ADVERTISEMENT

SCOTUS appears to overturn RvW, could NIL be next

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Regardless where you stand on the abortion issue, it is quiet amazing that in my lifetime that it may be overturned.

With that decision behind them, I could see schools /NCAA challenging the NIL as we now see it has gone exactly as many of us predicted it would go. Schools like A$#&78@ and O$$# are most upset as now schools are allowed to legally do what they have done illegally for years.

I see a little more NIL regulations possibly happening, but I don't see the NIL going away now anytime soon. NCAA should have better prepared, and should have foreseen what everyone knew what is going to happening.

As far as schools being upset, schools like OSU are flush with cash from boosters and alumni. They will be able to easily compete, if it means winning a NC.

I see a little more NIL regulations possibly happening, but I don't see the NIL going away now anytime soon. NCAA should have better prepared, and should have foreseen what everyone knew what is going to happening.

As far as schools being upset, schools like OSU are flush with cash from boosters and alumni. They will be able to easily compete, if it means winning a NC.
The schools don’t pay. 🤦🏻 The alumni/businesses do directly. The schools couldn’t hide it easily. It’s the same as before. The ones who cheated (boosters)can just do it in the open now.

Regardless where you stand on the abortion issue, it is quiet amazing that in my lifetime that it may be overturned.

With that decision behind them, I could see schools /NCAA challenging the NIL as we now see it has gone exactly as many of us predicted it would go. Schools like A$#&78@ and O$$# are most upset as now schools are allowed to legally do what they have done illegally for years.
It’s crazy but what’s even more shocking is the leaked documents.

The cat is out of the bag, and it ain't going back in. Capitalism has officially taken over. This is the new landscape for major college sports. Only way it goes back to the old format is if some schools decide to break away and form their own division where compensation of any kind is not allowed. But I can't see the cut throat schools like osu ever going back. The ncaa is now just a terribly regulated/organized professional league.

Sotomayor gonna dunk on you while getting paid.

The USSC has not made an official ruling. All that’s been put out was a leaked draft of an initial position. It does not necessarily mean that the final ruling will be in-line with the leaked draft.

This whole episode is just liberal carping about the ability to kill unborn babies and posturing for the ‘22 midterms. The Ds hope this energizes the moribund state of the D party right now.

The USSC has not made an official ruling. All that’s been put out was a leaked draft of an initial position. It does not necessarily mean that the final ruling will be in-line with the leaked draft.

This whole episode is just liberal carping about the ability to kill unborn babies and posturing for the ‘22 midterms. The Ds hope this energizes the moribund state of the D party right now.
Now we wait to see if the conservatives fumble the football after the onside kick by the Dems.

Reactions: pboiler18
If a case ever made it to the Supreme Court, the NCAA as we know it would cease to exist. The reason the NIL situation has been so hastily implemented is because the NCAA wants nothing to do with the civil courts. The revenue and governing model would surely be considered a violation of anti-trust statutes, and the plaintiff‘s bar would circle and devour them in no time flat. They’re still massively exposed on this matter, since NIL did nothing to address the sharing of revenues (they just told players they could cut their own deals, but the NCAA isn‘t sharing anything they already pull in). This is just starting.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
It would be funny, if all the players that received NIL money as a recruitment incentive or a retention bonus, were all ruled ineligible for having taken illegal compensation.

It would be poetic justice, if the players could keep the money, but be ineligible to play for that school. A lot of boosters may think twice about paying so much to get nothing in return.

If a case ever made it to the Supreme Court, the NCAA as we know it would cease to exist. The reason the NIL situation has been so hastily implemented is because the NCAA wants nothing to do with the civil courts. The revenue and governing model would surely be considered a violation of anti-trust statutes, and the plaintiff‘s bar would circle and devour them in no time flat. They’re still massively exposed on this matter, since NIL did nothing to address the sharing of revenues (they just told players they could cut their own deals, but the NCAA isn‘t sharing anything they already pull in). This is just starting.
SCOTUS pretty much said as much in the Alston Case, the whole amateurism thing is just a facade for the NCAA to not pay the players and violate antitrust laws

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT