ADVERTISEMENT

The next 2-3 years

Oh....hmm...So, you sat down with Shaka, Barnes and Altman and have a conversation? Discuss money? That's interesting.
I bet you thought Brohm was going to Lville, right?

No actually on Brohm thought he might stay. What he has going on at PU could be special. Great hire for Purdue. IMO those above mentioned are already highly compensated and wouldn't take a big gamble lateral move at best. Don't you think they have as good or better chance to get to a final four from Texas or Oregon.?

One more Keady player got time in the NBA. In fact, that guy still has the 2nd best career of any player while wearing #49 in the NBA: Melvin McCants.

He played only 13 games with the Lakers before getting injured. Shandon Anderson has been the only other player to wear #49 in the NBA.

thanks for the info, 02....the odds are steadily improving.

mel_mc_cants.jpg

Back to the original question, if Painter misses the tournament for 2 straight years with no visible improvement, he should definitely be fired. If he misses 2 but if there is a definite improvement in either the record or recruiting, maybe one more year. If he doesn't reach at least Sweet Sixteen in 4 years, we should start considering him on a hot seat. If he makes the tournament consistently but can't get back to at least Sweet Sixteen for the next 5 years, we should make a change.

Simply put, I object to firing Painter simply because he can't recruit 5-4 stars or not going past Sweet Sixteen, unless we have a proven commodity like Brad Stevens lined up to coach Boilermakers. However, in my opinion, Painter should still make it to at least one Sweet Sixteen every 5 years, minimum.

Oh....so close, Lenny, but I may have to take that bet even if you don't count the original Mr. Smooth, Keith Edmonson. :)

Keith Edmonson* (recruited by Fred Schaus/Lee Rose)
Russell Cross
Jim Rowinski
Doug Lee
Todd Mitchell
Everette Stephens
Melvin McCants
Steve Scheffler
Jimmy Oliver
Glenn Robinson
Cuonzo Martin
Brad Miller
Brian Cardinal
Carl Landry* (finished career under Matt Painter)

Perhaps a judges' ruling if someone can help confirm the list.

fb1259aa-edae-4d6a-ac89-e76291c9ec46_text_hi.gif

If your numbers are correct, that’s 13 in 25 years?
I’d be interested to see how that compares with the rest of the B10 over that same timeframe.
One thing you’ll notice: not a guard on that list( maybe Stephens)

No actually on Brohm thought he might stay. What he has going on at PU could be special. Great hire for Purdue. IMO those above mentioned are already highly compensated and wouldn't take a big gamble lateral move at best. Don't you think they have as good or better chance to get to a final four from Texas or Oregon.?

My opinion is that UT will always be first and foremost a football school in a football state. While they’ve got a ton of resources and money, you have to wonder if BB gets similar support to FB. FSU game last week is a good comparison: FB school in a FB state that can barely fill 1/2 its arena for two top 20 teams.
Purdue would put Smart in the middle of the best basketball recruiting grounds in the country. He’d have the resources he’d need under MBob and we’ve shown we’ll pay top salary.

He’d have the resources he’d need under MBob and we’ve shown we’ll pay top salary.
You sure about those 2 assertions? We have made those investments for FB, but I think we can all agree there was a lot more upside there.

Mackeys already full most games, and they’re already selling tons of hotdogs, beer and gear, so not sure there’s a ton of potential ROI in hoops, especially compared to FB. How are you going to make up that additional $2-$3 million that you are proposing to spend?

When Mackey isn’t full is when CMP will be in trouble IMO.

You sure about those 2 assertions? We have made those investments for FB, but I think we can all agree there was a lot more upside there.

Mackeys already full most games, and they’re already selling tons of hotdogs, beer and gear, so not sure there’s a ton of potential ROI in hoops, especially compared to FB. How are you going to make up that additional $2-$3 million that you are proposing to spend?

When Mackey isn’t full is when CMP will be in trouble IMO.
$2-3M at a B10 school is a rounding error. The money is there, you just need visionaries in the AD and admin to be willing to take risk.

$2-3M at a B10 school is a rounding error. The money is there, you just need visionaries in the AD and admin to be willing to take risk.
So you admit the ROI isn’t there? Mitch and MBob are spending big money on football because they saw the increased revenue possibilities.

So you admit the ROI isn’t there? Mitch and MBob are spending big money on football because they saw the increased revenue possibilities.
Also football needs the influx of money because it makes more of it. It's actually quite impressive that We have accomplished what we have in basketball since the money put in to it is pretty average at best.

That is another reason why we won't see a change in head coach because the focus is football for the near future. I am glad Bobo did whatever he had to to keep Brohm, but we have to get the ROI now like you said and keep the train going.

Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT