ADVERTISEMENT

Sisley

What were you looking for? There is nothing on there. If you're looking for where he will go. I am hoping Purdue his dad (Matt) knows Basketball inside out. He claims not to want to influence his decision. Matt is an IU fan I think he comes down with whomever offers the most. Just my gut no facts. It's been locked for a couple of years.
It kind of reminds me of when we were recruiting Colin Hartman. Wasn't he a Purdue lean for a long time and then switched to IU late and never recovered from multiple injuries? Maybe he has been an IU lean and doesn't see a good ending committing to IU.

It kind of reminds me of when we were recruiting Colin Hartman. Wasn't he a Purdue lean for a long time and then switched to IU late and never recovered from multiple injuries? Maybe he has been an IU lean and doesn't see a good ending committing to IU.
His IU commitment will always be memorable to me because he sounded like he was joining a cult rather than committing to a basketball program. Made an emotional decision instead of an intelligent one.

In hindsight, I'm glad he ended up at Indiana. I'm sure Jon Octeus was too.

Last edited:
Some IU fans are interpreting that as proof that Woody knows he’s out, and Pearl is negotiating a contract with Doltson behind the scenes. Probably.
Pearl? LOL. I mean, sure, he might be foolish enough to leave Auburn and go somewhere that will expect him to hang a banner within 2 seasons.

all of us from this board are the kid talking to Paint…Brian sums it up quite nicely for us 😂

I love it. Right or wrong I've always had the impression that part of the state was solidly IU territory. I'd like to think there are some old timers in that gym who are absolutely disgusted to see Matt Painter in their territory. The type who like to wax poetic about Bobby over coffee at the filler station on Saturday morning.

What were you looking for? There is nothing on there. If you're looking for where he will go. I am hoping Purdue his dad (Matt) knows Basketball inside out. He claims not to want to influence his decision. Matt is an IU fan I think he comes down with whomever offers the most. Just my gut no facts. It's been locked for a couple of years.
Some iU posters were saying it is a bad look that Sisley's family was liking a post pointing to the fact that 0 IU coaches were attending his playoff game.

Ok so I think I found his dad’s account but it is locked down - unless he follows you, no bueno to see his activity. Not sure this happened before/after liking the tweet about Woody being a no-show.
surprised steve urkel GIF

Detective Beef

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Last year (I think) Paul Lusk was filling in for CMP on the weekly radio show. When asked about recruiting, Lusk said that he has never seen a head coach do as many trips in person to see recruits play than CMP. That is usually something the assistants do more than the head coach. CMP is just a basketball junkie and probably enjoys the visits. My guess is that Woodson doesn't enjoy that aspect of head coaching as much.

Some IU fans are interpreting that as proof that Woody knows he’s out, and Pearl is negotiating a contract with Doltson behind the scenes. Probably.
Pearl is 63…turning 64. IU would have to make him the highest paid coach in the B1G and that’d be tons of pressure to win right away. Not sure he will leave Auburn with what he’s built down there but who knows. Maybe Auburn pays him more and makes him second highest paid coach in country

Reactions: Boiler79
0 IU coaching staff present?!? Rumors starting to swirl either Sisley told them he isn’t interested or Woodson knows a change is coming and he’s likely gone.

Curious times.
FWIW- Years ago I went to a Tipton game and sat in one of the folding chairs on the baseline. I think maybe Tipton (Derek Elston) was playing Fort Wayne Bishop Luers with James Blackmon coaching Deshawn Thomas. Behind me was Dakich and his asst. Meyers. We talked a bit about DJ Bryd and Derek Elston who both had already committed to Purdue and IU respectively. Dakich essentially said he didn't know why he was here, because IU just wanted him to clean up the mess and he wasn't getting hired. He went even though he was pretty confident he wasn't getting the job.

Another view is that IU has shifted away from high school recruiting and will do everything with more known commodities through the portal and with NIL?

Did not know about Iowa. Heard how slimy he was but he can coach it seems
Yeah, what he did at Iowa in the Deon Thomas scandal is how he went from a lead recruiter on a Top 20 team to coaching at Southern Indiana. Then, it was huge news when he took Milwaukee to the Sweet 16 because the topic became will a Power school hire him again and he had to play Illinois. Of course, Tennessee hires him and he gets caught cheating.

He can definately coach. That's for sure.

Last edited:
My guess is Pearl will use them to get a nice raise out of Auburn. They’d be smarter to target a coach NOT in the SEC or B1G.
Good point. Why leave Auburn at this point? You have a brand new arena. A rabid fanbase (they actually show for basketball), prime location for recruiting Georgia, Florida, Alabama, etc., and that rabid fanbase cares far more about the success of the football team.

Last year (I think) Paul Lusk was filling in for CMP on the weekly radio show. When asked about recruiting, Lusk said that he has never seen a head coach do as many trips in person to see recruits play than CMP. That is usually something the assistants do more than the head coach. CMP is just a basketball junkie and probably enjoys the visits. My guess is that Woodson doesn't enjoy that aspect of head coaching as much.
similar to Dan Mullen in football

Good point. Why leave Auburn at this point? You have a brand new arena. A rabid fanbase (they actually show for basketball), prime location for recruiting Georgia, Florida, Alabama, etc., and that rabid fanbase cares far more about the success of the football team.
Exactly. And I know ppl say B1G has money but so does the SEC. Pearls contract is already 2nd most in B1G…and I’m sure he will get even more after this year with IU sniffing around.

Another view is that IU has shifted away from high school recruiting and will do everything with more known commodities through the portal and with NIL?
I think that is certainly a way to look at it. Granted that’s like having cracks in your walls painted instead of fixing your foundation - short term and doesn’t fix anything. I mean that is basically what they have to do assuming Woodson is back and attrition they will see.

What I don’t know is the rules on recruiting visits. Believe you are limited to the number of on campus official visits and off campus visits. What I don’t know either is, does Painter showing up to watch a kid play without talking to him count? Would assume no since it is a dude watching basketball.

@Smokestack91 nailed it with “Painter is a basketball junkie”.

Never said I liked Pearl but the guy can coach and his teams play an aggressive up tempo style that I think would have success in the B1G
That would be one plus. I'm kind of sick of watching some of these Big Ten wrestling matches with a basketball. We know Cronin (sp?) doesn't play up tempo. Do Oregon, Washington and USC? I've watched about 30 seconds combined of those 3 teams this year.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I think that is certainly a way to look at it. Granted that’s like having cracks in your walls painted instead of fixing your foundation - short term and doesn’t fix anything. I mean that is basically what they have to do assuming Woodson is back and attrition they will see.

What I don’t know is the rules on recruiting visits. Believe you are limited to the number of on campus official visits and off campus visits. What I don’t know either is, does Painter showing up to watch a kid play without talking to him count? Would assume no since it is a dude watching basketball.

I do NOT think it counts, but I'm certainly not the expert to be taken as a definitive and yes I understand the foundation part, but couldn't a foundation be that of portal use? I'm unsure with NIL that a team must take a more traditional college approach if that place wants to build as a professional team. I personally like Matt's approach, but I have no influence anywhere...

I do NOT think it counts, but I'm certainly not the expert to be taken as a definitive and yes I understand the foundation part, but couldn't a foundation be that of portal use? I'm unsure with NIL that a team must take a more traditional college approach if that place wants to build as a professional team. I personally like Matt's approach, but I have no influence anywhere...
Curious on how the recruiting limits etc work. I’m sure you have to have one persons job be to track and manage.

As to building a team, I feel like with the portal you can get single or multi year guys. Perhaps you can find the balance somewhere. Arkansas is a great example of tons of portal guys and no cohesion. Alabama is tons of guys and cohesion.

Reactions: tjreese
Pearl would be a good get for iu

You mean good for Purdue in the long run or were you being serious, you think he'd be good for IU? He would NOT be in the long run. Sure, he might even take them to the Final Four, and that is good, but the guy is a 63 year old snake oil salesman and slimy as can be. I don't think that's the direction IU is looking for, right? And older guy just brought in for a few years that will possibly turnaround the program... and then leave it with a disaster when he is ultimately fired for some sort of ethics complaint? People are always high on Beard and Pearl but both have FAR more baggage than they are worth. I agree with many that say Pearl would just use IU to get a raise at Auburn. No way he wants all the spotlight on him and his behavior at IU. He could get away with murder at Auburn and as long as he's making the tournament and ranked... the SEC doesn't care.

Reactions: ChuckJr
It will be a good game for Sisley to watch and very helpful to form an opinion.

Curious on how the recruiting limits etc work. I’m sure you have to have one persons job be to track and manage.

As to building a team, I feel like with the portal you can get single or multi year guys. Perhaps you can find the balance somewhere. Arkansas is a great example of tons of portal guys and no cohesion. Alabama is tons of guys and cohesion.
probably easiest and maybe most effective to be selective for 1 or 2 max for specific needs and even then it too is not fool proof

probably easiest and maybe most effective to be selective for 1 or 2 max for specific needs and even then it too is not fool proof
Probably right. Also have to leverage how visits etc are counted when you go to AAU type events.

Reactions: tjreese

No face-to-face talk, no visit. There are limited weeks in the year that a rep of the college can f2f ... that is what burnt Frank

I haven’t seen him play, but will say this. Most times a player from a school that doesn’t play the best competition struggles playing big time college basketball. Don’t think Heritage Hills plays a tough schedule.
I've seen him more than a dozen times. He will be a very good college player and someone painter will covet. He reminds me of Vince edwards. Good athlete (not a freak) and very skilled.

Did not know about Iowa. Heard how slimy he was but he can coach it seems
It's been a number of years but I think I remember the story as this. He taped a phone conversation with Deon Thomas about how U of I was going to give him a Blazer (car, not a jacket) and turned in Illinois to the NCAA.

It's been a number of years but I think I remember the story as this. He taped a phone conversation with Deon Thomas about how U of I was going to give him a Blazer (car, not a jacket) and turned in Illinois to the NCAA.
Yep looked it up…not cool

all of us from this board are the kid talking to Paint…Brian sums it up quite nicely for us 😂

I can tell you that not long ago painter or any purdue coach would have 0 chance at a kid like sisley. Dad is a big fan of our little brother and the local area is very pro iu. Matt's success and the way he handles himself in hs games is noticed by everyone in southern indiana. I heard alot of complements this season from old iu faithful people. He's been to several of trents games this season and he's won over alot of people. Doesn't hurt that iu is a dumpster fire right now but matt deserves alot of credit. He's definitely turning southern indiana into a less hostile place for boiler alums and fans.

I can tell you that not long ago painter or any purdue coach would have 0 chance at a kid like sisley. Dad is a big fan of our little brother and the local area is very pro iu. Matt's success and the way he handles himself in hs games is noticed by everyone in southern indiana. I heard alot of complements this season from old iu faithful people. He's been to several of trents games this season and he's won over alot of people. Doesn't hurt that iu is a dumpster fire right now but matt deserves alot of credit. He's definitely turning southern indiana into a less hostile place for boiler alums and fans.
...and honesty over time brings a lot of respect to parents and players as he goes forward. He has been able to convince players that Matt/Purdue benefits if he gets the most out of every player and will do so my laying out what is needed and how that will be measured. Everyone knows where they and other players stand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT