ADVERTISEMENT

Success of 'next man up' under Painter

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
As much as I give posters here grief about being limited in their ability and willingness to project player performance that's different from what they've seen, the majority of recent Purdue stars were really good early in their career. Does that mean that Trey and Fletch are unlikely to blow up as juniors?

Do you agree with my list below? What would you add or change? What does that mean for the outlook for guys like Trey, Fletch, Cam and Myles?

Guys who starred early - Carsen, Biggie, JI, Baby Boilers, Braden
Guys with a slower trajectory - Zach, Vince, AJH, Trevion, Haas
Guys who stalled out - Haarms, Nojel
Guys who blew up late - Cline

As much as I give posters here grief about being limited in their ability and willingness to project player performance that's different from what they've seen, the majority of recent Purdue stars were really good early in their career. Does that mean that Trey and Fletch are unlikely to blow up as juniors?

Do you agree with my list below? What would you add or change? What does that mean for the outlook for guys like Trey, Fletch, Cam and Myles?

Carsen did not star his first year, not really till his 2nd.

Carsen did not star his first year, not really till his 2nd.
I’d have to disagree. He averaged 10 ppg as a Frosh in 23 mpg and started 2/3 of the year. He hit HUGE FTs at Maryland with little time left on the clock to win that game. I remember thinking this kids a gamer and going to be real good.

Reactions: Schnelk

I think Trey and Loyer for sure can break out. Their roles so far haven’t asked/needed them to. TKR in the shadow of Zach and Loyer also played off of Zach. I know it’s coach speak but a lot of talk of Loyer having a different role and have plays run for him. He’s been lights out all summer and improved his game a lot….even assign some muscle ( 😂, even if it’s not as clear as Heide and Colvin).

TKR has the ability as we saw vs Illinois last year at Mackey. He showed in the scrimmage (for me) that he can do a lot more than what he’s asked to do during the his last few seasons. He’s a beast down low with that spin move and he can keep the defense honest by hitting the mid range or 3 from rhe PnR with Braden (which I think he’s very capable of), then we will see that jump.

The opportunity for both is certainly there and if I had to bet, I’d say they both take it. It may take some time for adjusting in LAZ (life after Zach), but I think it’ll all come together around mid January to early Feb.

Just my opinion of course 😂

Last edited:
I’d have to disagree. He averaged 10 ppg as a Frosh in 23 mpg and started 2/3 of the year. He hit HUGE FTs at Maryland with little time left on the clock to win that game. I remember thinking this kids a gamer and going to be real good.
I understand the point from the OP, Carsen didn’t put up huge numbers as a freshman, but tend to agree with you here. You could watch Carsen as a freshman and say ‘this kid is going to be a star’ in a way that I don’t think was true for Fletch, Cam or Myles. JI fell in the same category as Carsen.

I think Trey and Loyer for sure can break out. Their roles so far haven’t asked/needed them to. TKR in the shadow of Zach and Loyer also played off of Zach. I know it’s coach speak but a lot of talk of Loyer having a different role and have plays run for him. He’s been lights out all summer and improved his game a lot….even assign some muscle ( 😂, even if it’s not as clear as Heide and Colvin).

TKR has the ability as we saw vs Illinois last year at Mackey. He showed in the scrimmage (for me) that he can do a lot more than what he’s asked to do during the his last few seasons. He’s a beast down low with that spin move and he can keep the defense honest by hitting the mid range or 3 from rhe PnR with Braden (which I think he’s very capable of), then we will see that jump.

The opportunity for both is certainly there and if I had to bet, I’d say they both take it. It may take some time for adjusting in LAZ (life after Zach), but I think it’ll all come together around mid January to early Feb.

Just my opinion of course 😂
I want to agree with you and you may be right, but I’m a complete homer and as a result biased. I wanted to take a step back and ask, ‘what does history tell us about the outlook for these guys?’

I think the answer is, it’s inconclusive. Guys like Vince went from good to great, guys like DM got better but never really blew up and guys like Haarms and Nojel weren’t ready when they needed to step up.

I understand the point from the OP, Carsen didn’t put up huge numbers as a freshman, but tend to agree with you here. You could watch Carsen as a freshman and say ‘this kid is going to be a star’ in a way that I don’t think was true for Fletch, Cam or Myles. JI fell in the same category as Carsen.

How time flies...just to refresh - C-Boogie's conference debut wasn't too shabby....including the first eight points of the game.

• Love
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I want to agree with you and you may be right, but I’m a complete homer and as a result biased. I wanted to take a step back and ask, ‘what does history tell us about the outlook for these guys?’

I think the answer is, it’s inconclusive. Guys like Vince went from good to great, guys like DM got better but never really blew up and guys like Haarms and Nojel weren’t ready when they needed to step up.
Well, from what I’ve seen from TKR, his game is waaaay more complete than Haarms.

Loyer will be asked to do more and there was a reason he was asked to go to certain camps and he did well there. Kid is a competitor and gamer and I’d be surprised if he regressed and didn’t take a leap.

Well, from what I’ve seen from TKR, his game is waaaay more complete than Haarms.

Loyer will be asked to do more and there was a reason he was asked to go to certain camps and he did well there. Kid is a competitor and gamer and I’d be surprised if he regressed and didn’t take a leap.
I don't see a world in which Trey isn't significantly more productive than Matty H, particularly on offense. My question is more around whether he averages 12 to 14 ppg or 16 to 18 ppg and how productive he is on the boards and on defense. He's going to be good on offense, will he be great? Who is best to play alongside him at the 4/5 and how well can that combination score, defend, and rebound?

I completely agree that Fletch will continue to get better. My question is whether that means he becomes more efficient as Midwestern Cowboy did as an upperclassman or does he really become a consistent go-to guy and all-conference player.
Link: MWC Stats

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT