ADVERTISEMENT

Sales to . . .

It's not that we don't target or prioritize highly regarded HS OL, it's just that we land almost none of them. We've landed so many good to great receivers that we're already seeing lesser Brohm recruits at the position leave due to lack of playing time, and we have already landed more good WR this class, yet we still cannot land top tier or even good OL commitments, even though the need is glaring. In fact we can't even land fill-in transfers now, like we did before, even when we think we have. That jerk who magically flipped to TCU comes to mind. It's comical at this point how bad we are at improving the OL. We're like Charlie Brown going to kick the football when it comes to OL.

??

You don't think (composite) 3-star OL are ... "good"?

??

You don't think (composite) 3-star OL are ... "good"?
I don't just look at star ratings, but offers from other schools. Based on the offers so far I would not call the OL prospect we are linked to now "good." He looks similar to Nalin Fox last year, who was at last check the lowest rated player of last year's class. Yes, I know this guy is rated higher, but the offers are from similar schools; his only other known offer was another MAC school. And if we felt he was that good, we would have went after him earlier, instead of swinging and missing on these other guys.

I don't just look at star ratings, but offers from other schools. Based on the offers so far I would not call the OL prospect we are linked to now "good." He looks similar to Nalin Fox last year, who was at last check the lowest rated player of last year's class. Yes, I know this guy is rated higher, but the offers are from similar schools; his only other known offer was another MAC school. And if we felt he was that good, we would have went after him earlier, instead of swinging and missing on these other guys.

Fair enough.

Doesn't mean the kids aren't ... "good". Correct?

This past NFL draft, some of the top centers were from Temple, San Diego State, Memphis, Western Michigan.

Among the top Guards were players from Louisiana-Lafayette, Fresno State, Charlotte, Kansas, Iowa State, Washburn, Rhode Island, Ball State.

Some of the top Tackles were from Houston, Louisiana-Lafayette, St. John's (MN!), UConn, SC State.

We can "talk-down" and trash the recruits, or we can recognize that it is an incredibly difficult game to look at a 17/18 year old HS student and project him to the CFB game in 2-3 years ... ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE!

Not picking on you, but this narrative you (and others) have chosen is abundantly pointless. Especially for OL.

Fair enough.

Doesn't mean the kids aren't ... "good". Correct?

This past NFL draft, some of the top centers were from Temple, San Diego State, Memphis, Western Michigan.

Among the top Guards were players from Louisiana-Lafayette, Fresno State, Charlotte, Kansas, Iowa State, Washburn, Rhode Island, Ball State.

Some of the top Tackles were from Houston, Louisiana-Lafayette, St. John's (MN!), UConn, SC State.

We can "talk-down" and trash the recruits, or we can recognize that it is an incredibly difficult game to look at a 17/18 year old HS student and project him to the CFB game in 2-3 years ... ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE!

Not picking on you, but this narrative you (and others) have chosen is abundantly pointless. Especially for OL.
The examples you've chosen are from the extreme end of the bell curve. They don't disprove my assertion that most lower rated OL don't pan out. When we start developing those sorts of players--or even just produce middle of the pack B1G offensive lines--I'll give our staff the benefit of the doubt in recruiting. Until that time, I'll remain rightfully skeptical.

Because he is Charlie Weis 2.0

He gets great skilled players, but the OL don’t like the style of offense because it minimizes them. And defense is an afterthought.

Those things lead to recruiting skilled players, a lot of offense & hype, but below .500 record.

Brohm is a high-powered offense, flashy, .500 coach. Just like Weis.

why don’t you go to the ACC boards

Reactions: HarrysPostGame13
The examples you've chosen are from the extreme end of the bell curve. They don't disprove my assertion that most lower rated OL don't pan out. When we start developing those sorts of players--or even just produce middle of the pack B1G offensive lines--I'll give our staff the benefit of the doubt in recruiting. Until that time, I'll remain rightfully skeptical.
I bet our staff is tremendously thankful that YOU give them the benefit of the doubt. Blessed.

Brother, you really can't expect to be taken seriously. I just gave you NUMEROUS examples across all OL positions from the most recent draft.

That's not extreme on some fictitious bell curve.

Wring your hands and lose sleep if you like.

It's not that we don't target or prioritize highly regarded HS OL, it's just that we land almost none of them. We've landed so many good to great receivers that we're already seeing lesser Brohm recruits at the position leave due to lack of playing time, and we have already landed more good WR this class, yet we still cannot land top tier or even good OL commitments, even though the need is glaring. In fact we can't even land fill-in transfers now, like we did before, even when we think we have. That jerk who magically flipped to TCU comes to mind. It's comical at this point how bad we are at improving the OL. We're like Charlie Brown going to kick the football when it comes to OL.
This is why people mock your posts. Right here.

Reactions: Purdue85
Lol? How about 2 captains transferring from IU because they lost their starting gigs to younger, more talented players? Hilarious.

WTH?

A four year starter (well, 3+), Captain, considered a mid-round NFL pick prior to last year, going to a program (Iowa) known as "Offensive Line U", and you're going to play that card.

"Hilarious."

That dude wanted out of Blowmington.

Reactions: JRowdy20
WTH?

A four year starter (well, 3+), Captain, considered a mid-round NFL pick prior to last year, going to a program (Iowa) known as "Offensive Line U", and you're going to play that card.

"Hilarious."

Cronk was not considered a mid round pick by anyone.

If he was, I'd like to see the mock showing it.

WTH?

"Hilarious."

At least know the facts of the situation before presenting your own made up narrative as fact.They told him he would be playing OG in 2020 and he left. It is what it is. Pigelow's post is correct, he 'lost' his starting OT spot. Best of luck to him.

Edit: looks like the source you just provided confirms this for you.

Last edited:
At least know the facts of the situation before presenting your own made up narrative as fact.They told him he would be playing OG in 2020 and he left. It is what it is. Pigelow's post is correct, he 'lost' his starting OT spot. Best of luck to him.

Edit: looks like the source you just provided confirms this for you.

Holy crap, brother!

It was a dumb@ss post I responded to.

IU wanted him back and needed him.

You clowns are going into overdrive with your spin.

Holy crap, brother!

It was a dumb@ss post I responded to.

IU wanted him back and needed him.

You clowns are going into overdrive with your spin.
Of course IU wanted him back, they have a hole at OG. That doesn't make Pigalow's post any less accurate for why those two guys left..? Them's the facts, as they say. So I am not sure what you are trying to refute and nobody is trying to spin anything.

IU did want him back - that's true.

IU wanted him back to play guard. That's also true.

Cronk wanted to play tackle even though most NFL scouts projected him at guard. True as well.

Iowa told him he could play tackle. Whether that proves true is still TBD.

Of course IU wanted him back, they have a hole at OG. That doesn't make Pigalow's post any less accurate for why those two guys left..? Them's the facts, as they say. So I am not sure what you are trying to refute and nobody is trying to spin anything.

Wha...?

It made Pigalow's post idiotic. The point was clear: Losing Cronk was no big deal.

it was a helluva big deal.

spin away.

Wha...?

It made Pigalow's post idiotic. The point was clear: Losing Cronk was no big deal.

it was a helluva big deal.

spin away.
I don't see where he said it was no big deal. My take away from the post was that it was about the best possible circumstances to be losing two captains under, and doesn't really reflect as poorly on the IU program (or at all) as Rowdy's original post seemed to imply.

Reactions: IUHDog
What of I told you purdues offense line got better as the year went on and wasn't bad by the end of the year? Starting 3 underclassman. No reason the think they can't be above average this next year as they continue to recruit and develop the position. Unfortunately it isn't plug and play like WR. Lines take time to build.

I don't see where he said it was no big deal. My take away from the post was that it was about the best possible circumstances to be losing two captains under, and doesn't really reflect as poorly on the IU program (or at all) as Rowdy's original post seemed to imply.

Lol? How about 2 captains transferring from IU because they lost their starting gigs to younger, more talented players? Hilarious.

I'm not surprised.

It does reflect poorly. At a minimum, Cronk is a possible NFL player (SI article), 4 year starter, Captain, and that genius is trying to downplay it.

Pfffffffffffft.... lost their starting gig.

Reality: It's a huge loss.

You can continue to spin it any way you like, it's a horrible look.

I'm not surprised.

It does reflect poorly. At a minimum, Cronk is a possible NFL player (SI article), 4 year starter, Captain, and that genius is trying to downplay it.

Yea we will agree to disagree on what it means for the health of the program.

I'm not surprised.

Your own article said that we wanted him back but he didn't want to play guard...

Bedford is a projected star at left tackle, but it believed that Indiana still wanted Cronk to come back. The Hoosiers are losing longtime starting guard Simon Stepaniak and center Hunter Littlejohn and would have loved to have been able to plug Cronk in at guard and have him available to play tackle if necessary.

Not arguing at all if he's a big loss. He was gonna be one of our five best o-lineman, but he was gonna be a guard for us and he didn't want to play guard, which is fine. We are rolling with Bedford and Caleb Jones at tackle. We like where we are there.

Reactions: BTBall
Your own article said that we wanted him back but he didn't want to play guard...

Bedford is a projected star at left tackle, but it believed that Indiana still wanted Cronk to come back. The Hoosiers are losing longtime starting guard Simon Stepaniak and center Hunter Littlejohn and would have loved to have been able to plug Cronk in at guard and have him available to play tackle if necessary.

Not arguing at all if he's a big loss. He was gonna be one of our five best o-lineman, but he was gonna be a guard for us and he didn't want to play guard, which is fine. We are rolling with Bedford and Caleb Jones at tackle. We like where we are there.

It's not my article. It's SI.

You can like what you want. He's a huge loss. The fact he went to O-Line U is ample evidence.

Any clown who tries to portray it otherwise (which prompted my response) is exactly that: a clown.

I'm not surprised.

What about the other captain? He did lose his job to a younger, more talented player.

Has the other player finished a season yet?
That should tell you how much more talented he is, The captain started over 20 Big Ten games. Half a season was enough for the coaches and the captain, to know it's time for him to move on.

Exactly.

Facts are facts. All I did was state them. iU lost 2 captains in one offseason. Unless they were just given the title randomly it is a big deal. When you lose 2 captains in one year to the transfer portal , it’s a real big deal. Spin however you want. IU 2. Purdue 0.

Reactions: Level 42
Facts are facts. All I did was state them. iU lost 2 captains in one offseason. Unless they were just given the title randomly it is a big deal. When you lose 2 captains in one year to the transfer portal , it’s a real big deal. Spin however you want. IU 2. Purdue 0.

No spin needed. The irrelevance of your logic is obvious.

Reactions: wakeman2626
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT