ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Dischinger Passes Away at age 82.

Travis Miller

Publisher
Staff
May 30, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
www.boilerupload.com
Dischinger was one of Purdue's all-time greats. Three-time All-American, Olympic Gold Medalist, Two-Time Consensus First Team All-American. He still holds the double-doubles record fo 54. He also served two years in the military in the middle of his NBA career, played part-time as a rookie while finishing his degree in chemical engineering, and he became a successful orthodontist once his playing days were over.

He is in the Indiana basketball Hall of Fame, the College Basketball Hall of Fame, and the Naismith Hall of Fame (as part of the 1960 Olympic team).

Very saddened to hear of Terry Dischinger's passing. Was before my time following Purdue, but as I became more entrenched as a Boilermaker and learned more of the great legends of the past, I came to much more fully appreciate what they meant to Purdue and to all of us.

Courtesy of long-time poster, @Professor Emeritus, here's a little bit about Dr. Dischinger when he went into the collegiate hall of fame.

http://halloffameweekend.com/induction/news/2019/class_of_2019

From the release:

Terry Dischinger was a scoring and rebounding machine in his three varsity seasons at Purdue. From 1959-62, Dischinger averaged 28.3 points per game – the third-highest average in program history – along with a school-record 13.7 rebounds per game. He also holds the Purdue record for free throws made with 713. Dischinger earned All-Big Ten accolades in each of his varsity seasons and was a second-team All-American as a sophomore and consensus first-team All-American as a junior and senior. Dischinger was a member of the 1960 gold medal USA Basketball team and went on to win the NBA Rookie of the Year award in 1963 and make three NBA All-Star Teams.

I reference Dr. Dischinger because after his playing days of putting smiles on many of the Boilermakers' faithful, he decided to fix them as an orthodontist. IIRC, he retired from his Oregon practice, and his son took over the day-to-day patient care.

Truly a Boilermaker legend....RIP, Dr. Terry Dischinger. Prayers go out to his family.

640px-Terry_Dischinger_Purdue.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT