ADVERTISEMENT

The Facts

A coach's job is to get players open shots coach painter did this if you watch the game you would know this they were wide open what a coach can't do is take the shots for them this team always plays better when they're Underdog so do most teams if a Coach could coach that out of them there would be no upsets in the tournament coach Painter is a fantastic coach period.

A coach's job is to get players open shots coach painter did this if you watch the game you would know this they were wide open what a coach can't do is take the shots for them this team always plays better when they're Underdog so do most teams if a Coach could coach that out of them there would be no upsets in the tournament coach Painter is a fantastic coach period.
What March statistics do you have to back up the “fantastic” claim?

Saying a coach can’t make the shots could be claimed by any coach in the history of basketball.

He trusts bucketmakers.

Yes deep down, anyone that turns the ball over just bothers him alot to no end.....to the point he has trust issues with the player.

Unless of course you are a bucketmaker...then he trusts you.. And this is why his leash has been like a choke collar on anybody not named, Ivey, CE or Edey of late.

Of course this is the exact thing that causes late season choke jobs. As the players that don't have his trust, and have any negative plays have been trained to shut down their natural basketball instincts in favor of perfect game plan play. Sad really, and is the only beef I have with his coaching.

Btw he also trusts guys he thinks are his best defenders. But then come March, that doesn't really help you anyway, as it's all about scoring.
Its all about scoring, tell that to San Diego St.?

I think other than what I mentioned CMP only has a couple flaws other than the postseason..

One, short term recruiting. And two, working the refs.

But he is a winner with 4 B10 championships and two B10 tourneys. That is outstanding. There is a lot of value for the fan going to home games or watching on TV and knowing most times will be a win. That is not the case everywhere. In some places, hardly ever. We are lucky to have a guy that knows how to make winners.
Yeah…… that was a good ride……..just watch that last step it’s a doozy

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
You’re happy with Painter
Yes.

for as long as he wants to stay?

No. I predict he either.....
He breaks through for a NC with Edey who stays.... or with Colvin & Catchings.

Or Negative recruiting and nil works against him and Purdue slumps to mid pack team where that will get him fired in 2-4 years.

But right now he is very, very safe. I know why it's a discussion, but no one, absolutely NO ONE fires a championship coach. Not going to happen. People are wasting their breath and key strokes.

Yes.

No. I predict he either.....
He breaks through for a NC with Edey who stays.... or with Colvin & Catchings.

Or Negative recruiting and nil works against him and Purdue slumps to mid pack team where that will get him fired in 2-4 years.

But right now he is very, very safe. I know why it's a discussion, but no one, absolutely NO ONE fires a championship coach. Not going to happen. People are wasting their breath and key strokes.
Negative recruiting? What’s that?

• Haha
Reactions: Boiler Buck
In his 18 years, Painter has never beaten a seed more that 1 seed lower (maybe St Mary’s, but they don’t count) .
You'all understand that if your enter the tourney as a high seed, you don't get to play other high seeds until the end, right? This whole "beat a higher seed" story is simply nonsense, making everyone feel worse. Yep, I didn't like the outcome either, but this Higher Seed story has no grounds.

I knew in my heart that our freshmen would eventually hit a wall. Almost every freshman does. We depended so heavily on Loyer and Smith that they just burned out. For some reason, maybe the balls?, we couldn't hit the ocean standing on the shore in that last game. Shoot like we did earlier in the year on those game-of-horse shots we had, and we run those guys out of the gym.

You know basically what you have posted here since the last loss...... except done by other coaches we compete against for transfers & recruits lol.
Isn’t that the other coaches job? You don’t think Painter does that?

You'all understand that if your enter the tourney as a high seed, you don't get to play other high seeds until the end, right? This whole "beat a higher seed" story is simply nonsense, making everyone feel worse. Yep, I didn't like the outcome either, but this Higher Seed story has no grounds.

I knew in my heart that our freshmen would eventually hit a wall. Almost every freshman does. We depended so heavily on Loyer and Smith that they just burned out. For some reason, maybe the balls?, we couldn't hit the ocean standing on the shore in that last game. Shoot like we did earlier in the year on those game-of-horse shots we had, and we run those guys out of the gym.
The "balls"? That's a good one but harsh.

Reactions: mathboy
Not sure I believe that… had the national player of the year this season and couldnt beat a 16 seed.
Of course it sucks, but I recall when MSU had a kid named Valentine. He also made POY. MSU was upset that year by a 15 seed. Thought it was funny then, not so much now.

Reactions: Schnelk

Perhaps the biggest questions that needs inquiry are not so much this portal player or that one, but WHY did players shoot so poorly and if Purdue can develop a more versatile 4?

Perhaps the biggest questions that needs inquiry are not so much this portal player or that one, but WHY did players shoot so poorly and if Purdue can develop a more versatile 4?
I’d like to point my finger at the NCAA balls, but our shooting woes started earlier. Loyer went cold about the time he got injured, which was about half way through the BIG schedule. Gillis was hot in the PSU game but couldn’t repeat that feat. Furst and Gillis would usually hit 2-3 3-pointers somewhere in the game. They went cold too. Jenkins was MIA, and Smith tried but failed too.

I’m starting to wonder if (1) the team gets mentally tired by end of season, and we need to practice differently, or (2) something in the way Painter handles motivation is going off the tracks. I dont have answers, only wild speculation. I know damn sure it’s not zone defense or getting rid of the POY that is the reason for our guys missing wide open shots.

Of course it sucks, but I recall when MSU had a kid named Valentine. He also made POY. MSU was upset that year by a 15 seed. Thought it was funny then, not so much now.
Umm and how many Final fours and elite 8's for Izzo? He gets a pass. Let's see Painter get one FF before even hinting to compare to Izzo.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT