ADVERTISEMENT

The Case Against Painter

phillipmsmith

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2011
Ok this has happened so often now it is a trend and not an aberration. In its last 3 NCAA appearances, Purdue has managed to lose 3 games it absolutely had locked up and won. And the reasons are many and they are ALL on the coach. Painter's motion offense is outdated, boring and ineffective. Why can't Painter recruit a point guard? The answer is simple. Why would any good point guard want to play in a system where you can't shoot open shots when you have them(even if it is early in the shot clock) can't run the floor and can't try to penetrate and score against the press. Izzo's teams run sets but they also run like hell to get open looks whenever they can and don't squander those looks by puckering up and being afraid to shoot. And the objective of breaking a press is to try to score against it, not use up a third of the shot clock just to get the ball across the half court line and then rush into that totally ineffective offense that more often than not ends up with a bad desperation shot. Purdue is becoming a place where good shooters go to die because the coach destroys their confidence.(I.e Kendall). And another team confidence destroyer has been Painters strategy to protect leads instead of expanding them. John Wooden always believed you never took your foot off the pedal until the other team quit. Time after time after time Painter's teams have squandered big leads both in season and post season because he thought the games were won and let up on the gas. He has never learned that lesson. If Painter is ever going to be able turn this around, his will to win has got to overcome his fear of losing. One last point, I feel for the players as I believe they played hard. They just weren't prepared by their coach to know how to win. Such a shame. This may have been the greatest waste of talent in NCAA history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News