ADVERTISEMENT

Second practice

Dandelion1972

Sophomore
Aug 24, 2002
West Lafayette
Second spring practice is in the books.

The following players were in street clothes, or on the sidelines, not practicing:

- David Bell – street clothes

- Lorenzo – hybrid street clothes

- Jackson Anthrop (off-season foot injury – played some of last season with broken bone)

- Jared Sparks – in a walking boot

- Victor Beach – didn’t see him today

- J.D. Dellinger – street clothes

- Roger Stone - orange suit

- Mike Bobinski

At 3:15, upon arrival (again, they didn’t wait for me) the defense was on the field. At their positions, and sometimes 5 players deep, they were going over assignments. They would call a scheme and yell ‘go’. Then each player was to move to their assignments. Sometimes back, sometimes forward, sometimes out or in, sometimes just hold. Once I realized what they were doing, I started writing down the players numbers, but I only got through 2 positions:

Weakside: DE Mitchell McWilliams Triplett Hunter Conners

Weakside: DT Faucheux Sullivan Marks

Wish I had gotten there just a little earlier

This and that:

Wright had a beautiful shoetop reception.

Maliq had an incredible one hand, falling OB grab.

Beverly had an INT.

Romphf had a couple of breakdowns in coverage, but also had a nice breakup.

Nick Sipe was seen along the sidelines.

Amad is a free spirit. Whenever possible he is dancing or boogeying or whatever he is doing.

Didn’t mention 3 receivers that were a factor yesterday and today. Yaseen, Childers and Summers. Someone on the sidelines (J.K.) pointed this out to me, so I took notice today. To my knowledge, these 3 didn’t drop anything that could be caught.

Same as practice #1. Practice was helmets and shorts, but no pads. I noticed quite a few linemen (OL and DL) wearing the knee braces. We’ve seen that on the OL for several years now, but to see it on DL and LB’s was new to me.

They got the door out, but didn’t use it today.

Running the ball in order would be King, Hewitt, Zander, Armor and Lewis. If I were to guess. The 5 RB’s game over to the jug after practice, so we got a close-up look at them. Armor is huge in his trunk and thighs. Next to him, Hewitt looks like a stick.

QB’s - I repeat. Well it looks like Jack and Aiden will be competing for the top spot, with Paul (who, to me, REALLY looks the part) coming in third. Albers looks really inexperienced compared to the other 3. Aiden was running with the 1’s. Jack, the 2’s. Paul, the 3’s. Jack Albers, the 4’s. And me, the 5’s (I still have 4 years of college eligibility!).

Defensive 1’s seemed to be this:

George Watts Deen Mitchell (yes this is correct)

Graham Barnes Alexander

Mackey Trice

Thieneman Allen

Defensive 2’s – Don’t quote me on these

Lane Johnson Faucheux Triplett

Saunders Wahlberg Fakasieniki

Rucker Beverly

Ball #25 (?)

We want Yanni!

O 1s

Bramel Washington Garvin Craig Hermanns TE Miller/Durham

Aiden

WR’s and RB’s are interchangeable

OL 2

Monnot Jornigan Holstege Stickford Miller Cravaak (interesting switch from DE)

Jack

Diaco did a press briefing afterward, so I’m sure that’s going to be available. He is animated, enthusiastic and very-well spoken. You’ll like him. (well, of course, if we’re able to stop anybody)

Biagi had the special teams working on some techniques that I’ve never seen before. Looks promising, but I won’t spoil it for you.

On one drill, JaMarcus was giving Maliq a hard time. I think Maliq had complained that the coach threw him a bad pass during one of the drills (he throws as many passes in a practice as each QB). So JaMarcus, after each pass, was saying “Maliq, there’s another good pass. Maliq, another. Maliq another. Maliq!” right on through the entire rotation of WR’s. So Maliq comes over, grabs a ball and throws one downfield for the next to last WR to catch. It was at LEAST 10 yards over the receiver’s head. Funny! It’s no surprise to those of us on the sidelines, that quality receivers want to come and play for this coach!

-------------another plug for GBI--------------------------

I was told that we’ll only be allowed in to the first 3 practices, so this reporting may be short and you may have to go over to GBI and get the professional run down on each practice by subscribing (hint – hint).

Last edited:

The following players were in street clothes, or on the sidelines, not practicing:

- Jackson Anthrop (off-season foot injury – played some of last season with broken bone)

- Mike Bobinski

At 3:15, upon arrival (again, they didn’t wait for me) the defense was on the field. At their positions, and sometimes 5 players deep, they were going over assignments. They would call a scheme and yell ‘go’. Then each player was to move to their assignments. Sometimes back, sometimes forward, sometimes out or in, sometimes just hold. Once I realized what they were doing, I started writing down the players numbers, but I only got through 2 positions:

This and that:

Beverly had an INT.

Amad is a free spirit. Whenever possible he is dancing or boogeying or whatever he is doing.

Didn’t mention 3 receivers that were a factor yesterday and today. Yaseen, Childers and Summers. Someone on the sidelines (J.K.) pointed this out to me, so I took notice today. To my knowledge, these 3 didn’t drop anything that could be caught.

Same as practice #1. Practice was helmets and shorts, but no pads. I noticed quite a few linemen (OL and DL) wearing the knee braces. We’ve seen that on the OL for several years now, but to see it on DL and LB’s was new to me.

Running the ball in order would be King, Hewitt, Zander, Armor and Lewis. If I were to guess. The 5 RB’s game over to the jug after practice, so we got a close-up look at them. Armor is huge in his trunk and thighs. Next to him, Hewitt looks like a stick.

QB’s - I repeat. Well it looks like Jack and Aiden will be competing for the top spot, with Paul (who, to me, REALLY looks the part) coming in third. Albers looks really inexperienced compared to the other 3. Aiden was running with the 1’s. Jack, the 2’s. Paul, the 3’s. Jack Albers, the 4’s. And me, the 5’s (I still have 4 years of college eligibility!).

Graham Barnes Alexander

Mackey Trice

Thieneman Allen

Rucker Beverly

Ball #25 (?)

We want Yanni!

O 1s

Aiden

OL 2

Jack

Diaco did a press briefing afterward, so I’m sure that’s going to be available. He is animated, enthusiastic and very-well spoken. You’ll like him. (well, of course, if we’re able to stop anybody)

Biagi had the special teams working on some techniques that I’ve never seen before. Looks promising, but I won’t spoil it for you.

On one drill, JaMarcus was giving Maliq a hard time. I think Maliq had complained that the coach threw him a bad pass during one of the drills (he throws as many passes in a practice as each QB). So JaMarcus, after each pass, was saying “Maliq, there’s another good pass. Maliq, another. Maliq another. Maliq!” right on through the entire rotation of WR’s. So Maliq comes over, grabs a ball and throws one downfield for the next to last WR to catch. It was at LEAST 10 yards over the receiver’s head. Funny! It’s no surprise to those of us on the sidelines, that quality receivers want to come and play for this coach!

I was told that we’ll only be allowed in to the first 3 practices, so this reporting may be short and you may have to go over to GBI and get the professional run down on each practice by subscribing (hint – hint).
Great report.Thanks.

Reactions: DAG10
Thanks for the great write up. I have noticed in both practices that you have mentioned Wright and a couple of his catches. Sound like he has worked on his hands in the offseason. That was obviously a problem in the regular season last year. Might be primed to take over significant minutes this upcoming year.

Reactions: Dandelion1972
Are you sure about Mitchell playing on the line? He was supposed to be a plug-in starter at LB.

OP is listing the TEs with the linemen.

giphy.gif

Interesting to see Triplett's name appearing so much with the first & second unit. I'd heard he was really athletic, but didn't get as much attention due to not playing against the bigger schools such as those in the MIC or big school conferences. He must've spent the last year putting on some weight and gaining strength. I also look for Wahlberg to be a contributor this season - the 3-4 may actually be a better scheme for him, despite not being recruited to/for that defensive alignment.

Reactions: boiler2288
Wondering how the first and second teams are determined for first practices with new defensive coordinator and D line coach?

Wondering how the first and second teams are determined for first practices with new defensive coordinator and D line coach?

By height.
Just kidding, I'm sure that the new coaches(especially Diaco) have watched film extensively as well as getting input from the carryover coaches. Strength coach(es) likely provided their input as well.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Interesting to see Triplett's name appearing so much with the first & second unit. I'd heard he was really athletic, but didn't get as much attention due to not playing against the bigger schools such as those in the MIC or big school conferences. He must've spent the last year putting on some weight and gaining strength. I also look for Wahlberg to be a contributor this season - the 3-4 may actually be a better scheme for him, despite not being recruited to/for that defensive alignment.
He played at Michigan City HS which is in the Duneland conference. All schools in the conference are 5A and 6A.

He played at Michigan City HS which is in the Duneland conference. All schools in the conference are 5A and 6A.

I knew that, but it's nowhere near the competition of the big school central Indiana conferences like the MIC or Conference Indiana in terms of athletes or exposure. Not a shot at Chase at all - I believe he'll end up being a real steal for Purdue.

I knew that, but it's nowhere near the competition of the big school central Indiana conferences like the MIC or Conference Indiana in terms of competition or exposure. Not a shot at Chase at all - I believe he'll end up being a real steal for Purdue.
I’ve seen him play in HS. He is very athletic. I thought he was a little thin his senior year. Hopefully he has put on some good weight. The feedback I got from parents is that he is a very good kid.

Reactions: jindy
I’ve seen him play in HS. He is very athletic. I thought he was a little thin his senior year. Hopefully he has put on some good weight. The feedback I got from parents is that he is a very good kid.

Agree, I know a few coaches in the area who saw him quite a bit there - athleticism is a huge strong point. That and I've heard he's a great kid and student with very strong leadership skills. If he's added strength/good weight it makes sense that he'll find his way up the depth chart.

OK, guys and gals, tomorrow is the last day for me to visit the spring practices, so let me know before about 2, if you want me to give a look at anyone in particular.

Triplett is checked on my roster.

Last edited:
Eric Hunter looks great to me! But I've been impressed with him from day 1, last year.

OK, I'll check those guys.

Dontay looks big and mean to me, but I think he's running at the #4 DE/LB.

Bilodeau - I think he was running with the 3's and 4's, but they do so much shuffling with the WR's and TE's that it's hard to get a feel for any of them.

Reactions: Bobtheboiler88
Eric Hunter looks great to me! But I've been impressed with him from day 1, last year.

OK, I'll check those guys.

Dontay looks big and mean to me, but I think he's running at the #4 DE/LB.

Bilodeau - I think he was running with the 3's and 4's, but they do so much shuffling with the WR's and TE's that it's hard to get a feel for any of them.
Thank you

Reactions: wrd

- Mike Bobinski

This and that:

Beverly had an INT.

Graham Barnes Alexander

Mackey Trice

Thieneman Allen

Rucker Beverly

Ball #25 (?)

We want Yanni!

O 1s

Aiden

OL 2

Jack

Anxiously awaiting your #3 practice updates!!!! Where are you????

Reactions: Dandelion1972
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT