ADVERTISEMENT

So what's going on here?

Schmedly_Whiplash

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2022
I don't recall a time where we've offered so many kids in such a short time period. And almost all of them guards. Weird.
Is this Matt using our national exposure to greatly expand our search net to include guys we wouldn't have approached in the past?
Different because of so many other teams prioritizing transfers?
I suspect some of both, but more the exposure nationally.
Here's hoping he's getting calls returned from a much larger group of kids now.
He's earned it.
And deserves it.

I don't recall a time where we've offered so many kids in such a short time period. And almost all of them guards. Weird.
Is this Matt using our national exposure to greatly expand our search net to include guys we wouldn't have approached in the past?
He's earned it.
And deserves it.
I think he knows the scholarship limit is going to increase / be something like a roster cap so he’s using it to his advantage.

He's earned it.
And deserves it.

I think he was looking @ all these kids at different times this past fall, winter & spring.....instead of offering earlier....just waited on all offers until after Transfer deadline as I explained earlier. Dude is smart.

I don't really see how the increase to 15 from 13 is going to make any difference other than more kids can get paid to go to school. It isn't going to make your team any better. Very few coaches even play 10 guys in the rotation. 8 is much more common including CMP. So you've got more kids sitting on the bench in uniform. It doesn't change the quality of the team because the extra 2 guys aren't going to see the court anyway. One could argue this will actually lead to more transferring because more kids will be unhappy with playing time.

Tell me what I'm missing. I just don't see how "stockpiling " more talent is going to lead to any difference on the court. You could have all 15 be 5* star players and they aren't going to play. So other than getting 2 more kids per team paid, what does this change do?

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I don't really see how the increase to 15 from 13 is going to make any difference other than more kids can get paid to go to school. It isn't going to make your team any better. Very few coaches even play 10 guys in the rotation. 8 is much more common including CMP. So you've got more kids sitting on the bench in uniform. It doesn't change the quality of the team because the extra 2 guys aren't going to see the court anyway. One could argue this will actually lead to more transferring because more kids will be unhappy with playing time.

Tell me what I'm missing. I just don't see how "stockpiling " more talent is going to lead to any difference on the court. You could have all 15 be 5* star players and they aren't going to play. So other than getting 2 more kids per team paid, what does this change do?

Stockpiling can make difference long term. Eventually, guys many see the floor as they get older. But with transfer rate high....for some coaches with poor retention, it might be for another team? Alot of variables wether it helps your team or not.

I think he knows the scholarship limit is going to increase / be something like a roster cap so he’s using it to his advantage.
Is this a thing? Are they talking about raising the limit to 15? I would think maybe 14 is a option, 15 is too many, coaches many times don’t even like having 13.

Good post.

Reactions: JeffBoiler

I suppose the counterargument would be that if most of the schools have 14-15 scholarships, then transferring is less likely to result in greater playing time because you're just going to another team that likely also has 14-15 players.

I don't know if that would ultimately be true, but it's a bit of an unknown. Certainly you'd risk a lot of unhappy players so it's a valid point for sure, and at least applicable to some teams.

What you might be able to "stockpile" are underrated gems, at least for a year or two. You'd also be able to sustain more "busts." So if 2 players don't pan out, it's less of a problem because you have 13 more plus portal. You might also see more turnover with teams filled with a couple of transfers for 1-2 seasons starting and true frosh who aren't immediate starters sitting a year or two

It's going to be quite the learning curve.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
1. It offers the opp to honor legacy players (Waddell, Barrett, Martin) and still offer potentially valuable players.
2. It offers the ability to take a player that wants to come but you've already offered someone you "think" will be better (Skiles, Bane)
3. It offers the potential to (buckle-up Woley) offer someone for a redshirt over a prep school.
4. It offers a way to "roll the dice" on a player only getting mid-major offers who may blossom or may not (too many to list)
5. It offers a LOT (2xthe number of D1 schools) of kids to get on a D1 team over DII ... the difference in benefits is enormous.

1. It offers the opp to honor legacy players (Waddell, Barrett, Martin) and still offer potentially valuable players.
2. It offers the ability to take a player that wants to come but you've already offered someone you "think" will be better (Skiles, Bane)
3. It offers the potential to (buckle-up Woley) offer someone for a redshirt over a prep school.
4. It offers a way to "roll the dice" on a player only getting mid-major offers who may blossom or may not (too many to list)
5. It offers a LOT (2xthe number of D1 schools) of kids to get on a D1 team over DII ... the difference in benefits is enormous.
Serious serious and then lolol thank you. Good points btw. I think if there’s a cap like say $20M, it’ll make it more roster configuration more interesting too. Hopefully I still like college basketball haha

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Serious serious and then lolol thank you. Good points btw. I think if there’s a cap like say $20M, it’ll make it more roster configuration more interesting too. Hopefully I still like college basketball haha
IN critical thinking, the last point to consider are the implications and consequences!

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Some guys will be fine sitting the bench and making 100k - probably not many but some. And the big leagues will, of course, be doling out the most $$ (up to $21m or so per school, per year). That is across all sports with no plan on how it needs to get split up amongst men/women's athletes so who knows how much MBB actually gets. But if it was based on actual revenue share it would likely be $2-$3m, football would get $15-$16m with the last $1-$2m for the rest

it does appear that bball rosters could be expanded to 15 players vice the current 13. Painter loves 3 point shooters and old school big men.

something my mind thought of yesterday. Painter prides himself in recruiting players that are loyal to their school and coach. But we as fans are all predicting players Painter recruited will become unhappy and leave. if Painter recruits players who are loyal, those players should only leave if they go to the nba early. It's sad that fans are already saying before the players arrive, that several of them will become unhappy and leave. Basically, you are predicting failure and unhappiness.

sure, we've had our share of players who became unhappy and left. is that because the type of player we are recruiting is different and 4/5 star players are more likely to transfer if they are not starters? or are today's players just a lot less loyal to their schools than in the past ? and 4/5 star players are a lot less loyal than 3 star players? Grady was very loyal.

i hate to point it out to all these players with NBA dreams. The NBA isn't adding any new teams any time soon. so the amount of players getting drafted is the same. However, the NBA is drafting a lot more foreign players and developmental league players than in the past. so the amount of college players getting into the NBA is a lot smaller than it once was. do today's high school and AAU players not realize this? or are their egos so big, they all think they are NBA bound ? It doesn't help much when fans and the media and scouting services all make predictions about a player being one and done and definitely going to the NBA. are guys like Harris, Catchings and Colvin really NbA bound ? or do we as fans also have delusions as well? sure, they are talented players, but are they really future nba players? it's just very hard for me to believe a player is NBA bound and he can't even beat out Loyer for a starting spot. And the last time I looked, Blooie wasn't even projected to be NBA drafted. and he's better (and also older) than our players.

Those are potential positives. There are also potential negatives. I don't think we will fully know which are magnified and which are minimized for years.

Ultimately, it's going to be quasi minor league professional sports at the college level. What that means won't be known for awhile. But yes, it won't be all doom and gloom, there are potential positives too.

it does appear that bball rosters could be expanded to 15 players vice the current 13. Painter loves 3 point shooters and old school big men.

something my mind thought of yesterday. Painter prides himself in recruiting players that are loyal to their school and coach. But we as fans are all predicting players Painter recruited will become unhappy and leave. if Painter recruits players who are loyal, those players should only leave if they go to the nba early. It's sad that fans are already saying before the players arrive, that several of them will become unhappy and leave. Basically, you are predicting failure and unhappiness.

sure, we've had our share of players who became unhappy and left. is that because the type of player we are recruiting is different and 4/5 star players are more likely to transfer if they are not starters? or are today's players just a lot less loyal to their schools than in the past ? and 4/5 star players are a lot less loyal than 3 star players? Grady was very loyal.

i hate to point it out to all these players with NBA dreams. The NBA isn't adding any new teams any time soon. so the amount of players getting drafted is the same. However, the NBA is drafting a lot more foreign players and developmental league players than in the past. so the amount of college players getting into the NBA is a lot smaller than it once was. do today's high school and AAU players not realize this? or are their egos so big, they all think they are NBA bound ? It doesn't help much when fans and the media and scouting services all make predictions about a player being one and done and definitely going to the NBA. are guys like Harris, Catchings and Colvin really NbA bound ? or do we as fans also have delusions as well? sure, they are talented players, but are they really future nba players? it's just very hard for me to believe a player is NBA bound and he can't even beat out Loyer for a starting spot. And the last time I looked, Blooie wasn't even projected to be NBA drafted. and he's better (and also older) than our players.
I believe you’re the only one predicting they will leave due to being unhappy or not starting.

The ideal is the mix of guys ready to play now and up and coming talent that needs a bit of time to rise to the top. The same delicate balancing act it's always been, with now the trap door of top talent potentially leaving for greener pastures.

I believe you’re the only one predicting they will leave due to being unhappy or not starting.
i believe you need to start reading other people's posts. start with the one about how purdue is going to get from 14 scholarships down to 13. That thred had a lot of posts. and my contribution to that thread was less than 10%. there are many other posters here other than myself predicting players not starting will become unhappy and leave.

it's like how are we going to offer people 2025 scholarships unless somebody leaves.

perhaps if players are paid more, we will see the one and done eliminated and more players staying in school longer. that would be nice, however, on the down side, we would not be able to offer as many scholarships to new players because nobody is leaving early.

i believe you need to start reading other people's posts. start with the one about how purdue is going to get from 14 scholarships down to 13. That thred had a lot of posts. and my contribution to that thread was less than 10%. there are many other posters here other than myself predicting players not starting will become unhappy and leave.

it's like how are we going to offer people 2025 scholarships unless somebody leaves.
Wole, I do enjoy your different thoughts and then helping you out. However, Just went through. You seem to have been the only one.

Reactions: z_one
The landscape has changed. MBB and Football are professional sport by any definition. Why have A 4 yr. cap let them play till you want to stop paying them. It's the next lawsuit to drop schools limited my years to earn? Things always change I remember when Scholarships went from 15 to 13 everyone was for it so more players played, and mid-majors could land that 14th or 15th place guy. It was a good idea whose time has come and gone. Once the Big 12 and Big Ten merge to form a super league and abandon the NCAA new rules will be written and all players will be paid fairly. There are so many different strategies employed right now that will be unusable in two years. Just admit big teams are professional leagues and let's play.

I wonder what happens to scholarships if paying players? Will they go away, will the players be required to be a student? Why would a school want to pay for housing, food, etc or aid them with school via tutors when they (players) are now making enough $ to pay for such on their own?

I wonder what happens to scholarships if paying players? Will they go away, will the players be required to be a student? Why would a school want to pay for housing, food, etc or aid them with school via tutors when they (players) are now making enough $ to pay for such on their own?
Because they make the school $$$$ and yeah probably will go away from being a “student” athlete to just basketball player at said university

Reactions: oldboiler52
The landscape has changed. MBB and Football are professional sport by any definition. Why have A 4 yr. cap let them play till you want to stop paying them. It's the next lawsuit to drop schools limited my years to earn? Things always change I remember when Scholarships went from 15 to 13 everyone was for it so more players played, and mid-majors could land that 14th or 15th place guy. It was a good idea whose time has come and gone. Once the Big 12 and Big Ten merge to form a super league and abandon the NCAA new rules will be written and all players will be paid fairly. There are so many different strategies employed right now that will be unusable in two years. Just admit big teams are professional leagues and let's play.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Why cap it at four years? Also since amateur status has been jettisoned, why bother scheduling preseason "secret scrimmages" with other NCAA teams when you can potentially schedule high-level matchups with G-League, NBA, or foreign pro teams? It would be a huge money maker.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I was thinking the exact same thing. Why cap it at four years? Also since amateur status has been jettisoned, why bother scheduling preseason "secret scrimmages" with other NCAA teams when you can potentially schedule high-level matchups with G-League, NBA, or foreign pro teams? It would be a huge money maker.

And why not spin revenue generating athletics out as an independent entity from the university? Athletics then rents the stadiums and arenas?

Schools will lose 1/2 their fan bases and much of the "love" if this happens as above.
I like the Pacers, Bears, Yankees and Blackhawks.
NONE of those compare to my love of the school I went to and the amateur athletes that have worked so hard for so many years to represent and make us prouder of our university.
This seems like so many things in current life. Inevitable.
And vaguely bad.
Like internet porn, or legal drugs, it sounds great. Give the people what they want.
But usually isnt' so good for most people in the long run.
I think 10 years from now there will be much less interest in minor league basketball than there is now in college basketball.
It will be much more mercenary and unless your team is one of the 50? 100? playing that game,
you'll just pass your best players on to them and never have the success that builds into a solid program.
That's sad.

Schools will lose 1/2 their fan bases and much of the "love" if this happens as above.
NONE of those compare to my love of the school I went to and the amateur athletes that have worked so hard for so many years to represent and make us prouder of our university.
And vaguely bad.
Like internet porn, or legal drugs, it sounds great. Give the people what they want.
I think 10 years from now there will be much less interest in minor league basketball than there is now in college basketball.
It will be much more mercenary and unless your team is one of the 50? 100? playing that game,
you'll just pass your best players on to them and never have the success that builds into a solid program.
That's sad.
Yeah I’m nervous where college sports are going as well. It’s more fun than the pros but with being able to essentially “buy” a team, it’s just not the same as recruiting wars. I know teams were paying players under the table and the players should get paid don’t get me wrong but man I wish there were better rules/controls in place to try and keep the college game the way it has been and maybe there will be…but don’t have much faith in the NCAA

Reactions: z_one and DrEss
Two Things:
1. CMP completely explained his approach to culture, system and talent. Now he’s using the momentum of success of all three to project further. Now he can use game by game for these recruits to watch his guards ‘with’ him in their recruitment.

2. CMP has seen what the most elite guard talent did to his program. He’s upping his game to the highest level. ‘You can’t coach height’. He took this version of his best team all the way to the championship game to find that there is more needed to reach that summit. (Not just UConn. Tenn as well)

And vaguely bad.
That's sad.
+1000

Reactions: z_one
Two Things:
1. CMP completely explained his approach to culture, system and talent. Now he’s using the momentum of success of all three to project further. Now he can use game by game for these recruits to watch his guards ‘with’ him in their recruitment.

2. CMP has seen what the most elite guard talent did to his program. He’s upping his game to the highest level. ‘You can’t coach height’. He took this version of his best team all the way to the championship game to find that there is more needed to reach that summit. (Not just UConn. Tenn as well)
What does "Tenn as well" mean?

Once the Big 12 and Big Ten merge to form a super league and abandon the NCAA new rules will be written and all players will be paid fairly.
I assume you meant SEC and not Big 12? B1G would never merge with the Big 12, as each B1G school would lose tens of millions in media rights money, every year.

I assume you meant SEC and not Big 12? B1G would never merge with the Big 12, as each B1G school would lose tens of millions in media rights money, every year.

Not completely sure but Huston and Pheonix were the big markets that Fox wants, and I am pretty sure SEC is committed to ESPN.

Great post. If you have a strong program and a great coach this helps you. If not it hurts you. Matt will have to manage the roster and player expectations as always and this makes that more complex for everyone, but this is a win for Purdue, at least for the foreseeable future.

Yeah…we beat Tenn twice? I guess saying cuz they had Knecht? But You could say Barnes took their best version of the team and realized they actually needed a big man who would show up in a big game cuz Aidoo completely went missing that game.
They have certainly reloaded...

They have certainly reloaded...
Meh. Better hope they don’t run into us 😂 but yeah they have in all seriousness. Not sure they’ll have the scorer like Knecht but who knows. Ppl say we won’t be any good without edey, and they don’t know anything about Purdue so I guess UT fans could say the same about me 😂 so we will see what they got!

Meh. Better hope they don’t run into us 😂 but yeah they have in all seriousness. Not sure they’ll have the scorer like Knecht but who knows. Ppl say we won’t be any good without edey, and they don’t know anything about Purdue so I guess UT fans could say the same about me 😂 so we will see what they got!
I don't love his style of play but Barnes is a solid coach, I expect that they'll be just fine.

Those are potential positives. There are also potential negatives. I don't think we will fully know which are magnified and which are minimized for years.

Ultimately, it's going to be quasi minor league professional sports at the college level. What that means won't be known for awhile. But yes, it won't be all doom and gloom, there are potential positives too.
If there is a school wide cap, you will see schools have to choose between football and basketball. Also it evens the playing field as long as your school can pay to the cap. This is likely good for Purdue as we tend to manage our money quite well. A lot will change in the next few years, it will be interesting to see if the NCAA/Power conferences manage it well, or kill college sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT