets the ball on the wing to baseline, try to force more baseline to keep him out of the lane where he wants to go and cut the court in half reducing the space to cover. These ar all guesses, but we know Lutz will see a LOT of tape and if all of us can see that Hamlet makes them go...Lutz does as well. Well, there you have it...what I do not know! ;)
Dribble containment starts with the primary defender doing a good job, but also rests with players close enough to help...fake help, but recover as necessary as you know. Hamlet has never seen a Zach in the lane before...just hope Zach does NOT slap down and another concern is Mason/Aaron preparing to help the helper and the secondary rotation down to help Mason/Aaron.

Kind of where my mind was at with my comment about the defense in those highlight clips. It didn't appear to me they were doing much to help the primary on-ball defender. Maybe I am just used to watching B1G basketball and (typically) more well coached defense and generally better athletes, more length, etc., to execute the concepts. Hopefully the common theme in these highlights is he is really good at exploiting defensive weakness but maybe what we aren't seeing in the highlights is what happens when a good, athletic defense comes prepared and locked in. :)

Reactions: ejs1111 and tjreese

No names were given in the article in this mornings paper.

From Jeff Goodman:

The list: Ted Valentine, John Higgins, Roger Ayers, John Gaffney, Kipp Kissinger and Ray Natili.

Apparently when they checked in Sunday - rooms and meals were not ready, so they were allowed to leave for dinner. WHAT??? One of them tested positive meaning all six were removed for protocols.

28bd40b5177029e49be36ff6aa07b30c.jpg

Reactions: PU pit bull
Speaking of refs, don’t you think Bo should sit out the Purdue games. He calls a lot of them during the year, and just like teams don’t play in the home arenas, maybe refs should follow suit.

Reactions: Schnelk
Speaking of refs, don’t you think Bo should sit out the Purdue games. He calls a lot of them during the year, and just like teams don’t play in the home arenas, maybe refs should follow suit.
There is part of me who actually wants him because he has seen Zach play and knows how to make "proper" calls where refs who are used to small centers would think ever move he makes as a foul

Reactions: punaj
From a personal point of view I always thought it would be interesting to have a data base of the calls made by different refs ...within each of the three locations and within the other crew member in games. Not sure that locations...other than mainly inside would be of value to coaches...maybe locations for a gage of perimeter play as well, but to understand who is whistle happy, and who is not, and how the significance of those variables compare to the interactions between those variables (how refs influence other refs) at home AND away. I also wondered about lasers embedded in rims close enough together that when the ball is halfway inside the rim and a chance to go in, that x number of lasers are blocked and sync with camera to help determine if the ball is above teh cylinder or not for goal tending help. ;) Now it has me wondering who the ref was down at IU standing infront of the IU coach making a goal tending call against AJ with the view he had... :(

Reactions: punaj
From a personal point of view I always thought it would be interesting to have a data base of the calls made by different refs ...within each of the three locations and within the other crew member in games. Not sure that locations...other than mainly inside would be of value to coaches...maybe locations for a gage of perimeter play as well, but to understand who is whistle happy, and who is not, and how the significance of those variables compare to the interactions between those variables (how refs influence other refs) at home AND away. I also wondered about lasers embedded in rims close enough together that when the ball is halfway inside the rim and a chance to go in, that x number of lasers are blocked and sync with camera to help determine if the ball is above teh cylinder or not for goal tending help. ;) Now it has me wondering who the ref was down at IU standing infront of the IU coach making a goal tending call against AJ with the view he had... :(
If you’re tracking Bo’s numbers you would have to add the point spread as a data point.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
If you’re tracking Bo’s numbers you would have to add the point spread as a data point.
I actually know referees that checked the half time fouls and would even them up the next half...thought was teh fair way to do it. ;)

Reactions: proudopete
Someone here posted an article stating that Bo is hated by fans at all schools. One school's fans started a petition to keep him from refereeing their games. The Big Ten and NCAA may think this proves that he is a good referee, because the complaints from every school indicates that he is treating everyone equally. They are wrong. The complaints arise from Bo making unbelievably bad calls. There is no consistency, even from one play to the next. So there is no way to adjust to how he calls games. He sees things that aren't there.

Someone here posted an article stating that Bo is hated by fans at all schools. One school's fans started a petition to keep him from refereeing their games. The Big Ten and NCAA may think this proves that he is a good referee, because the complaints from every school indicates that he is treating everyone equally. They are wrong. The complaints arise from Bo making unbelievably bad calls. There is no consistency, even from one play to the next. So there is no way to adjust to how he calls games. He sees things that aren't there.
Andy, he's looking for a call. And still makes them if there isn't one.

A lot is being made of the NT defense. So I thought I’d look up their adjusted defensive efficiency rating and compare to Purdue and it’s opponents this season.

5. Illinois
7. Michigan
12. Wisconsin
18. Rutgers
20. Clemson
23. Purdue
27. Maryland
28. Northwestern
34. Michigan State
38. Indiana
39. Nebraska
41. North Texas
49. Penn State
50. Iowa
51. Minnesota
78. Ohio St
81. Indiana St
105. Miami
120. Valpo
167. Liberty
194. Notre Dame
299. Oakland

The metrics indicate their defense is on par with a typical Big Ten team. Purdue should be prepared for this. Bring our B game or better tomorrow and it might not be pretty, like a lot of our 13 conference wins, but it should be a win

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT