ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question Boilers...

IUHDog

True Freshman
Oct 15, 2002
What happened to DJ Johnson? He was rated very highly coming out of high school and he was supposed to have an impact in Purdue's secondary this year. Now he has "opted out".

What's happening with him?

Shame on me, I don't even recognize that name. As for what happened to him...remember a guy named Desmond Tardy? Set the Indiana HS record for rushing yards in a championship game (over 300), I think he ran for 4 TD's that day. I remember watching him in that game thinking "This...this is our first 1K rusher in a while." Got to Purdue and didn't really see the field until his junior year with no significant PT until his Sr year. I remember reading an article on him as a sophomore where he said "The biggest difference between this and HS is the speed. I'm still trying to adjust to it." A lot of very good players never get over that "next" hump.

What happened to DJ Johnson? He was rated very highly coming out of high school and he was supposed to have an impact in Purdue's secondary this year. Now he has "opted out".

No idea. He had a terrible game against Rutgers where he gave a terrible effort on the 100-yard kickoff. Seems to be a huge bust so far.

Shame on me, I don't even recognize that name. As for what happened to him...remember a guy named Desmond Tardy? Set the Indiana HS record for rushing yards in a championship game (over 300), I think he ran for 4 TD's that day. I remember watching him in that game thinking "This...this is our first 1K rusher in a while." Got to Purdue and didn't really see the field until his junior year with no significant PT until his Sr year. I remember reading an article on him as a sophomore where he said "The biggest difference between this and HS is the speed. I'm still trying to adjust to it." A lot of very good players never get over that "next" hump.
I will agree with that on Tardy's Purdue career. Of course, wasn't he a QB in high school, so he was the best athlete on the field most games, and they probably did option running with him on a lot of the plays of those games. James Banks, who we tried to get so badly, put up incredible numbers too in high school, and he didn't do anything in college. Tardy had a way better college career than Banks.

I will always remember Tardy being part of the hook and ladder against Michigan for the win at Ross Ade.

I will agree with that on Tardy's Purdue career. Of course, wasn't he a QB in high school, so he was the best athlete on the field most games, and they probably did option running with him on a lot of the plays of those games. James Banks, who we tried to get so badly, put up incredible numbers too in high school, and he didn't do anything in college. Tardy had a way better college career than Banks.

I will always remember Tardy being part of the hook and ladder against Michigan for the win at Ross Ade.

Better career only because Banks had severe off the field issues at Tennessee that eventually got him kicked off the team. Banks started a couple games at QB as a true freshman back when UT was a top 10 team in the country. He moved to WR as a sophomore and put up some pretty good #'s there. Banks is the best Indiana high school football player I've ever seen and that's saying something.

Last edited:
Better career only because Banks had severe off the field issues at Tennessee that eventually got him kicked off the team. Banks started at QB as a true freshman back when UT was a top 10 team in the country. He moved to WR as a sophomore and put up some pretty good #'s there. Banks is the best Indiana high school football player I've ever seen and that's saying something.
Banks was his own biggest problem. Kid was an absolute stud. Got the big big head at Tennessee. Was lazy and thought it would be easy. Man. If he would of continued to work he would of been an NFL player.
As for DJ Johnson I think it was a sort of forced opt out and he was told you need to go home figure out if you want to be here and give the effort required to play BIG football. If you want to be here this is the expectations. If you aren’t here in January for classes then we know your answer. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
Banks was his own biggest problem. Kid was an absolute stud. Got the big big head at Tennessee. Was lazy and thought it would be easy. Man. If he would of continued to work he would of been an NFL player.
As for DJ Johnson I think it was a sort of forced opt out and he was told you need to go home figure out if you want to be here and give the effort required to play BIG football. If you want to be here this is the expectations. If you aren’t here in January for classes then we know your answer. Good luck.

Banks problems were definitely self-inflicted. I don’t know how prevalent recruiting sites and rankings were 20 years ago but Banks was undoubtedly a 5* recruit and one of the best prep I’ve ever seen, better than George in my opinion given his athleticism.

Banks problems were definitely self-inflicted. I don’t know how prevalent recruiting sites and rankings were 20 years ago but Banks was undoubtedly a 5* recruit and one of the best prep I’ve ever seen, better than George in my opinion given his athleticism.
I remember reading or hearing about him visiting one of the in state schools for a recruiting visit. Came decked out in bling with an entourage in tow expecting the full treatment. Evidently he or the school wasn't impressed.

Better career only because Banks had severe off the field issues at Tennessee that eventually got him kicked off the team. Banks started a couple games at QB as a true freshman back when UT was a top 10 team in the country. He moved to WR as a sophomore and put up some pretty good #'s there. Banks is the best Indiana high school football player I've ever seen and that's saying something.
I only saw highlights of Banks and Bell I have to give the nod to Bell now. The things he did playing in the MIC of today which I think is as good a high school football conference as any in the country. I know Banks also played in the MIC but I think the conference has really taken off not that it was ever a slouch. I remember my father and mother taking us to watch those Carmel Ben David games pre Banks but he was good but I gotta go with Bell.

Have you ever imagined playing for bear Bryant at the height of Alabama’s dominance during his time as coach ?

I only saw highlights of Banks and Bell I have to give the nod to Bell now. The things he did playing in the MIC of today which I think is as good a high school football conference as any in the country. I know Banks also played in the MIC but I think the conference has really taken off not that it was ever a slouch. I remember my father and mother taking us to watch those Carmel Ben David games pre Banks but he was good but I gotta go with Bell.

No disrespect to David Bell, but I don't think they are on the same stratosphere. Tough to compare Bell as he was a WR and didn't touch the ball every play, but Banks was transcendental when he was on the field. Only other player I've seen that fits the comparison is Nick Zachery from Sheridan and not sure its a comparison either. You could make a legitimate argument that David Bell wasn't even the best player on his high school team.

I see what you are saying since Banks touched the ball on every play where Bell does not but what Nell did with the ball in his hands was truly spectacular. Also just saw highlights.

I see what you are saying since Banks touched the ball on every play where Bell does not but what Nell did with the ball in his hands was truly spectacular. Also just saw highlights.

Bell was extremely good, but his teammate Romeir Elliot you could argue was the better player. 3000+ yards rushing and over 40 TD's. Think he's the MIC single season rushing leader and that's saying something.

Bell was extremely good, but his teammate Romeir Elliot you could argue was the better player. 3000+ yards rushing and over 40 TD's. Think he's the MIC single season rushing leader and that's saying something.
I think having Bell on the outside helped him immensely if I remember he was an undersized running but was very explosive.

Do you know how/why he ended up at Southern Illinois? I take it he must not have had a lot of power 5 offers.

Do you know how/why he ended up at Southern Illinois? I take it he must not have had a lot of power 5 offers.

He was a little guy, listed at 5'7 but probably closer to 5'5 or 5'6 but still built pretty well. I think Ball State and a couple of the directional Michigan schools came in at the 11th hour but he stuck true to SIU.

Reactions: Tommaker and SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT