ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
I actually think Payne Durham is getting too much action. He has multiple key drops on offense this year, was a disaster blocking (along with others) on that 2nd and 1 and 3 straight run failures.

Payne was the guy who didn’t block anyone on the Minnesota field goal block and he had two opportunities.

While Payne did block a guy on the Nebraska punt block, he was standing right next to Samesi and they double teamed a guy, lack of communication?? Samesi should have blocked the other guy who ended up blocking the punt.

Payne was the guilty party on the Minnesota end of game offensive pass interference call as well. The sad part is he didn’t even need to extend his arm, he had separation.

For those wondering, DJ Johnson (opt out) was seemingly the cause for the kickoff return.

I just wonder if Payne’s being asked to do too much. Just remember he was primarily a lacross player. For a guy with “great hands” there’s been several key drops that are head scratchers, plus some miscues on special teams and blocking on offense.

Lastly, if you think our special teams has had it rough, check out the Chargers special teams today.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401220237

For those who didn’t look at the Charger game, here’s a recap.

1) Missed 46 yard field goal.
2) Gave up 70 yard punt return for TD
3) Had a blocked FG returned for TD.

That was all before halftime.

4) Another punt was 58 yards and gave up a 61 yard return to the 17 yard line.

Just to really give you perspective, they also had:
5) 45 yard punt.
6) attempted punt, false start (-5 yards), 54 yard punt with 14 yard return. 35 yards net.

Needless to say they went three straight possessions turning it over on downs to end the game.

I actually don’t mind our special teams, there’s been some miscues but I’m seeing a resemblance of a return game where they actually kicked it away from Sheffield.

I have a lot of faith in Dellinger, which is a welcome sign over my typical skeptical kicker faith.

Punting, I don’t know what’s going on. My guess is Brooks is over kicking and/or struggling with the weather/field conditions.

I actually think Payne Durham is getting too much action. He has multiple key drops on offense this year, was a disaster blocking (along with others) on that 2nd and 1 and 3 straight run failures.

Payne was the guy who didn’t block anyone on the Minnesota field goal block and he had two opportunities.

While Payne did block a guy on the Nebraska punt block, he was standing right next to Samesi and they double teamed a guy, lack of communication?? Samesi should have blocked the other guy who ended up blocking the punt.

Payne was the guilty party on the Minnesota end of game offensive pass interference call as well. The sad part is he didn’t even need to extend his arm, he had separation.

For those wondering, DJ Johnson (opt out) was seemingly the cause for the kickoff return.

I just wonder if Payne’s being asked to do too much. Just remember he was primarily a lacross player. For a guy with “great hands” there’s been several key drops that are head scratchers, plus some miscues on special teams and blocking on offense.

Lastly, if you think our special teams has had it rough, check out the Chargers special teams today.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401220237
Payne musta made your daughter walk home from his apartment? He’s had 2 drops this year. A big one against NW. that’s it 2. You know our FG blocking scheme vs Minnesota ( and really every week) ? First you punch with an arm inside and then spin outside. The OT didnt pivot back out. Really a moot point because that guy didn’t block the FG. It’s blocked up the middle . You should watch the game. Minnesota never pushed off and actually caught the game winner, unless your opinion is opposite of ever sportscaster in America. Nebraska punt, clearly 97’s man. Again, watch the game. Rutgers game graded the highest rated blocker. Same with Iowa and Illinois. You should really watch the game, because most of what you said is false. Maybe he will call Uber for your daughter next time...

For those who didn’t look at the Charger game, here’s a recap.

1) Missed 46 yard field goal.
2) Gave up 70 yard punt return for TD
3) Had a blocked FG returned for TD.

That was all before halftime.

4) Another punt was 58 yards and gave up a 61 yard return to the 17 yard line.

Just to really give you perspective, they also had:
5) 45 yard punt.
6) attempted punt, false start (-5 yards), 54 yard punt with 14 yard return. 35 yards net.

Needless to say they went three straight possessions turning it over on downs to end the game.

I actually don’t mind our special teams, there’s been some miscues but I’m seeing a resemblance of a return game where they actually kicked it away from Sheffield.

I have a lot of faith in Dellinger, which is a welcome sign over my typical skeptical kicker faith.

Punting, I don’t know what’s going on. My guess is Brooks is over kicking and/or struggling with the weather/field conditions.

Ur bound to get some decent returns when you get as many kickoff return opportunities as we do.

@BlkGoldHoops Thanks for setting a good example on how to write personal insults, against an avid Purdue fan nonetheless.

Channel that energy towards the team instead? Try to solve problems rather than create? I appreciate the other comments.

I’m unsure if you really understood my posts because while personally attacking me, you mostly supported what I stated, thank you. Does it make you feel good to demean others?

I watch more Purdue tape then I ever should for not being a coach or player. I could actually show you the tape but I apparently have a daughter I need to go pick up.

I’ll have you set up for a kick and have someone running free at you. I’m sure you’ll not be distracted at all. So not blocking anybody is OK? Didn’t say his guy blocked the kick...

As for the Minnesota call, I don’t like it as much as anybody else, but watch the tape, his arm extends, I can at least see the basis for why the call was made. I never said anything about pushing off but he was the guy on the play...

On the Nebraska punt block, agree it’s Samesi’s (#97) man, that’s what I said, maybe they could communicate better???

So being the highest related blocker doesn’t mean he was a GOOD blocker on all plays. Does PFF grade TE’s the same as OL? Does PFF take in consideration, the importance of a play, like QBR? or grade all plays the same? What was his rating on the plays I mentioned?

From the lack of tape I watched, my guess is Garvin was the lowest rated.

How about them key drops you talked about? What’s considered a drop? When it hits your hands? Or when it literally is dropped?

Point is, he’s been involved in a lot of high profile plays, I just wonder if he’s being asked to do too much on offense and special teams. I actually like the guy.

While I like stats, like PFF grades, do you think that’s really the only basis one can judge? If so, Plummer’s rating was pretty good.

I suggest you actually look at the tape, that’s why I have so much optimism about Purdue football, especially on offense, there’s so many unrealized opportunities.

@BlkGoldHoops Thanks for setting a good example on how to write personal insults, against an avid Purdue fan nonetheless.

Channel that energy towards the team instead? Try to solve problems rather than create? I appreciate the other comments.

I’m unsure if you really understood my posts because while personally attacking me, you mostly supported what I stated, thank you. Does it make you feel good to demean others?

I watch more Purdue tape then I ever should for not being a coach or player. I could actually show you the tape but I apparently have a daughter I need to go pick up.

I’ll have you set up for a kick and have someone running free at you. I’m sure you’ll not be distracted at all. So not blocking anybody is OK? Didn’t say his guy blocked the kick...

As for the Minnesota call, I don’t like it as much as anybody else, but watch the tape, his arm extends, I can at least see the basis for why the call was made. I never said anything about pushing off but he was the guy on the play...

On the Nebraska punt block, agree it’s Samesi’s (#97) man, that’s what I said, maybe they could communicate better???

So being the highest related blocker doesn’t mean he was a GOOD blocker on all plays. Does PFF grade TE’s the same as OL? Does PFF take in consideration, the importance of a play, like QBR? or grade all plays the same? What was his rating on the plays I mentioned?

From the lack of tape I watched, my guess is Garvin was the lowest rated.

How about them key drops you talked about? What’s considered a drop? When it hits your hands? Or when it literally is dropped?

Point is, he’s been involved in a lot of high profile plays, I just wonder if he’s being asked to do too much on offense and special teams. I actually like the guy.

While I like stats, like PFF grades, do you think that’s really the only basis one can judge? If so, Plummer’s rating was pretty good.

I suggest you actually look at the tape, that’s why I have so much optimism about Purdue football, especially on offense, there’s so many unrealized opportunities.
You have too much time on your hands. Maybe should focus more on telling your daughter to stay home more. I watch tape too. And keep all skill players stats. What problems can I solve for the team? Or can you? You calling Brohm on Saturday nights? Communicate better on a punt protection? It is communicated. I’m on the right. I take the guy to the right. Your on the left, you take the guy to the left. What more communication is there? So why pin that on 87 in your “ professional analysis” you did? You CLEARLY said Payne didn’t block anybody on the blocked field goal at Minny . Again from where u sit, you don’t know the punch and pivot outside scheme Biagi runs. Watch last year with another special teams coach who had them lean a shoulder in and extend a leg to the outside. Like I said, understand the game. Lastly “ multiple key drops” mean more than 2 I would think. But you do you. I thought Durham had an awful NW game. Key drop in the red zone and didn’t block anyone the whole night. Other than that he’s pretty consistent. What’s next? Anthrop sux? Horvath sux because he only had 21 yards? We should bench Rondale because he dropped a TD against Minny?

You have too much time on your hands. Maybe should focus more on telling your daughter to stay home more. I watch tape too. And keep all skill players stats. What problems can I solve for the team? Or can you? You calling Brohm on Saturday nights? Communicate better on a punt protection? It is communicated. I’m on the right. I take the guy to the right. Your on the left, you take the guy to the left. What more communication is there? So why pin that on 87 in your “ professional analysis” you did? You CLEARLY said Payne didn’t block anybody on the blocked field goal at Minny . Again from where u sit, you don’t know the punch and pivot outside scheme Biagi runs. Watch last year with another special teams coach who had them lean a shoulder in and extend a leg to the outside. Like I said, understand the game. Lastly “ multiple key drops” mean more than 2 I would think. But you do you. I thought Durham had an awful NW game. Key drop in the red zone and didn’t block anyone the whole night. Other than that he’s pretty consistent. What’s next? Anthrop sux? Horvath sux because he only had 21 yards? We should bench Rondale because he dropped a TD against Minny?

I find it ironic that you're telling me there's no way to know how the teams are coached, yet you are telling me how they are coached. You literally contradict yourself. Then you contradict yourself again by saying I have too much time on my hands for watching film but you do the same AND KEEP STATS? You realize you lose your credibility with those contradicting statements right?

I provided specific things in my original post, answered all your generalized comments with specific comments, proved you agreed with me, asked you questions which you didn't respond to and then you go on more personal attacks and tangents.

You're not looking to learn or discuss, you apparently already know everything. You are looking to insult. Is that how you approach life? You are clearly not a good manager if a manager at all. What's your profession? These are life lessons, not Purdue football rivals forum lessons FYI.

Congrats on keeping personal stats for the team. If so, share your knowledge. What stats are you tracking, snap counts? Grading each player each play? Down and distance and play call? Player groupings on calls? How does those personal stats make you the expert? Why haven't you shared with all of us other unknowledgeable Purdue fans? I'd enjoy seeing your insight.

Whenever you actually want to talk facts and specifics about Purdue football, especially the plays I mentioned that I wonder if Durham's being asked to do too much, I'm here. Although you probably won't because your pride will get in the way.

Instead of learning and acknowledging you have:
- provided generalized comments,
- actually agreed with me,
- did not answer my corresponding questions,
- changed the topic,
- demonstrated a lack of reading comprehension skills and
- typed petty personal insults rather than discussion points to another avid Purdue fan,

You'll demonstrate your ineptitude by responding and doing the same thing again. I'm reminded of that famous Mark Twain attributed quote:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Even if @BlkGoldHoops refuses to learn, I've typed this with hope other readers have learned or grown through reading this interaction. I'll pose a question to all other readers, would anyone want their daughter to date this guy? Would you want to report to him as a manager or work with him? He'll insult and demean your daughter, then do the same to all his coworkers or direct reports. Could you imagine having a conversation with him where he's never wrong or admits error? Sounds pretty toxic to me.

I would write more, but apparently I have a daughter that I need to pick up again. Have a great day. Go Boilers.

I find it ironic that you're telling me there's no way to know how the teams are coached, yet you are telling me how they are coached. You literally contradict yourself. Then you contradict yourself again by saying I have too much time on my hands for watching film but you do the same AND KEEP STATS? You realize you lose your credibility with those contradicting statements right?

I provided specific things in my original post, answered all your generalized comments with specific comments, proved you agreed with me, asked you questions which you didn't respond to and then you go on more personal attacks and tangents.

You're not looking to learn or discuss, you apparently already know everything. You are looking to insult. Is that how you approach life? You are clearly not a good manager if a manager at all. What's your profession? These are life lessons, not Purdue football rivals forum lessons FYI.

Congrats on keeping personal stats for the team. If so, share your knowledge. What stats are you tracking, snap counts? Grading each player each play? Down and distance and play call? Player groupings on calls? How does those personal stats make you the expert? Why haven't you shared with all of us other unknowledgeable Purdue fans? I'd enjoy seeing your insight.

Whenever you actually want to talk facts and specifics about Purdue football, especially the plays I mentioned that I wonder if Durham's being asked to do too much, I'm here. Although you probably won't because your pride will get in the way.

Instead of learning and acknowledging you have:
- provided generalized comments,
- actually agreed with me,
- did not answer my corresponding questions,
- changed the topic,
- demonstrated a lack of reading comprehension skills and
- typed petty personal insults rather than discussion points to another avid Purdue fan,

You'll demonstrate your ineptitude by responding and doing the same thing again. I'm reminded of that famous Mark Twain attributed quote:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Even if @BlkGoldHoops refuses to learn, I've typed this with hope other readers have learned or grown through reading this interaction. I'll pose a question to all other readers, would anyone want their daughter to date this guy? Would you want to report to him as a manager or work with him? He'll insult and demean your daughter, then do the same to all his coworkers or direct reports. Could you imagine having a conversation with him where he's never wrong or admits error? Sounds pretty toxic to me.

I would write more, but apparently I have a daughter that I need to pick up again. Have a great day. Go Boilers.
Do I not know what they are coached, thus contradicting myself?. Careful there player, I know exactly what they are coached. Trust me on this one. Secondly , as an almost 60 year old, I dont date daughters anymore ( maybe yours) and retired in my late 40s so your questions to your contingent are moot. Lastly, you made SPecific comments in your OP that are 100% false. That’s how YOU lose credibility. I call that lying or ignorance, for you, both. An Avid Purdue fan you say? You joined in 202O and on the Free Board. Got it....

Do I not know what they are coached, thus contradicting myself?. Careful there player, I know exactly what they are coached. Trust me on this one. Secondly , as an almost 60 year old, I dont date daughters anymore ( maybe yours) and retired in my late 40s so your questions to your contingent are moot. Lastly, you made SPecific comments in your OP that are 100% false. That’s how YOU lose credibility. I call that lying or ignorance, for you, both. An Avid Purdue fan you say? You joined in 202O and on the Free Board. Got it....
I like Payne, wish we would target Miller some too.

Reactions: Boiler Addict

Failed as expected to answer any questions or change your behavior. You've proven yourself to this board who you are really are. 60 years old and acting like this? Really? Are you proud of yourself? Now you know exactly what they're coached and I should trust you? I wouldn't trust you to be able to take out the trash, because that's all your posting.

The best part is your post is that you say that my specific comments in my OP that are 100% false: my statements were not false, how do I know? You actually agreed with my statements. Genius. I also haven't avoided questions or contradicted myself unlike you. You're the one with credibility issues.

While you don't return the favor and answer questions, I'll throw you this nugget. I've followed the team for a long time, and I actually did not have ANY (as in zero) social media accounts to avoid the toxic ignorant belligerent people like yourself. I'm here to talk Purdue football, not to be like you and belittle.

@Dandelion1972 posts actually inspired me to join, which you'll find that in my post history. You'll also find in my post history my thoughts and questions on Tom D, Alan K and Brian N and company, but you won't spend the time to look, just like you don't spend the time to answer any questions or present yourself as anything but a shame to Purdue fans.

Good luck in life @BlkGoldHoops, you've wasted enough of my time and are officially on ignore. PS Where's those stats you keep?

Go Boilers and for clarity for the board, I still like Payne, I'm just saying maybe he's being asked to do too much. He's been involved in a lot of key plays this season and we need more guys to step up.

Last edited:
Failed as expected to answer any questions or change your behavior. You've proven yourself to this board who you are really are. 60 years old and acting like this? Really? Are you proud of yourself? Now you know exactly what they're coached and I should trust you? I wouldn't trust you to be able to take out the trash, because that's all your posting.

The best part is your post is that you say that my specific comments in my OP that are 100% false: my statements were not false, how do I know? You actually agreed with my statements. Genius. I also haven't avoided questions or contradicted myself unlike you. You're the one with credibility issues.

While you don't return the favor and answer questions, I'll throw you this nugget. I've followed the team for a long time, and I actually did not have ANY (as in zero) social media accounts to avoid the toxic ignorant belligerent people like yourself. I'm here to talk Purdue football, not to be like you and belittle.

@Dandelion1972 posts actually inspired me to join, which you'll find that in my post history. You'll also find in my post history my thoughts and questions on Tom D, Alan K and Brian N and company, but you won't spend the time to look, just like you don't spend the time to answer any questions or present yourself as anything but a shame to Purdue fans.

Good luck in life @BlkGoldHoops, you've wasted enough of my time and are officially on ignore. PS Where's those stats you keep?

Go Boilers and for clarity for the board, I still like Payne, I'm just saying maybe he's being asked to do too much. He's been involved in a lot of key plays this season and we need more guys to step up.
Please don’t block me. I like reading your books. Again trust me if you want on what they are being coached. Got a pretty good view of it. Strange for you to be such a football fanatic yet not know what you are looking at . And I agreed with only one of your original statements. The others were 100% false. As usual

And if there is any specific question you want me to answer... fire away. Ball’s in your court. Don’t dribble off your foot....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT