ADVERTISEMENT

So for the few holding out hope

Name one 3+ star Hope recruited that accomplished anything. And his last class was a mirage.

Serviceable 3 stars (or more) from Hope's last 2 classes:
Anthony brown
Frankie Williams
Danny anthrop
Ryan Watson
Taylor Richards
Jimmy Herman
AJ Garcia
Cameron Posey
Raheem Mostert
Akeem Hunt
Robert Kugler
Jordan Roos
Cameron Cermin

People tend to overlook the fact that some of Hope's recruits didn't fit the scheme of the new regime. It takes time, more than three years, to develop your own recruits and to attain stability. Look no further than Bloomington to see it starting to pay off.
Interesting..............JIMBO is doing it in one year at MICH after most said Brady couldn't recruit and talent pool was way down..4-1 with the number one ranked D............and FL gators(5-0 drilling3#) would take at least two years since they were so young and talent level had fallen off..................excuses...excuses......excuses......there are at least 3 or 4 MAC conf teams better than we are!!!!!!!!!Toledo ranked in top 25 now! These are the athletes that the BIG TEN overlooks! Most are 2 and 3 star recruits....................

Last edited:
Interesting..............JIMBO is doing it in one year at MICH after most said Brady couldn't recruit and talent pool was way down..4-1 with the number one ranked D............and FL gators(5-0 drilling3#) would take at least two years since they were so young and talent level had fallen off..................excuses...excuses......excuses......there are at least 3 or 4 MAC conf teams better than we are!!!!!!!!!Toledo ranked in top 25 now! These are the athletes that the BIG TEN overlooks! Most are 2 and 3 star recruits....................

All I'm telling you is if we scrap this, we go backwards again. At some point you have to stick with what you have and give it time to play out. We are not Michigan or Florida by any means. Those two schools get more athletes by accident than we can recruit. I agree with your frustration but I'm tellin ya, you gotta stay the course for a couple of more years and let it play out.

Anthony brown
Frankie Williams
Danny anthrop
Ryan Watson
Taylor Richards
Jimmy Herman
AJ Garcia
Cameron Posey
Raheem Mostert
Akeem Hunt
Robert Kugler
Jordan Roos
Cameron Cermin

And how many are (or will) play on Sunday. That's my point.

And how many are (or will) play on Sunday. That's my point.
Whoa - moving the goalposts are we? Or maybe i misunderstood you. We went from "accomplished anything" to "playing on Sunday".

I do think half a dozen or so of those guys will be on a 53 man roster at some point though. Which I think is more than you would see out of any 2 of hazell's back to back classes, but we'll see.

Reactions: Dandelion1972
Whoa - moving the goalposts are we? Or maybe i misunderstood you. We went from "accomplished anything" to "playing on Sunday".

I do think half a dozen or so of those guys will be on a 53 man roster at some point though. Which I think is more than you would see out of any 2 of hazell's back to back classes, but we'll see.

I think 6 is generous but that's fine. But I think one could argue our team today has 6 FR/SO that will make a 53 man roster at some point too. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I see more talent now versus three years ago. The bigger, broader point is that Tiller's teams were not dramatically better from a recruiting stars standpoint (particularly towards the end), but still managed to get kids drafted and playing on Sunday. That's on both DH coaching staffs.

Do you think the talent level is better, worse, or the same today versus Hazell's first team? I think better which would by definition be improving.

I don't think you quite understand my point. You're arguing bad vs. worse. Quite frankly, I don't really care and quite frankly, the difference isn't that much either way. Our "talent level" under Hope wasn't acceptable and our talent level under Hazell isn't acceptable. It hasn't gotten better. Our recruiting has remained at the bottom of the Big Ten under Hazell.

Our talent level isn't getting better? Stop paying attention to stars. All of these guys were Hazell recruits and have legit talent.
Blough- RS Freshman
Jones- Freshman
Knox- Sophmore
Bentley- Sophmore
Robinson- Sophmore
Yancey- Junior
Gregory Phillips- Sophmore
Danny E- Sophmore

The Hope recruits making an impact are Kugler, Brown, and Replogle. Williams and Griggs have been disappointments this season.

Anthony brown
Frankie Williams
Danny anthrop
Ryan Watson
Taylor Richards
Jimmy Herman
AJ Garcia
Cameron Posey
Raheem Mostert
Akeem Hunt
Robert Kugler
Jordan Roos
Cameron Cermin
Where are the junior and senior running backs on the current roster? Where are the junior and senior QB's? This staff is just now getting players they want and are developing...even though I really like these Fr and Soph who are leading this team, it's hard to win games when the team has to play so much youth, who in reality would greatly benefit from developing more before thrown into the fire.

Reactions: Statey
I don't think you quite understand my point. You're arguing bad vs. worse. Quite frankly, I don't really care and quite frankly, the difference isn't that much either way. Our "talent level" under Hope wasn't acceptable and our talent level under Hazell isn't acceptable. It hasn't gotten better. Our recruiting has remained at the bottom of the Big Ten under Hazell.

Tiller had what? 2 maybe 3 classes in the top 5 of the conference? I agree our recruiting has to get better. I think Hazell has earned one more year to turn the ship. I know dumping him now will only hurt recruiting, not help it. But stop acting like we were some sort of juggernaut prior to the last 6 years. The simple fact remains, our very best players are FR and SO. We are losing too many games but are at least competitive. That's a foundation a coaching staff can build on. You don't get fired in that situation. You may not agree but you should come to the realization that he's going to be back next year.

Reactions: mathboy
Tiller had what? 2 maybe 3 classes in the top 5 of the conference? I agree our recruiting has to get better. I think Hazell has earned one more year to turn the ship. I know dumping him now will only hurt recruiting, not help it. But stop acting like we were some sort of juggernaut prior to the last 6 years. The simple fact remains, our very best players are FR and SO. We are losing too many games but are at least competitive. That's a foundation a coaching staff can build on. You don't get fired in that situation. You may not agree but you should come to the realization that he's going to be back next year.

Recruiting rankings on Rivals only go back to 2002.

We only had 2 or 3 in the top 5 under Tiller? From 2002-2005, all 4 of our recruiting classes were in the top 5 and I almost guarantee you the 1999-2002 were too. It's no coincidence the drop off of recruiting coincided with the drop off in winning.

2002 - 5th
2003 - 3rd
2004 - 5th
2005 - 5th
2006 - 8th
2007 - 10th

Reactions: Statey

We only had 2 or 3 in the top 5 under Tiller? From 2002-2005, all 4 of our recruiting classes were in the top 5 and I almost guarantee you the 1999-2002 were too. It's no coincidence the drop off of recruiting coincided with the drop off in winning.

2002 - 5th
2003 - 3rd
2004 - 5th
2005 - 5th
2006 - 8th
2007 - 10th

Thanks for the research. I think consistently having classes in 5-7 rank is a realistic place to aspire to.

Thanks for the research. I think consistently having classes in 5-7 rank is a realistic place to aspire to.

As you have agreed, recruiting the midwest is something Purdue needs to be doing more of. The fact that in our last 2 classes plus our current class, we have one recruit from the state of Illinois - is almost laughable. Northwestern's current class has the same number of "midwest" kids that Purdue has recruited in the last 2 + current classes.

2002 - 5th
2003 - 3rd
2004 - 5th
2005 - 5th
2006 - 8th
2007 - 10th
The irony is Tiller's downcycle came immediately after a stretch of 4 Straight top 5 big ten classes. Those recruiting rankings would not have predicted a 13-19 big ten record from 2005-2008.

The recruiting rankings rarely correctly predict the rise and fall of programs. They predict status quo.

As you have agreed, recruiting the midwest is something Purdue needs to be doing more of. The fact that in our last 2 classes plus our current class, we have one recruit from the state of Illinois - is almost laughable. Northwestern's current class has the same number of "midwest" kids that Purdue has recruited in the last 2 + current classes.
At least Hope had a recruiting plan, and worked it, as misguided as it was. I don't think we have a plan now.

At least Hope had a recruiting plan, and worked it, as misguided as it was. I don't think we have a plan now.

Agreed. I don't really know what our strategy is now. In the last signing day period, he talked about the "State of Purdue" whatever that is supposed to mean. If he means Indiana and surrounding states, only about 1/3 of our recruits were from those areas. So unless the state of Purdue is all of the United States...

I do agree. We've got to get as many of the Great Lake kids as we can. I'm at a loss how he hasn't made better inroads in this area. But the '16 class looks like it may be getting better in that regard.

I do agree. We've got to get as many of the Great Lake kids as we can. I'm at a loss how he hasn't made better inroads in this area. But the '16 class looks like it may be getting better in that regard.

I don't know about that.

FYI, over 50% of our team in 2000 was from Indiana or a surrounding state and 12 of the 22 offensive/defensive starters.

Truefully right now I don't care were we get these kids as long as we get winners. Our team has been struggling long enough.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I don't know why we've abandoned the NW IN/Chicago market. We made hay in that region for years (70s, 80s, 90s) then gave it up to NW and ND - even Illinois. Lots of good players out of that area. Just ask the Wildcats

Truefully right now I don't care were we get these kids as long as we get winners. Our team has been struggling long enough.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not saying this for the purpose of "I want to root for Midwestern kids!"

The point is recruiting is heavily built on relationships. If most of your players are coming from areas that you have to fly to, it's not the most conducive to building relationships. It's not like we're getting talent that we can't get in the Midwest, we're just being less efficient. For a coach to go visit a kid in Georgia, it's 2 hours of driving to and from the airport, 2+ hours of airport waiting, 2+ hours of flying - and you haven't even seen a recruit in those 6 hours. A kid in Indianapolis? 2 hours of driving. So you're spending 1/3 of the amount of time traveling (and that's assuming the kid lives near where you're flying to) and you can do it more frequently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT