ADVERTISEMENT

Smith

He should continue doing this
It reminded me of Andrew Luck kindly congratulating an opponent after taking a big hit or sack.
A good gesture that also serves as a reverse-psychology type of trash talk.
kinda like saying "thank you" to teh ref back when they handed you the ball or retrieving the ball for the ref...even if it isn't your ball. ;)

Reactions: Do Dah Day
So I told his great grandpa with grandpa between us as we were watching Flory and Catchings in the morning games that Braden carries himself well and great grandpa said, "I appreciate that...that's good...and important."

Since we're on this a bit...and I have to break away from some of my tedious gathering of tax numbers in excel that is wearing me down for the last two days and a couple more to go probably ...in just getting it together... I'll share a story I heard las July along those lines.

I was at a birthday party back in July for a brother-in-law. I caught he and his brother that had stepped outside the gathering a bit just in time to hear them talking about so and so being such a good person. The conversation continued about the importance of being a good person when I heard the brother ask my brother-in-law if he remembered teh game where he had the ball and pumped faked and the defender (they couldn't remember if he was an All-American?) jumped and was about to fall on his head, when brother-in-law dropped the ball and caught him to keep him from falling on his head and was assessed a foul which would be right. ;) That guy that I can't recall his name thanked him and went to the FT line and deliberately missed. ;) Somewhere between that and today, we lost something in a game we all love.

The old kick the ball out bounds for an injured player in soccer bit. Wish there was more sportsmanship in todays game.

Reactions: tjreese
As I look back, there were many people who thought Loyer should have been mr basketball because of his much better stats. But smith does so many other things that don’t show up in a fantasy stat sheet.

I have always praised painter for his eye for talent. It’s becoming clear to those of us who don’t live in Indiana that Smith was deserving of the awards he has received.
I saw his sectional games and that was enough for me. Grandpa (Dick) said it was that and his performance in the Hall Of Fame game...

Huge Cavs fan back to the early 80's, I love Price. One of the greatest shooters ever, we will see, but possible I guess. Craft? Much better defender than Smith, but Smith as a freshman is alrady a better scorer and shooter than Craft ever was, I dont see that one. Price was a better scorer his freshman year, but Price didnt have a POTY canidate to feed like Smith...I hope he turns into Price.

Mark Price (Georgia Tech, '86) is high praise indeed.

Daugherty, Price, and Nance were a heck of a trio. Unfortunately, they ran into the Pistons and then the Bulls and could never get out of the tough Eastern Conference back then. Also, some forget that Ron Harper was part of that group until '89....had he not been traded.....oh well......what could have been.

Btw, I go back to to the original days of the Wine & Gold (under Lenny Wilkens and then Bill Fitch) with Joe Tait calling games in the now defunct Richfield Coliseum - Austin Carr, Jim Chones, Jim Brewer, Campy Russell, Jim Cleamons, Dick Snyder, Bingo Smith, Foots Walker, and Nate Thurmond, among them. The town just went bonkers for a little while after the Miracle of Ritchfield....and if Jim Chones hadn't broken his foot? Might have taken it all in '76.....those were the days.....

Screen-Shot-2016-03-04-at-12.03.35-PM-copy.jpg

Daugherty, Price, and Nance were a heck of a trio. Unfortunately, they ran into the Pistons and then the Bulls and could never get out of the tough Eastern Conference back then. Also, some forget that Ron Harper was part of that group until '89....had he not been traded.....oh well......what could have been.

Btw, I go back to to the original days of the Wine & Gold (under Lenny Wilkens and then Bill Fitch) with Joe Tait calling games in the now defunct Richfield Coliseum - Austin Carr, Jim Chones, Jim Brewer, Campy Russell, Jim Cleamons, Dick Snyder, Bingo Smith, Foots Walker, and Nate Thurmond, among them. The town just went bonkers for a little while after the Miracle of Ritchfield....and if Jim Chones hadn't broken his foot? Might have taken it all in '76.....those were the days.....

Fellow Cavs and Boiler fan, very nice. My first basketball love was World B Free. Had a poster of Floyd and everything. Never met a shot he didnt like, lol

Will never forget Harper, Gund heard he was running with the wrong crowd and got nervous and traded him for Danny Ferry....didnt quite work out. I was playing a game of 1 on 1 in a park near Revere in Akron (this is when most of the Cavs lived in West Akron because of Richfield). Anyways, Harper shows up and plays a couple of games. I know this will come as a shock, but Harper was much better than I was as a Junior in Highschool, lol.

Side note, I love our current Cavs team too. Really good basketball year for me with Purdue and the Cavs. Mitchell is much better than i thought. I thought he was a bit of a chucker in Utah, but you could argue right now he is the 2nd best shooter in the league takig into account percentage, number of shots and difficulty of shots, I am sure we all know who is the best in the league (all time, some here will argue Bird, but no, Steph is a better shooter than Bird and no argument can seriously be made)

Reactions: Gemini95
If he can improve from year 1 to year 2 as much Edwards, LOOK OUT!!
I think he is better than Edwards was as a freshman.
I think he will continue to get stronger that will help him with any fatigue and he will grow in experience, but I personally don't see how he can improve a whole lot more. He already understands the game more than most older players.

Remember Campy having some good games at Mackey and Carr at Butler

I for one will say I'm impressed with Smith...I thought he was to small for B10...To think he will be our starting point for four years is amazing...I'd be surprised is Loyer is around for 4 years

I for one will say I'm impressed with Smith...I thought he was to small for B10...To think he will be our starting point for four years is amazing...I'd be surprised is Loyer is around for 4 years
I won't. They are roommates. Braden knows exactly where Fletch is every second on the court. It might be safe to suggest that they are complimentary to each other and that complimentary stature was noticed prior to Braden committing by someone that doesn't post here I don't believe.

If you are correct (and could be?), that would surprise me. Strength training should be a big plus for Fletcher going further

Remember Campy having some good games at Mackey and Carr at Butler

Carr is hilarious unitentially as the commenntator for the Cavs, cant wait to here him say Rubio's name, but I find Brad Daughter an incredibly good commentator, after all the experience he got with Nascar, Brad really has insight into basketball and does a great job commuicating it.

Do you have the NBA package to watch our Cavs?

I won't. They are roommates. Braden knows exactly where Fletch is every second on the court. It might be safe to suggest that they are complimentary to each other and that complimentary stature was noticed prior to Braden committing by someone that doesn't post here I don't believe.

If you are correct (and could be?), that would surprise me. Strength training should be a big plus for Fletcher going further

I think he is saying Loyer will end up in the NBA before the 4 years is up. With the size and shooting and scoring of Loyer, I tendn to agree he might be done after year 2 or 3. Smith probably is a backup PG at best in the NBA because of size, but you never know, Smith is the type of hard nose player I wouldnt bet against.

Great
So I told his great grandpa with grandpa between us as we were watching Flory and Catchings in the morning games that Braden carries himself well and great grandpa said, "I appreciate that...that's good...and important."

Since we're on this a bit...and I have to break away from some of my tedious gathering of tax numbers in excel that is wearing me down for the last two days and a couple more to go probably ...in just getting it together... I'll share a story I heard las July along those lines.

I was at a birthday party back in July for a brother-in-law. I caught he and his brother that had stepped outside the gathering a bit just in time to hear them talking about so and so being such a good person. The conversation continued about the importance of being a good person when I heard the brother ask my brother-in-law if he remembered teh game where he had the ball and pumped faked and the defender (they couldn't remember if he was an All-American?) jumped and was about to fall on his head, when brother-in-law dropped the ball and caught him to keep him from falling on his head and was assessed a foul which would be right. ;) That guy that I can't recall his name thanked him and went to the FT line and deliberately missed. ;) Somewhere between that and today, we lost something in a game we all love.
Great story. You do have the gals who helped the opposing gal who hurt herself hitting the HR round the bases for the winning run. It's still out there, it just doesn't get reported on like it should.

Carr is hilarious unitentially as the commenntator for the Cavs, cant wait to here him say Rubio's name, but I find Brad Daughter an incredibly good commentator, after all the experience he got with Nascar, Brad really has insight into basketball and does a great job commuicating it.

Do you have the NBA package to watch our Cavs?
No, I can hardly fit in all teh college games I want to see. I just remember Austin scoring at will around the FT line at Butler for almost as many points that are scored in some games today...and of course Campy at Purdue a few years after Cazzie was at Michigan

I think he is saying Loyer will end up in the NBA before the 4 years is up. With the size and shooting and scoring of Loyer, I tendn to agree he might be done after year 2 or 3. Smith probably is a backup PG at best in the NBA because of size, but you never know, Smith is the type of hard nose player I wouldnt bet against.
Never really thought about Fletcher leaving early for the NBA. I don't really follow that game like I did many years ago. As a little boy I was a Celtic fan probably just due to knowing my brother-in -law was down to the final cut when came down on the ankle of Ron Bonham. He went home on crutches and Auerback told him to come back the next year, but he never did. There wasn't the same kind of money back then and he got his free education. So I was a Celtic fan around the first grade or so. I remember going down to the preacher's house where his son and I would gather around his radio and find the games on Sunday. Did this up through Dave Cowens, but of course they were on TV about halfway through that time. Stopped and then caught them again during Birds time and when the Pacers had Reggie and the Davis twins. Other than that I've preferred the college game.

Reactions: Lee3370
Never really thought about Fletcher leaving early for the NBA. I don't really follow that game like I did many years ago. As a little boy I was a Celtic fan probably just due to knowing my brother-in -law was down to the final cut when came down on the ankle of Ron Bonham. He went home on crutches and Auerback told him to come back the next year, but he never did. There wasn't the same kind of money back then and he got his free education. So I was a Celtic fan around the first grade or so. I remember going down to the preacher's house where his son and I would gather around his radio and find the games on Sunday. Did this up through Dave Cowens, but of course they were on TV about halfway through that time. Stopped and then caught them again during Birds time and when the Pacers had Reggie and the Davis twins. Other than that I've preferred the college game.

I actually prefer the pro game, but also love the college game. I know around here that is blastfomy, but the reality is the pros are such amazing athletes and shots. The Tourney is still the greatest sporting event, but the pro game is so amazing, that a talet like Carsen Edwards can barely play. I do hate the one and done, and feel a rule like college baseball should exist. Go to the G-League if you dot want to commit 3 years to college, and while I agree the college athlete derseves some of the money, the way NIL is currentnly being donne needs to change.

But I can appreciate someone who prefers college, it for sure has a ton of merrit and is a great game.

Great

Great story. You do have the gals who helped the opposing gal who hurt herself hitting the HR round the bases for the winning run. It's still out there, it just doesn't get reported on like it should.
My brother-in-law is getting old and you have to drag basketball stories out of him, but every so often he tells one I never heard just due to "something" reminding him. About 3 years ago there was a player named Ed Butler than played at Ball State prior to going overseas.

Ed Butler called him one night asking if it was he and saying he had tried for three years to find him. Those two and the wives went out to eat with each praising the other's play and stating they knew they had to bring their A game. Other things he has told me was Auerbach going down south to play in some preseason games and some hotels treating the blacks different than the whites and Auerbach taking the team home as a result. He does have his shoes and many autographs...including Bill Russell's and Bill gave very few out. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with being competitive and going all out, but at the end of the day...it is a game and as we watch it somebody is losing a loved one, someone is losing a job and so there are many things more important in life and one of the things I love about Purdue is that Purdue people understand that a bit better than some places...

Reactions: Tommaker
I actually prefer the pro game, but also love the college game. I know around here that is blastfomy, but the reality is the pros are such amazing athletes and shots. The Tourney is still the greatest sporting event, but the pro game is so amazing, that a talet like Carsen Edwards can barely play. I do hate the one and done, and feel a rule like college baseball should exist. Go to the G-League if you dot want to commit 3 years to college, and while I agree the college athlete derseves some of the money, the way NIL is currentnly being donne needs to change.

But I can appreciate someone who prefers college, it for sure has a ton of merrit and is a great game.
No questions the pros are outstanding athletes and some very good basketball players...no question...

Reactions: Lee3370
I go back to Russell, Cousy and the Jones boys.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I go back to Russell, Cousy and the Jones boys.
I'm there. He used to go out in teh evening with Sam and Casey to teh bars where he would sing. Said Casey wasn't bad, but Sam couldn't carry a note. Told a story of some rookie that was having his way with other rookies until Red told Casey to guard him. The next two times down the court Casey stole the ball and "handed it back to the player". Couldn't imagine the embarrassment... Remember ole Sam with ball over the head at times acting like he was passing it and then would bank it off the board for a basket. Yeah, I was back there with you.

Many are starting to come around that he is a really good player. The kid wants to win and do whatever he can to win. He is crucial to Purdue's success this year. There are so many ways he dissects the other team you can't hone in on one particular aspect of his game. As much of a competitor he is and as much as he is willing to do whatever he can to win, he has no problem giving a hand to an opponent to help him up. He flies high above so many that see the game as an attempt to draw attention to them when making a good play while also denigrating the opponent.

He, like sooooooo many Purdue players are a step above...winners on the court...winners in the classroom...winners in life...people that generally carrying themselves well...something Purdue grads and fans appreciate.
I may print and frame this! Thank You!

I think he will continue to get stronger that will help him with any fatigue and he will grow in experience, but I personally don't see how he can improve a whole lot more. He already understands the game more than most older players.
II think he will grow into more of a scorer while continuing to have a lot of assists. He changed so much after Rutgers! But I agree. He can't do a whole lot more than he is doing.

Fellow Cavs and Boiler fan, very nice. My first basketball love was World B Free. Had a poster of Floyd and everything. Never met a shot he didnt like, lol

Will never forget Harper, Gund heard he was running with the wrong crowd and got nervous and traded him for Danny Ferry....didnt quite work out. I was playing a game of 1 on 1 in a park near Revere in Akron (this is when most of the Cavs lived in West Akron because of Richfield). Anyways, Harper shows up and plays a couple of games. I know this will come as a shock, but Harper was much better than I was as a Junior in Highschool, lol.

Side note, I love our current Cavs team too. Really good basketball year for me with Purdue and the Cavs. Mitchell is much better than i thought. I thought he was a bit of a chucker in Utah, but you could argue right now he is the 2nd best shooter in the league takig into account percentage, number of shots and difficulty of shots, I am sure we all know who is the best in the league (all time, some here will argue Bird, but no, Steph is a better shooter than Bird and no argument can seriously be made)
Bird is a CAREER 49% shooter and a CAREER double double average. Curry was a better 3pt shooter but not a better scorer overall. Comparing people to Bird is insane.

Bird is a CAREER 49% shooter and a CAREER double double average. Curry was a better 3pt shooter but not a better scorer overall. Comparing people to Bird is insane.

Bird is a top 10 player of all time, around 7 overall to me, Curry when his career is doen wont make my top 20, modern game I would say Durat is the closest to Bird. But Curry is by far the better shooter, not overall player, but shooter The amount he shoots and the quickness of Curry's release is insane, and honestly I hate Golden State as a Cavs fan so its not biased like him being from my home state. Although technically he was born in my home city, lol, but wasnt raised there.

II think he will grow into more of a scorer while continuing to have a lot of assists. He changed so much after Rutgers! But I agree. He can't do a whole lot more than he is doing.
that was what I was alluding to with less fatigue

Rather than compare him to anybody, I hope he has the success Jerry Sichting enjoyed.

At one point, Parkinson, Macy and Eugene Parker were projected as our backcourt! Sichting was an afterthought. He was supposed to be a role player. Parkinson became injured and missed a year. Macy left for Kentucky.And Sichting kept working and improving and forcing his way into the lineup.

Sichting was the least regarded of the four guards, But he ended up as the best. And the same thing happened in the pros. Parkinson and Parker never made it. Macy was ok. But Sichting kept plugging away much like Brian Cardinal. And viola, he had an awesome pro career as well.

I don’t know if Smith’s style is similar to Sichting. But I know Sichting was that general on the floor. And by his efforts and instincts he outperformed many others with supposedly more athleticism and talent and was very successful at both the college and pro level.

I've enjoyed several heaping piles of crow about Smith since the season started.
This kid is a player and I'm glad I was 100% wrong about him.
He's probably the best PG I've seen at PU going back to Tony Jones in the 80's.
I love that he's gotten more aggressive on offense the last couple of games and he's making a deadly high PnR combo with Edey.
As Ray Davis said "Whatever 'It' is, Smith has it".
Many people have speculated that Painter doesn't sign top PGs because his offense will not use them effectively. Painter won't let them shine because he doesn't appreaciate "sauce". I hope that Smith has put that speculation to rest, just like past players have put to rest the notion that MP won't let a freshman shine.

I don't care about the fans speculating, but if recruits have believed this, then Smith may have a tremendous impact on future recruiting.

• Love
Reactions: nitrowars
I've enjoyed several heaping piles of crow about Smith since the season started.
This kid is a player and I'm glad I was 100% wrong about him.
He's probably the best PG I've seen at PU going back to Tony Jones in the 80's.
I love that he's gotten more aggressive on offense the last couple of games and he's making a deadly high PnR combo with Edey.
As Ray Davis said "Whatever 'It' is, Smith has it".
Me as well, glad to admit I was wrong about him. I wanted Hunter to return with Smith eased in, glad that didn’t happen. Not a shot at Hunter, Smith has been excellent!

Many people have speculated that Painter doesn't sign top PGs because his offense will not use them effectively. Painter won't let them shine because he doesn't appreaciate "sauce". I hope that Smith has put that speculation to rest, just like past players have put to rest the notion that MP won't let a freshman shine.

I don't care about the fans speculating, but if recruits have believed this, then Smith may have a tremendous impact on future recruiting.
Between Edwards, Ivey and now Smith, Painter is showing that our guards have the freedom and green light to do whatever they want:
Just be smart, pick your spots, and if you’re going to come down on a break and Jack up a 25 footer, you better hit a few.
But all 3 have shown that Painter let’s you get your own shot if you can.

Me as well, glad to admit I was wrong about him. I wanted Hunter to return with Smith eased in, glad that didn’t happen. Not a shot at Hunter, Smith has been excellent!
I’ll always admit when I’m wrong. But with Smith, he’s exceeded expectations by such a wide margin that it’s almost unbelievable. Same with Fletch.
Not only the top freshmen backcourt in the country, but arguably one of the top overall.

I’ll always admit when I’m wrong. But with Smith, he’s exceeded expectations by such a wide margin that it’s almost unbelievable. Same with Fletch.
Not only the top freshmen backcourt in the country, but arguably one of the top overall.

But the big question is whether Smith can "get his own shot"? ;)

Huge Cavs fan back to the early 80's, I love Price. One of the greatest shooters ever, we will see, but possible I guess. Craft? Much better defender than Smith, but Smith as a freshman is alrady a better scorer and shooter than Craft ever was, I dont see that one. Price was a better scorer his freshman year, but Price didnt have a POTY canidate to feed like Smith...I hope he turns into Price.
OK, how about Travis Ford

Just be smart, pick your spots, and if you’re going to come down on a break and Jack up a 25 footer, you better hit a few.
Smith already mentioned that Painter really encourages him
to take more shots when opportunities present.
I think the last time after Rutgers game?
He has been glad to oblige.
And it has worked beautiful since.

Boiler Up!

my $.01 $.02(now worth more)-different fans and different coaches (with different styles and makeup of team members use and recruit) have different ideas of what is a PG "IF" they use PG terminology.. With the reduction of the clock, tighter calls on the perimeter, and essentially no more 5 second calls for defending close on a dribbler (that many forget) there has been a shift to more dribble drive offenses and a lean to smaller ball. In many of those scenarios the PG is a main scorer and creator for others and obviously more ball dominant. Some that see that use that as the definition of a PG as it is more common.

As I have mentioned many times in the past, Matt is somewhat a contrarian in his approach to a lot of teams. Purdue does a lot of off ball screening and for many years had that dominant 5 that Purdue played through with typically an inside out approach.

Braden, like Carsen has opened some eyes that guards can excel in Matt's offensive approach..."IF" they have a skill set that is good enough that Matt incorporates that skill. Today, Matt has Purdue a household name where he has or had really good 1s,2s,4s, and 5s. I'm not sure who jumps off the page at 3?

When Zach leaves (may or may not be early) I personally see Braden flourishing a bit differently. There may or may not have that lob off a drive, but the more open spacing inside the arc givea a shifty Braden more space to operate...and probably elevate a bit more scoring from him. Still, winning is everything to him and he will score more, but still defer at times to those waiting on the ball...that's just who he is...

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Between Edwards, Ivey and now Smith, Painter is showing that our guards have the freedom and green light to do whatever they want:
But all 3 have shown that Painter let’s you get your own shot if you can.
He even let Jaden do some things some times that weren't...smart...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT