ADVERTISEMENT

Super Bowl tonight for Illinois

HUD628

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
It's their Super Bowl, much like it has been every team's for the past 3 years when we go on the road. This game means nothing to Purdue and the world to Illinois. They should win, and we shouldn't care much when they do. Let em have it. We need to worry about Wisconsin and the NCAA tournament, and that's all.

Every game means something to Purdue. I assure you that CMP and the team are not thinking about Wisconsin right now. They're thinking about Shannon and Domask and the clown that is Coleman Hawkins. Is this another thread that we should play Heide, Colvin, Martin, Waddell and Berg 20+ minutes? Wouldn't it be great to win the outright title on their home floor and win the B1G by 3 games instead of 1? Wouldn't it be great to put a stranglehold on the #1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament?

I see it a bit different. Purdue has to play with confidence on the road and learn to win away from Mackey.

This is an excellent opportunity for Purdue to flex its muscles, shake off any rust before the tourneys, and start the March to the Final Four.
This is the mentality.

It's their Super Bowl, much like it has been every team's for the past 3 years when we go on the road. This game means nothing to Purdue and the world to Illinois. They should win, and we shouldn't care much when they do. Let em have it. We need to worry about Wisconsin and the NCAA tournament, and that's all.
no.
competitors compete.
and then there's not reliving their end of season slide last year.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I still want to win. But it's like playing with house money for us. If we win, it will be hilarious as we'll probably win the Big Ten by 3 games instead of just 1. Their fans who have been on Twitter all season talking about how good and relevant they are will be forced to end the regular season with their best win being a home game against MSU.

If we lose, we'll still win the Big Ten. We'll still get #1 seeds in both the BTT and NCAAT. Nothing changes for us big picture.

Reactions: HUD628
I have a conundrum - driving out to the game from NY this weekend with my 2 boys who have never been to Mackey. Now if we were to lose tonight we would be playing for the sole Big Ten Championship on Senior Night. I would never hope we lose a game but this is one that if we do lose could make Sunday quite the road trip for them - assuming we win of course.

Reactions: SKYDOG and rgarlitz
I have a conundrum - driving out to the game from NY this weekend with my 2 boys who have never been to Mackey. Now if we were to lose tonight we would be playing for the sole Big Ten Championship on Senior Night. I would never hope we lose a game but this is one that if we do lose could make Sunday quite the road trip for them - assuming we win of course.
Zach Edeys senior day is worth the trip alone, IMO.

no.
competitors compete.
and then there's not reliving their end of season slide last year.

I still want to win. But it's like playing with house money for us. If we win, it will be hilarious as we'll probably win the Big Ten by 3 games instead of just 1. Their fans who have been on Twitter all season talking about how good and relevant they are will be forced to end the regular season with their best win being a home game against MSU.

If we lose, we'll still win the Big Ten. We'll still get #1 seeds in both the BTT and NCAAT. Nothing changes for us big picture.

I understand all the points of view here and the OP, whether or not I agree. Nothing is guaranteed - just look at Wisconsin from two years ago - hosting a much inferior Nebraska team up a game over Illinois. I think that's what Beilein was getting at - it isn't over until it's over - now I like Purdue's chances, but they do need to finish, and it would be good to see a strong finish. Tonight is a tall order.....on the road (hostile environment), a team that is hot (at least offensively) and talented at multiple positions and pointing to this game.

I'll be interested to see how the Purdue team responds....they need to make some open shots and play with poise. They've started somewhat slowly in several recent games.....that would not help tonight.

One other item - even though Purdue is in pretty decent shape NCAA-seed wise and what Region they'll get, one could argu that this year, the #1 overall seed is a much bigger deal with the separation from the top 3 teams at this stage - puts the top seed on the other side of the bracket. Now, on the other hand, with Purdue's recent tournament history - that seems looking way too far ahead.

So.....I'm back to the competition and the challenge......play to win and go ahead and make a statement if you want......it is a great opportunity.......embrace it and make the plays you are capable of making....the time is here.

Superbowl? Ah no. That's for bad teams. This is a great Illinois team that barely lost to Purdue at Purdue without their best player. They certainly have great motivation, but clearly could do well in the BTT and the NCAA tourney.

Reactions: rgarlitz and DrEss
I certainly disagree that it doesn't mean anything for us because if we win, we are outright champs. Illinois can't catch us.

I think this is a massive test for us, away from home, crowd 100% against us, and going to be a team that pushes us to execute. I think the first 5 minutes of the 1st and 2nd half are the things to watch for as we both make adjustments on the defensive side of the ball.

Looking forward to it.

I am hoping for an entertaining game that is not determined by the officials, but an homage to Jim Rowinski when Edey banks in a 3.

For Old Times' Sake.....

giphy.gif

Every game means something to Purdue. I assure you that CMP and the team are not thinking about Wisconsin right now. They're thinking about Shannon and Domask and the clown that is Coleman Hawkins. Is this another thread that we should play Heide, Colvin, Martin, Waddell and Berg 20+ minutes? Wouldn't it be great to win the outright title on their home floor and win the B1G by 3 games instead of 1? Wouldn't it be great to put a stranglehold on the #1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament?
Hope Purdue wraps of the Big league tonight rather than against Wisconsin that I think Purdue beats. Beating a high level talented team on their home court where unlike some of their games Purdue will get their best shot would be very bigly!!!

Sweet road uniforms! How about bringing those back sometime soon?
Was that game on replay this morning on BTN? It was definitely a game from that era, but I got busy and didn't have a chance to look at it a second time.

This is March. This is when you need to be at your best. Does not matter who you are playing or where you are playing , you need to bring your best every game because.....this is March!

A loss tonight (likely in my opinion) will be annoying because all the pundits will claim "this" is why Purdue can't win in March. There will be many claiming Illinois' size and athleticism are just things Purdue can't compete with, with no mention that Purdue has beaten teams with that advantage already this year (Tennessee, Alabama, Arizona, and Illinois, itself). It will be annoying. However, winning the tournament would make it all go away. :D

A loss tonight (likely in my opinion) will be annoying because all the pundits will claim "this" is why Purdue can't win in March. There will be many claiming Illinois' size and athleticism are just things Purdue can't compete with, with no mention that Purdue has beaten teams with that advantage already this year (Tennessee, Alabama, Arizona, and Illinois, itself). It will be annoying. However, winning the tournament would make it all go away. :D
I wonder if all the other teams at the top have fans that when their team was beaten knew better than the coach, and that he never changes and this is how we will get beat? I expect that is pretty common amongst fan bases

Purdue needs to make this their Super Bowl if that’s what it takes to win tonight.

This is a chance to make a statement and I for one hope they do just that.
This is neither our Super Bowl nor the Fighting ill's. Each team will be in the real Super Bowl tournament following the tedious btn tournament.

This is our last true road game of the year (we hope), so don't get too agitated if the ill come out on top. Life in the btn.

Guys I am just kind of expecting an L and prepping to not care lol. We as fans don't need to get up in arms tonight if they lose.

I fully understand that the team is going to try to win the game.
Few people are going to get up in arms over losing to a top 15 team on the road.

I would like to see them play well though. Hard fought, well played loss is fine. If they crap the bed and get blown out, less fine. Lol

I'm expecting a hurricane first 10-15 minutes though and then a slow climb back which we may or not complete in time.

Reactions: HUD628 and rgarlitz
I wonder if all the other teams at the top have fans that when their team was beaten knew better than the coach, and that he never changes and this is how we will get beat? I expect that is pretty common amongst fan bases
I would think that would depend on which "top teams" you are referring to.

Houston and UConn probably aren't questioning too much for obvious reasons.

Arizona - I would think their fans would be similar to our fans based on March results the past few seasons for them.

Tennessee - Probably close to us, being a football school, I don't know how much they care. But would guess they are close to us.

Few people are going to get up in arms over losing to a top 15 team on the road.

I would like to see them play well though. Hard fought, well played loss is fine. If they crap the bed and get blown out, less fine. Lol

I'm expecting a hurricane first 10-15 minutes though and then a slow climb back which we may or not complete in time.
Kick their ass out of spite be mean like gene

• Love
Reactions: SKYDOG
I would think that would depend on which "top teams" you are referring to.

Houston and UConn probably aren't questioning too much for obvious reasons.

Arizona - I would think their fans would be similar to our fans based on March results the past few seasons for them.

Tennessee - Probably close to us, being a football school, I don't know how much they care. But would guess they are close to us.
I just think it is an inherent thing inside all fan bases. Some probably have less members than others, but it exists in ALL fanbases...at ALL levels. It is just people. We all have opinions and many times we don't have an informed opinion, but draw conclusions on things that maybe we shouldn't. I'm no different than others in that I make decisions that I'm short on info. Too many things to learn and not enough time.

However, I'm not one to default to the "experts" for the many things. In most of my everyday life Thomas Sowell would call me constrained rather than unconstrained, but that too is not 100% and neither is for others as well.

I just think it is an inherent thing inside all fan bases. Some probably have less members than others, but it exists in ALL fanbases...at ALL levels. It is just people. We all have opinions and many times we don't have an informed opinion, but draw conclusions on things that maybe we shouldn't. I'm no different than others in that I make decisions that I'm short on info. Too many things to learn and not enough time.

However, I'm not one to default to the "experts" for the many things. In most of my everyday life Thomas Sowell would call me constrained rather than unconstrained, but that too is not 100% and neither is for others as well.
I don't go on any other teams message boards, so I have no first hand knowledge, but I would be surprised if UConn or Houston fans are complaining about too much.

I don't go on any other teams message boards, so I have no first hand knowledge, but I would be surprised if UConn or Houston fans are complaining about too much.
I don't either. Kim checks IU, but no surprise there. It may be in ON3 where someone pastes comments from other sites of teams Purdue played . I just have been to enough games over the years to hear similar things in many fans at various stages that I would expect some disagreements with all programs.
Coaches typically try to sit away from fans when the watch games or scout. Ref and their wives do the same thing. Rarely do either want to be in the middle of many. FWIW, I have looked at Facebook and I think the regular posters on this site are a cut above what you find on Facebook in that they have more intimate knowledge IMO

Superbowl? Ah no. That's for bad teams. This is a great Illinois team that barely lost to Purdue at Purdue without their best player. They certainly have great motivation, but clearly could do well in the BTT and the NCAA tourney.
My thoughts exactly. No need to denigrate Illinois. They're a top-15 team with the talent to make a March run. Sure, it's a great opportunity for a marquee win (for both teams). But nobody's season is riding on it.

Don’t see the need to take on such a strangely elitist attitude here. Know how many Big Ten banners we have in those last 3 years? 2 vs. your 3, lol. Both of us have been a #1 seed, and neither of us have much Tournament success to show for it. You have an edge in the series, and we have more wins overall. Seems odd to lump us in with PSU waiting for big bad Purdue.

Mutual respect is generally healthy, given this is an objectively hyped and exciting matchup … not Illinois’ T-shirt game because it’s our biggest opponent, haha. Here’s to a good game. 🍻

Don’t see the need to take on such a strangely elitist attitude here. Know how many Big Ten banners we have in those last 3 years? 2 vs. your 3, lol. Both of us have been a #1 seed, and neither of us have much Tournament success to show for it. You have an edge in the series, and we have more wins overall. Seems odd to lump us in with PSU waiting for big bad Purdue.

Mutual respect is generally healthy, given this is an objectively hyped and exciting matchup … not Illinois’ T-shirt game because it’s our biggest opponent, haha. Here’s to a good game. 🍻
Are you serious???

You need to spend more time with your fellow Illini humps on the Loyalty board- the “elitism” and lack of respect you gripe about here is NOTHING compared to the pathological lust for revenge and disdain for Purdue (purdon’t, as so many mensas over there refer to us) on your board.

You Featherheads salivated and stewed for WEEKS after our win in Mackey, smugly certain that things would be different tonight at SFC— whoops!

Tonight absolutely WAS your Super Bowl— too bad you once again were the Vikings😂

Your boards are FILLED with the same old ignorant,irrational shit about how “Kofi never got the calls that Edey gets” , how “purdont will lose early in the tournament anyway” and how the refs took the game from Ui…

Please spare us the lecture about respect!

Are you serious???

You need to spend more time with your fellow Illini humps on the Loyalty board- the “elitism” and lack of respect you gripe about here is NOTHING compared to the pathological lust for revenge and disdain for Purdue (purdon’t, as so many mensas over there refer to us) on your board.

You Featherheads salivated and stewed for WEEKS after our win in Mackey, smugly certain that things would be different tonight at SFC— whoops!

Tonight absolutely WAS your Super Bowl— too bad you once again were the Vikings😂

Your boards are FILLED with the same old ignorant,irrational shit about how “Kofi never got the calls that Edey gets” , how “purdont will lose early in the tournament anyway” and how the refs took the game from Ui…

Illinois fans are near tennessee level insane. They needed that one baaaaaadddd last night. Too bad their star can't shoot and their other alleged star was bullied. Domask is tough for us to handle but not enough for the poor illini.

Great win. Zach dominated enough to keep us in it and then the threes started falling. And when the threes are falling, this team is really, really tough to beat. I said the game meant nothing but now I changed my mind. Big statement. ;)

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Are you serious???

Boy you sure showed him 🙄

Im the first one to hate on other fans coming here but FOTM has been nothing but respectful here.
If you don't want to read other fans nonsense, don't go to their board. What do you think they are going to say about a rival team? There's a group of vocal dummies everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT