ADVERTISEMENT

Taking Golf Clubs on Flights

givemesomemo87

True Freshman
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2011
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Has anyone done this? I want to visit my brother in South Carolina and play some courses in the Beaufort/Charleston/HHI areas but I don't want to chance losing my golf clubs. My buddy flew to Vegas last year through Spirit Airlines and his clubs didn't arrive until the day he was leaving. I can't play with blades and have to have forgiving irons to have fun, hence me wanting to play with my own set. Have any of you Knuckleheads had success taking your own golf clubs on a flight?

Has anyone done this? I want to visit my brother in South Carolina and play some courses in the Beaufort/Charleston/HHI areas but I don't want to chance losing my golf clubs. My buddy flew to Vegas last year through Spirit Airlines and his clubs didn't arrive until the day he was leaving. I can't play with blades and have to have forgiving irons to have fun, hence me wanting to play with my own set. Have any of you Knuckleheads had success taking your own golf clubs on a flight?
I have a couple of times before and had no problems. Get a proper bag that is lockable would be my only recommedation.

Spirit Airlines isn't exactly the gold standard. That's like saying you were disappointed in the ground beef at McDonalds.

Is your flight non-stop? If so, do that. And it will be cheaper than shipping them. However, the rate of losing luggage is not exactly high. You have a .003% chance of the airline losing your bag.

Do not do curbside check-in. That's where a lot of lost luggage originates from.

Last edited:
My son travels a lot and just rents clubs wherever he goes. It's less hassle and about the same cost as paying to have them on the flight with you. Barring that, I'd say FEDEX makes a lot of sense. A lot cheaper than paying for the Airlines to take them for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT