ADVERTISEMENT

Shannon is back

I just watched a podcast with Gary Parrish with CBS sports about the Illini/Shannon situation. I actually think he’s pretty spot on on the issue. Shannon should not be playing as the situation that led to his suspension did not change. The civil suit leading to the restraining order doesn’t change the reason he was suspended, and certainly doesn’t require him to be given playing time! Innocent until proven guilty is applicable to jail time but doesn’t affect the rules of a school that is related toward the ability to take part in a sport…that is a privilege. Parrish’s statement that the suspension was not harming his draft stock or potential professional career but rather the fact that he was charged with sexual assault that hurts his standing!
I think the issue is that Illinois failed to follow their own due process rules or at least the judge thought so.

If that's true, then all Illinois needs to do is give him the correct process and they can suspend him. He isn't going to get the same DP as a criminal trial, so it shouldn't be that hard.

There's enough in that affidavit to justify it IMO

I think the issue is that Illinois failed to follow their own due process rules or at least the judge thought so.

If that's true, then all Illinois needs to do is give him the correct process and they can suspend him. He isn't going to get the same DP as a criminal trial, so it shouldn't be that hard.

There's enough in that affidavit to justify it IMO
Maybe Illinois should have employed the Nate Oates “wrong place, wrong time” defense.

So by that logic DGL and his family should sue since he sits on the bench? The judge blocked UI from suspending him from the team
LOL, I can't blame you since you probably haven't read the judge's ruling. But sure, DGL could sue but he'd lose. In fact, one of the cases cited in the ruling was from another athlete who was suing because they weren't being allowed to play. But in that case the judge denied his request because it was from a freshman who was a long shot to play professionally. The difference here is TSJ has some pretty good evidence that he is projected as a likely draft choice and that factors highly in the judge's view as to the immediate harm being done to him. As well as his current NIL income.

So Underwood not playing him would likely be viewed by the courts as being the same as a suspension and in violation of the court order.

There's a lot more detail to the situation than most fans will be aware of so I get these reactions. I'll just say that people around the program are pretty convinced the charges do not have merit. And Shannon would have to be some sort of sociopath to behave like he has during all this if he actually committed this crime.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
LOL, I can't blame you since you probably haven't read the judge's ruling. But sure, DGL could sue but he'd lose. In fact, one of the cases cited in the ruling was from another athlete who was suing because they weren't being allowed to play. But in that case the judge denied his request because it was from a freshman who was a long shot to play professionally. The difference here is TSJ has some pretty good evidence that he is projected as a likely draft choice and that factors highly in the judge's view as to the immediate harm being done to him. As well as his current NIL income.

So Underwood not playing him would likely be viewed by the courts as being the same as a suspension and in violation of the court order.

There's a lot more detail to the situation than most fans will be aware of so I get these reactions. I'll just say that people around the program are pretty convinced the charges do not have merit. And Shannon would have to be some sort of sociopath to behave like he has during all this if he actually committed this crime.
Not spending time reading it for multiple reasons and mainly because I am not a lawyer so wouldn’t understand it. I did see they cited his draft potential as one of the reasons for allowing him back.

I do agree with your last paragraph that Illinois must be 100% behind TSJ. Otherwise this would be suicide if they believed otherwise. I do believe innocent until proven guilty and he should be given his day in court.

I believe athletes are students and that rules that apply to students should also apply to student athletes. There shouldn’t be two sets of rules. That is what is wrong with our current society. I’m privileged or rich or famous or powerful so the laws don’t apply to me. I’m immune!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT