ADVERTISEMENT

Starting lineup

Mar 9, 2004
Something to think about. Just perhaps if Matt wheels out Nojel and Proctor at guard and Aaron n Tre at forwards n Matt at center. I think this could be the first lineup in Purdue history not to have an Indiana native in it. Could that be true??

Reactions: pboiler18
Something to think about. Just perhaps if Matt wheels out Nojel and Proctor at guard and Aaron n Tre at forwards n Matt at center. I think this could be the first lineup in Purdue history not to have an Indiana native in it. Could that be true??
No. That lineup would be a TERRIBLE shooting lineup. Wheeler is the only one in that group that's a halfway decent shooter.

What were " Bart Torvik's" rankings this time last year? What were you expectations of EB this time last year? Turns out grad transfers hardly ever live up to the hype.
I’m not going to do the Google for you. Math can be your friend if you ask it nicely. But the difference between Proctor and EB is sizable.

Reactions: pboiler18
He's a career 34% shooter in a really bad conference.

Not accurate at all....
Guarantee he will not only he one of the best shooters in the conference.....he will be one of the best players in the conference...
Shoulder injury hampered him last year for most of the year...
Cant wait to meet some of you posters a few months from now...
#Truth
#CantWait
#BeGreat
#BoilerUp
And oh yeah...sounds like a pretty dominant and big line-up to me....
#FinalFourBound

My two cents worth on this years team....deeper, more options going big, or athletic or small. Team will mesh and do well if we avoid the injuries, suspensions, distractions, etc as all teams worry about. We will play sound defense, run when we can, execute our sets and take advantage of a deep bench. Might take Christmas Break to see it, might not…right now with everyone healthy, working hard on and off the court the future looks good…very good especially if we add a Big or two in our upcoming recruiting classes. jmo

Not accurate at all....
Guarantee he will not only he one of the best shooters in the conference.....he will be one of the best players in the conference...
#Truth
#CantWait
#BeGreat
#BoilerUp
#FinalFourBound
They don’t know they gone find out actions always speaks louder than words. I like what I saw

My two cents worth on this years team....deeper, more options going big, or athletic or small. Team will mesh and do well if we avoid the injuries, suspensions, distractions, etc as all teams worry about. We will play sound defense, run when we can, execute our sets and take advantage of a deep bench. Might take Christmas Break to see it, might not…right now with everyone healthy, working hard on and off the court the future looks good…very good especially if we add a Big or two in our upcoming recruiting classes. jmo
Your 2 cents was worth reading great post

Imo the only guaranteed starters are wheeler, eastern, and haarms. I think we'll see alot of experimenting with the line-up in the non con.

Reactions: northside100
Not accurate at all....
#Truth
#CantWait
#BeGreat
#BoilerUp
#FinalFourBound

Imo the only guaranteed starters are wheeler, eastern, and haarms. I think we'll see alot of experimenting with the line-up in the non con.

Wheeler and Eastern are the locks. Haarms is great, but Williams could take over the starting position if they can’t play together and Williams continues to build his stamina and stay out of foul trouble. Teams just don’t have an answer for him other than get him in foul trouble.

I suspect Proctor will start and I suspect he will be better than most give him credit.

The three starters Purdue lost were the three worst defenders. The offense will take a hit as they lose the majority of their three point shots. But the defense should take a step up and the offense will have more options than Carsen and Cline on the catch and shoot. The 4 is the position that worries me the most, and if Williams moves to the 4, then the question shifts to the backup 5.

I full expect Hunter and Sasha to take the next step and Proctor and Newman to come in and have immediate impacts. Once this team finds the identify, watch out.

I don’t think they can afford to start off as slow as last year, but if they get firing on all cylinders, I could see them competing for a Big championship and following it up with another deep post season run. Haarms, Wheeler, and Eastern are all candidates to leave early for the NBA, (and Williams has potential to be an All-American) so there is plenty of talent.

My projected starting 5: Eastern, Hunter (you could swap Sasha especially if Hunter backs up the 1), Proctor (could swap Newman if he so good Painter has no choice but to start him), Wheeler, Haarms.

However in some case I could see Purdue going big and playing Eastern, Proctor, Wheeler, Williams, and Haarms. For this lineup to work, Williams and Haarms have to prove they can knock down open threes at an efficient rate.

The starters generally don’t matter, it’s the minutes and when they get them. Sasha, Hunter, Newman are going to fight for guard minutes and Williams, EB, and ED are the bigs fighting for minutes. Purdue is in a pretty great spot and I love it.

Wheeler and Eastern are the locks. Haarms is great, but Williams could take over the starting position if they can’t play together and Williams continues to build his stamina and stay out of foul trouble. Teams just don’t have an answer for him other than get him in foul trouble.

I suspect Proctor will start and I suspect he will be better than most give him credit.

The three starters Purdue lost were the three worst defenders. The offense will take a hit as they lose the majority of their three point shots. But the defense should take a step up and the offense will have more options than Carsen and Cline on the catch and shoot. The 4 is the position that worries me the most, and if Williams moves to the 4, then the question shifts to the backup 5.

I full expect Hunter and Sasha to take the next step and Proctor and Newman to come in and have immediate impacts. Once this team finds the identify, watch out.

I don’t think they can afford to start off as slow as last year, but if they get firing on all cylinders, I could see them competing for a Big championship and following it up with another deep post season run. Haarms, Wheeler, and Eastern are all candidates to leave early for the NBA, (and Williams has potential to be an All-American) so there is plenty of talent.

My projected starting 5: Eastern, Hunter (you could swap Sasha especially if Hunter backs up the 1), Proctor (could swap Newman if he so good Painter has no choice but to start him), Wheeler, Haarms.

However in some case I could see Purdue going big and playing Eastern, Proctor, Wheeler, Williams, and Haarms. For this lineup to work, Williams and Haarms have to prove they can knock down open threes at an efficient rate.

The starters generally don’t matter, it’s the minutes and when they get them. Sasha, Hunter, Newman are going to fight for guard minutes and Williams, EB, and ED are the bigs fighting for minutes. Purdue is in a pretty great spot and I love it.
I wouldn't be shocked if Williams took a starting spot. I still think haarms will start, but anything can happen. At this point williams and wheeler are the 2 players im most most excited to see how they've progressed.

Did I say that? Not at all. Proctor will be a solid backup. You wont see Eastern, Proctor, Wheeler, Williams, and Haarms on the court at the same time though.

What’s your over / under on Proctor’s 3pt % for this season?

I wouldn't be shocked if Williams took a starting spot. I still think haarms will start, but anything can happen. At this point williams and wheeler are the 2 players im most most excited to see how they've progressed.

If Tre starts some games at the 5 (barring injury) it will be based on matchups. As good as he is offensively and on the boards, and I think he’ll be excellent at both, he doesn’t provide rim protection.

I'd guess it's around 35%

That’s fair. I’m going to be optimistic and buy into the story that his low % last year was due to injury / mechanical issues and was an anomoly. I’ll put him at 38%, also assuming that he gets a fair number of open looks. If he can hit at that rate or better it could really open up the offense.

He's a career 34% shooter in a really bad conference.
38% 2 years ago and after a shoulder issue was corrected last year he shot 50% the last 6 games of the season last year from 3. Also keep in mind that he was the go to player on that team and drew the top defender. With that not always being the case now and his volume of shots comin down I expect a good % from 3 for him.

I'd guess it's around 35%

So around the same % that Carsen shot last year?

Yes, on a much lower volume.
So in your opinion will a lower volume result in a higher % because I don't see proctor shooting 6 times from deep a game like he did at high point. Even with the volume and the shoulder injury he still put up a better % (36%) at high point than what you are guessing he will get here.

So in your opinion will a lower volume result in a higher % because I don't see proctor shooting 6 times from deep a game like he did at high point. Even with the volume and the shoulder injury he still put up a better % (36%) at high point than what you are guessing he will get here.
As I said, I think he will be around 35%. I would guess he takes around 4 a game.

No. That lineup would be a TERRIBLE shooting lineup. Wheeler is the only one in that group that's a halfway decent shooter.
I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that Proctor has a better FG% than Carsen had in last years Big Ten season.

As I said, I think he will be around 35%. I would guess he takes around 4 a game.
I think it'll be better but that's ok. Is 35% in your opinion bad? You said in the hypothetical lineup at the top that wheeler would be the only halfway decent shooter in that group

I think this lineup could be good but I think you have Sasha in at the 3 instead. Move Wheeler up, and Tre Williams wins 6th man of the year award, and still plays 25 to almost 30 minutes per game. With the 3 point line being pushed back there will be some adjustment time at the collegiate level, that means a lineup like this could dominate in the paint, and making efficient 2 pointers. I think the 3 point line being pushed back helps Purdue this year where defense will be the key, and being efficient, and grinding the opponent down will win us games. Lots of strong, long, and physical pieces on this team.

Reactions: jcollins322234

Some really good thought here along with a few point that I disagree with.

1) Grady and Cline were below average individual defenders but very good team defenders. They knew where to be and how to force the ball to where they had help. They will be missed on defense, particularly in the early part of the year. Carsen was underrated as an individual defender when he was engaged (awful when he was not).

2) If Hunter starts one of three things will have happened, two of which are bad i) he is exponentially better than this year, in which he improved significantly during the year but remained significantly behind Sasha in terms of defense and decision making ii) we simply don’t have a better option, iii) injury

I think it'll be better but that's ok. Is 35% in your opinion bad? You said in the hypothetical lineup at the top that wheeler would be the only halfway decent shooter in that group
35% I would say is average. I think Wheeler will be in the high 30s%. The bigger issue with the lineup in the OP is having 3 non shooters in Eastern, Williams, and Haarms.

Some really good thought here along with a few point that I disagree with.

1) Grady and Cline were below average individual defenders but very good team defenders. They knew where to be and how to force the ball to where they had help. They will be missed on defense, particularly in the early part of the year. Carsen was underrated as an individual defender when he was engaged (awful when he was not).

2) If Hunter starts one of three things will have happened, two of which are bad i) he is exponentially better than this year, in which he improved significantly during the year but remained significantly behind Sasha in terms of defense and decision making ii) we simply don’t have a better option, iii) injury

I will have to disagree with you on Cline and Grady being very good team defenders. Cline regularly got beat, causing help to move over leaving the helpside man open and it happened so often. Grady got torched all year too and couldn’t match up against athletic 4s. The last play in regulation against Virginia, Grady was at least 20 feet away from the guy who hit the game winner. It could have been Haarms’ man, I have no clue, but Grady was the closest and the one who closed out so it sure looked like it was his fault.

Did they understand the defense? Yes I think they did. More so than the guys behind them even. But they regularly got torched. And if you can’t guard your man, that hurts the overall team defense. Teams shot so well against Purdue from 3 and the culprits were very often Grady or Cline. Or when it was on another defender, it was because somebody had to help Grady or Cline and left their man open.

The thing he will see this year could be missed assignments or not helping when it is needed. So in a way I will partially agree there. But as a whole, I think the defense will be better. I don’t expect near as many open 3s for the opponents.

As for Hunter, I saw improvement through the year. The game speed appeared to be a little bit much, but he is a good defender, willing to put in the time to improve, and a decent shooter. I like that he can shoot and handle the ball, which is why I gave him the edge. It isn’t uncommon for Purdue freshmen guards to struggle with decision making. It’s a big adjustment. I saw a very high ceiling with Hunter and he will match up better against quicker guards. Sasha is a very solid defender and he uses his size well. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sasha starts and Hunter backs up the PG. But I also wouldn’t be shocked if Hunter starts. I am a big fan both so it won’t hurt my feelings either way. I want the best lineup on the floor (and by best I mean the one that gives us the best chance to win day in and day out.)

Reactions: mathboy
The bigger issue with the lineup in the OP is having 3 non shooters in Eastern, Williams, and Haarms.
I don't think you can play Haarms and Williams together for long stretches and when they're on the court together then wheeler can't also be out there IMO.

IMO I'd go with

Eastern - leader
Proctor - 3 level scorer
Sasha - 40% shooter from deep
Wheeler - 3pt threat and above the rim player
Williams - low post presence

Gives you
shooting - proctor, Sasha, wheeler

Driving - eastern, proctor

Offensive Rebounding - Williams, eastern, wheeler (tip ins)

A go to late in the shot clock in Williams

A leader in eastern

Interesting post/logic solid. (2) comments, though : * While CE & Cline each had their defensive ?-marks, I did NOT see Grady as " (one of) the 3 worst defenders from last year. * Still don't see Sasha's upcoming role as a needed ballhandler nearly as much as I see Hunter's, or even Thompson's.

Interesting post/logic solid. (2) comments, though : * While CE & Cline each had their defensive ?-marks, I did NOT see Grady as " (one of) the 3 worst defenders from last year. * Still don't see Sasha's upcoming role as a needed ballhandler nearly as much as I see Hunter's, or even Thompson's.

I screamed at the TV every time Grady or Cline’s man buried a wide open three and I went hoarse in quite a few games. I didn’t mind Carsen’s defense as he could steal the ball and lead a fast break.

Cline and Grady weren’t lazy defenders. If the other team made a mistake they did a good job at making them pay. But they just got beat... a lot. I don’t think a single game went by that I didn’t complain about Grady on defense throughout the game.

Hunter is a great ball handler, although he struggled early. In that way, Sasha won’t match him. But they are two totally different players. It’s hard to say which style will be needed more in the starting lineup as well.

Don’t sleep on Newman either. He is a very good shooter with plenty of size/athletic ability. Much better at driving than Sasha as well. But Sasha has the experience, so initially I would give Sasha the edge in minutes.

I screamed at the TV every time Grady or Cline’s man buried a wide open three and I went hoarse in quite a few games. I didn’t mind Carsen’s defense as he could steal the ball and lead a fast break.

Cline and Grady weren’t lazy defenders. If the other team made a mistake they did a good job at making them pay. But they just got beat... a lot. I don’t think a single game went by that I didn’t complain about Grady on defense throughout the game.

Hunter is a great ball handler, although he struggled early. In that way, Sasha won’t match him. But they are two totally different players. It’s hard to say which style will be needed more in the starting lineup as well.

Don’t sleep on Newman either. He is a very good shooter with plenty of size/athletic ability. Much better at driving than Sasha as well. But Sasha has the experience, so initially I would give Sasha the edge in minutes.
O.K. My man Grady, you'll recall, as the primary defender of the opponent's 4 PLUS his responsibilities on the defensive boards, probably wouldn't be expected to be as much of a stopper @ the 3-line as would CE, Ryan and Nojel. Can't be an undersized interior defender/rebounder AND smother perimeter shooters.

Remember, folks, it was BoilerIron who also said he had the inside scoop on the Gillis injury and that Gillis wouldn't play this season. That looks to be aging well.

Reactions: StickPurdue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT